Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2011 All-Star game prep thread

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: 2011 All-Star game prep thread Reply with quote

D-backs preparing for 2011 All-Star Game

Good article by Steve Gilbert.

Quote:
Big events are commonplace in the Valley of the Sun, which has hosted three NBA All-Star Games, two Super Bowls and a number of NCAA football national championship games.

The Phoenix Coyotes were slated to host the 2006 game that was scheduled before the NHL decided not to hold the game during Olympic years. Amid fears that the Coyotes franchise will not right its ship by February 2011,
-wikipedia
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 All-Star game prep thread Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Amid fears that the Coyotes franchise will not right its ship by February 2011,
-wikipedia

What is it, Justin? What is it? The suspense is killing me...

Sadly, the ASG may be the only thing a baseball fan in Phoenix has to get excited about these days, or over the next year...

Hopefully Kendrick and Hall don't fire all the organizers sometime in December because they're striking out too much...
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2011 All-Star game prep thread Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Justin wrote:
Amid fears that the Coyotes franchise will not right its ship by February 2011,
-wikipedia

What is it, Justin? What is it? The suspense is killing me...

Sadly, the ASG may be the only thing a baseball fan in Phoenix has to get excited about these days, or over the next year...

Hopefully Kendrick and Hall don't fire all the organizers sometime in December because they're striking out too much...

Given the context of the article, it didn't really make sense. I just copied and pasted from wiki. Laughing
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "amid fears" part was talking about how the Coyotes were supposed to hold it in 2011, but the NHL instead moved it to Carolina. So they've tried twice to hold it in Phoenix, but it keeps getting taken away.

MLB better not get any ideas...
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
I think the "amid fears" part was talking about how the Coyotes were supposed to hold it in 2011, but the NHL instead moved it to Carolina. So they've tried twice to hold it in Phoenix, but it keeps getting taken away.

MLB better not get any ideas...

2011 nhl game was taken away because the nhl didnt know if the coyotes would still be here I think the dbacks will be here next year Wink

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to protest the All Star Game next year.

No, not because of SB1070. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But because after watching the All Star Game ceremonies over the last 4 days, I think a once great tradition has turned into a giant joke and a circus act.

Mostly because Bob Brenly couldn't manage a pitching staff, it is now a "game that matters" that has 68 players, replacement players, and players you can bring back into the game(!)...and all sorts of loopholes in the rules, including the DH in NL parks.

For constantly talking about being a purist and the history of the game when it comes to instant replay, Bud Selig certainly had no problems tossing out the basic rules of the game for the All Star Game.

Then on top of that, you have the HR derby, where the hitters you want to see like Pujols and Josh Hamilton won't participate because they are afraid of hurting their 2nd half production, and you are left with such great HR threats as Chris Young and Nick Swisher, good players, but not guys that I want to see in the HR derby.

I think the only part of the All Star Game I have any shot of getting tickets to, the Futures Game, is the only game I am even remotely interested in attending.
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
I think I am going to protest the All Star Game next year.

I understand the tradition of the ASG, even why they play it in the middle of the season. It's turned into nothing more than a popularity contest. If it meant something, then take out the fan voting. Or at least incentivize ticket purchases as part of their benefit. The more tickets you buy, the more you can vote.

YBC-Dog wrote:
Then on top of that, you have the HR derby, where the hitters you want to see like Pujols and Josh Hamilton won't participate because they are afraid of hurting their 2nd half production, and you are left with such great HR threats as Chris Young and Nick Swisher, good players, but not guys that I want to see in the HR derby.

The HR derby is bad batting practice. Why people ohh and ahh over hitting meatballs is beyond me. Stupid! No wonder the players are balking over this waste of time.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XB3 wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:

The HR derby is bad batting practice. Why people ohh and ahh over hitting meatballs is beyond me. Stupid! No wonder the players are balking over this waste of time.

A throwback to the steroids era that saved baseball after the 1994 strike. I never watch it and IMO it's time to put that spectacle to bed.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the majors to use the NBA’s idea of a skills competition. Have player test their skills at bunting, getting signs, stealing signs, stealing bases, taking grounders, shagging flies and kicking over Gatorade coolers.

Oh yeah, the NBA AS game festivities suck too. Nevermind.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a fastest skills competition like the NHL? Have fastest 1B-3B or 1B-home. Have a fastest pitch competition. Have an accuracy thing for the pitchers also.

matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think a bunting competition would be riveting?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
You don't think a bunting competition would be riveting

So thrilling!

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know how credit i give to wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Major_League_Baseball_All-Star_Game

but looks like 2011 ASG is July 12th

mark your calenders
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
XB3 wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:

A throwback to the steroids era that saved baseball after the 1994 strike. I never watch it and IMO it's time to put that spectacle to bed.

It'll be time to put it to bed when they aren't pulling in 6+ million viewers to watch it.

It's a harmless event that raises countless amounts of dollars for charities, and is fun for players and young fans. Whether or not you dislike the choice in competitors, or the idea of hitting batting practice home runs as a competition, the HR Derby isn't going anywhere.

Although, i always find the Celebrity Softball game to be oddly interesting afterwards. Maybe show that debacle live Laughing
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
TAP wrote:
XB3 wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:

It'll be time to put it to bed when they aren't pulling in 6+ million viewers to watch it.

It's a harmless event that raises countless amounts of dollars for charities, and is fun for players and young fans. Whether or not you dislike the choice in competitors, or the idea of hitting batting practice home runs as a competition, the HR Derby isn't going anywhere.

Although, i always find the Celebrity Softball game to be oddly interesting afterwards. Maybe show that debacle live Laughing

when the derby does not sell out... thats when they will can it...

im sure MLB has to divide the gate with the other teams (maybe Confused ) but at 49000*$20 (assume that is the ave cost of the tix for the derby) $980,000

not including beer, dogs, ice cream...ect... at $20 per person as an ave.

that is almost 2mil. in one night... ( dont forget parking...bars and dining around stadium)

and we all know a certain shadow will sell out, and make a cleaning!!!

that is a nice profit for kenny and the owners...

baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
baldmaga wrote:
TAP wrote:
XB3 wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:

im sure MLB has to divide the gate with the other teams (maybe Confused ) but at 49000*$20 (assume that is the ave cost of the tix for the derby) $980,000

that is almost 2mil. in one night... ( dont forget parking...bars and dining around stadium)

20 bucks?? Your estimates are a little off.... I mean, I know ticket RE-SALE isn't exactly the same as what the owners get, but the resale of these are coming in at $1400. These weren't $20 seats. And if they were, I need to get into the ticket brokering business.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
baldmaga wrote:
TAP wrote:
XB3 wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:

20 bucks?? Your estimates are a little off.... I mean, I know ticket RE-SALE isn't exactly the same as what the owners get, but the resale of these are coming in at $1400. These weren't $20 seats. And if they were, I need to get into the ticket brokering business.

1400 for the HR Derby? not the game but the Derby? Shocked

THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HR derby did not sell out this year. Tickets in at the Big A in the upper deck had a face value of $185.

If that is what it is here it will not sell out.

Hell with what Im hearing the game might not sell out.

Some season ticket holders are facing a 25% increase in their ticket costs for next season. Others I heard from last night said theirs are only going up $1.

Me Im just waiting to see what options I get for the HR Derby and Game as a group sale buyer of over 10k a year.

It better be worthy! Evil or Very Mad
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix events generally don't sell out for some reason. Whether it's a concert, ballgame or whatever, if you don't mind missing the first part of the event you can usually get reduced prices from scalpers. Not always, but usually.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: