Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Memorial Day 2010- Thank a vet

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Memorial Day 2010- Thank a vet Reply with quote

WHAT IS A VET?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort

of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another. Or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket palsied now and aggravatingly slow who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we have some military folks here as well as parents with children in the military.

I thank you all.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on our way up to the National Cemetery right now to remember my Dad and brother-in-law.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Biden's speech live at Arlington National Cemetery. Very moving... the best I've ever seen him give.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it on as well, very good.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mama keeps tryin’ to get the game on the radioDaddy’s gotta know the score
There’s a big yellow thing on a flat bed trailer
Wonder what that thing’s forWe got towels rolled up in the back seat window
Keeping us out of the sunJust a hundred more miles and we’ll be at grandma’s
Sure is gonna be fun
Maybe she’ll take us fishin’
Maybe she’ll bake us a pieRemember like she did that one time
Back before grandpa died

It’s Memorial Day in America
Everybody’s on the road
Let’s remember our fallen heroes
Y’all be sure and drive slow

Ninety eight degrees in the shade of the tool shed
Can’t go back in the house
They’re all in the kitchen yellin’ ‘bout something
Don’t know what it’s about
Joey ‘n Mary said not to worry
Said it’s just the same old figh
tHappens whenever they all get together
Everything’s really alright

It’s Memorial Day in America
This is how it’s supposed to be
Let’s remember our fallen heroesIn the land of the free

Daddy’s in the big chair sippin’ on a cold beer
Grandma’s cuttin’ a switch
She overheard Mary cussin’ her brother
Called him a son of a bitch
She got a good green limb off a sweet gum sapling
Man that’s bound to sting

But Mary don’t cry just stands there and takes it
Doesn’t seem to feel a thing
No Mary don’t cry, you know she’s a big girl
Wonder what made her so mad
She takes those licks looking in through the den door
Staring right straight at her dad

There’s a big yellow thing on a flat bed trailer
Daddy nearly hit that bird
They’re both in the front seat
Starin’ right straight ahead
Neither one saying a word
The sun’s going down in the rear view mirror
Gonna be driving all night
Wonder if the neighbor’s fed the canary
Wonder if the cat’s alright
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
We're on our way up to the National Cemetery right now to remember my Dad and brother-in-law.

I was up at the Cave Creek National Cemetery and remembered my Father too. Mark Knopfler has a great song that is appropriate for Memorial Day.

You Tube Link
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorial Day 2010- Thank a vet Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
WHAT IS A VET?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort

of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another. Or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket palsied now and aggravatingly slow who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

That was beautiful- I had trouble reading the end through my tears. Thank you for posting that. Just saying thank you seems so inconsequential but I do it every chance I get.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dad died a couple of years ago. He was a WWII vet... my younger sister wrote a Memorial Day tribute yesterday that is out of the norm that she titled "Daddy Was a Spy"
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is late but my connection was down over the weekend and is still down. (if I ever meet the moron who likes to go a full week every few weeks without realizing his connection is down...)

In honor of Memorial Day, this is a picture of my Great-uncle. He died in WW2 serving in France with the Canadian Army. Both of my Grandfathers were in WW2 as well. My Grandfather on my Scottish side was in the Royal Air Force. I have an Uncle who served in Vietnam. Several of my cousins have military backgrounds as well. Thank you.

my grandpa and I.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: