Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oregon RB James receives 10-day jail sentence

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadman
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Oregon RB James receives 10-day jail sentence Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4989362

Quote:
Oregon running back LaMichael James pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor harassment charge and was sentenced to 10 days in jail on Friday for an altercation with a woman outside his apartment last month.

James, who appeared in Lane County Circuit Court on Friday morning, will then spend 24 months on probation as part of the plea agreement with prosecutors.

He must report to jail on Friday afternoon, but it was unclear whether he would serve any time.

Deputy District Attorney Alex Gardner said jail time was up to the Lane County Sheriff's Department, which would likely place James in a diversion program instead because of overcrowding.

James, who set a Pac-10 freshman record with more than 1,500 yards rushing last season, originally faced five misdemeanor charges, including menacing, strangulation and assault. All but the harassment charge were dropped.

James was in court with his attorney for the hearing before Judge Maurice K. Merten, which lasted just a little more than five minutes. The running back left the courtroom without comment.

In a statement that was included in court documents related to the case, James apologized to the victim, a former girlfriend. She claimed he grabbed her neck and pushed her to the ground during an argument on Feb. 15.

"I hope to put this matter behind me now and learn from it. I have made a mistake and accept the consequences," the statement said. "I look forward to demonstrating to my university, to my team and to the community that I am a better man than recent events suggest."

James rushed for 1,546 yards last season as a freshman, the ninth-highest total in the nation. He had seven consecutive 100-yard games before Ohio State limited him to 70 in Oregon's 26-17 loss in the Rose Bowl.

Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was due in the same courtroom later Friday to face arraignment on an unrelated felony burglary charge.

The two are the highest profile Oregon teammates among several players who have had legal trouble since the Rose Bowl.

Coach Chip Kelly, who has been criticized for how he has disciplined players, has said he will not make any announcement about the futures of James and Masoli until Friday's court hearings have concluded.

Masoli's felony charge stems from the theft of two laptops and a guitar from a university fraternity house in late January. Also charged with second-degree burglary was former receiver Garrett Embry, whom Kelly dismissed from the team earlier in January for an unrelated violation of team rules.

Masoli threw for 2,147 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Led in large part by Masoli and James, Oregon made a remarkable comeback from a season-opening loss to Boise State and won its first Pac-10 title since 2001. The Ducks earned their first trip to the Rose Bowl since 1995.

It has been an offseason of disarray for the Ducks, with several players in trouble.

Placekicker Rob Beard pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor harassment charge last week for his role in a Jan. 24 street fight that left him seriously injured.

Beard, who remained on Oregon's active roster, was placed on probation.

Linebacker Kiko Alonso pleaded not guilty to drunken driving charges in Eugene Municipal Court last week. Kelly suspended Alonso for the 2010 season upon learning of the arrest.

Defensive end Matt Simms was dismissed by Kelly after he was cited on assault charges last month. Simms pleaded guilty to physical harassment for striking a man he thought had beaten Beard.

Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats in the water in the RB meeting room there?
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Kent out as Ducks basketball coach after 13 seasons with 2 elite-8s (and he didn't even steal anything or punch anyone out). The hunt is on to bring a "name coach" to Eugene, with NIKE getting involved in the search.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
Ernie Kent out as Ducks basketball coach after 13 seasons with 2 elite-8s (and he didn't even steal anything or punch anyone out). The hunt is on to bring a "name coach" to Eugene, with NIKE getting involved in the search.

Oregon Grad Few?

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:

with nike getting in the picture, it could be anyone
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducking Out: Mike Bellotti Leaving Oregon for ESPN

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: