Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pac 10-Big 12 Rumors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDETTU
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Pac 10-Big 12 Rumors Reply with quote

What do you some of you Pac 10 guys think about the rumor of a conference re-alignment with the big 12 south teams ???... ( ie: if Neb & Mizz bolt to the big 10.)
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it. I'd rather have Colorado and some other teams from out west. You guys should go to the SEC.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard rumors of Utah and BYU wanting into the Pac-10. I'd be all for that, and I'd imagine the Pac-10 would too if the Big 10 expands.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when big 10 expands... they prob will go to 14 teams thier wish is 16....

MIZZ, RU, UCONN, PITT, SU.

the big 10 wants to engulf the NYC market with the B10 network coverage. and MIZZ will bring in KC and ST.Louis and will increase the rival with Ill.

then they can rotate the B10 championship game all over (like b12 does) from NYC to KC (meadowlands, pitt, clev, chi, st.louis, Minny, KC, Indy, ect...)

so the Pac 10 will HAVE TO expand... the $$$$ they already lose out on is just silly... (that is why the big 10 will do it) If they are smart, they also should go to to 14-16 teams.... these are the ones i would add

Boise, col, byu, fresno, col st. utah. (sd state and hawaii need to be in mix) how sweet would the pac 10 championship be in Hawaii.... Shocked Very Happy

and than the also can rotate the Championship around also, Glendale, SD, LA, Rose, Seattle, denver, SF, Oak.... the money would be crazy...
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Pac 10 as is everyone plays everyone

if they expand its Utah and Colorado most likely

I understand they want the $$$$ for a championship game the acc, sec, and big 12 all have

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pac-10 already had a chance to include a conference championship as the 12th game, but decided that it was better for EVERY team to play a 12th game, rather than just the top 2 teams in the conference. I prefer the full round-robin schedule to an unbalanced one.

Also, regarding conference expansion, why would the Pac bypass the San Diego and Las Vegas markets in favor of Boise/SLC/Denver? Seems to me that UNLV and either SDSU or USD would make the most regional sense, would allow for very easy and convenient Pacific Coast North/South divisions, and totally and completely locks down every big city west of the rockies for the Pac conference.

PC-North= UW, WSU, UO, OSU, Cal, and Stanford
PC-South= UCLA, USC, ASU, UA, SDSU, and UNLV

Plus, those road games in Vegas and Diego would be kickass&badass.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

the big 10 wants to engulf the NYC market with the B10 network coverage. and MIZZ will bring in KC and ST.Louis and will increase the rival with Ill.

As U of I alum, know that they have actively been cultivating a rivalry with Missouri the past several years (both FB and BB) that has a lot more enthusiasm than the past one they tried manufacturing between Illinois and Northwestern
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
The Pac-10 already had a chance to include a conference championship as the 12th game, but decided that it was better for EVERY team to play a 12th game, rather than just the top 2 teams in the conference. I prefer the full round-robin schedule to an unbalanced one.

Also, regarding conference expansion, why would the Pac bypass the San Diego and Las Vegas markets in favor of Boise/SLC/Denver? Seems to me that UNLV and either SDSU or USD would make the most regional sense, would allow for very easy and convenient Pacific Coast North/South divisions, and totally and completely locks down every big city west of the rockies for the Pac conference.

PC-North= UW, WSU, UO, OSU, Cal, and Stanford
PC-South= UCLA, USC, ASU, UA, SDSU, and UNLV

Plus, those road games in Vegas and Diego would be kickass&badass.

i like your thinking... but u know they want BSU top 10 team (even in a shitty WAC and NO ONE wanting to schedule them) that team will have its pick of a big time conference when all the conferences expand... get them early im in sure they would want a "bigger" name thanUNVL and SDST to start... like a Col.

jmo

dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with the talk of expansion as it's been - adding a pair of schools from utah or colorado, for the most part - is that it will drastically alter the conference as it is for what would amount to minimal gains when equally distributed amongst the 10 existing schools.

But if they do decide that expansion is the way to go, I hope they really go for it. Take the 10 existing schools, find an additional 6 logical schools, and basically start a new 16-team beast of a conference. Align the divisions to accommodate travel and traditional rivalries, and rake in the dollars.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well well... If the conference expands, those are the teams to add. Talk about an economic powerhouse. But anything short of merging with those markets, the current alignment should be maintained and alternative revenue-generating methods pursued.
CDETTU
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The money will be great if this goes down.

I will personally be happy to get out the big 12. The revenue sharing & how the big 12 is set up is crazy.... and what the U of Texas takes home compared to the rest of the schools is all out ridiculous. Atleast now if this goes down UT will not have their way. The $ will get spread around.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw deal for Colorado. They were looking to join the Pac 10 this whole time, yet the pressure that will be put on to include Baylor instead of Colorado is a tad unfair.

Then again, when is anything that has to do with college sports fair?
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
Raw deal for Colorado. They were looking to join the Pac 10 this whole time, yet the pressure that will be put on to include Baylor instead of Colorado is a tad unfair.

Then again, when is anything that has to do with college sports fair?

baylor hitching its wagon to texas.... you want texas you have to take baylor.... probally to cut down on some travel esp in the other sports...

CDETTU
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would MUCH rather have Colorado than Baylor.

Baylor is an annoying kid that doesn't get the hint to go away.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDETTU wrote:
I would MUCH rather have Colorado than Baylor.

Baylor is an annoying kid that doesn't get the hint to go away.

im with ya.....

but i bet the travel has ALOT to do with it.... i heard texas said.... A&M, TT and Baylor have to go with.... well that would be the east divison and the travel would much better... wonder what other team would be there (oklahoma?) UofA and ASU in the east..... others int he west

CDETTU
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumor here on talk radio & in Dallas is UT, ATM, TT, OU, OSU, "baylor or colorado", Az, Az State to make a eastern part of the conference.
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It's looking like my Huskers are closer to bolting to the Big 10 and being one of the dominoes that gets everything else moving. I'm surprised there isn't more of a negative reaction to especially the proposed expansion of the pac-10 to absorb the Big 12 south. If what appears likely to transpire, I would think UofA, ASU, and Kansas would be the 3 most adversely effected schools.

For all intents purposes, UofA and ASU would be traded to the SWC two time zones away. In a 16 team superconference, they are 2 of 8 teams. For football, that is 6 games against Texas/Oklahoma teams and 1 against the state rival to put your every year conference games at 7 without even playing another out of division conference team. If you play half of the out of division conference teams, that is 11 games right there. If you only play 2 out of division conference teams, that allows two non-conference games, and you would play the current Pac-10 teams you play now 2 years out of every 8 years. Hard to sustain any traditional rivalries with the Pac-10 teams when you play a home and away, and then don't meet up again for 7 years later. Trust me, just a 12 team conference where you would only take 2 years not playing each other in opposite divisions pretty much killed off the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry.

One thing I would worry about with the superconferences is that they will essentially become two seperate conferences that agree to co-exist for the conference championship game and for the out of division conference games, ie replacing "non-conference" games, but the money and controlling interest powers will be more "localized" to the divisions rather than the super-conference. If that happens UofA and ASU become beholded to the same Texas centric politicking that caused Nebraska and Missouri and Colorado and every team that could possibly look for a better situation to bolt the Big 12 that is beholden to Texas. (I'm not referring specifically to UT, but Texas football as a whole and their influence with the money and politics Think Baylor has to be included so they have another vote at the table.) It is the egotism of Texas politics and corruption that killed the SWC, they have done the same thing to the Big 12, and now the Pac-10 wants to get involved in that?

Yeah, Texas brings a fat cash cow, but the money handlers come with it and they will expect to control things. They blocked a Big 12 network similar to the Big 10 because Texas wants their own independent TV revenue streams. It should be telling that there are 3 out of 6 teams in the Big 12 north that want out of the conference. I think it's also funny that Nebraska leaving will mean that Texas has to take their money elsewhere. They should just simply replace Nebraska and Missouri and carry on. All they want is control anyway. Put TCU and Houston in there and have at it.

I'll miss the Big 12 and was very against Nebraska moving to the Big 10 initially, but I'm tired of the BS Texas politcs running the conference. The other team that is getting screwed in this is Kansas. I feel sorry for them, but they should be one of the big dogs (obviously top dog in basketball)in the Mountain West conference which should be a BCS conference when all is said and done.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz wrote:
Well, It's looking like my Huskers are closer to bolting to the Big 10 and being one of the dominoes that gets everything else moving. I'm surprised there isn't more of a negative reaction to especially the proposed expansion of the pac-10 to absorb the Big 12 south. If what appears likely to transpire, I would think UofA, ASU, and Kansas would be the 3 most adversely effected schools.

For all intents purposes, UofA and ASU would be traded to the SWC two time zones away. In a 16 team superconference, they are 2 of 8 teams. For football, that is 6 games against Texas/Oklahoma teams and 1 against the state rival to put your every year conference games at 7 without even playing another out of division conference team. If you play half of the out of division conference teams, that is 11 games right there. If you only play 2 out of division conference teams, that allows two non-conference games, and you would play the current Pac-10 teams you play now 2 years out of every 8 years. Hard to sustain any traditional rivalries with the Pac-10 teams when you play a home and away, and then don't meet up again for 7 years later. Trust me, just a 12 team conference where you would only take 2 years not playing each other in opposite divisions pretty much killed off the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry.

One thing I would worry about with the superconferences is that they will essentially become two seperate conferences that agree to co-exist for the conference championship game and for the out of division conference games, ie replacing "non-conference" games, but the money and controlling interest powers will be more "localized" to the divisions rather than the super-conference. If that happens UofA and ASU become beholded to the same Texas centric politicking that caused Nebraska and Missouri and Colorado and every team that could possibly look for a better situation to bolt the Big 12 that is beholden to Texas. (I'm not referring specifically to UT, but Texas football as a whole and their influence with the money and politics Think Baylor has to be included so they have another vote at the table.) It is the egotism of Texas politics and corruption that killed the SWC, they have done the same thing to the Big 12, and now the Pac-10 wants to get involved in that?

Yeah, Texas brings a fat cash cow, but the money handlers come with it and they will expect to control things. They blocked a Big 12 network similar to the Big 10 because Texas wants their own independent TV revenue streams. It should be telling that there are 3 out of 6 teams in the Big 12 north that want out of the conference. I think it's also funny that Nebraska leaving will mean that Texas has to take their money elsewhere. They should just simply replace Nebraska and Missouri and carry on. All they want is control anyway. Put TCU and Houston in there and have at it.

I'll miss the Big 12 and was very against Nebraska moving to the Big 10 initially, but I'm tired of the BS Texas politcs running the conference. The other team that is getting screwed in this is Kansas. I feel sorry for them, but they should be one of the big dogs (obviously top dog in basketball)in the Mountain West conference which should be a BCS conference when all is said and done.

Take out all references to NU and replace with MIZZOU, and you have my sentiments, exactly.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect they will have to go to a thirteen game schedule in football, with each team in the PAC playing all but one of its division rivals, and then having five games against the other division. That means ASU would have two to three trips per year to the West Coast, which it probably needs to insist on not to kill recruiting.

ASU may find a lot of pressure to play earlier games now that it is playing teams in the Central time zone, since a 7:30 start means a 9:30 start in Texas, at least until November.

From a baseball perspective, adding Texas to ASU's conference schedule is intriguing. I think ASU probably loses out in football, where we will become annual fodder for Oklahoma and Texas. Still, the road trip to Austin would be cool.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six schools being invited by Pac-10 - TX, A&M, Tech, OU, Ok State and Colo - expected to accept invitations, begin play in Pac-16 in 2012.

via ChipBrown of Orangebloods.com

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DouXer4ouR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's Colorado instead of Baylor then this is going to be huge. All those major TV Markets in one conference...All the hype this conference will get...this is big time.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will ASU or UofA ever win anything in football again? Oh wait, UofA never did before. Very Happy
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erickson has 2 years to get his shit together.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

A washed up Erickson will never get it done in a conference as tough as the Pac 16. Perhaps they should hire Mike Leach, since he is familiar with the new conference schools and has some motive to seek revenge. We might need to build him a couple of little dark storage rooms, though.
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

Erickson won't get two years to fix his mess. If he sucks it up once again this year, he'll be done.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: