Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2010 Diamondbacks starting pitching
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: 2010 Diamondbacks starting pitching Reply with quote

Ian Browne / MLB.com this morning wrote:
Though every starting rotation in this era includes five pitchers, perhaps the most important number for teams who have visions of playing deep into October is three.

When the Red Sox made their big splash for John Lackey in December -- investing some five years and $82.5 million -- they weren't just getting an upper-echelon starter. They were also forming what could emerge into the best big three in the Majors in 2010.

Over the course of a 162-game season, and perhaps even more in the month of October, that type of mentality that permeates a team -- and also demoralizes the opposition -- can be invaluable.

And that's why teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Cardinals, D-backs and Giants, to name a few, feel so good about their chances in 2010. They have formidable trios at the top of their rotations.

In the category of most improved big three, the winner is probably the D-backs. The biggest key to that is simply the return of ace Brandon Webb, the 2006 NL Cy Young Award winner, from a shoulder injury that limited him to one start last year. They still have the ever-solid Dan Haren, who has quietly won 14 games or more in each of the last five seasons. Then, there is the key new acquisition in the form of Edwin Jackson, whom general manager Josh Byrnes pried loose from the Tigers in the three-way Curtis Granderson deal. Jackson, 26, has come into his own the last two years, winning an aggregate 27 games.

"Obviously the starting rotation has been a priority for us the last several years and we've invested quite a bit of our resources in it," said Byrnes.

But the D-backs don't have the only trio that could stick out in the National League West. Don't forget about the Giants, who have as good a tandem as any team in the game in Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain. The key, however, is Barry Zito. Though the lefty has struggled in large spurts since signing his big deal in San Francisco three years ago, he is coming off a strong second half when he posted a 2.83 ERA over his final 15 starts. Only once over that span did Zito allow more than three earned runs.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening Day conundrum: Webb or Haren?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start Haren. Webb was hurt all last year, if Webb bitches then STFU. Its just an honor anyway, not like it matters. Would it matter if Brian Anderson or Omar Daal had thrown the first pitch in 1998? Schilling in 2002?
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
I start Haren. Webb was hurt all last year, if Webb bitches then STFU. Its just an honor anyway, not like it matters. Would it matter if Brian Anderson or Omar Daal had thrown the first pitch in 1998? Schilling in 2002?

if you can sit MR27 AND JU10 (i knw it was bomel) opening day last year you can start DH15.....

but if helps to resign him, start BW17 Wink
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are actually considering not starting the greatest homegrown player to come up through this organization (until JU comes through on his huge potential)?

This could be Webb's final year with the team and if they are actually thinking about not giving him the opening day start, I think everyone must be 100% sure it is his final year (not that many of us weren't sure before)..

I won't be going to Opening Day if Webb isn't on the hill, provided he isn't hurt.

We didn't tell RJ that he wasn't the opening day starter in 2004 because he got hurt the year before, did we?

The fact remains that as long as he is healthy Webb is still a better pitcher: he has proven more at this level and he has accomplished more with this team.

If Hinch and Byrnes are going to treat Webb like garbage during his final year, just trade him if he proves he is healthy in spring training. Don't disrespect him and treat him like he's garbage.

After reading the article, I have to wonder how much longer it will be before we read the inevitable "Webb is a clubhouse cancer" articles that always seem to come up when a well-liked player departs.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not getting the opening day start equate to being "treated like garbage"???

Wouldnt Haren feel "treated like garbage" if not given the opening day start after basically carrying the staff last year.

I think you are putting too much weight on the importance of the opening day start. I cant imagine either player being pissed about it at all...
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - i woudl put Haren as opening day. I would rather him go vs LA on the 15th vs Webb. Webb is PROBABLY still going to be getting things together his first couple starts - and i would rather his first starts be vs SD, PITT.

Mon, 4/5 Padres - Haren
Tue, 4/6 Padres - Webb
Wed, 4/7 Padres - Jackson
Day off
Fri, 4/9 Pirates - Kennedey
Sat, 4/10 Pirates - Haren
Sun, 4/11 Pirates - Webb
Day off
Tue, 4/13 at Dodgers - Jackson
Wed, 4/14 at Dodgers - kennedy
Thu, 4/15 at Dodgers - Haren
Fri, 4/16 at Padres - webb
Sat, 4/17 at Padres - jackson
Sun, 4/18 at Padres - Kenndey
Mon, 4/19 Cardinals - Buckner
Tue, 4/20 Cardinals - Haren
Wed, 4/21 Cardinals - webb
Day off
Fri, 4/23 Phillies - Jackson
Sat, 4/24 Phillies - Kennedy
Sun, 4/25 Phillies - Buckner
Mon, 4/26 at Rockies - Haren
Tue, 4/27 at Rockies - Webb
Wed, 4/28 at Rockies - jack
Thu, 4/29 at Cubs - kennedy
Fri, 4/30 at Cubs - buckner
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other topic... Is Kennedy really the 4th starter - or the 5th???

I think his innings limit shoudl eb around 160 or so...
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
BTW - i woudl put Haren as opening day. I would rather him go vs LA on the 15th vs Webb. Webb is PROBABLY still going to be getting things together his first couple starts - and i would rather his first starts be vs SD, PITT.

Mon, 4/5 Padres - Haren
Tue, 4/6 Padres - Webb
Wed, 4/7 Padres - Jackson
Day off
Fri, 4/9 Pirates - Kennedey
Sat, 4/10 Pirates - Haren
Sun, 4/11 Pirates - Webb
Day off
Tue, 4/13 at Dodgers - Jackson
Wed, 4/14 at Dodgers - kennedy
Thu, 4/15 at Dodgers - Haren
Fri, 4/16 at Padres - webb
Sat, 4/17 at Padres - jackson
Sun, 4/18 at Padres - Kenndey
Mon, 4/19 Cardinals - Buckner
Tue, 4/20 Cardinals - Haren
Wed, 4/21 Cardinals - webb
Day off
Fri, 4/23 Phillies - Jackson
Sat, 4/24 Phillies - Kennedy
Sun, 4/25 Phillies - Buckner
Mon, 4/26 at Rockies - Haren
Tue, 4/27 at Rockies - Webb
Wed, 4/28 at Rockies - jack
Thu, 4/29 at Cubs - kennedy
Fri, 4/30 at Cubs - buckner

i like the thought process and i agree 10000000000% with you, but i have a question: with 4-12 off would they skip IPK31 on the 14th and move up BW17 and throw this thought all out of wack?

i know it is an early season game vs LA but would the extra day off for BW17 be better? would the game in hand vs LA be better?

AJ you got somethings to think about

qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure i understand - i wouldnt be throwing webb on short rest.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Does not getting the opening day start equate to being "treated like garbage"???

Wouldnt Haren feel "treated like garbage" if not given the opening day start after basically carrying the staff last year.

I think you are putting too much weight on the importance of the opening day start. I cant imagine either player being pissed about it at all...

I consider it a slap in the face, so much so that I didn't even imagine there was a question as to who would start.

Who cares what Haren did last year? When Haren carries this team for 5+ years like Webb has prior to last year, then he can complain. If Haren gets injured this year and we lose Webb in the offseason, does that mean Jackson is the opening day starter if he pitches well for one season?

If it's not a big deal, why not just give it to webb?

Why was there an even article discussing it?

Is there any question as to why RJ is throwing out the first pitch for the Mariners instead of the Diamondbacks this year? Good thing we got rid of that worthless clubhouse cancer. We really turned it around without him last year.

A CY, two 2nd place finishes, 47 scoreless innings, REALLY carrying a team to the playoffs in 2007...Haren will be lucky if he can accomplish half as much as Webb has for this team and it's fans.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, its more about THIS year vs Years past. I think the schedule works better for Haren to start. Thats my opinion. I think Webb would be better off against some weaker opponents to start.

If im AJ - i would get them both in the room and talk it out. I think Webb would be 100% on board either way. Either way - someone has to be a team player - and i think both Haren and Webb are that.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
47 scoreless innings

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Not sure i understand - i wouldnt be throwing webb on short rest.

ur r right i miss counted, you counted the off day as a day of rest for him b/c it is the day after his start....

never mind....

but i agree with you 100000000000000% start haren so webb can easy into his season

dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Haren should be given the ball on opening day. He carried the team as their Ace last year after Webb went down, I think he deserves getting the ball on opening day.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just not a fan of this whole "deserves" thing.

One question should matter - who gives us the best chance to win the most games this year.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

One question should matter - who gives us the best chance to win the most games this year.

don't the 1 & 2 starters get the same # of starts?

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterx wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

It all depends really, with 162 games divided by 5, each starter would have 32.4 starts. Now mix in Spot Starters and short rests, and anything could be possible.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterx wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

As shown above - yes - thats probably true - but i would rather have Haren facing LA earlier in April than Webb. If there is some reason why having Webb start first would be better for 2010- than im all for it.
nystro
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
I consider it a slap in the face, so much so that I didn't even imagine there was a question as to who would start.

I also hadn't considered there would be any question as to who would start on opening day... but I was assuming it would be Haren.

But my assumption had nothing to do with pride or who earned/deserved the start. I was strictly thinking about it in terms of planning the ST schedule/workloads for each pitcher.

It's probably safe to assume that Haren will have no problem being 100% ready to take the ball on April 5th. But what level of confidence do we have that Webb will be ready to make a regular season start on April 5?

They can easily put Haren on a typical ST schedule where he gradually increases his pitch count to the point that he's ready to pitch 6+ innings. And the team is probably hoping that Webb's arm will allow them to do the same for him. But I'm sure they will err on the side of caution if there's any doubts. Any little setback in the spring could easily cause Webb to skip a start or not face live hitters as early as anticipated, which could prevent him from being ready on April 5.

Everyone is optimistic in February, but the team doesn't really know how quickly Webb will progress through the month of March. So it's probably easier for the team to prepare guys like Haren and Jackson for the opening series, and then be more tentative with Webb if necessary.

Just my $.02
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
misterx wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

As shown above - yes - thats probably true - but i would rather have Haren facing LA earlier in April than Webb. If there is some reason why having Webb start first would be better for 2010- than im all for it.

x2
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, nystro...
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Well said, nystro...

Yep - i agree - good points.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:

I don't think there's any shame in being second best to Dan Haren.
PHXMLB
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but here is an in-depth look at the back of the Arizona rotation.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: