Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dave Zirin: Boycott the Arizona Diamondbacks
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Dave Zirin: Boycott the Arizona Diamondbacks Reply with quote

http://www.progressive.org/zirinjune10.html

Quote:
This will be the last column I write about the Arizona Diamondbacks in the foreseeable future. For me, they do not exist. They will continue to not exist in my mind as long as the horribly named “Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act” remains law in Arizona. This law has brought echoes of apartheid to the state.

In response, Representative Raul Grijalva, who’s from Arizona itself, has called for a national boycott against the state, saying, “Do not vacation and or retire there.” He got so many hateful threats this week that he had to close his Arizona offices at noon on Friday.

Many of us aren’t in either the imminent vacation or retirement mode. We do, however, live in baseball cities where the Arizona Diamondbacks comes to play.

When they arrive in my hometown in D.C., my back will be turned, and my television will be off. This is not merely because they happen to be the team from Arizona. The D-backs organization is a primary funder of the state Republican Party, which has been driving the measure through the legislature.

As the official Arizona Diamondbacks boycott call states, “In 2010, the National Republican Senatorial Committee’s third highest Contributor was the [executives of the] Arizona Diamondbacks, who gave $121,600; furthermore, they also contributed $129,500, which ranked as the eighteenth highest contribution to the Republican Party Committee.” The team’s big boss, Ken Kendrick, and his family members, E. G. Kendrick Sr. and Randy Kendrick, made contributions to the Republicans totaling a staggering $1,023,527. The Kendricks follow in the footsteps of team founder and former owner Jerry Colangelo.

But... but... what about Los Dbacks?

I'm boycotting the Dbacks because the bullpen is shit. But the effect is the same.

And fans will start boycotting them once the dog days of summer bury them in the West.

Then again, maybe Kendrick can bring a few fans to Chase by advertising this article.

Maybe the Dbacks can even sponsor a "Beat the shit out an illegal Mexican Day" at Chase...
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stupid.

How many of baseball's owners do you think are republican and support republican politicians ?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
This is stupid.

How many of baseball's owners do you think are republican and support republican politicians ?

How many states have the stupidest ass anti-immigration laws you've ever seen?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
This is stupid.

But to answer your question, my gut says most of them. Except for, I'd guess, the occasional owner of a team in a state that isn't stuck in the middle ages.

My gut says that the POTUS will take on immigration reform shortly after the financial regulation bill becomes a law, and federal law will supersede AZ's ridiculousness.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are other Republican policies in other Republican states that people are vehmently opposed to. Do the teams in those states get people calling for boycotts ?

It's stupid.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
I'm sure there are other Republican policies in other Republican states that people are vehmently opposed to. Do the teams in those states get people calling for boycotts ?

It's stupid.

It's one man's opinion. Which is just as valid as your opinion.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

It's stupid.

Nonsense !!!!! How can anyone elses opinion be as valid as mine. ?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
levski wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

It's stupid.

listen to your daddy lev Laughing
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to think, however, that the Dbacks have been trying to foster close ties with Mexico (Hermosillo in particular) for a long time, and, let's face it, the Mexican population remains a significant market in Arizona - and it's really not going to diminish because of the latest stupid law.

Luckily for Kendrick et al, I don't think many illegal immigrants read Zirin's blog, or are likely to draw the same conclusions from the Kendricks support for the AZ's Republican army - or the potential for a negative spin of the recent law may be quite uncomfortable for the Dbacks.

I imagine it would take one journalist writing for a Spanish newspaper to come up with a poster that has Kendrick pointing his finger at a Mexican and saying "I want you out!" and the Spanish speaking court of public opinion may rule vehemently against the Dbacks, sooner than later.

That might make it awkward when the Dbacks start sending out Spanish-language season ticket renewal notices later on this summer...

Last edited by levski on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
levski wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

It's stupid.

It's probably half as valid, but that doesn't make it stupid.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the discussion over at BTF

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/zirin_boycott_the_arizona_diamondbacks/

David Nieporent makes a good post in there (#40)
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start by saying that I don't support the law.

That being said, the law has 70% support in Arizona. Since one assumes that few Hispanics support the law, that means pretty much everybody else in Arizona does. A Republican Governor signed it, but it looks like most non-Hispanic Democrats also support the law.

Final word, because portions of the law appear to be blatantly unconstitutional and treads all over the Fourth Amendment (what's left of it, anyway), one assumes that a Federal judge will be enjoining at least the most intrusive parts of the law more or less immediately. I don't expect that the statute will ever be enforced.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

Luckily for Kendrick et al, I don't think many illegal immigrants read Zirin's blog, or are likely to draw the same conclusions from the Kendricks support for the AZ's Republican army - or the potential for a negative spin of the recent law may be quite uncomfortable for the Dbacks. .

If Sheriff Joe & his merry men start camping out to check brown skinned Dbacks fans entering Chase, Kendrick would take a public $tance again$t enforcement of this idiotic law.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Zirin: Boycott the Arizona Diamondbacks Reply with quote

levski wrote:
http://www.progressive.org/zirinjune10.html

As the official Arizona Diamondbacks boycott call states, “In 2010, the National Republican Senatorial Committee’s third highest Contributor was the [executives of the] Arizona Diamondbacks, who gave $121,600; furthermore, they also contributed $129,500, which ranked as the eighteenth highest contribution to the Republican Party Committee..

Now if they donated money individually I have no problem with this.

If they gave away money as the AZ DBACKS than its both bad business and wrong. If part of your fan base that is offended and want to boycott they have that right.

And hell ya that's money we could have used for player salaries. Wink Evil or Very Mad
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
It's stupid.

X2

Regardless of political leanings, this is just lame.
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dave Zirin: Boycott the Arizona Diamondbacks Reply with quote

Quote:
This will be the last column I write about the Arizona Diamondbacks in the foreseeable future.

How many columns had he written about the Diamondbacks since Opening Day? Am I missing Zirin's sharp analysis of our bullpen issues? Or is he just another gasbag pundit flogging a dead horse he never even rode?
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:

That being said, the law has 70% support in Arizona. Since one assumes that few Hispanics support the law, that means pretty much everybody else in Arizona does. A Republican Governor signed it, but it looks like most non-Hispanic Democrats also support the law.

Final word, because portions of the law appear to be blatantly unconstitutional and treads all over the Fourth Amendment (what's left of it, anyway), one assumes that a Federal judge will be enjoining at least the most intrusive parts of the law more or less immediately. I don't expect that the statute will ever be enforced.

Why the assumption? I assume you to be completely wrong in your assumption because I imagine most of the Democrat non-hispanic communtity is against this. The hispanic population alone is 30%. I would think larger, but underrepresented. If only half of the 40% of non-Hispanic Democrats aren't racists and oppose the bill, that still leaves a good portion of Hispanics in support of the racist legislation.

I personally have my doubts because I just don't know how a state can effectively pass legislation that takes a federal responsibility away, make it their own by state law, and have it hold up. It will cost the state lots of money in legal bills for trying to IMO rightfully uphold immigration laws that should be enforced by the federal government. I know the federal government doesn't give a rats ass about this issue, and they haven't whether it is D or R controlled.
Hank
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz wrote:
Hank wrote:

Why the assumption? I assume you to be completely wrong in your assumption because I imagine most of the Democrat non-hispanic communtity is against this. The hispanic population alone is 30%. I would think larger, but underrepresented. If only half of the 40% of non-Hispanic Democrats aren't racists and oppose the bill, that still leaves a good portion of Hispanics in support of the racist legislation.

I personally have my doubts because I just don't know how a state can effectively pass legislation that takes a federal responsibility away, make it their own by state law, and have it hold up. It will cost the state lots of money in legal bills for trying to IMO rightfully uphold immigration laws that should be enforced by the federal government. I know the federal government doesn't give a rats ass about this issue, and they haven't whether it is D or R controlled.

Well, I think the state is about 30% Hispanic. That doesn't leave a lot of room for anybody else to be against the issue if 70% of people in Arizona support it.

My point is that the support appears to cut across party lines. It is a piece with the annoying strands of populism infecting both parties. The average Democrat construction worker down at the union hall probably loves this bill every bit as much as Russell Pearce. Elite, white Democrats and latinos are against the bill. Libertarians like me are against the bill. Everybody else, not so much.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the bill, beyond the portion under attack, is a result of the federal government failing to do their job and leaving border states to foot the bill. My concern is that this creates immense liability for police officers, who are already vastly underpaid for the risk they face each day. Governor Brewer said that she will tolerate no racial profiling and will make an example of any police officer that does so. This tells me that any police officer -- whether unlawful profiling was used or not -- that finds himself the subject of a lawsuit claiming profiling, will receive no support from above. Let's create a controversial measure, and then leave the police out to hang when push comes to shove. If a portion of the bill invites lawsuits, send it back to alter the wording to make your intentions clear - or don't sign it.

But back to the original article that began this thread - screw you Dave Zirin. Please remind us again just how many articles you've written about our Arizona Diamondbacks prior to today's drivel.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested to see if the 70% support number that everyone keeps throwing out there holds up over the next couple weeks

If you had called me a couple weeks ago and asked me if I supported some then unknown bill that cracks down on illegal immigrants I would have said yes, however, I don't support this bill that makes racial profiling nearly mandatory for police officers (unless they plan on arresting every man, woman, and child who happens to not have proper identification).

As far as this article, I support his decisions and others like it.

I was stoked about the All Star Game here next year and sent the MLB an email asking them to move it because of this law.
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank wrote:
Driaz wrote:
Hank wrote:

Well, I think the state is about 30% Hispanic. That doesn't leave a lot of room for anybody else to be against the issue if 70% of people in Arizona support it.

My point is that the support appears to cut across party lines. It is a piece with the annoying strands of populism infecting both parties. The average Democrat construction worker down at the union hall probably loves this bill every bit as much as Russell Pearce. Elite, white Democrats and latinos are against the bill. Libertarians like me are against the bill. Everybody else, not so much.

Maybe in trying to be too self deprecating in my views I lost you. Simply put, I don't believe that Hispanics are the only ones opposed to the bill. So that means there are Hispanic Americans in favor of the legislation when you factor in the huge numbers of non-Hispanic Democrats that oppose this in order to maintain the 70-30 split. I'm with you on the roughly 30%, I just don't follow the "ALL" hispanics disagree point and thus all non-hispanics, includinging some of our very own lovable white liberals are in favor of it, when we know they are not. Everyone of our cute socialist bunnies has to be replaced with a hispanic that is in favor of the legislation to maintain that 70-30 split. Admittedly, we have the best liberal minds in the state that post on the baseball forum that doesn't suck, but I doubt they are the only non hispanic folks that disagree with the legislation.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not split specifically along racial lines.

I know of some naturally-born American hispanic citizens and naturalized hispanic American citizens that are not happy that others aren't taking the legal route to citizenship.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Zirin: Boycott the Arizona Diamondbacks Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

And hell ya that's money we could have used for player salaries. Wink Evil or Very Mad

Or player cards...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dave Zirin: Boycott the Arizona Diamondbacks Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
Quote:
This will be the last column I write about the Arizona Diamondbacks in the foreseeable future.

How many columns had he written about the Diamondbacks since Opening Day? Am I missing Zirin's sharp analysis of our bullpen issues? Or is he just another gasbag pundit flogging a dead horse he never even rode?

He's smart enough to not wade into the tar pits called "Dbacks bullpen" (and I don't mean just this forum)... Laughing

And you probably should leave the name-calling to people like myself. It's not the thing respected bloggers do...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deweyniner wrote:
It's not split specifically along racial lines.

I know of some naturally-born American hispanic citizens and naturalized hispanic American citizens that are not happy that others aren't taking the legal route to citizenship.

You mean all those previously illegal immigrants who benefited from a general amnesty a few years ago? Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: