Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Organizational Advocacy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
I think if I had one complaint, it'd be him trying to preserve Qualls' confidence a lot longer than anyone else would've. He tried to keep him in his role, and hope he would come out of his funk, and it just never came around for him.

But even with that said, was there even anyone in the bullpen (Heilman included) that would warrant the mutiny at the closer position?

There are people who will say the bullpen is the main reason for this team's destruction. Others will say it's nearly moot because the offense sucks too.

But the stats are only the cumulative effect of how awful they are. The team has found itself in a position to win way more than their record may show.

They are tops in MLB in blown saves, they are 2nd to last in holds, and thank god the amount of inherited runners is 6th lowest, because they've allowed almost half of them to score.

If this bullpen wasn't the incredible suck that it is, I firmly believe this AJ Hinch sucks bandwagon wouldn't have the wheels that it currently does.

Other than blowing up the ship, what else are they going to do that would make this squad flip the switch other than say "oh well, better luck next season"

I agree with just about everyting here. I can see what you are saying about qualls - but like you say - there werent alot of other options.

I think we have a bad mix of offensive players - too many non contact guys, and obviously a bad bullpen mixed with some down years from Haren and Jackson, and no Webb.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
Leaving Jokes out - What do we think AJs biggest mistakes in game management have been?

Bunting too much? Not warming Pen guys soon enough? Leaving starters in too long?

People who know way more baseball than me say AJ always seems to be behind in his game management so I guess that would be yes to all of those things.

Bunting I would rather not. Warming pen guys we dont have a pen. Leaving starters in he has no choice.

So I dont know what they are talking about but thats what they are saying. Confused

So - thats what i am getting at... What do we really not like about the way AJ has managed the games? How has he been "behind"? If we cant answer those questions - i dont think we know enough to criticize, and put blame on him.

I'll go with what Shadow says. He has contacts that know way more about scouting and in-game management than any person on this board.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if Hinch is behind in game managment, we should rule out gibson too, right?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/firing-fredi-gonzalez/

Interesting article on Fredi Gonzalez firing... and what they think of Bobby V.

Quote:
Ultimately, the Marlins didnít do much harm to Frediís image. Right now, heís perceived as a martyr who made the most of a bad situation with an unrealistic, penny-pinching owner, who doesnít kowtow to superstars, and who is the likeliest successor to Bobby Cox in Atlanta, one of the most coveted managerís seats in baseball since the last manager Jeffrey Loria fired, Joe Girardi, took over for Joe Torre in the Bronx. Being fired doesnít hurt Fredi. And if Loria hires Bobby Valentine, as seems likely, the team probably wonít see much difference in the won-loss column: though Valentineís style is very different from the methodical Gonzalez (Chris Jaffe has compared Valentine to Dodger overtinkerer Charlie Dressen), Bobby V is an above-average skipper.

FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:

I wasn't too concerned with [Hinch's] lack of experience because I assumed his time spent as a catcher gave him in-game decision making skills that I assumed BoMel should have had as well.

I think that we should remember that Hinch didn't have a particularly long or successful career as a catcher. According to baseball reference, he played in 350 games in parts of 7 seasons, and had a total of 953 career at-bats, which is about two seasons worth of at-bats for a full-time player.

I'm not trying to take a cheap shot at Hinch or suggest that major league playing experience is required or extremely helpful to being a good manager. What I'm saying is that when you don't have any sort of coaching experience at any level, and you become a major league manager, then your major league playing experience as a catcher is one of your biggest qualifications. And Hinch's limited time in the majors as a player is relevant.

Last edited by FatLeprechaun on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/firing-fredi-gonzalez/

Interesting article on Fredi Gonzalez firing... and what they think of Bobby V.

Quote:
Ultimately, the Marlins didnít do much harm to Frediís image. Right now, heís perceived as a martyr who made the most of a bad situation with an unrealistic, penny-pinching owner, who doesnít kowtow to superstars, and who is the likeliest successor to Bobby Cox in Atlanta, one of the most coveted managerís seats in baseball since the last manager Jeffrey Loria fired, Joe Girardi, took over for Joe Torre in the Bronx. Being fired doesnít hurt Fredi. And if Loria hires Bobby Valentine, as seems likely, the team probably wonít see much difference in the won-loss column: though Valentineís style is very different from the methodical Gonzalez (Chris Jaffe has compared Valentine to Dodger overtinkerer Charlie Dressen), Bobby V is an above-average skipper.

I would love to have someone who is considered an above-average skipper. Our current skipper might be the worst in the majors.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all know he doesn't have much experience.

Im just trying to figure out EXACTLY what he is doing to have a bad influence on the outcome of games.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
Our current skipper might be the worst in the majors.

How do you know that? What exactly are you basing that on? What is he doing wrong?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the Brewers are going through a very similar situation. They got a new manager last year (Macha) and havent seen results from that change either.

They have some really talented players over there - whats wrong with thier manager?
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
FatLeprechaun wrote:
Our current skipper might be the worst in the majors.

How do you know that? What exactly are you basing that on? What is he doing wrong?

The players haven't responded to him and Hinch has said the players haven't responded to him.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
Oden wrote:

I wasn't too concerned with [Hinch's] lack of experience because I assumed his time spent as a catcher gave him in-game decision making skills that I assumed BoMel should have had as well.

I think that we should remember that Hinch didn't have a particularly long or successful career as a catcher. According to baseball reference, he played in 350 games in parts of 7 seasons, and had a total of 953 career at-bats, which is about two seasons worth of at-bats for a full-time player.

I'm not trying to take a cheap shot at Hinch or suggest that major league playing experience is required or extremely helpful to being a good manager. What I'm saying is that when you don't have any sort of coaching experience at any level, and you become a major league manager, then your major league playing experience as a catcher is one of your biggest qualifications. And Hinch's limited time in the majors as a player is relevant.

Tony Larussa has the third most wins by a manager in MLB history. He had 176 AB's over 6 seasons with a .199 career average. He coached in the minors sparingly over one season. And was promoted to full time manager in less than a year. He didn't have a winning record until his third full season in the big leagues.

So did LaRussa get better over time, or did he just finally get people around him that could make him successful?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
So did LaRussa get better over time, or did he just finally get people around him that could make him successful?

Probably some of both. The games i have seen recently with Larussa managing left me scratching my head. The game i attended at Busch stadium he should take full blame for as he left Lohse in about 2 innings too long. Every Cardinal fan in the park knew Lohse was going to get a beating and Larussa left him in for it.

Last edited by qudjy1 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I also think the Brewers are going through a very similar situation. They got a new manager last year (Macha) and havent seen results from that change either.

They have some really talented players over there - whats wrong with thier manager?

The Brewers are going through the exact same things that the Diamondbacks are going through--a Manager that is being second guessed because his team in under-acheiving, a bullpen that has been inconsistant (specifically a closer that continually coughed up games through the early months), and an offense that is "all or nothing." That's why reading the posts here have been so enlightening--it resonates with everything I read on their site as well.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
FatLeprechaun wrote:
Oden wrote:

Tony Larussa has the third most wins by a manager in MLB history. He had 176 AB's over 6 seasons with a .199 career average. He coached in the minors sparingly over one season. And was promoted to full time manager in less than a year. He didn't have a winning record until his third full season in the big leagues.

Both?

I think that you are missing my point completely. It would be great if we could hire someone we KNOW is a good manager. We know that Tony LaRussa is a good manager because of his track record. We do not know that Hinch is a good manager. He could go on to have a career like LaRussa's or, more likely, manage no more than a dozen games in the rest of his life.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

The Brewers are going through the exact same things that the Diamondbacks are going through--a Manager that is being second guessed because his team in under-acheiving, a bullpen that has been inconsistant (specifically a closer that continually coughed up games through the early months), and an offense that is "all or nothing." That's why reading the posts here have been so enlightening--it resonates with everything I read on their site as well.

So, its the managers fault - no? Laughing
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
We know that Tony LaRussa is a good manager because of his track record.

I'm less sure of this to be honest. I think he picks good jobs, (edited to add:) and has a hell of a pitching coach.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a contributing factor. There are certain factions of the team that seem to have tuned Macha out (though to his credit, he was in an even tougher situation with his closer than Hinch is, in that Macha's is a future Hall of Famer, but he made the tough, and correct, call to go a different direction).
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
It might be a contributing factor. There are certain factions of the team that seem to have tuned Macha out (though to his credit, he was in an even tougher situation with his closer than Hinch is, in that Macha's is a future Hall of Famer, but he made the tough, and correct, call to go a different direction).

Yeah - maybe the manager is a factor. I think that takes some analysis that we cant do on a message board.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the most damning thing to me. If the players are tuning him out and they're winning, great. If they're tuning him out and they're losing, something has to give. I'd rather fire one guy than trade the lot of them, good/bad/ugly just for the sake of it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
That's the most damning thing to me. If the players are tuning him out and they're winning, great. If they're tuning him out and they're losing, something has to give. I'd rather fire one guy than trade the lot of them, good/bad/ugly just for the sake of it.

Is anybody tuning AJ out?
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
David B wrote:

Yeah - maybe the manager is a factor. I think that takes some analysis that we cant do on a message board.

No, we don't know. We can point out managerial decisions that we don't agree with (and we often do), but that's a bulletin board staple and means very little. What we do know (or think we know) is that the team's record is below expectations. That means either the talent is there and it's under-performing (for whatever reason), or the talent isn't there and it was over-rated to begin with. If you're in the first camp, then the abilities of the manager (as a motivator, tactitian and teacher) do indeed come in to play.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Oden wrote:

That's the rumor and there was AJ's quote. It's been alluded to in the Republic by our favorite and least favorite reporters. I don't know if the public ever really knows those things, but if there's smoke there could be fire. Lots of if's.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think that's the case (two sides). That's like saying there are those who value stats and those who don't think much of them. There's a whole lot of gray there.

Yeah, but there is not a lot of grey area left for you to try to make the claim that AJ is a good and competent manager who is an asset to this team.

If there is one I would love to hear it. Is AJ just the unluckiest guy on the planet?

Justin Upton, Mark Reynolds, Stephen Drew, Chris Young, Adam LaRoche, Kelly Johnson, Dan Haren, Edwin Jackson who all have talent and have shown that talent in the past are all playing above their abilities because of AJ Hinch, and we will see this team really fall off if he is canned?

Quote:
Leaving Jokes out - What do we think AJs biggest mistakes in game management have been?

Sorry, I can't leave jokes out. It's how I learned to get through life - by looking at it as a comedy instead of a drama.

But here are the things that I consider positives about Hinch:

Better and more consistent lineup construction with fewer changes day to day, fewer "Mad Scientist" moves (or as I called them, Professor Dumbshit moves), like Tony Clark in there against a left hander with Conor on the bench, or Tony Clark as a pinch runner with Upton on the bench, or pretty much any move involving Tony Clark (and then Augie after Tony Clark).

Things that I consider negatives about Hinch:

RESULTS, RESULTS, RESULTS. For all the professor dumbshit moves Melvin made, he took this team to the NLCS with a negative run differential and exceeded my expectations on a couple occasions (the G-Farce year being one example of a year where we did better than I expected).

Maybe the old statement "it's better to be lucky than good" applies here.

Results are the only thing that matter to me, and the only thing that will get me to stop screaming for AJ's head on a silver platter in every forum I can possibly do so is winning. Not organizational advocacy. Not being a nice guy. Not having the players all say they really, really like him. Heck not even improving his demeanor and showing more emotion. which bring me to...

Demeanor. I know, the minute I bring this one up it means that because I think AJ Hinch is an emotionless loser with a clipboard, I must want an angry, drunk Wally Backman as manager cussing and starting fights with the players ---- but if an angry drunk Wally Backman wins more games, then right on. You could give me the biggest asshole on the planet who wins, and he will be so much more beloved by me than the nicest guy on the planet who loses.

I'm not looking for a godparent for my kids. I'm looking for a baseball team to spend my summers watching.

If the umps are squeezing you, you had better get tossed out of the game. If there is a play that goes against you, you had better argue it. AJ does not do either enough for my liking, and when he does, I often find myself snickering like he is a method actor, pretending to be upset to keep me happy.

Nobody is going to hand you shit in this game (except Josh Byrnes with the keys to the managers office). You have to fight for every strike, every run, everything you get in this game. AJ Hinch doesn't have the competitive drive of my liking and if he does, I don't see it. I personally still question whether he has the respect of everybody else on the field, which scares the shit out of me that we are going to waste years so AJ can get some on the job training and the respect of everyone else in the game.

Being a puppet for the FO. I realized after Melvin was fired that some of the moves that I criticized Melvin for, such as using Rauch in key situations over and over and over again even as he blew them over and over again, was actually coming from the FO when AJ continued them. While I like the consistent lineups, are those really my only two choices? Having a FO yes man who has no instinct for the game and just puts out the lineup his boss gives him and uses the bullpen guys his boss tells him, or someone who leaves you scratching your head as to what he was thinking every night?

Not being at all proactive. We are in June and Chad Qualls has been awful pretty much right from the start, and we finally got a change last week. Last week! If Heilman doesn't work out, how long will we have to sit and watch him struggle? Another two and a half months? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results and I have seen a lot of insanity out of AJ in that respect. Same with Gut. part of the reason we end up hating these guys is because AJ keeps throwing them out there in key situtations so they end up failing horribly.

I could go through specific in-game decisions, but I would just be called a second guesser, which I would be. I don't expect every move to work out. But if you are a good manager, then the law of averages says that those moves will work out more than they don't, which they haven't with AJ.

Again, maybe the moral to the AJ Hinch story is "It's better to be lucky than good" but I just don't see how you can claim to be a professional team concerned with winning, and not fire him after what we have witnessed since he took over the team.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
RESULTS, RESULTS, RESULTS.

So, you are one of those people who think the manager has more influence over games than players. You are welcome to that opinion, but i disagree.

Quote:
Demeanor.

Rolling Eyes You can have backman... Not all good managers are Fiery (tm)

Quote:
Being a puppet for the FO.

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Not being at all proactive. We are in June and Chad Qualls has been awful pretty much right from the start, and we finally got a change last week. Last week! If Heilman doesn't work out, how long will we have to sit and watch him struggle? Another two and a half months? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results and I have seen a lot of insanity out of AJ in that respect. Same with Gut. part of the reason we end up hating these guys is because AJ keeps throwing them out there in key situtations so they end up failing horribly.

Well - he doesnt exactly have alot of choices. Who would you have used instead?

I wouldnt mind seeing what things you think about his actual strategy you dont like.

The rest of the things you have listed are debateable at best.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
Oden wrote:

That's the rumor and there was AJ's quote. It's been alluded to in the Republic by our favorite and least favorite reporters. I don't know if the public ever really knows those things, but if there's smoke there could be fire. Lots of if's.

The rumor from who? Well, his quote didnt exactly say they were tuning him out - he said they arent responding as seen by the results of wins and losses.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: