Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2011 MLB Draft...Because It's Never Too Early
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: 2011 MLB Draft...Because It's Never Too Early Reply with quote

A 2011 MLB Mock Draft...is out....

have us taking 4th (sounds about right)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/403461-2011-mlb-mock-draftbecause-its-never-too-early#page/5

Quote:

4) Arizona Diamondbacks- Taylor Jungmann, RHP, Texas

Jungmann is a big guy, at 6'6'' and 200 pounds, and just the kind of guy Arizona needs to bring to the desert.

Jungmann is your typical big, hard-throwing right-hander from Texas, who passed up on signing with the Angels as a 24th rounder in 2008.

Much like Anthony Rendon, Jungmann took his game to college and exploded as a freshman, winning 11 games and leading the Longhorns to the College World Series Championship game. The tall righty also notched a 2.00 ERA and struck out 101 in 94.2 innings.

After garnering tons of attention, Jungmann's name popped up on the 2011 draft board, and Jungmann carried that momentum into the 2010 season. Texas is once again headed back to the Super Regionals of the CWS and Jungmann is once again leading the way.

Jungmann pitched 7.2 innings of two-hit ball and struck out seven Rice batters en route to winning their regional. And he did it all in only 84 pitches.

In a feast for the eyes, Jungmann will hopefully get the chance to go toe-to-toe with TCU's Matt Purke in the Super Regional this weekend.

Regardless of the result, Jungmann is still one of the top right-handers available in 2011. His mid 90s fastball explodes out of his hand and his slider-changeup combo is one of the best any college arm has to offer right now.

He should be a easy top five pick, and the D-Backs should have the money to sign him considering all the coin they'll save on seventh pick Barrett Loux this year.

1)so it looks like we prob wont sign this years 1st, so we will get of those extra picks for not signing Loux

2) what do you guys think if this draft? top heavy with college pitching

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409704-2011-mlb-mock-draft-20high-schoolers-included#page/6

this one has us taking a high schooler pitcher at 5

Quote:
Henry Owens has the pitcher's body that Daniel Norris lacks.

And that singular fact could end up pushing Norris into the number one prep spot by the end of 2010, but for right now he ranks second. But he is still a top-five talent and a real find for the D-Backs at number five.

Owens stands 6'5" and has plenty of room to grow in terms of weight and maybe a little in terms of height, which is scary for a kid who already deals in the high 80s.

Clearly the high 80s have been enough, as Owens struck out 127 batters this year in only 87.2 innings, compiling a 9-3 record.

Owens' team lost in the state tournament to the team that featured 2010 draft pick Peter Tago, even with the lefty pitching a three-hit complete game, striking out 12.

Owens also features much better command of his fastball, curveball, and changeup than Norris does, but until he can crank his heater up a few notches, he'll remain a notch lower.

Comparison: Madison Bumgarner....but with better breaking ball and slightly worse fastball

im sure you guys have better sites...

but i have turned the page on 2010 and looking forward to a top 5 pick and a extra pick for not signing this years (as people think)
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad

Last edited by NJ-DBACKS-FAN on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say we won't sign Loux?

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:

im not saying it, but the end of the piece hints at it....

Quote:

He should be a easy top five pick, and the D-Backs should have the money to sign him considering all the coin they'll save on seventh pick Barrett Loux this year.

Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Jdub wrote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh, no it doesn't.
It just says they'll save on him. Sign him cheaply.

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Jdub wrote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh, no it doesn't.

we will see, for the record i hope he signs... but i thought the money for the picks were slot money? or do i have the NBA confused with the MLB draft?

Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna post a thread for the draft next year after the all star break but ill instead cover what i was gonna stay here.

I think we'll sign Loux but if we dont it will probably be one of the best years to do it considering the amazing depth of talent that will be available next year. With the extra pick we would be able to sign talent for slot at next years 7th pick that not only will likely be better then most years but will be willing to sign for less because of the loaded class they are in next year.

Next years class looks loaded in every department with the best depth likely available in the college pitching department, though the best player is currently thought to be 3B Anthony Rendon from Rice.

There is elite talent all over the place in the draft next year and here is just a snapshot of elite players considered to have a chance of fighting their way into the top 10 alone

College pitching
Gerritt Cole UCLA
Trevor Bauer UCLA
Matt Purke
Matt Barnes UCONN
Jack Armstrong Vanderbilt
Sonny Gray Vanderbilt

College position players
Anthony Rendon OF
Alex Dickerson OF
Jackie Bradley Jr OF
George Springer OF
Jason Esposito 3B

HS pitchers
Daniel Norris, having seen footage of this guy at PG he is already my early favorite.
Henry Owens
Dylan Bundy
Dylan Davis

HS position players
Travis Harrison
Christian Lopes
Blake Swihart
Josh Tobias

The real strength of next years class is that there is so much talent there that guys like Keith Law and Jason Churchill are saying that there will be guys available in the third and fourth rounds that would go in the first round in many other years. With such depth itd be really awesome if we were picking high so that in each round we'd have the opportunity to select the cream of a talent crop and an extra pick wouldnt go amiss either.

Last edited by Colt-Back on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Jdub wrote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh, no it doesn't.

Dude, it's called wishful thinking. Laughing
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Pilliere of MLB fanhouse gives a good early snapshot of the players he thinks are worth following over the next year for the 2011 draft here-

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/03/early-follow-list-for-2011-mlb-draft/
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Jdub wrote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh, no it doesn't.

That's the way I read it.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting litte read on the talent pool for next year from MLB Fanhouse, talking about the two best bats Anthony Rendon and Jackie Bradley Jr

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/06/team-usa-notes-talent-shines-bright/

and one of the top college pitchers Sonny Gray from Vandy

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/08/team-usa-notes-vanderbilts-gray-steals-show-on-day-two/
The Goat
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we tank for Gerrit Cole please?
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goat wrote:

We dont need to really tank as we have been absolutely crap when trying to win so keep that up and we could be there anyhow.
dbacks08
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we get Logan White as our GM so he can dominate this draft.

Giving White two top 10 picks in this class? Oh wow.

Not to mention drafting early in every round. . .
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks08 wrote:
Hopefully we get Logan White as our GM so he can dominate this draft.

Giving White two top 10 picks in this class? Oh wow.

Not to mention drafting early in every round. . .

If we are gonna be a club that builds from within like the Marlins then having somebody like Logan White as the GM would be a definite plus with his extensive experience and success in the scouting department.
azentropy
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Goat wrote:

If we tried to tank we would suck at that too...
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks_Nation wrote:
Jdub wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Jdub wrote:

Quote:

Uhhhhh, no it doesn't.

That's the way I read it.

how is it reading now? Wink

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-latest-news-from-July-070110

Quote:
July 10 News and Notes
Sources: D-backs break off talks with their No. 1 pick 9:42 p.m.

Arizona has broken off negotiations with first-round draft pick Barret Loux, a right-handed pitcher out of Texas A&M, FOXSPORTS.com learned, in a move that might have played into the firing of general manager Josh Byrnes.

Loux, the sixth pick overall, saw his 2009 season cut short because of elbow surgery to remove bone chips, and in pre-draft discussions was considered a likely late-first-round or second-round pick in. Although he returned to pitch for A&M in 2010, Loux reportedly did not pass a physical required for signing with Arizona.

Loux, however, wound up being taken by Arizona even though scouting director Tom Allison and his scouting staff were debating right-handed pitcher Deck McGuire of Georgia Tech and left-handed pitcher Chris Sale of Florida Gulf Coast for the selection, according to several scouting sources.

Allison, however, was overruled by Byrnes and then-pro scouting director Jerry Di Poto, now the acting general manager. During the spring, Di Poto's professional scouting staff was assigned to evaluate talent for the draft instead of their normal assignments in pro scouting.

Sale was eventually selected by the Chicago White Sox with the 13th pick in the first round, and is already signed. McGuire went to Toronto with the 11th selection overall.

Arizona president Derrick Hall was did not respond to a voice message or text message on Saturday night.

Tracy Ringolsby

Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Oh that's bullshit.
Like you foresaw that he'd fail his physical...
That was luck.
And hey, I'm happy to be wrong. Very Happy

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Oh that's bullshit.
Like you foresaw that he'd fail his physical...
That was luck.
And hey, I'm happy to be wrong. Very Happy

i just said i read it as if he will not sign, bad arm or not...

when i read it, thats what i thought! Very Happy

but this link makes you think he will still sign?

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/07/10/10/Post-Game-Report-July-10-D-Backs-bullpen/landing_dbacks.html?blockID=269380&feedID=3607

so what is it?? love when you get two different reports... Rolling Eyes

Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its heading towards Loux not signing because of the fact that Magrder and others have reported that his shoulder is the reason he has failed his physical and considering that this was the reason he must significant time in his senior year in high school and also in college the Dbacks must now realise that this is a major setback and address as such. They should cut their losses now and save the money for next years 7th pick.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official report due tomorrow, but expected #1 selection Anthony Rendon (3B, Rice U) suffered multiple fractures in his ankle and foot during tonight's Team USA game, and speculation is that he will need a pin(s) inserted.

It would take a dreadfully slow start to his '11 campaign and serious doubts about the health and durability of his ankle/foot, but I would say the chance of him falling past 1-1 is now non-zero, even if it is extremely remote.

Here's a snippet from Jason Churchill's scouting report on Rendon, published just yesterday:

Jason Churchill wrote:
"He's got eye-popping, God-given abilities," says a long time National League scout. "He plays both sides of the game. The kid's capable of All-Stars, of MVPs."

2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
Official report due tomorrow, but expected #1 selection Anthony Rendon (3B, Rice U) suffered multiple fractures in his ankle and foot during tonight's Team USA game, and speculation is that he will need a pin(s) inserted.

It would take a dreadfully slow start to his '11 campaign and serious doubts about the health and durability of his ankle/foot, but I would say the chance of him falling past 1-1 is now non-zero, even if it is extremely remote.

Here's a snippet from Jason Churchill's scouting report on Rendon, published just yesterday:

Jason Churchill wrote:
"He's got eye-popping, God-given abilities," says a long time National League scout. "He plays both sides of the game. The kid's capable of All-Stars, of MVPs."

Rendon is gonna be a star unless an injury like this ruins him but i would find it impossible to imagine any chance of him falling to us. At the moment The Orioles and Pirates are almost locks for the first and second picks respectively and our best chance would be at no 3. If Rendon somehow falls past 1 and 2 it must be because of significant injury worries and i dont see why we would be the one to take a risk on paying a high bonus to a serious injury worry.

Last edited by Colt-Back on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
SheriffWannaBe wrote:

Jason Churchill wrote:

Rendon is gonna be a star unless an injury like this ruins him but i would find it impossible to imagine any chance of him falling to us. At the moment The Orioles and Pirates are almost locks for the first and second picks respectively and our best chance would be at no 3. If Rendon somehow falls past 1 and 2 it must be because of significant injury worries and i dont see why we would be the one to take a risk on paying a high bonus to a serious worry.

Well, we could always tank it...
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:

Rendon is gonna be a star unless an injury like this ruins him but i would find it impossible to imagine any chance of him falling to us. At the moment The Orioles and Pirates are almost locks for the first and second picks respectively and our best chance would be at no 3. If Rendon somehow falls past 1 and 2 it must be because of significant injury worries and i dont see why we would be the one to take a risk on paying a high bonus to a serious worry.

We'd probably suck at that too.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Justin wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:

We'd probably suck at that too.

Put Seth Etherton into the rotation and sign Fruto from GBL Tucson?
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close is Rendon to the bigs?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: