Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hello, my name is...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScotOnTheRocks
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I just joined a few days ago, this looks like quite a place!

Iím ĎScotOnTheRocksí, and I was looking for a place to talk some Diamondbacks baseball. Iím originally from Scotland, and Iím really impressed that there seem to be one or two other Brits on the forum.

Clearly this team is going global!

Iím 38 years old, married, and we have 3 great kids, two boys age 10 and 12, and an 8 year old daughter, and weíre all big DíBacks fans. We live mainly in Flagstaff, Az. These days Iím really a stay-at-home dad/hubbie, I trained and worked as an architect, but nowadays I do sculptures, I have a small studio at the bottom of the garden, mainly just for the pleasure and relaxation it brings me, though I even occasionally sell the odd one! My other big interests are music, and astronomy, I like to lock myself in there at nights, with the DíBacks game on the radio, and my telescope, the night sky over the desert looks like it does nowhere else. My neighbour is a UFO spotter, but we wonít go into that!

My wife is on the faculty at NAU here in Flagstaff, so the general rule is that we live here during school term times, but we also spend quite a few weeks each year living back in Scotland, mainly in the summer. We have a log cabin in the village of Tarbet, built by my grandfather back in 1958, who was a fisherman, itís on the banks of Loch Lomond in the west of Scotland, I grew up nearby in the town of Inveraray, where my family are still spread around the area. I came to the USA 15 years ago, working for a British firm based in Phoenix, I was only supposed to be here for 8 months, but I met my wife, and we were married 12 months later, but my roots are very strongly in Scotland, so I go back home as often as I can.

I guess I should be a moderately regular poster here, as time allows, though we only have one computer in the house and it's always dog fight getting on it, especially during the evenings and weekends. I only really began watching the DíBacks back in 2003, when my father-in-law took me to my first ever game, I vividly remember we beat the Braves I think it was 7-5 or 7-6, and Junior Spivey hit a home run that only landed about 10 feet from me, so I nearly got a souvenir at my first ever game at The BOB! So Iím not going to pretend that I have anything like the knowledge of the team that you guys do, I mainly see baseball as a fun family thing, and not something to ever get all bent out of shape over, so I donít ever let sports stress me, my kids do enough of that already! We get to maybe 5-6 DíBacks games each year, weíre also big fans of the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team, oh, and of course the mighty Glasgow Rangers football club back home in Scotland! Iím not an argumentative person by nature, the internet is fun, but itís probably like the 100th most important thing in my life, so if you tell me that Iím wrong about something that I post on here, the chances are about 99.9% that youíll be right, but I can live with that!! Iíve never even been a member of a sports forum before, not ever, so thereís no point yelling at me if I screw up, I wouldnít even know what to do, so Iíd just go outside and into my hut and attack a chunk of clay before Iíd ever get into a row over baseball!

What else? Well I met Mark Grace once, and Randy Johnson, oh, and Bob Brenly. I also met Daron Sutton a couple of times, heís a friend-of-a-friend. My favourite players right now are Stephen Drew and Mark Reynolds, Reynolds signed my kidís mitts a couple weeks ago before the start of the only DíBacks game weíve so far been to, it was that insane Pirates game when we scored 13 runs inside about 15 minutes!... so Reynolds is a big star in our house right now, even if his BA stinks!! ...weíre actually pretty relaxed about the fact that even though he hardly ever hits the ball right now, whenever he does, it flies like 450 feet!

OK, thatís it, see you guys around!
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another friend of Jims Laughing

Welcome aboard. I am a MacDonald, my family has only been in the States and Canada since the 1930s and 40s. My grandfather grew up in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis. I want to someday visit his village, it would be cool.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotOnTheRocks wrote:
Hello.

Iím ĎScotOnTheRocksí, and I was looking for a place to talk some Diamondbacks baseball. Iím originally from Scotland, and Iím really impressed that there seem to be one or two other Brits on the forum.

Iím 38 years old, married, and we have 3 great kids, two boys age 10 and 12, and an 8 year old daughter, and weíre all big DíBacks fans. We live mainly in Flagstaff, Az. These days Iím really a stay-at-home dad/hubbie, I trained and worked as an architect, but nowadays I do sculptures, I have a small studio at the bottom of the garden, mainly just for the pleasure and relaxation it brings me, though I even occasionally sell the odd one! My other big interests are music, and astronomy, I like to lock myself in there at nights, with the DíBacks game on the radio, and my telescope, the night sky over the desert looks like it does nowhere else. My neighbour is a UFO spotter, but we wonít go into that!

My wife is on the faculty at NAU here in Flagstaff, so the general rule is that we live here during school term times, but we also spend quite a few weeks each year living back in Scotland, mainly in the summer. We have a log cabin in the village of Tarbet, built by my grandfather back in 1958, who was a fisherman, itís on the banks of Loch Lomond in the west of Scotland, I grew up nearby in the town of Inveraray, where my family are still spread around the area. I came to the USA 15 years ago, working for a British firm based in Phoenix, I was only supposed to be here for 8 months, but I met my wife, and we were married 12 months later, but my roots are very strongly in Scotland, so I go back home as often as I can.

I guess I should be a moderately regular poster here, as time allows, though we only have one computer in the house and it's always dog fight getting on it, especially during the evenings and weekends. I only really began watching the DíBacks back in 2003, when my father-in-law took me to my first ever game, I vividly remember we beat the Braves I think it was 7-5 or 7-6, and Junior Spivey hit a home run that only landed about 10 feet from me, so I nearly got a souvenir at my first ever game at The BOB! So Iím not going to pretend that I have anything like the knowledge of the team that you guys do, I mainly see baseball as a fun family thing, and not something to ever get all bent out of shape over, so I donít ever let sports stress me, my kids do enough of that already! We get to maybe 5-6 DíBacks games each year, weíre also big fans of the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team, oh, and of course the mighty Glasgow Rangers football club back home in Scotland! Iím not an argumentative person by nature, the internet is fun, but itís probably like the 100th most important thing in my life, so if you tell me that Iím wrong about something that I post on here, the chances are about 99.9% that youíll be right, but I can live with that!! Iíve never even been a member of a sports forum before, not ever, so thereís no point yelling at me if I screw up, I wouldnít even know what to do, so Iíd just go outside and into my hut and attack a chunk of clay before Iíd ever get into a row over baseball!

What else? Well I met Mark Grace once, and Randy Johnson, oh, and Bob Brenly. I also met Daron Sutton a couple of times, heís a friend-of-a-friend. My favourite players right now are Stephen Drew and Mark Reynolds, Reynolds signed my kidís mitts a couple weeks ago before the start of the only DíBacks game weíve so far been to, it was that insane Pirates game when we scored 13 runs inside about 15 minutes!... so Reynolds is a big star in our house right now, even if his BA stinks!! ...weíre actually pretty relaxed about the fact that even though he hardly ever hits the ball right now, whenever he does, it flies like 450 feet!

OK, thatís it, see you guys around!

IM ALL EARS!

pm if you have to!! seriously

BTW welcome!
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
ScotOnTheRocks
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys.

Hey Justin, I think Stornoway would blow you away, just the most ancient and beautiful place, many of the people still speak authentic gaelic language. You must go there some day and re-trace your family roots! I only ever went there once, to the Hebridean Celtic Music Festival in 2004, which is an amazing event to stage on an island with a population of less than 10,000 people, especially if you have a fascination with traditional Scottish folk music, as I do...

Hebridean Celtic Music Fetival

You really don't want to know my neighbour NJDBACKSFAN, he's like some reject from a bad episode of 'The X-Files'. I wish he'd move to Nevada, and maybe pitch a tent in Area 51. He knows I have a telescope, and I do admit I have seen some weird things that I can't explain in the sky, but he's a fruitcake, and I dread bumping into him. As you may know the Arizona/Nevada area has a reputation for 'sightings', especially since that 'Phoenix Lights' thing. I only ever went inside his house once, and he has shelves stacked with UFO stuff/books, and he sometimes disappears for weeks, don't know where he goes, maybe he's being abducted by aliens! He's very reclusive, and probably 300 pounds, and bald, so all my kids are scared of him, he probably doesn't get a lot of trick-or-treat visits on Halloween!
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotOnTheRocks wrote:

You really don't want to know my neighbour NJDBACKSFAN, he's like some reject from a bad episode of 'The X-Files'. I wish he'd move to Nevada, and maybe pitch a tent in Area 51. He knows I have a telescope, and I do admit I have seen some weird things that I can't explain in the sky, but he's a fruitcake, and I dread bumping into him. As you may know the Arizona/Nevada area has a reputation for 'sightings', especially since that 'Phoenix Lights' thing. I only ever went inside his house once, and he has shelves stacked with UFO stuff/books, and he sometimes disappears for weeks, don't know where he goes, maybe he's being abducted by aliens! He's very reclusive, and probably 300 pounds, and bald, so all my kids are scared of him, he probably doesn't get a lot of trick-or-treat visits on Halloween!

your are going to fit right in here! Laughing

Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotOnTheRocks wrote:
Thanks for that guys.

You really don't want to know my neighbour NJDBACKSFAN, he's like some reject from a bad episode of 'The X-Files'.

THERE ARE NO BAD EPISODES OF THE X-FILES!

You take that back! Laughing
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotOnTheRocks wrote:
Hello.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you and me will get along well, I am a student of architecture who will be entering my 3rd year fairly soon, and I too am big into Astronomy.
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotOnTheRocks wrote:

Bwah-ha-hah... Our plan for world domination continues apace!

Bobby Thomson for manager! Wink
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alba gu brŗth!
Stuart
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.....My name is Stuart and I support a crap baseball team Sad
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you were an Astros fan?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Augie's Rockkstarr
Draft Pick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Back, but with a new alias Reply with quote

April here...I've lived in Arizona for 10 years. Born in So Cal, raised in Colorado. Two-team fan. Going to college to become a Dental Assistant and obtain my Associate's Degree.

Anything else you want to know, just ask
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Back, but with a new alias Reply with quote

Augie's Rockkstarr wrote:
April here...I've lived in Arizona for 10 years. Born in So Cal, raised in Colorado. Two-team fan. Going to college to become a Dental Assistant and obtain my Associate's Degree.

Anything else you want to know, just ask

back with new alias?

what was your old name?

Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have just asked one of the mods or TAP to reset your password April.

She is "rockstar11"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: