Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Holy Crap a Team wants Qualls :shock:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Holy Crap a Team wants Qualls :shock: Reply with quote

Twins are monitoring several relief options, most notably David Aardsma and Chad Qualls.

Qualls is due to earn $4.185MM so he'd cost more in payroll, but the Twins could just let him walk after the season if need be. Also, Arizona's asking price would certainly be less than what Seattle would want for Aardsma.

Stolen from baseball rumors. Shocked
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it twinkies... Razz
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd go to MN and do some lights out dealing. I'd only hope they'd get a decent return.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy Crap a Team wants Qualls :shock: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Twins are monitoring several relief options, most notably David Aardsma and Chad Qualls.

So one of them young, controllable, cheap and good.
The other one is none of the above.

Sounds like a tough decision...
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have Rauch back?
dbackfanron
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qualls for Anthony Slama and Bruce Pugh?
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when Qualls is gone, are we going to have a badass HEILMAN video up on the Jumbotron in Center Field?
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Holy Crap a Team wants Qualls :shock: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

So one of them young, controllable, cheap and good.
The other one is none of the above.

Sounds like a tough decision...

lev, your to nice....

The other one is a old, uncontrollable, expensive, and fuckingshitty
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
Qualls for box of used chewing gum and a bag of dirty jocks?

fixed it for you

theguyonthecouch
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
dbackfanron wrote:
Qualls for box of used chewing gum and a bag of dirty jocks?

fixed it for you

Take the jocks to the cleaners and you got a deal.
Rockkstarr11
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy Crap a Team wants Qualls :shock: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

Qualls is due to earn $4.185MM so he'd cost more in payroll, but the Twins could just let him walk after the season if need be. Also, Arizona's asking price would certainly be less than what Seattle would want for Aardsma.

Stolen from baseball rumors. Shocked

They can HAVE Qualls...he's certainly not doing us any good here!

levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A team must want Qualls as an organ donor. No other reason that I can see.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

Yakima?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
levski wrote:

Yakima?

Why do you hate the Yakima team so much?
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See thats the problem other teams still want Qualls. They must see something they feel that they can correct or fix.

The problem is why cant we fix it?

Yes he sucks but come on 8.60 ERA suck?

Im sure these teams that want him know his ERA blows. But yet they must know something that we sure as hell cant figure out.

Evil or Very Mad
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checking to see if he is on this list...

just hoping...

dbackfanron
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
A team must want Qualls as an organ grinder. No other reason that I can see.

Better use of his right arm.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbackfanron wrote:
levski wrote:
A team must want Qualls as an organ grinder. No other reason that I can see.

Better use of his right arm.

Grinding is what the Dbacks do best.
ohdbacks
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

per FG on the Dbacks Closer role

In the second-to-last game before the break, interim manager Kirk Gibson, who has not yet named a closer, was finally faced with a save situation. Who would he pick? Letís run down the list of his available Ďtalent:í

Aaron Heilman
With a strikeout-to-walk ratio thatís been under two for three years in a row, and an FIP thatís been closer to five than four over that same stretch, Heilman has shown us who he is, and itís not good. Itís hard not to go over the top here, but this is the bare truth: under no circumstances should a decent team consider Heilman as their closer. Of course, this is not a decent team. But even a rebuilding team shouldnít really consider for their closer position a pitcher with a 4.94 xFIP and 31 years in his rear view mirror. So letís hope that Gibson had sense enough to move onÖ which he did, sort of.

Esmerling Vazquez
Vazquez is striking people out (9.79 K/9), and has a decent-enough xFIP (4.11), and is also young (27). But Vazquez also walks too many (4.75 BB/9), has a poor groundball percentage (34.2% this year, 40% career), and isnít being used in high-leverage situations (0.94 gmLI). Of course, maybe this team isnít creating enough high-leverage situations, so Vazquez actually looks like a decent option given the putridity of this bullpen. But no, in this game, on July 10th, Vazquez actually recorded his first hold since May 22nd by pitching his seventh-straight scoreless and fifth-straight walk-less appearance in the eighth inning. Vazquez is moving up the depth chart, but heís not there yet. Heís worth watching, though.

Chad Qualls
The veteran had been pitching better since losing the closer title earlier in the month. That is to say, he had put together a string of four scoreless appearances from June 29th to July 5th. He had only walked two batters since June 9th. He had given up one home run since May. Of course, Qualls also had given up 13 earned runs since the beginning of June, so the record was spotty. Then thereís also the fact that heís in the last year of his contract on a team going nowhere. Thereís no real reason to play him for the future, especially when the luck is really not going his way (.468 BABIP! 50.5% LOB%!). Qualls is still a good pitcher, but does Arizona care?

Sam Demel
Demel is the dark horse. He came over in the Conor Jackson trade, and has been dealing ever since, on a level that seems commensurate with his minor league performances. He was the Triple-A closer in the Aís organization, and had been sporting an 8.8 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in Sacramento. Well, now in Arizona, heís got a 8.25 K/9 and 1.50 BB/9 (and therefore a nice 3.03 xFIP). If he can continue exhibiting that control, he could be a great closer, but thatís no given, as you can see from his 4.5 BB/9 in the minors. On the other hand, heís the only reliever in Arizona with a good groundball rate (52.9%). The problem is, heís being rewarded with mop-up time in bad games (0.69 gmLI, and his past six appearances have come in games decided by an average of 6.33 runs). This meat is grabbing pine. Maybe Gibson will notice him eventually, but he didnít on July 10th.

Juan Gutierrez
Not to ruin the Ďsurprise,í but Gutierrez was the winner, after Heilman came on in the top of the ninth and got two outs but left two on for Qualls, who came in and gave up two runs without recording an out. So Gibson actually reached for two guys before he got to Gutierrez, and not without reason. Gutierrez is not striking out a ton of batters this year (7.52 K/9) or career (7.87 K/9), walks a bit too much (3.62 BB/9), and has a major Achillesí heal when it comes to groundballs (29% this year, 36% career). If the team goes young, Vazquez and Demel are better options. If the team goes with Ďexperience,í Qualls is a better option (if they can see past the bloated ERA).

In the end, the problem is that Gibson has no real solid options to go to. That makes it hard to predict what will happen. If a dynasty-leaguer is looking at the situation, it has to be Demel as the pickup, and he does look like the best pitcher in the pen right now. If a redraft manager thinks that Gibson will be forward-looking and can see past a bad ERA, itís Qualls. If they want to go by Gibsonís first attempt, itís Heilman. IF itís who succeeded last, itís Gutierrez. Good luck hunting!
ohdbacks
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More I found on Qualls being unlucky so far this year...

Chad Qualls Ė (ERA = 8.60, pERA = 4.03) Ė Chad is by far the unluckiest pitcher so far this season. He has not be exactly lights out, but no pitcher can be good with a BAPIP of 0.468.

Jose Valverde Ė (ERA = 0.92, pERA = 3.13) Ė No real surprise that a pitcher canít mainly a sub 1 ERA. He got to the low ERA with a 0.169 BABIP and giving up only 1 home run so far this season. Jose is actually is striking out less and walking more batters than Chad Qualls.

SO Basically Qualls cant keep being so bad, and Velverde cant be so good too much longer
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick. Someone convince the Tigers of this. Maybe armed with this knowledge they'd pull the trigger on a Qualls for Valverde swap.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple math:
8.60 > 0.92
4.03 > 3.13

And that's not a good thing...

So you're telling me I should be excited that Qualls may be bad instead of awful, and Valverde may be very good instead of spectacular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEatWL6Er0
ohdbacks
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
So you're telling me I should be excited that Qualls may be bad instead of awful, and Valverde may be very good instead of spectacular?

No, not at all...you just shouldnt be surprised that other teams may be interested in Qualls, that is all...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohdbacks wrote:
levski wrote:

No, not at all...you just shouldnt be surprised that other teams may be interested in Qualls, that is all...

Morbid curiosity.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qualls was a very good reliever who was streaky, and had issues sometimes in high leverage situations.

I think that the knee injury probably had more to do with his demise this year than we might have heard about. Probably something off in his delivery. He's been somewhat unlucky, it's true. But it's alot more than just bad luck.

Anyway......my guess is he will rebound in his career and go on to have success in the future. Just not here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: