Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Congressman Bob Etheridge assaults student

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Congressman Bob Etheridge assaults student Reply with quote

Wow.

Sad thing is, if the kid had defended himself, he would probably be spending the next 20 years in prison for "assaulting" a Congressman.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he had a few too many drinks at that fundraiser.

Had their actions been reversed, that student would be in jail.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Assault" is quite a stretch. He knocked a camera out of his face. Not as bad as the ACORN "sting" videos but not entirely honest.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
"Assault" is quite a stretch. He knocked a camera out of his face. Not as bad as the ACORN "sting" videos but not entirely honest.

The camera wasn't the problem from my vantage point. Rather, grabbing his wrist and holding it tightly against his will, and then grabbing him by his neck and holding him against his will were what constitutes assault.

For asking a question? Confused
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
matt wrote:

The camera wasn't the problem from my vantage point. Rather, grabbing his wrist and holding it tightly against his will, and then grabbing him by his neck and holding him against his will were what constitutes assault.

The kid got a better reaction than he could have dreamed of. He wanted conflict and he got it. First starting with the trollish "Do you fully support the Obama agenda" question and then refusing repeated requests to identify himself "I'm working on a project".

The Congressman reacted very poorly, he should have just walked away and ignored the little shits.

I would like a full unedited version before I make a complete judgement.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the full unedited version as well. The good Congressman didn't mention any other unshown actions by the student reporter during his apology -- a week later after it hit YouTube.

Howard Stern did a lot to make ambush reporting popular, but regardless of whether we like that style or not, there's little question that the Congressman's actions were way out of line.

I've noticed over the years in our two-party system that the party currently out of power is more in favor of the rights of the media, while the party currently in power works to supress hard questioning of government actions. It seems to hold true regardless of which party is in control.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
TAP wrote:
matt wrote:

The kid got a better reaction than he could have dreamed of. He wanted conflict and he got it. First starting with the trollish "Do you fully support the Obama agenda" question and then refusing repeated requests to identify himself "I'm working on a project".

The Congressman reacted very poorly, he should have just walked away and ignored the little shits.

I would like a full unedited version before I make a complete judgement.

Wow, it really sounds like you're defending the guy. Yes it was assault. You don't have to break bones or draw blood for it qualify as assault. If the student had grabbed the Congressman's neck, he would be arrest for assault, plain and simple.

"...refusing repeated requests to identify himself." Seriously? The kid doesn't have to tell him his name, and certainly doesn't need to be held by the wrist (or neck) until he complies. Ridiculous. Besides, how does the kid's identity have any bearing on the question he asked.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Michael Moore and George Allen's "Macaca" moment, any member of Congress that doesn't run off when they see a "student" with a video camera is a complete moron. They aren't there to ask a question. They are there to get the video we saw today.

Heck, even if you run you can end up looking like a fool, as this video of Birther members of congress running from a camera man who wants to ask them whether they think Obama is a US citizen
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He touched me" isn't assault but the outrage machine can go ahead and pound their drum on this as much as they want. It isn't a great comp, but when similar incidents happen between celebrities and paparazzi nobody is crying assault or pressing charges.

TAP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
It isn't a great comp, but when similar incidents happen between celebrities and paparazzi nobody is crying assault or pressing charges.

Kanye West and Sean Penn among others know their way around the inside of a jail...
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Kanye West and Sean Penn among others know their way around the inside of a jail...

Just too bad we havent figured out how to keep them in there though Very Happy
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanye broke their cameras, those things are quite valuable.

Etheridge grabbed his arm and neck for a couple of seconds. He didn't hurt the kid. You want to charge him with false imprisonment as well?
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully everyone is just as onboard with this type of "journalism" when the asshole that moved in next to Sarah Palin gets some shocking audio or video (which is the real reason he moved in next to her).

Again, these are not "students asking questions" any more than the guy who moved in next door to Palin is a writer just looking for a quiet place to write a book.

These are political activists shoving a camera in someone's face in an attempt to get video footage that makes that that person look bad, which was proven to be a very successful with George Allen 'macaca' moment and many other cases (including this one).

And because it has been effective with the ADHD public that prefers quick soundbytes and 60 second videos to actually reading and researching candidates and what they stand for, the left and the right will both continue to use this type of thing, which is why I don't really feel sorry for this guy.

I have read that both parties instruct incoming members of Congress as part of their orientation to ALWAYS assume a camera is on them and to always be ready for people like this.

But what I see in regards to incidents like this, for the most part, is most people hedge their responses based on their political affiliation.

If someone on the left manhandles a cameraman shoving a camera in his face, people on the right scream about it and feign outrage and "assault" (I think it is clearly attempted murder...or an Eric Massa molestation/"wrestling" moment, I can't decide Smile ) and people on the left instincively defend him --- and then when Rand Paul makes controversial comments regarding the Civil Rights Act, people on the left feign outrage and call him a racist who wants segregation back, and people on the right defend him.

I am sure that when Mitt Romney got into a scuffle on an airplane with the guy sitting in front of him, if someone had a camera rolling they could have edited that footage to make Mitt look like an angry guy assaulting the person sitting in front of him if you simply edited out the footage of Mitt asking the guy politely to move his seat back and the guy getting in his face. We don't know if there is that moment in this footage because we weren't allowed to see it unedited.

I have complete faith that most of the people yelling for "assault charges" will be on the opposite end of the spectrum at some point during the election season, when this type of ambush journalism happens to someone on the right, which it will at some point.

I'll make sure to come back to this thread when it does to see how attitudes have miraculously shifted.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Hopefully everyone is just as onboard with this type of "journalism" when the asshole that moved in next to Sarah Palin gets some shocking audio or video (which is the real reason he moved in next to her).

Again, these are not "students asking questions" any more than the guy who moved in next door to Palin is a writer just looking for a quiet place to write a book.

These are political activists shoving a camera in someone's face in an attempt to get video footage that makes that that person look bad, which was proven to be a very successful with George Allen 'macaca' moment and many other cases (including this one).

And because it has been effective with the ADHD public that prefers quick soundbytes and 60 second videos to actually reading and researching candidates and what they stand for, the left and the right will both continue to use this type of thing, which is why I don't really feel sorry for this guy.

I have read that both parties instruct incoming members of Congress as part of their orientation to ALWAYS assume a camera is on them and to always be ready for people like this.

But what I see in regards to incidents like this, for the most part, is most people hedge their responses based on their political affiliation.

If someone on the left manhandles a cameraman shoving a camera in his face, people on the right scream about it and feign outrage and "assault" (I think it is clearly attempted murder...or an Eric Massa molestation/"wrestling" moment, I can't decide Smile ) and people on the left instincively defend him --- and then when Rand Paul makes controversial comments regarding the Civil Rights Act, people on the left feign outrage and call him a racist who wants segregation back, and people on the right defend him.

I am sure that when Mitt Romney got into a scuffle on an airplane with the guy sitting in front of him, if someone had a camera rolling they could have edited that footage to make Mitt look like an angry guy assaulting the person sitting in front of him if you simply edited out the footage of Mitt asking the guy politely to move his seat back and the guy getting in his face. We don't know if there is that moment in this footage because we weren't allowed to see it unedited.

I have complete faith that most of the people yelling for "assault charges" will be on the opposite end of the spectrum at some point during the election season, when this type of ambush journalism happens to someone on the right, which it will at some point.

I'll make sure to come back to this thread when it does to see how attitudes have miraculously shifted.

Well said.

I will say that I hope that if this happened just as you say, with a right-leaning Congressman being the one acting like an ass, that I would feel the same way about it. I think I can honestly say that I believe I would. Who knows, we humans are easily biased and we rarely even realize it. Smile

As to the possible edited footage, I think from what we saw, it is possible, but doubtful that anything could have transpired that would have dramatically changed the flavor of the altercation.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to say his reaction was appropriate, just that it is being hyped up by those with an agenda. No reasonable cop would arrest someone for grabbing someone like that.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I live in a country where this is considered an "assault". Pussies. Rolling Eyes

That's just walking down any street downtown... congressman or not.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we saw the same thing that I described here, this week --- except now it is acceptable for these "journalists" (with the help of Fox News) to try to destroy the lives of innocent people not involved in politics to try to score political points.

It is one thing to go after people who hold office, but Andrew Breitbart can burn in hell for going after someone who does not hold any office and twisting the video of her speech so it shows the exact opposite of what she was conveying.

Even though I don't agree with her on most subjects, Peggy Noonan had this very excellent article on the way Shirley Sherrod was dragged through the mud this week with a heavily edited video, and the power of redemption.

Peggy Noonan: The Power of Redemption

If my father was lynched when I was 17, I would be so full of bile and hatred that I would probably be a lost cause. That she can get up in front of an audience 45 years to the day after her father's death and tell this story is a testement to her as a person.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is amazing that she was able to overcome that. I hope she's able to sue Breitbart for defamation.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
So, we saw the same thing that I described here, this week --- except now it is acceptable for these "journalists" (with the help of Fox News) to try to destroy the lives of innocent people not involved in politics to try to score political points.

It is one thing to go after people who hold office, but Andrew Breitbart can burn in hell for going after someone who does not hold any office and twisting the video of her speech so it shows the exact opposite of what she was conveying.

Even though I don't agree with her on most subjects, Peggy Noonan had this very excellent article on the way Shirley Sherrod was dragged through the mud this week with a heavily edited video, and the power of redemption.

Peggy Noonan: The Power of Redemption

If my father was lynched when I was 17, I would be so full of bile and hatred that I would probably be a lost cause. That she can get up in front of an audience 45 years to the day after her father's death and tell this story is a testement to her as a person.

That's just awful. If you believe Breitbard, he is guilty of being a poor journalist as opposed to a blatant liar and complete scumbag (he claims he posted the clip unaltered as he received it from a source). Regardless, what happened to Mrs. Sherrod is inexcusable.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherrod is suing Breitbart

Good for her. She should also sue Fox News, who claims they didn't run with the story until after she was fired, except they did, on their web site for almost a full day before she was fired.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: