Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck
 
 Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Roster
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Roster Reply with quote

Jim has posted a possible roster at the snakepit

http://www.azsnakepit.com/

In addition to the starters, he has Snyder, Roberts, Parra, Ojeda and TBA as the position players and Haren, Jackson, Kennedy, Rosales, Qualls, Heilman, Howry, Kroenke, Boyer, Zavadanad Guitierrez as the pitchers (Webb DL)

I think this is pretty accurate. I sure would like Baliey (458/536/750 in 24 ab's this spring) to be the TBA. It gives us a nice platoon/ pinch hitting option off the bench with Parra coming from the left side. Even the threat of the right side hitter might cause the opposition to leave in a rh to face Parra.

Also La Roche is 251/310/444, 969 pa's against lh. If they don't platoon, resting him against lh would be good.

If Ojeda is gone, then Abreau is the UT, but if Ojeda stays, why have some many infielders. I'd rather have Bailey, but my first choice would be to trade Ojeda.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pitching, the bubble pitching choice for me would be none of the above, but they have to have someone, I guess.*

They don;t need a fifth starter until later in the season, so I think Jim has the opening day roster nailed (I would like see them carry 11 pitchers at the start and even the whole year (using Reno to rotate the 11th pitcher as needed for freshness and current performance).

If they carry 12, I think a starter will there by the end of April and then it will be between Zavada and Kroenke as to who will go. Because of Rule 5, Kroenke probably stays unless he has really stunk the place up.

*Even Norberto's nifty era comes with 6 walks in 7 ip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qudjy1
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 12060

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We kinda have a roster thread...

http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org/viewtopic.php?p=337918#337918

Dont know much about bailey - other than he hits leftys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats more about speculation and payroll. This is reposting a snakepit article on the actual roster imo.
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Roster Reply with quote

stu wrote:
Jim has posted a possible roster at the snakepit

http://www.azsnakepit.com/

In addition to the starters, he has Snyder, Roberts, Parra, Ojeda and TBA as the position players and Haren, Jackson, Kennedy, Rosales, Qualls, Heilman, Howry, Kroenke, Boyer, Zavada and Guitierrez as the pitchers (Webb DL)


Kroenke won't make it.
And I count only 3 SPs.
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed Lopez, He is the 12th pitcher. Rosales was listed as a potential starter, long man.

As I said in the second post, there will need to be a 5th starter at some poitn and that is when the Zavada, Norberto, Kroenke decision must be made. I also missed Vasquez. Is he hurt? I would think he would be in the mix.

We need a loogy and I don't especially like any of these guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amit
AA Prospect


Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real surprise, but the Diamondbacks sent Allen, Gillespie, Buckner, and Mulvey to AAA today. Buckner, Mulvey, or Benson should get the call when a 5th starter is needed on April 17.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ValueArb
Veteran Presence


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 1896
Location: Post trade WAR, Quentin 3.3, Haren 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Roster Reply with quote

stu wrote:

I think this is pretty accurate. I sure would like Baliey (458/536/750 in 24 ab's this spring) to be the TBA. It gives us a nice platoon/ pinch hitting option off the bench with Parra coming from the left side. Even the threat of the right side hitter might cause the opposition to leave in a rh to face Parra.

Also La Roche is 251/310/444, 969 pa's against lh. If they don't platoon, resting him against lh would be good.

If Ojeda is gone, then Abreau is the UT, but if Ojeda stays, why have some many infielders. I'd rather have Bailey, but my first choice would be to trade Ojeda.


What Stu said. Bailey can hit, and this is a team that needs hitting, esp. a guy who can platoon a little with La Roche. Zips projects him at .270/.357/.441 or a 102 OPS+. That's still well above average for our lineup, but his career OPS against LHP is over 1.000, of course in a tiny sample size. But his career OPS vs. LHP in the minors was almost 100 pts than his career, meaning he's probably a good bet to put up a .800 OPS+ vs. LHP in the majors.
_________________
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 5485

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I know Bailey has played a significant amount of time behind the plate and in the OF. If we traded both Snyder and Ojeda this week, it might make sense to bring Hester, Bailey and Abreu in to round out the bench (Parra, Roberts, Abreu, Bailey, Hester). Give Hester backup C duties, Bailey as a PH vs. LHP/5th OF/emergency C/emergency 1B.

You could also make a case for Ryal over Roberts, but I'll give Roberts enough rope to hang himself based on his performance and dedication he showed last season.
_________________
The Original Wannabe Sheriff
2010 SHERIFF HR TICKER: 24
2010 SHERIFF RBI TICKER: 64
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
baldmaga
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3102
Location: Louisiana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lopez being announced as the 4th starter, I doubt they are pursuing anymore trades this spring. I'd say the final straw would be the eventual release of ojeda, or option of abreu. Although I'm not entirely sure if abreu has options to use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ValueArb
Veteran Presence


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 1896
Location: Post trade WAR, Quentin 3.3, Haren 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:

You could also make a case for Ryal over Roberts, but I'll give Roberts enough rope to hang himself based on his performance and dedication he showed last season.


My impression is that Roberts is the better defender, and ZIPS thinks he's the much better hitter (95 vs. 84 OPS+). But if Ryal takes a step forward, that difference disappears in a heartbeat.
_________________
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 5485

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
My impression is that Roberts is the better defender, and ZIPS thinks he's the much better hitter (95 vs. 84 OPS+). But if Ryal takes a step forward, that difference disappears in a heartbeat.


For the record, I do indeed prefer Roberts over Ryal.

I agree with the points you made, VA. Roberts isn't necessarily the better hitter in terms of raw talent, but he definitely is more polished and superior in-game at the dish.

Ryal's a guy that I find myself really wanting to succeed, but I feel that Rusty still has quite an amount of work to do in the minors.
_________________
The Original Wannabe Sheriff
2010 SHERIFF HR TICKER: 24
2010 SHERIFF RBI TICKER: 64
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 55360

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abreu lands gig on Opening Day roster

Quote:
The D-backs also announced that infielder Tony Abreu had made the team, meaning there is just one spot open on the roster for either Rusty Ryal or Ryan Roberts. D-backs manager A.J. Hinch said a decision will be made on Saturday.


Quote:
In addition, the team said left-hander Zach Kroenke had cleared waivers and was optioned to Reno.

_________________
Keep those trades coming DiPoto...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence


Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Posts: 2421

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Ryal over Roberts is a no-brainer. Why not go with the younger player who has more potential?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
William K
Veteran Presence


Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 1896
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought since Kroenke was a Rule 5, he had to be offered back to the Yankees...

Sort of surprised that Norberto beat out Zavada. He hasn't pitched above Double A but he certainly had the better Spring by a big margin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William K wrote:
I thought since Kroenke was a Rule 5, he had to be offered back to the Yankees...

Sort of surprised that Norberto beat out Zavada. He hasn't pitched above Double A but he certainly had the better Spring by a big margin.


Nick dissects all the moves

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/77465
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
For me Ryal over Roberts is a no-brainer. Why not go with the younger player who has more potential?



Roberts, DOB September 19, 1980
Ryal, DOB March 16, 1983

So we're talking 2 1/2 years, but you're comparing a guy who turned 27 to a guy who's 29. Does age make much difference here? It really doesn't.

Projections:

http://baseballprojection.com/2010/ARI2010.htm

Player, R150, Def

Roberts, -2, -3
Ryal, -22, -8
Ojeda, -22, 3

Roberts has a better projection and is better defensively at 2b.
Ryal may have the higher slugging percentage...

Roberts really is the better choice here.
In fact, both Ryal and Roberts should stay
And Augie should've been traded weeks ago
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never thought that decisions should be made on the basis of ST. Yet that is what the Dbacks seems to be doing. Norbeto has pitched less than 24 innings above A and that was done poorly. Ryal had an OK year last (and was very good in his 70 or so pa's in the majors) year, but was an out machine his two prior years at AA.

The Dbacks have not been very good in recent years on roster construction. They now have two utility infielders, no 5th outfielder, utility infielders as your rh bats off the bench and platoon, and a 23 year old loogy who has control issues and no experience. I suppose without Webb, they are not going to contend and these moves are likely going to cost them at most a couple games over the year. I guess they might as well see some young guys, but it would have been nice to see at least an effort at the start of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the positive front, Lopez looked great last night and apparently has throughout ST. This would be an exception to my rule that ST shouldn't be a big factor in decision making. Tommy John is a great thing for pitchers. Before his injury, Lopez would have looked like a very good 5th starter for the Dbacks. After TJ, he looks much much better than that. This could be a great find.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
I have never thought that decisions should be made on the basis of ST. Yet that is what the Dbacks seems to be doing. Norbeto has pitched less than 24 innings above A and that was done poorly. Ryal had an OK year last (and was very good in his 70 or so pa's in the majors) year, but was an out machine his two prior years at AA.

The Dbacks have not been very good in recent years on roster construction. They now have two utility infielders, no 5th outfielder, utility infielders as your rh bats off the bench and platoon, and a 23 year old loogy who has control issues and no experience. I suppose without Webb, they are not going to contend and these moves are likely going to cost them at most a couple games over the year. I guess they might as well see some young guys, but it would have been nice to see at least an effort at the start of the year.


Overall, I agree... but:

1) When you're talking about choosing b/w Zavada and Norberto, I'd go with the "stuff" guy if their raw stats are comparable... and Zavada has been walking even more guys than Norberto this year. Plus, it'd be pretty easy to demote Norberto and call up Zavada if needed. That's not a big deal.

2) On the bench, you want some flexibility, and Abreu, Roberts, Augie, and to some extent Ryal give you all that. I think Abreu and Augie are redundant, but that's the deal with guaranteeing Augie $800k or so. Unless you're advocating for bringing in a Matt Stairs guy, am not sure what else the Dbacks should've done.

3) The bench is really going to become an issue if the starters struggle - and if the starters struggle, nobody will give a shit about the bench anyhow. This team will go as far as JU, MR, MM, SD and the supporting cast take them. Those are the cards that brung them.

4) The back of the rotation depth is a big issue. Given how spent they are financially, I don't know how they'll address it besides taking a flier on some guy whom other teams don't want. Nate Robertson was traded for nothing to FLA - and the Tigers are paying all of his contract except for $400k. Where were the Dbacks on that action? He's better than Benson...

5) IPK and Lopez will need to NOT turn into pumpkins once the regular season starts. If they flop, this season will turn to shit in a hurry...
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 10330
Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
stu wrote:
I have never thought that decisions should be made on the basis of ST. Yet that is what the Dbacks seems to be doing. Norbeto has pitched less than 24 innings above A and that was done poorly. Ryal had an OK year last (and was very good in his 70 or so pa's in the majors) year, but was an out machine his two prior years at AA.

The Dbacks have not been very good in recent years on roster construction. They now have two utility infielders, no 5th outfielder, utility infielders as your rh bats off the bench and platoon, and a 23 year old loogy who has control issues and no experience. I suppose without Webb, they are not going to contend and these moves are likely going to cost them at most a couple games over the year. I guess they might as well see some young guys, but it would have been nice to see at least an effort at the start of the year.


Overall, I agree... but:

1) When you're talking about choosing b/w Zavada and Norberto, I'd go with the "stuff" guy if their raw stats are comparable... and Zavada has been walking even more guys than Norberto this year. Plus, it'd be pretty easy to demote Norberto and call up Zavada if needed. That's not a big deal.

2) On the bench, you want some flexibility, and Abreu, Roberts, Augie, and to some extent Ryal give you all that. I think Abreu and Augie are redundant, but that's the deal with guaranteeing Augie $800k or so. Unless you're advocating for bringing in a Matt Stairs guy, am not sure what else the Dbacks should've done.

3) The bench is really going to become an issue if the starters struggle - and if the starters struggle, nobody will give a shit about the bench anyhow. This team will go as far as JU, MR, MM, SD and the supporting cast take them. Those are the cards that brung them.

4) The back of the rotation depth is a big issue. Given how spent they are financially, I don't know how they'll address it besides taking a flier on some guy whom other teams don't want. Nate Robertson was traded for nothing to FLA - and the Tigers are paying all of his contract except for $400k. Where were the Dbacks on that action? He's better than Benson...

5) IPK and Lopez will need to NOT turn into pumpkins once the regular season starts. If they flop, this season will turn to shit in a hurry...


1) agree..
2) wish someone had some more pop off bench
3) if any of the bench guys have to start for an extended time frame for JU10, MR27, SD6, MM26... well if will get ulgy fast
4) NO SHIT
5) see #4
_________________
win the series make the playoffs
series record to date 11-19-3
april 11-12 | may 9-20 | june 11-16
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baldmaga
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3102
Location: Louisiana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roberts really is the better choice here.
In fact, both Ryal and Roberts should stay
And Augie should've been traded weeks ago


Augie is unfortunately thus years albatross. Other than the fact that he switch hits, does a .220 from the left side really warrant a roster spot at the expense of two seemingly better players?

Also, how many teams out there can say they carry just one lefty on their entire staff?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
stu
Hall of Famer


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 4492

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You are using ST stats for Norebto and Zavada. And what about Kroenke. He stunk in the spring, but his overall stats are decent.

2. If they are looking at ST stats, why not Jeff Bailey? he killed in the spring and has a better chance of being a productive hitter this year than Ryal (especially if he is platooned). He has more experience at 1b than Ryal and could fir there as a platoon.

3. I said the moves are only going to cost a couple games so I agree that the starters are more important (duh)

4. No question about Kennedy and Lopez. I would have questions if they were our 4 and 5 starters. As our 3 and 4 (with no one at 5), they become serious concerns. Both have to do well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty makes it.

Ryan to Reno.
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Rusty makes it.

Ryan to Reno.


Good for RR.
Sucks for RR.
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



visitors since April 13, 2006.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group