Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kirk Gibson as Manager
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Kirk Gibson as Manager Reply with quote

Thought he needed his own thread and here is a little tidbit from ESPN that you wont see in the local press.

Before the game, Gibson said he had talked to the whole team about RF Justin Upton being picked off at first with a runner at second Friday night. "I told them it was lazy and a mental error," Gibson said. "... He knows it. He's way too good for that."
Otacon
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this guy was fiery. That's what I heard.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he hit two HRs in World Series play. No biggie. Hey, a friend od mine says he was there in 1988 Wink
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand his thought process tonight: play the scrubs and see what shit sticks to the wall. Knowing that they all probably had balls of ice under Gibby's eye, the errors speak... good call IMHO from Gibby's perspective. We won't be seeing some of these guys a couple weeks from now.

Quoting Slayer: "Die by the sword!"
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Gibby, I'm sure he's been waiting a while for this and it must have been frustrating to be skipped over for this role.
jdeverehill
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
I think I understand his thought process tonight: play the scrubs and see what shit sticks to the wall. Knowing that they all probably had balls of ice under Gibby's eye, the errors speak... good call IMHO from Gibby's perspective. We won't be seeing some of these guys a couple weeks from now.

Makes a lot of sense to me as well.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:

Or Quoting Matt: Suck it
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the Owners and CEO know what they're doing... Rolling Eyes [/list]
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:

Or Quoting Matt: Suck it

Quoting Matt and Slayer are the same thing! Laughing
CoJackFan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gibson will get this team to play 500 ball the rest of the year and unfortunately I see the front office not keeping him as manager for next year.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want them to "turn it around" in a lost season. Fail big and fail productively - get the high draft selection and get after it again in constructing a competitive, and COMPLETE, roster with the minimal commitment the owners provide.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
I don't want them to "turn it around" in a lost season. Fail big and fail productively - get the high draft selection and get after it again in constructing a competitive, and COMPLETE, roster with the minimal commitment the owners provide.

x2
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:

My thinking as well.
Smokey
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

My thinking as well.

Count me in.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
dirtygary wrote:

My thinking as well.

Count me in.

x5

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
jethawker
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Kirk Gibson manage? Right now, we just don’t know. But it seems many people have the perception that Gibby yells and screams--and this would be a good leadership trait. Maybe. If his previous coaching stints are the only metric to gauge his managerial success, Kirk Gibson will be a failure as our D-backs leader.

Leadership is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. He’s the inspiration and director of the action. The person in the group that possesses the combination of personality and skills that makes others want to follow his direction.

Great leaders have the Midas touch. Every organization they’ve ever led or had a leadership role in has success. Kirk Gibson’s playing career and character speaks for itself and is beyond reproach. However, does his success between the lines as a player automatically translate into being a great manager? No. But it helps. He was around very successful managers and experienced the pinnacle of a baseball player. There have been many exceptional players who are poor managers and leaders. Likewise, many sub-par players have gone on to be exceptional managers and leaders in sports.

What’s important is to look at Kirk Gibson’s performance as a baseball coach and the success his teams have had on the field. His tours with the Tigers and Diamondbacks resulted in one winning, 90-game season. He has be a constant in the Diamondbacks clubhouse in the unsuccessful tenures of Melvin and Hinch. His day-to-day dealings with these players can't be understated. Many people may speculate that Gibson has what it takes to be a great manager and he’s only been standing in the shadows waiting for his turn at the wheel. However, with one of the most important coaching positions on the team, he has had the opportunity to yell, scream, motivate, and direct the players to a common goal and to follow his direction. Great leaders lead regardless of the scope of their influence.

Americans love the underdog. The “Miracle” story. Hope spreads amongst fan bases like Lindsay Lohan TMZ coverage. People want Kirk Gibson to be their savior. They want to believe that he sat silently on the bench, biding his time until his opportunity rose, and then with a few terse curse words and stone-face stare, a winning streak would transpire like his caterpillar ‘stache.

Is a leader born or made? I believe great leaders are born. It’s what they do. Regardless of their role or position they make good stuff happen. Soon, people start believing and the aura smells success. Winning breeds winners and leaders breed leaders.

When Melvin was fired the players lost a “players’ coach”. Doesn’t everyone want to go to work and enjoy their boss? Would you rather work for someone you “like” or “respect”? It’s easier to work for the former but you become better under the latter. As the players underperformed for BoMel and when someone had to go—the players preferred Melvin to themselves. With Hinch, they decided not to accept him in the managerial role and continued the status quo. It’s the path of least resistance.

Today’s young players want to make the most money in the fastest period of time. Don’t we all. Today’s young players want to enjoy coming to work and the relationship with their boss. Don’t we all. Today’s young players believe that their careers are only the beginning and the championships will come with time. It’s here that Carpe Diem and leadership can make the most difference. Great leaders are respected first and feared second. Liked is not on the follower’s list of admired leadership qualities until success happens. Can great leaders be yellers and screamers? Yes, but only when used sparingly and in the right circumstances.

Can Kirk Gibson be successful as our manager? Yes. But he needs to follow his instincts. He needs to make changes. The “way it’s always been done” has led to failure and needs to be changed in all aspects of their lives. He needs to designate his lieutenants and charge them with their leadership duties. He has the respect of the players from his playing days but not as their manager or his previous coaching gigs. If they liked him before, he needs to be viewed by them now as different, suiting his new position in their relationship. Yelling is effective at times but fear is more sustainable until results appear. They don’t have to like or admire Kirk Gibson, but rather respect and fear him. Losing breeds losers. Winning breeds winners.

If Kirk Gibson has great leadership abilities we’ll begin to see the signs of it over the next few weeks. Look for player moves (to the bench and outta town). Most players will initially be irritable and less outspoken. Stuff will get broken in the clubhouse and locker room. One or two players will be appointed as leaders of the team by Gibson or take on this new role to help right the ship. Young men will be pushed harder than they’ve ever been pushed before. They’ll be broken. And some will give up--they’ve ‘mailed in’ their performance for Melvin and Hinch so they’ll have no problem just doing even less.

Also look for the players to meet people who make very little money but have very rewarding lives or have overcome tremendous personal odds. People who live every day like it's their last.

Look for a veteran to be added to the team asap. A guy with quality skill sets but never on the right team at the right time. A grey beard with 2, maybe 3, seasons left and no rings on their hands. A vet starving for a WS appearance. Also look for a seasoned player with bling on two fingers to be roster-bound soon. These two players will provide the leadership on/off the field where only a player can influence the younger ones. Nobody can lead better than the great ones in the foxhole next to you.

Kirk Gibson used to be that great leader on the football field and the baseball diamond. Let’s hope he has what it takes to manage outside the foxhole.

It’s an exciting time. Good luck Kirk Gibson.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jethawker wrote:
Can Kirk Gibson manage? Right now, we just don’t know. But it seems many people have the perception that Gibby yells and screams--and this would be a good leadership trait. Maybe. If his previous coaching stints are the only metric to gauge his managerial success, Kirk Gibson will be a failure as our D-backs leader.

Leadership is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal. He’s the inspiration and director of the action. The person in the group that possesses the combination of personality and skills that makes others want to follow his direction.

Great leaders have the Midas touch. Every organization they’ve ever led or had a leadership role in has success. Kirk Gibson’s playing career and character speaks for itself and is beyond reproach. However, does his success between the lines as a player automatically translate into being a great manager? No. But it helps. He was around very successful managers and experienced the pinnacle of a baseball player. There have been many exceptional players who are poor managers and leaders. Likewise, many sub-par players have gone on to be exceptional managers and leaders in sports.

What’s important is to look at Kirk Gibson’s performance as a baseball coach and the success his teams have had on the field. His tours with the Tigers and Diamondbacks resulted in one winning, 90-game season. He has be a constant in the Diamondbacks clubhouse in the unsuccessful tenures of Melvin and Hinch. His day-to-day dealings with these players can't be understated. Many people may speculate that Gibson has what it takes to be a great manager and he’s only been standing in the shadows waiting for his turn at the wheel. However, with one of the most important coaching positions on the team, he has had the opportunity to yell, scream, motivate, and direct the players to a common goal and to follow his direction. Great leaders lead regardless of the scope of their influence.

Americans love the underdog. The “Miracle” story. Hope spreads amongst fan bases like Lindsay Lohan TMZ coverage. People want Kirk Gibson to be their savior. They want to believe that he sat silently on the bench, biding his time until his opportunity rose, and then with a few terse curse words and stone-face stare, a winning streak would transpire like his caterpillar ‘stache.

Is a leader born or made? I believe great leaders are born. It’s what they do. Regardless of their role or position they make good stuff happen. Soon, people start believing and the aura smells success. Winning breeds winners and leaders breed leaders.

When Melvin was fired the players lost a “players’ coach”. Doesn’t everyone want to go to work and enjoy their boss? Would you rather work for someone you “like” or “respect”? It’s easier to work for the former but you become better under the latter. As the players underperformed for BoMel and when someone had to go—the players preferred Melvin to themselves. With Hinch, they decided not to accept him in the managerial role and continued the status quo. It’s the path of least resistance.

Today’s young players want to make the most money in the fastest period of time. Don’t we all. Today’s young players want to enjoy coming to work and the relationship with their boss. Don’t we all. Today’s young players believe that their careers are only the beginning and the championships will come with time. It’s here that Carpe Diem and leadership can make the most difference. Great leaders are respected first and feared second. Liked is not on the follower’s list of admired leadership qualities until success happens. Can great leaders be yellers and screamers? Yes, but only when used sparingly and in the right circumstances.

Can Kirk Gibson be successful as our manager? Yes. But he needs to follow his instincts. He needs to make changes. The “way it’s always been done” has led to failure and needs to be changed in all aspects of their lives. He needs to designate his lieutenants and charge them with their leadership duties. He has the respect of the players from his playing days but not as their manager or his previous coaching gigs. If they liked him before, he needs to be viewed by them now as different, suiting his new position in their relationship. Yelling is effective at times but fear is more sustainable until results appear. They don’t have to like or admire Kirk Gibson, but rather respect and fear him. Losing breeds losers. Winning breeds winners.

If Kirk Gibson has great leadership abilities we’ll begin to see the signs of it over the next few weeks. Look for player moves (to the bench and outta town). Most players will initially be irritable and less outspoken. Stuff will get broken in the clubhouse and locker room. One or two players will be appointed as leaders of the team by Gibson or take on this new role to help right the ship. Young men will be pushed harder than they’ve ever been pushed before. They’ll be broken. And some will give up--they’ve ‘mailed in’ their performance for Melvin and Hinch so they’ll have no problem just doing even less.

Also look for the players to meet people who make very little money but have very rewarding lives or have overcome tremendous personal odds. People who live every day like it's their last.

Look for a veteran to be added to the team asap. A guy with quality skill sets but never on the right team at the right time. A grey beard with 2, maybe 3, seasons left and no rings on their hands. A vet starving for a WS appearance. Also look for a seasoned player with bling on two fingers to be roster-bound soon. These two players will provide the leadership on/off the field where only a player can influence the younger ones. Nobody can lead better than the great ones in the foxhole next to you.

Kirk Gibson used to be that great leader on the football field and the baseball diamond. Let’s hope he has what it takes to manage outside the foxhole.

It’s an exciting time. Good luck Kirk Gibson.

With all due respect, this post is utter crap. You don't express a single interesting point or idea.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ambivalent about Gibson being the manager. It seems that one reason a lot of people like him is purely cosmetic: he just LOOKS like a tough guy and a good manager. But as we all know, looks can be deceiving.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:

With all due respect, this post is utter crap. You don't express a single interesting point or idea.

Then why reply to it?
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:

Rolling Eyes
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
I'm ambivalent about Gibson being the manager. It seems that one reason a lot of people like him is purely cosmetic: he just LOOKS like a tough guy and a good manager. But as we all know, looks can be deceiving.

This post is utter crap. You don't express a single interesting point or idea.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
FatLeprechaun wrote:

Then why reply to it?

To encourage more interesting posts
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
FatLeprechaun wrote:

Actually, I do. How old are you again?
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
FatLeprechaun wrote:

This post is utter win. You express a very interesting point and idea. Very Happy

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when are interesting points or ideas a requirement of posting? While I'm at it, who the hell appointed you as the arbiter of posts?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: