Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What would you have done if you were me?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: What would you have done if you were me? Reply with quote

We went to SF for a wedding this past weekend. It was at midnight when we left the reception for our hotel, we were both bone-tired from dancing all night. We parked in the back of the hotel since the parking lot was quite full at the time and just when I was about to insert the key card in a door, a guy popped out of bushes and asked if he could follow us in because his card didn't work. He looked kind of sinister with a baseball cap on and a small rolled up bag.

The hairs on the back of my neck literally stood up but I'd already got my key card out ready to insert. While a few crazy thoughts whirling in my head, I couldn't think of anything else but meekly said "sure" and let him follow us in. He walked one way and we headed for the elevator on the opposite direction.

While waiting for the elevator to open, my wife jokingly made a few stabbing motions on my back and we were laughing like crazy. But wait, suddenly he showed up out of nowhere just when the door opened. Now I was really paranoid. But again, we didn't know what to do but walked into the elevator. I did make sure we were against the wall so that I could have him in front of me in case he pulled a weapon out or something, yeah, crazy thoughts whirling in my head...

My wife, who's the type that can strike up a conversation with a tree, noticed his SF Giants cap. So she was like "Hey, did you watch the game?" earlier while getting dressed for the wedding, we were glued to the TV watching Wilson's nerve-wrecking ninth against Kazuo Matsui. So I took this opportunity to describe Wilson's pitches to him while pretending to be a SF fan, in truth, I was totally rooting for Matsui. He listened without comments and luckily when I was just about running out of things to say our floor came up and we left, we literally ran out of the elevator.

After we got in the room, my wife called the front desk and let them know that we'd allowed a stranger to follow us in. About 10 minutes later, the front desk called back and said that they did have a guest who couldn't get in his room with his key card. Whew!

Still, I was thinking how he could have been a serial killer lurking in the bushes of a hotel parking lot. Had he pulled a knife in the elevator, we would have had no chance to escape whatsoever. I don't think fast on my feet, I'm wondering what would you have done in that situation?

By the way, the wedding was at the SF Zoo; the setting was right in front of the African Savanna and the reception was in a great hall with peaked and beamed roof and a big fireplace, really awesome.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take your wife to the doctor, if she can spark up a conversation with a tree...

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
I would take your wife to the doctor, if she can spark up a conversation with a tree...

tree hugger
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you this: I would not have gotten into the elevator with him.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was this guy.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I would have let him in. I would have said I will call the front desk for you and went on my way.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now looking back, it was really stupid of me to meekly let the guy follow us into the hotel and then walked in the elevator with him, especially considering the fact my wife was wearing a skimpy little cocktail dress (for the wedding). What's good is because of this experience, I've become a lot more careful since then. Here is what happened last weekend.

A friend of mine asked me to stop by his house to pick up a tool. I went over there with my little two year old. His girlfriend answered the door and we chatted a bit while two big dogs (a Rottweller and a Chow) were jumping and snaring at us outside the sliding door. When it was time to get the tool, she said it was in the casita and said let's go over there.

For a brief second, I was going to follow her out of the sliding door but all of a sudden, I looked at those two ferocious dogs and said, no, we'll wait here. She was like those dogs don't bite, I was like, no, I'm not going to take a chance, she looked me with a bubble over her head that said "What a wuss!". Yeah, I would rather be seen as a wuss than having the chance of those dogs gone amok.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What would you have done if you were me? Reply with quote

DBWS08 wrote:
We went to SF for a wedding this past weekend. It was at midnight when we left the reception for our hotel, we were both bone-tired from dancing all night. We parked in the back of the hotel since the parking lot was quite full at the time and just when I was about to insert the key card in a door, a guy popped out of bushes and asked if he could follow us in because his card didn't work. He looked kind of sinister with a baseball cap on and a small rolled up bag.

The hairs on the back of my neck literally stood up but I'd already got my key card out ready to insert. While a few crazy thoughts whirling in my head, I couldn't think of anything else but meekly said "sure" and let him follow us in. He walked one way and we headed for the elevator on the opposite direction.

While waiting for the elevator to open, my wife jokingly made a few stabbing motions on my back and we were laughing like crazy. But wait, suddenly he showed up out of nowhere just when the door opened. Now I was really paranoid. But again, we didn't know what to do but walked into the elevator. I did make sure we were against the wall so that I could have him in front of me in case he pulled a weapon out or something, yeah, crazy thoughts whirling in my head...

My wife, who's the type that can strike up a conversation with a tree, noticed his SF Giants cap. So she was like "Hey, did you watch the game?" earlier while getting dressed for the wedding, we were glued to the TV watching Wilson's nerve-wrecking ninth against Kazuo Matsui. So I took this opportunity to describe Wilson's pitches to him while pretending to be a SF fan, in truth, I was totally rooting for Matsui. He listened without comments and luckily when I was just about running out of things to say our floor came up and we left, we literally ran out of the elevator.

After we got in the room, my wife called the front desk and let them know that we'd allowed a stranger to follow us in. About 10 minutes later, the front desk called back and said that they did have a guest who couldn't get in his room with his key card. Whew!

Still, I was thinking how he could have been a serial killer lurking in the bushes of a hotel parking lot. Had he pulled a knife in the elevator, we would have had no chance to escape whatsoever. I don't think fast on my feet, I'm wondering what would you have done in that situation?

By the way, the wedding was at the SF Zoo; the setting was right in front of the African Savanna and the reception was in a great hall with peaked and beamed roof and a big fireplace, really awesome.

I would not have let him in and if he tried to get violent, self-defense measures would be invoked. My wife keeps telling me not to get involved and yet she often does with people like this. I tell her you do NOT get involved with strangers in cases like the one you have described here.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBWS08 wrote:
Yeah, now looking back, it was really stupid of me to meekly let the guy follow us into the hotel and then walked in the elevator with him, especially considering the fact my wife was wearing a skimpy little cocktail dress (for the wedding). What's good is because of this experience, I've become a lot more careful since then. Here is what happened last weekend.

A friend of mine asked me to stop by his house to pick up a tool. I went over there with my little two year old. His girlfriend answered the door and we chatted a bit while two big dogs (a Rottweller and a Chow) were jumping and snaring at us outside the sliding door. When it was time to get the tool, she said it was in the casita and said let's go over there.

For a brief second, I was going to follow her out of the sliding door but all of a sudden, I looked at those two ferocious dogs and said, no, we'll wait here. She was like those dogs don't bite, I was like, no, I'm not going to take a chance, she looked me with a bubble over her head that said "What a wuss!". Yeah, I would rather be seen as a wuss than having the chance of those dogs gone amok.

Correct move. Never trust a dog, especially one that is not on a leash.
I have been attacked by enough dogs in my time to have learned this.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: