Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
From the Ivy League to Center Field

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: From the Ivy League to Center Field Reply with quote

Interesting interview with Doug Glanville on NPR: Fresh Air program

Former Phillies CF (and other teams) now writes for NY Times and has recently published a book. He graduated with a degree in engineering from the University of Pennsylvania before he was drafted.

Thought the following quip is pretty funny:

Quote:
He says he enjoyed playing the center field position because of the perspective it gave him on the game. It also allowed him to hear hecklers, who would lean over the outfield wall in Veteran's Stadium and yell their thoughts down to the players.

"My favorite comment was from a guy who ... realized I was an engineer who had written a paper about building a new stadium in Philadelphia," Glanville says. "So I was really struggling when I first came over to Philly in 1998, struggling and hitting like .190 so the guy yelled out 'Why don't you design a stadium you can hit in?'"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: