Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tiger Woods seriously injured in car accident
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Tiger Woods seriously injured in car accident Reply with quote

I haven't seen any stories yet that explain his condition other than "serious".

http://www.sportingnews.com/golf/article/2009-11-27/tiger-woods-injured-florida-car-accident

Sporting News has a little explanation.

Quote:
The Florida Highway Patrol says the PGA star hit a fire hydrant and a tree as he pulled out of his driveway early Friday in his 2009 Cadillac sport utility vehicle.

Woods was taken to Health Central Hospital. His condition was not immediately known, though the news release said his injuries were serious.

The highway patrol says the crash is still under investigation, and charges are pending. However, the highway patrol said the crash was not alcohol-related.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news update:

ESPN.com wrote:
No one else was in the car.

The highway patrol first reported Woods' injuries as serious, though Woods spokesman, Glenn Greenspan, said Friday afternoon that the golfer was treated at the hospital and released in good condition. A statement from the hospital, as well as Greenspan's statement, termed the accident as "minor."

The police report narrative said the "driver had just pulled out of the driveway at his residence ... as [vehicle] began to drive on Deacon Circle, [vehicle] struck a fire hydrant. The front of [vehicle] then struck a tree."

The airbags in the car did not deploy, according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel. The newspaper said airbags typically do not deploy if a vehicle is traveling less than 33 miles per hour.

Woods agent, Mark Steinberg, told USA Today that Woods is fine. Golf World magazine executive editor Ron Sirak said on ESPNEWS that Woods has "facial lacerations."

Mayor Gary Bruhn of Windermere, Fla., where Woods lives, also said that Woods has facial lacerations.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More update:
Doug Ferguson / Associated Press tonight wrote:
Windermere police chief Daniel Saylor told The Associated Press that officers found the 33-year-old PGA star laying in the street with his wife, Elin, hovering over him.

She told officers she was in the house when she heard the accident and "came out and broke the back window with a golf club," he said. "She supposedly got him out and laid him on the ground. He was in and out of consciousness when my guys got there."

He said Woods had lacerations to his upper and lower lips, and blood in his mouth; officers treated Woods for 10 minutes until an ambulance arrived.

Left unanswered was where Woods was going at that hour [2:25 a.m.]. Greenspan and agent Mark Steinberg said there would be no comment beyond the short statement of the accident posted on Woods' Web site.

Saylor said his responding officers did not hear anything about an alleged argument between Woods and his wife.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird story. Weird.

Sleepwalking? Bad reaction to pain killers? weird.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going out for a few practice swings, most likely.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When searching Google News for this story earlier today I also saw a "story" about the outing of Woods' extramarital affair. I'm treating it as bunk so far, but it would be one explanation of why he was leaving the house at that hour. Pure speculation.

TAP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've made as much as Tiger has, 50% is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
When searching Google News for this story earlier today I also saw a "story" about the outing of Woods' extramarital affair. I'm treating it as bunk so far, but it would be one explanation of why he was leaving the house at that hour. Pure speculation.

If I weren't happily married, I wouldn't mind being Mrs. Woods's "rebound guy" Laughing

And if she won't do it, maybe her sister would...

http://showhype.com/story/mrs_tiger_woods_elin_nordgren_has_a_twin_sister/

Embarassed
TAP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim Segal / CNN.com this morning wrote:
Florida highway patrol troopers plan to talk to pro golfer Tiger Woods on Saturday to get more information about his car crash near his home, a spokeswoman said.

State troopers had tried to speak to Woods on Friday as part of a routine car accident investigation, but his wife said he was sleeping, said Kim Miller, a spokeswoman for the Florida highway patrol.

Troopers decided they would return Saturday afternoon, Miller said.

The single-vehicle accident occurred about 2:25 a.m. in Windermere, a suburb of Orlando, according to police.

Woods pulled out of his driveway in a 2009 Cadillac SUV and struck a fire hydrant, then a tree, according to an incident report from the Florida highway patrol in Orange County.

"There was Tiger Woods laying on the ground in front of the vehicle with his wife over him rendering first aid," he told reporters.

"He was in and out of consciousness with lacerations to his upper and lower lip," Saylor said. "He was mumbling but didn't say anything coherent."

Woods' wife, Elin Nordegren, told the police she was inside the house when she heard the accident. She said she went outside and used a golf club to break out the rear window of the vehicle, then pulled him from the SUV.

"According to the officers, yes, she was very upset," he said in response to a question.

But, he added, "Things like this happen all the time ... I understand he's stable and he's fine."

Absolutely - very common. I usually see it at least 3 times a day throughout the week. Laughing
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMZ says Tigers injuries were caused by his wife prior to the accident

Quote:
We're told he said his wife had confronted him about reports that he was seeing another woman. The argument got heated and, according to our source, she scratched his face up. We're told it was then Woods beat a hasty retreat
for his SUV -- but according to our source, Woods says his wife followed behind with a golf club. As Tiger drove away, she struck the vehicle several times with the club.

We're told Woods became "distracted," thought the vehicle was stopped, and looked to see what had happened. At that point the SUV hit the fire hydrant and then hit a tree.

matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make a lot more sense why he was able to run over a fire hydrant and crash into a tree going so slowly.
TAP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy Shipley / The Washington Post tonight wrote:
WINDERMERE, FLA. -- Two Florida Highway Patrol troopers drove to Tiger Woods's $2.4 million estate Saturday afternoon, hoping to ask Woods what caused him to crash his 2009 Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and tree just outside his driveway in the wee hours Friday morning.

But the interview never occurred because a representative for the world-famous golfer called dispatchers while the troopers were en route, saying Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren were unavailable for the interview but could meet Sunday.

It was the second time troopers tried unsuccessfully to speak with Woods, one of the world's richest and most well-known athletes, about the accident that left him briefly unconscious and bleeding from the mouth.

"Maybe somebody needs to call the agent and ask why they weren't available," said Kim Montes, the public affairs officer for the Florida Highway Patrol. "We wanted to give Tiger an opportunity to tell us what happened so we can include it in the crash report. Right now, we don't know why he lost control of his vehicle."

Woods's agent, Mark Steinberg, did not immediately return a request for comment. The interview, Montes said, was rescheduled for Sunday. When troopers sought Woods on Friday night at his residence, they were told he was sleeping. The agents did not attempt to enter the house Saturday, Montes said. She said Woods is not required to speak with investigators. The case remains under investigation, and possible charges are pending, she said.

Do you suppose if this was Oden rather than Tiger Woods that the police would be quite so accommodating?
TAP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel Uchitel denies Tiger Woods affair - first accident photos
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Rachel Uchitel denies Tiger Woods affair - first accident photos

Said alleged mistress:

Quote:
"Despite it being completely untrue, it still must have certainly caused some problems at home - if I was his wife, I probably would have killed him.

In other words, "No, Tiger is not cheating on his wife - but knowing what I know, I would have killed him if I were his wife."

No ma'am, he definitely doesn't sound like a cheating kind of a man. He's lucky he's just a golfer and not a hunter Laughing
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, can you blame Tiger for wanting to go hit that in the middle of the night? He probably took his Big Bertha along too

Laughing Laughing Laughing

levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can follow all the action at TMZ

http://www.tmz.com/

Quote:
During the phone conversation on Friday, Tiger told his friend, "I have to run to Zales to get a 'Kobe Special.'" The person on the other end of the phone asked Tiger what a "Kobe Special" was. The reply -- "A house on a finger."

During the conversation, Tiger said his wife had "gone ghetto" on him.

Ah, the "gone ghetto" maneuver - a powerful gambit in the war chest of all pissed off wives... Laughing
TAP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3rd time, Woods cancels meeting with police
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be fined for each time he cancels. No, he should get 10 days for everytime. Fines would be pocket change to him. seriously. Im tired of celebrities getting prefferential treatment.

If I "canceled" a meeting with the Police, what do you think would happen?
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
He should be fined for each time he cancels. No, he should get 10 days for everytime. Fines would be pocket change to him. seriously. Im tired of celebrities getting prefferential treatment.

If I "canceled" a meeting with the Police, what do you think would happen?

According to a report this morning (from CNN, iirc) on KTAR-FM, Florida law requires only that a driver involved ion an accident provide his or her driverís license information, vehicle registration, and current proof of insurance -- all of which have been provided by Mr. Woods. The police are certainly entitled to ask for more details; but no one in Florida -- including Oden and Justin, if they had been driving there -- is REQUIRED to provide more information.

This isn't to say that potential pressure from the police for more details from those who haven't quite attained the celebrity status of a Tiger Woods wouldn't be more intense or sustained... But certainly even non-celebrities with the intestinal fortitude to give only "name, rank, and serial number" to the police, and to refuse to give any additional information, are entitled to their rights under Florida law.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of these one car crashes on private property are even pursued? I suppose if the neighbor made a complaint about his tree that might be a basis for looking into it, but I would think the police have better things to do.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point EJ, and I'm sure his agent and attorney advised him to do just that. It's a pretty good bet that Tiger's not a huge fan of TMZ anymore.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
How many of these one car crashes on private property are even pursued? I suppose if the neighbor made a complaint about his tree that might be a basis for looking into it, but I would think the police have better things to do.

Police tend to be pretty vigilant when they believe domestic violence is involved as TMZ is reporting regarding Mrs. Woods and Tiger's face.
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
stu wrote:

Police tend to be pretty vigilant when they believe domestic violence is involved as TMZ is reporting regarding Mrs. Woods and Tiger's face.

Even where the man is the victim, both parties say nothing happened and the only evidence is some gossip column?
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
TAP wrote:
stu wrote:

Even where the man is the victim, both parties say nothing happened and the only evidence is some gossip column?

When both sides clam up and the car crash provides good cover for the injuries, it's probably all she wrote unless neighbors come forward. The whole "even where the man is the victim" part is troublesome to me. Should the victim's gender matter?
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not theoretically, but in the real world it does. I think the reasoning is that a man is less likely to be seriously injured (although Mr. Bobbick would disagree). I am sure the police will say they enforce the law equally, but I doubt that this is true in practice.

How much snooping should the police do even in domestic violence cases? If the party is not seriously injured, says nothing happened and to go away shouldn't the police honor this unless they feel some sort of coercion is going on the victim is in danger?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: