Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do you cook?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Do you cook? Reply with quote

I'm not much of a cook but ever since my doctor told me to change my eating habits to lower my borderline high cholesterol, I've learned to cook for myself when I'm away from home. My favorite dish, Italian turkey sausage wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Here is how I make it.

First, I saute some vegetables and then I cook the turkey sausage to a golden brown color. I put the tortilla in a microwave to warm it up. Then I spread the lightly cooked vegetables on the tortilla and put the sausage on top and wrap it just like you would a baby. Yum, yum, it's simple and nutritious.

I would like to know if you have a special dish or two?
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since doing Weight Watchers... I cook most of the time now... and have a number of "specialties." Here's a common item that uses a different spice mix that I like... and so have all the people I've served it to:

Pumpkin Enchiladas

Corn tortillas
One can refried beans*--I usually look for one with "hot" flavor included
One can chicken breast (in water)
Onion or garlic
Pumpkin spices--cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
8 oz. Shredded Mexican cheese--I look for low fat
Larger sized can of green enchilada sauce

Chop up small amount of onion or garlic (quantity depends on taste for audience)
In bowl mix up beans and the spices (I don't measure... but do to taste...more cinnamon than other pumpkin spices)
Get baking dish (cake pan 9 X 16 or whatever that measures)
Prep each enchilada with about a tablespoon of beans, some chicken, sprinkle some cheese
Fold each enchilada (not entirely full) so you can turn it over inside pan without it falling apart
Fill up the pan
Pour sauce over the enchiladas
Sprinkle any remaining chicken and cheese over this
Cover with tin foil
Bake at about 350 for 15 min.

* Note: you can also use canned pumpkin instead of refried beans Wink
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy cooking so I do all of it for our family. I like to have a lot of variety, and I do my best to avoid using canned or frozen items. I'll make some exceptions (canned tomatoes for pasta sauces, chipotles, frozen artichoke hearts). I think the kids' favorite thing that I make is risotto with baked breaded chicken.

We rotate our favorite dishes in and out depending on the season to keep things fresh. As a bonus, we now have a substantial garden that we get quite a bit of veggies from. I'm doing a pasta primavera tonight with orange, white and purple carrots; zucchini; cherry tomatoes; and herbs from our garden.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I enjoy cooking so I do all of it for our family. I like to have a lot of variety, and I do my best to avoid using canned or frozen items. I'll make some exceptions (canned tomatoes for pasta sauces, chipotles, frozen artichoke hearts). I think the kids' favorite thing that I make is risotto with baked breaded chicken.

We rotate our favorite dishes in and out depending on the season to keep things fresh. As a bonus, we now have a substantial garden that we get quite a bit of veggies from. I'm doing a pasta primavera tonight with orange, white and purple carrots; zucchini; cherry tomatoes; and herbs from our garden.

What time's dinner? Very Happy
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 8:00!
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the cook in our family, and I love it.

Some of my favorites to make:

- Traditional Neapolitan pizza (except I don't have a wood burning oven yet).
- Thai Curry
- Smoked anything (smoked ribs two weekends ago)
- Carne Asada (orange juice is the best base for your marinade, and it's authentic too Smile)
- Pork Carnitas
- Paella
- Lasagna Bolognese
- various wok'd dishes
- homemade salsa
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

Chris Bianco uses white carrots in his antipasto. First time I had ever had them...very good.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
matt wrote:

Chris Bianco uses white carrots in his antipasto. First time I had ever had them...very good.

The most important thing with carrots is how fresh they are (and really everything). They lose flavor and sweetness very quickly.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you find white and purple carrots?
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Tucson you can go to the 17th Street Farmer's Market. They carry a wide variety of produce and tend to have things like that when they are in season. They also have a great fish market and lots of specialty asian items.

In Phoenix they are hard to come by. They have them in farmer's markets in season. Whole foods might get them every now and then but they won't be fresh. You're best off growing your own (which is what we did).
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks Matt!
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently smoking two whole chickens and a pork butt. Birds just came off and they look incredible. The pork has about another 2 hours to go.

Where there's smoke there's flavor Smile
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy - now we are talking.

Big Grill and BBQ fan here. No big plans to cook this weekend, as we are going to friends houses both nights.

HUGE fan of the grill and roteserie. Best T-Giving turkey dinner ever was cooked on teh grill.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can cook and like doing so. I just wish I had a woman to enjoy my meals with, but thats another story.

Tonight im making premade pot roast, cheesy mashed potatos and corn on the cob.

I can make a pretty good calzone. Ranch chicken is one of my favorite recipes, although it is a little messy.

When I moved into my apartment, my mom gave me a couple of cook books. One is a 4 ingredient cookbook (all the recipes have no more than 4 ingredients).

I have always liked to cook. In fact, if i could make what I make as a CNA as a cook I would do that. I have worked at NWMC 4 years as a grill cook/prep cook and dishwasher. I worked at Old Father Inn 3 months. (dont eat there, trust me). And before I became a CNA I was a prep cook at my current facility.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh a great soup recipe I can do is tortellini soup. Only thing is, Im allergic to spinach, so I eat it knowing Im going to get the runs Confused Laughing
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Oh a great soup recipe I can do is tortellini soup. Only thing is, Im allergic to spinach, so I eat it knowing Im going to get the runs Confused Laughing

Find a spinach substitute (I sub ingredients all the time to make them more Weight Watcher friendly, so I'm sure you can creatively find another green to sub out for the spinach)
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna write all of these down. Yummy!!!

When we lived in Chile, I couldn't work for two years (Visa restrictions), I had a full time maid, gardeners, chauffers etc., so I had LOTS of time on my hands. I found a website called Epicurious.com, which has gourmet and nearly gourmet recipes. I started cooking lots of those just for something to do. Gotta say I can nearly keep up with the likes of Guy Fieri and Giada.
I would have my maid make a salad and sometimes the sides so I could focus on the entree.

Now back in the states where I don't have all the help and endless time on my hands, it's back to 30 minute meals and simple dishes. Crying or Very sad
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered that I really like Swiss chard and beets this season. We got great harvests of both.

Tomorrow we are making pizza for the first time. I got the recipe for the dough they use at Pizza Bianco so I'm looking forward to that.

Another thing we do is make our own jam. We buy fruit when it goes on sale and make some. It is just getting to that time of year now, I made strawberry and strawberry raspberry two weeks ago. I can't wait till peaches are in season, we made the best peach-strawberry last year.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our favorites is Buffalo Chicken Chili. Reasonably healthy way to get the wing taste without the fat.

Need about a 3 Lbs of chicken breast
One full bottle + of your favorite wing sauce
All of the other stuff that you like in your chili (beans, green peppers, tomatos, mushrooms, whatever. We basically empty the kitchen cupboards.

Marinate the chicken breast over night in wing sauce
Grill the chicken
dump everything into crock pot. Including more wing sauce.
Let cook

Serve with Blue cheese and celery to garnish.

Its the bomb... seriously.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I've discovered that I really like Swiss chard and beets this season. We got great harvests of both.

Tomorrow we are making pizza for the first time. I got the recipe for the dough they use at Pizza Bianco so I'm looking forward to that.

Another thing we do is make our own jam. We buy fruit when it goes on sale and make some. It is just getting to that time of year now, I made strawberry and strawberry raspberry two weeks ago. I can't wait till peaches are in season, we made the best peach-strawberry last year.

IM a beet fan too. Not sure i have had swiss chard. We have corn and peppers growing now - and did strawberries, Spinach, carrots, onions, and a variety of herbs this winter/spring. I love having the garden.

We have done the jam thing too - the farmers market over here in mesa is great to get cheap fruit - that is on its last leg, and perfect for jam.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
One of our favorites is Buffalo Chicken Chili. Reasonably healthy way to get the wing taste without the fat.

Need about a 3 Lbs of chicken breast
One full bottle + of your favorite wing sauce
All of the other stuff that you like in your chili (beans, green peppers, tomatos, mushrooms, whatever. We basically empty the kitchen cupboards.

Marinate the chicken breast over night in wing sauce
Grill the chicken
dump everything into crock pot. Including more wing sauce.
Let cook

Serve with Blue cheese and celery to garnish.

Its the bomb... seriously.

Ohhh- I'm gonna make that this week- sounds great!!
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tucsondbacksfan wrote:
Ohhh- I'm gonna make that this week- sounds great!!

It is great - but it isnt something we make much in the summer - get ready to sweat. Wink Laughing
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
I can cook and like doing so. I just wish I had a woman to enjoy my meals with, but thats another story.

Justin, never give up. I went to a wedding in SF this past Saturday, the bride and groom met each other by chance when neither of them was looking for someone, and what a beautiful couple they make, they're literally soul mates.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

Find a spinach substitute (I sub ingredients all the time to make them more Weight Watcher friendly, so I'm sure you can creatively find another green to sub out for the spinach)

I'm supposed to eat a lot of dark leafy stuff, my wife made me try Kale and Collard Greens, yikes, they taste like things even a starved horse would say no to.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leafy greens can be tricky. They are usually pretty bitter until you cook them thoroughly. I like to saute onion and garlic in butter/olive oil (you'll want to use just the olive oil), add mushrooms and let those cook all the way. Add the greens (probably enough so that it is difficult to stir the pan without them falling out) and let them cook down. When they are finished cooking add chopped tomatoes, salt, and lots of pepper. If you want, you can add fresh or dried herbs as well.

They will cook down a LOT. It always seems like I have way too many but when they are done it will be fine. There is a balance between having them cooked enough and being overcooked.

You could also add bacon or pancetta to the mix of onion and garlic but since you have cholesterol issues you might want to skip it.

Kale is great in soups and stews.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: