Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2011 Payroll Speculation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
I did post this in another thread, but it applies here, as well.

Sell 15,000 tickets/game at an average price of $50/ticket over the course of 80 games, and you have $60 million. I realize there's more involved than that; but I find the "we have to reduce payroll" mantra to be less than credible...

So when the D-backs current 2 consecutive years in the cellar stretches to 5 years and attendance drops below 10,000/game, will we be subjected to "Diamondbacks are moving" stories?

Vegas Baby Wink

Serious though Im betting within the next 10 years team demands a new stadium to be built in Scottsdale. Wink
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

Sell 15,000 tickets/game at an average price of $50/ticket over the course of 80 games, and you have $60 million. I realize there's more involved than that; but I find the "we have to reduce payroll" mantra to be less than credible...

So when the D-backs current 2 consecutive years in the cellar stretches to 5 years and attendance drops below 10,000/game, will we be subjected to "Diamondbacks are moving" stories?

I wouldn't be at all surprised.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

I wouldn't be at all surprised.

puke icon
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move em to Portland? LV?

I dont think they would draw many in LV either?

I think the market is fine - shown by the tv ratings.

They just need to give people a reason to come to the ball park.

Fix the farm system, and this will work itself out.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
baldmaga wrote:

Right now, Laroche is NOT a Type A/B player, so the same could be said of keeping him too. The team will just have to decide whether another year of Laroche and POSSIBLE compensation is greater than whatever they could get in a trade for him now.

No reason to waste $7.5M on LaRoche for a team cutting payroll and planning to finish in the NL West cellar in 2011. Pay Allen 400K and let him play everyday, see if he pans out or not.

I rather doubt that the D backs could move Laroche without picking up the majority of the remaining money due him for 2010
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this is the first time I've seen the $40 million number in print. Shocked

From SI.

Arizona is using the San Diego road map: try to win with a $40 million payroll instead of $60 million by loading up on young pitching behind a core of position players just entering their prime.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/07/27/phillies.deadline/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0utxUj2CA
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
baldmaga wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

But wouldn't that money go largely into paying off all of the debts NOT attributed to the payroll. Vender costs, promotions, operation?

I did say it was simplistic...

But it also ignores other revenue sources beside ticket sales: parking; concessions, TV/radio rights, sponsorship agreements, MLB revenue-sharing, etc, etc, etc... Yes, there are expenses beyond the cost of the roster - but without a quality team on the field, why is anyone going to part with the price of a ticket?

I can't help but to think this is going to hurt All Star attendance too. When is the last time an ASG was held at a team's home during such a traumatic rebuilding process?

The game was in Pittsburgh recently, and they are always in a traumatic rebuilding process. Very Happy Also, the game was in Milwaukee in 2002, and they sucked pretty badly back then. The game will be popular if for no other reason than it is a chance to actually see good baseball players on one team. There won't be a lot of that next year otherwise...
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind that strategy. But only if the owners follow an NFL payroll pattern - gradualy increasing from below the budget to above the budget as the players develop, then blowing it up and building up the next wave.

If dropping payroll $20M below capacity is the strategy, though, it might make more sense to use that extra $20M now by picking up the salaries of players we trade in exchange for an upgrade in the prospects we receive in return. Basically buy the prospects we want through a trade.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:

If dropping payroll $20M below capacity is the strategy, though, it might make more sense to use that extra $20M now by picking up the salaries of players we trade in exchange for an upgrade in the prospects we receive in return. Basically buy the prospects we want through a trade.

That idea hadnt been in thoughts but i think it would be an excellent idea. The other idea me and Qudyj have been adovocating for a while is to use the money saved in going for higher celing players in the draft that would require an above slot signing bonus (which we usually shy away from) and also going for the top players in the international free agency period from the Dominican, Venezuela, Columbia, Mexico etc.

Both of these ideas promote the same idea and that is to rebuild from the bottom up and that means filling the farm system with loads of high end talent which should create a production line of quality players for the major league club. This is truly our only avenue of rebuilding a succesfull team other then new ownership pumping boatloads of cash into the club.
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that more money should be invested in the farm system both in paying for talent and in developing that talent. Be careful about overpaying for Hispanic players. While 50% of the minors is hispanic the majors do not reflect anywhere near that percentage. Too often the young hispanic/Latin player is used as cheap cannonfodder in the minors. Yes get and pay for the Carlos Gonzalezs of the world but make sure your scouting is top notch first.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks watcher wrote:
but make sure your scouting is top notch first.

Laughing
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Damn this is the first time I've seen the $40 million number in print. Shocked

From SI.

Arizona is using the San Diego road map: try to win with a $40 million payroll instead of $60 million by loading up on young pitching behind a core of position players just entering their prime.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/07/27/phillies.deadline/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0utxUj2CA

Does that mean Towers is going to be the GM?
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...do a better job with the farm system.

How exactly is this going to change? This organization does a lousy job developing prospects. Kids get drafted, are allowed to act like kids, and get brought up with ZERO plate discipline, begin learning how to field their position at the major league level, and can't find the fucking plate in a relief appearance!

For the most part, this club sucks in developing talent. They do a worse job developing it than they do drafting it.

Brandon Webb came up throwing the same sinker he was throwing at AA. At the major league level it took him 3 seasons to learn to field his position. He improved his change and curve after the 2004 season. He's the most talented major leaguer this organization has developed to date! And he developed more at the major league level than he did in the minors.

Ken Kendrick and his partnership group are all about improving franchise value at the minimum cost to their pocketbooks.

Welcome to Pittsburgh D-Backs fans.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

You will hear that before you hear the words "ownership steps up to invest in team".
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this looks quite a bit different now, doesn't it?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: