Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
OPS since May 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: OPS since May 1 Reply with quote

The team was scoring a lot of runs in April, but since then, not so much.
Through April 30th 5.8 R/G, .818 OPS
May 1-July 1: 4.1 R/G, .723 OPS

Here are the OPS leaders on the team, min 75 PA's, since May 1

Upton .895
Young .790
Parra .753
Ryal .752
Reynolds .749
Laroche .742
Snyder .737
Johnson .723
Drew .698
Jackson .663

Remember when Kelly Johnson was our all star? good times.

Selective begin and end points, to be sure. Overall on the season our numbers are still pretty much close to league avg.....94 OPS+, vs. Nlg avg 95 OPS+. We've scored 20 runs more than Nlg. avg team, (458 vs. 438) but of course we play our home games in Chase.

One hot month and two cold months have added up to league avg.....but if I were to project the balance of the season, I'd project below league avg offense, as we've seen for the last two months.

At least we know we can fall back on the old reliable axiom.....as goes Mark Reynolds, so goes the D Backs offense. It's been that way since May of 2007, and it doesn't appear it will change any time soon.

MR woke up on May 2nd with a .991 OPS on .253/.376/.614, with a quite reasonable 28 K's in 101 PA's. He had 9 HR, 23 RBI, and 15 walks.

Since May 2nd: .193/.303/.403 .706 OPS 80 K's in 208 PA's 9 HR, 27 RBI

He will probably start a hot streak pretty soon....he usually does when I start beating up on him.

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering about the discrepency between MR's OPS since May 1 , (.749) and since May 2 (.706) it's because he had a two homer day on May 1. Like I said, selective begin and end points. Razz
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as always, good stuff shoewizard.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it made me die a little inside, good read.

Can we make one big thread called "Shoewizard's Reasons On Why The Diamondbacks Suck"?

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:

Can we make one big thread called "Shoewizard's Reasons On Why The Diamondbacks Suck"?

LOL.....I don't mean it that way...but I can see it's how it comes off. Thanks for the reminder.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Parra is your third best player you've got issues.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upton gives us hope. And a few others. I'm just saying that... something wasn't right and may now be. We'll see.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think MR will wake up, he's defied convention for so long I believe he's got something special. He may only hit .230 this year, but it will be a very valuable .230.

Looking at the list I think Young and Parra will regress, while Upton, Reynolds, LaRoche, Drew, and Johnson will be significantly better (yes, Upton will mash over .900 rest of season). And even a regressed Parra is an upgrade over this years CoJack, while Montero will be a big upgrade over Snyder at bat. I'm still an optimist about this teams offense and starting pitching. The only thing that sucks worse than the bullpen is ownership.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
When Parra is your third best player you've got issues.

he is a 4th OF, defensive replacement
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Warhorse
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Jdub wrote:

LOL.....I don't mean it that way...but I can see it's how it comes off. Thanks for the reminder.

I read it more as a justification for Shoewizard's selection of Justin Upton as the lone Diamondback All-Star. Ironically, he earlier criticized looking a one month's performance of Kelly Johnson. Confused

I'm a Justin Upton fan but you don't, or shouldn't, send a player to the All-Star game based on potential. Send the guys performing the best that season. As odd as it is after last season, I think Chris Young is that guy on the 2010 Diamondbacks team.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhorse wrote:

I'm a Justin Upton fan but you don't, or shouldn't, send a player to the All-Star game based on potential. Send the guys performing the best that season. As odd as it is after last season, I think Chris Young is that guy on the 2010 Diamondbacks team.

Whoever is sent (pity Charlie Manuel for being put in a no win situation), the selection will only further emphasize how bad the Dbacks suck so far in 2010.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been saying fro awhile now..... CY24 should be and all-star... over anyone else..... anyone else makes it, that gravy

Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does CY deserve it over Upton? Is his 261/325/470/795 better than Upton's 269/355/472/827? No. Is he playing better right now? No. CY had a nice couple of months, but he's quickly returning to the player he's always been and is destined to be. Meanwhile, Upton is heating up and becoming himself again as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i think of who has had the most consistant 2010 i think of CY24, he does have good numbers (JU10 are alittle better in the stats you showed) but they have the same HR and it is not close in RBI. the BA is only .008 better

plus i think it is a great story, on how he has made major strides since a terrible 2009

Dylan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
when i think of who has had the most consistant 2010 i think of CY24, he does have good numbers (JU10 are alittle better in the stats you showed) but they have the same HR and it is not close in RBI. the BA is only .008 better

plus i think it is a great story, on how he has made major strides since a terrible 2009

CY has had a better 2010 than 2009, but Upton is our AS.

If you choose to go off of second half of 2009 to first half 2010 as some desire, Upton beats out Young.

If you choose to go off of name power and fan draw as some desire, Upton beats out Young.

It's a wash for best first half of the season so far.
Warhorse
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
Why does CY deserve it over Upton? Is his 261/325/470/795 better than Upton's 269/355/472/827? No. Is he playing better right now? No. CY had a nice couple of months, but he's quickly returning to the player he's always been and is destined to be. Meanwhile, Upton is heating up and becoming himself again as well.

Thanks for confirming my point. You don't reward potential... you reward results. Sort of like a real world job. Shocked
Dylan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

Thanks for confirming my point. You don't reward potential... you reward results. Sort of like a real world job. Shocked

I don't know how Oden's post confirms your point, but regardless your point can have it's own unintended consequences in this industry.
Warhorse
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

I don't know how Oden's post confirms your point, but regardless your point can have it's own unintended consequences in this industry.

Am I the only one who watches the games? Confused
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they'll take Upton or not, but I bet Johnson still gets some consideration with Utley out. It all depends on which players are taken from other teams that only have 1 representative and I haven't looked at it. Heyward being out could open the door for Upton, but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson gets the nod if a 2B is needed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Warhorse
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
I don't know if they'll take Upton or not, but I bet Johnson still gets some consideration with Utley out. It all depends on which players are taken from other teams that only have 1 representative and I haven't looked at it. Heyward being out could open the door for Upton, but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson gets the nod if a 2B is needed.

Good point there Oden. Since whomever is the Diamondbacks All-Star is going to be selected by the NL All-Star team manager, need at a particular position makes a whole lot of sense.
Dylan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

I highly doubt it, you are probably one of the best at useless douchy statements in this thread though so you've got that going for you :thumbup:
Warhorse
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

I highly doubt it, you are probably one of the best at useless douchy statements in this thread though so you've got that going for you :thumbup:

Yeah, because a spreadsheet reveals what the eyes can't see. Rolling Eyes
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

nope i watch, and i see a guy doing well at the plate, and doing great in the field...

so CY gets ZERO consideration as the dbacks rep for the all-star game?

Dylan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

Did me saying "one of the best" offend you so you had to double down to get the elusive "the best"?
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

Stats don't stop Jason Varitek from making the team Cool
Warhorse
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Warhorse wrote:
Oden wrote:

Did me saying "one of the best" offend you so you had to double down to get the elusive "the best"?

2010 Dumbest post of the Year nominee?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: