Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Holy Crap a Team wants Qualls :shock:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Qualls was a very good reliever who was streaky, and had issues sometimes in high leverage situations.

I think that the knee injury probably had more to do with his demise this year than we might have heard about. Probably something off in his delivery. He's been somewhat unlucky, it's true. But it's alot more than just bad luck.

Anyway......my guess is he will rebound in his career and go on to have success in the future. Just not here.

i would not be shocked at all... it would be just perfect...
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Qualls was a very good reliever who was streaky, and had issues sometimes in high leverage situations.

I think that the knee injury probably had more to do with his demise this year than we might have heard about. Probably something off in his delivery. He's been somewhat unlucky, it's true. But it's alot more than just bad luck.

Anyway......my guess is he will rebound in his career and go on to have success in the future. Just not here.

Well, I was telling people that I was concerned about Qualls's knee...
I was laughed at, mostly. I don't think Qualls's performance is funny...
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Well, I was telling people that I was concerned about Qualls's knee...
I was laughed at, mostly. I don't think Qualls's performance is funny...

Well, I don't think there's anything structurally wrong with his knee. He wouldn't be pitching if there was.

What I think more likely happened is either his knee felt different once he resumed throwing during the off-season/spring training and it threw his feel for his delivery off, or that he's felt trepidation in pitching after his injury and it's making him uncomfortable on the mound (or both).

So much of pitching is that confidence and timing. That's how a guy with mediocre stuff like Leake can carve through lineups, while countless guys with rocket-powered fastballs burn out year after year.

I agree with Shoe. I think Qualls will get his career back on track. I just don't think he will mentally be able to get himself to that point while wearing a Diamondbacks jersey.

As the great Yogi once said, "Baseball is 90% mental; the other half is physical."
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Chad Qualls to the list of relievers on the #Mets shopping list. #dbacks

http://twitter.com/JeffFletcherAOL/status/19086092205

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterx wrote:

Did they not just see him give up a run the other day?? Laughing
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
misterx wrote:

Chad Qualls, relief pitcher. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Chad Qualls will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
baldmaga wrote:
misterx wrote:

Chad Qualls, relief pitcher. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Chad Qualls will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

well he can go at any moment, to any team.... no tears shed here from me when he goes...

Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
So that false rumor that me and Justin made up turns out to be true after all...

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Laughing
So that false rumor that me and Justin made up turns out to be true after all...

i could only wish, hope and pray

THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on this guy can no longer be on the roster.

1. Trade him
2. DFA him
3. DL him and send him to the minors for rehab. That was my first choice months ago and I still dont know why it has not happened.

Whatever they are doing with him up here is not working. Way past time for him to be working on it somewhere else. Not here not again and again.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE! Evil or Very Mad
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Trade him
2. DFA him
3. DL him and send him to the minors for rehab. That was my first choice months ago and I still dont know why it has not happened.

Whatever they are doing with him up here is not working. Way past time for him to be working on it somewhere else. Not here not again and again.

Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Shadow, we need to use Qualls to downgrade the talent we get in a Haren trade! You should know that!

shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

1. Trade him
2. DFA him

It's not as simple as many think to "invent" an injury to put a guy on the DL. There are rules, and if you get caught making up an injury, you get in trouble. I know there are plenty of examples where we would assume the injury was "manufactured", but in most of those cases, it's a legit, albeit somewhat minor injury that is medically provable or justifiable.

You can't make shit up. (My comment during the game thread was tongue in cheek)
pete25
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm done watching this team --if you can call "this a team"-- i'll comeback when Qualls isn't on the team anymore.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

You can't make shit up. (My comment during the game thread was tongue in cheek)

Too late. You made the comment and in my book its enough to get him on the DL Wink

No take backs. Laughing
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NJ-Dbacks-Fan:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/rays-interested-in-chad-qualls.html

Laughing
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the Rays get him, he'll go 30 straight appearances without surrendering a run. Watch.

Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
And if the Rays get him, he'll go 30 straight appearances without surrendering a run. Watch.

Thats when you make the PTBNL contingent on performance.

Qualls is done in AZ no matter what so might as well move him somewhere. Get 3 lists of prospects to choose from. If he continues to his 2010 performance you pick off the C list with things like a dozen baseballs, 10 pounds of sunflower seeds etc. If he turns it around, pick off the B list with mediocre prospects on it. If he doesn't give up a run in 2 months, there's the A list with B/C grade prospects on it. Choose 1.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
Jdub wrote:

Thats when you make the PTBNL contingent on performance.

Qualls is done in AZ no matter what so might as well move him somewhere. Get 3 lists of prospects to choose from. If he continues to his 2010 performance you pick off the C list with things like a dozen baseballs, 10 pounds of sunflower seeds etc. If he turns it around, pick off the B list with mediocre prospects on it. If he doesn't give up a run in 2 months, there's the A list with B/C grade prospects on it. Choose 1.

"10 Pounds of sunflower seeds? We're gonna have to see a few scoreless appearances first. Maybe a few saves, and then we can talk about Ranch flavor." - Rays GM
ohdbacks
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI...Here is an article on fanGraphs today about Qualls...gives a good understanding of Post Trade Deadline moves....

This post is a combination of primer and thought about the post-deadline waiver period that comes each August. It came up during a conversation I had with Jonah Keri yesterday and we both agreed on the premise that this August could see more waiver deals than those in the past based on the financial fears buzzing around the league.

Take Chad Qualls for example. His contract calls for roughly $4.19 million to be paid to him this season. Since we’re right around 60 percent of the way done with the season, we can estimate that Qualls’ is still due somewhere between $1.6 and $1.8 million. Qualls will qualify for free agency after the season and seems unlikely to reach Type B compensation. Essentially, at season’s end the Diamondbacks will lose Qualls for nothing unless they re-sign him.

It is impossible to know whether Qualls has trade value equal to or exceeding the Diamondbacks’ desired return. The only indications we have are that Qualls is not on a new team and his performance seemingly calls for a lowered value from previous seasons. The combination of poor performance – even if only by prehistoric metrics – and pending free agency is not the kind that produces a euphoric potion of prospect goodness.

Say the Diamondbacks don’t find an offer to their liking by Saturday. They aren’t in contention and Qualls’ giant ERA probably won’t cause too much of a public relations nightmare, so what they can do after Saturday is place Qualls on waivers. The first time, these waivers are revocable. If a team, the Yankees for example, claimed Qualls, the D-Backs would have a few days to work out a trade with the Yankees for someone else who either A) cleared waivers (and thus is able to be traded throughout the n waiver deadline period); or B) is not on the 40-man roster.

If they could not agree to a trade then the D-Backs could either let the Yankees take him (and his $1.6-1.8 million price tag) or pull him off waivers. They could then place him back on waivers, but this time it would be irrevocable. Meaning, of course, the D-Backs could do nothing if the Yankees again got their paws on him besides pass the check.

The incentive for the Yankees (or whatever team) is simple. They (presumably) don’t give up much in the way of talent or players with major league roles at the time for an upgrade with a reduced cost. The D-Backs get some cash they can put towards whatever, and while it’s probably not the ideal return, it’s better than nothing.

And in a league where teams are supposedly more conscious about the bottom line than in recent years, that could be all it takes to acquire talent.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohdbacks wrote:
Essentially, at season’s end the Diamondbacks will lose Qualls for nothing unless they re-sign him.

Perish the thought. Shocked

Although I might consider resigning Qualls under the following, "it would never happen in a million years"-type scenario:

Qualls: Jerry - Mr. Dipoto, sir - I feel guilty at having taken over $4 million for my performance last year, because I know what you got in return was not what was expected of me. Tell you what: I'll forego free agency and sign a deal with the Diamondbacks to pitch for one year for $1 million. What do you say?

Dipoto:Sorry, Chad. Best I can offer is the major league minimum salary. Take it or leave it.

Qualls: Sounds fair enough. Where do I sign?

Even then, I'm not sure I'm happy with the deal...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: