Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DBBP recipe book

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: DBBP recipe book Reply with quote

Thought we could start a recipe book here. Anything you got. Anything from drinks to entrees, lets here them.Here is Shadows Creamsicle margarita which was the impetus to this thread.

I see a few of you want the Creamsicle margie recipe. Here you go.

Fill Blender half full with Ice.
2 Shots of Tequila (please use 100 blue agave)
1 Shot Triple Sec
4 scoops Dryers Cream Orange Sherbet
Fill rest with Orange drink
Blend

If you want you can rim the glass with some sugar.

They taste just like the Creamsicle bars you ate when you were a kid.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea! When I get back from my trip I will post some stuff- I have some awesome recipes that I have collected from near and far.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some things I've made lately.

Roasted Beet Salad:
1. Peel chop the beets, saving the greens. Coat w/ olive oil, S&P and roast @ 350 till done (about 45 min). I had about 5 pounds worth of beets but you can use just a typical bunch. Let them cool and store in fridge.
2. Clean, chop, and blanch the greens (about 1 min in boiling water) and transferring them to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain the greens and store in fridge.
3. The next day (or later in teh day), mix them up and add fresh mint. We have it growing outside, its really invasive. I used a lot. Finish it with some lemon juice.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes - we made this with the zucchini from our garden
1. Peel and chop two sweet potatoes and 1-2 each zucchini and yellow squash (don't peel either). Coat w/ olive oil, S&P and Roast @ 400 for about 20-30 min or until they are all cooked.
2. Add lots of fresh parsley, basil, and thyme plus more S&P if needed.

Tomato Salad
We have about 8 tomato plants that give us lots of fresh tomatoes.

1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
zest from an orange
2 green onions, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper

Toss them together and let them sit for about an hour.

Habenero salsa
2 medium diced tomatoes
1/2 habenero, very finely diced remove all seeds
1 lime
1/2 small onion, diced
salt
finely chopped cilantro

Mix together and let sit for an hour or so in fridge. Add more or less habenero as you like, if you have latex gloves, use them. Habeneros are crazy. No matter how much you wash your hands your fingers will have residue for at least a half hour. Be careful rubbing your eyes, nose, or using the restroom, it will burn!
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickled eggs

1 can red beets
1 can pickled red beets
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
12 hard boiled eggs

pour beet juice into medium size pot. Bring to boil. Add vinegar and brown sugar, stirring until brown sugar is dissolved.
Place hard boiled eggs (with shells removed) and beets in a container with a tight lid. Pour the liquid into the container with the beets and eggs.
Eggs should set 24-48 hrs before eating.

Enjoy!!
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked chicken

Basic rule of thumb is 1 CUP (yes cup) of regular table salt per 1 gallon of water. You can add other spices and sugars if you like. But the salt is the main thing.

Here is how I make mine when I'm going to be smoking 6 chickens. Obviously cut this down or make more based upon how much meat you're brining and what container you're using.

I use a Coleman 48 qt cooler.

Fill it with:

2 1/2 Gallons water
2 1/2 cups table salt
2 cans cheap lemon lime soft drink
1 tbl garlic powder
1/2 tbl black pepper

Stir all this together and mix well. You have to really stir it up because that's a lot of salt. Some people like Alton Brown advocate heating the brine but that's another step. I skip it and mix mine directly in the cooler and it works great.

Wash chickens well under water and then place in cooler into brine.

Then pour a bag of ice over the top and close cooler lid.

I let this sit usually for 12 hours. I don't freak out if it's 14 hours or so but any more than that and it can be too salty.

An hour before you're ready to put the chicken on the grill, remove from brine. Set out and let start coming up to room temperature. You don't want to throw ice cold meat on a hot grill.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoked chicken sounds nice. One tip for brining (this also goes for turkeys): brining works best when you use natural meats. Most stuff out there (like Tyson chicken for example) is injected with a broth solution for "flavor" When you put these in a brine they don't absorb as much of the brine as natural chicken or turkey does.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: