Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Official Offseason Dbacks Speculations Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Jdub wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
Well - that means you keep ONE of abreu/Ojeda - not both.

Abreu has options, doesn't he?

I beleive he does.

Yes, he does.
I'd keep one of Ojeda/Abreu and Ryal instead of both Ojeda and Abreu.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Levski. Ryal and Ojeda/Abreu would be the best way to go.
Preferably Ryal and Abreu, as my previous man-love/fandom for Augie is growing thin, and I now see him for what he is: an aging utilityman with a good glove and zero bat.
It might not be the popular thing to do, but it will definitely be the smart thing to do baseball-wise.
And Ryal needs to be there so we don't have the weakest bench in the majors.
A Snyder, Roberts, Parra, Ryal, Abreu bench isn't too shabby.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:

A Snyder, Roberts, Parra, Ryal, Abreu bench isn't too shabby.

The biggest question is if Abreu can (a) show he can play at SS well enough to deserve to be Drew's backup and (b) show he can hit a little too. It's nice the Dbacks have the flexibility to send him to AAA or trade Augie...
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Mets wanted Snyder for free....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/mets-reengaged-on-chris-snyder-no-deal.html

Quote:
The Mets obviously know they are best served with Santos and Josh Thole at Triple-A for depth because they recently re-engaged Arizona about Chris Snyder. But despite public proclamations that they are fine financially, the Mets might have real cash-flow issues — and can’t afford anything else now — since they told the D’backs that Arizona had to eat almost all of Snyder’s $4.75 million 2010 contract or no deal. So no deal.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar Minaya is a freakin' clown. Rolling Eyes
How does he still have a job?
I would feel deeply sorry for Chris Snyder if he gets traded to that trash team.
They have the second highest payroll in baseball and still are awful.
You don't have much leverage in this situation, Omar. Your starting catcher is Omir Santos. OMIR SANTOS!
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Omar Minaya is a freakin' clown. Rolling Eyes
How does he still have a job?
I would feel deeply sorry for Chris Snyder if he gets traded to that trash team.
They have the second highest payroll in baseball and still are awful.
You don't have much leverage in this situation, Omar. Your starting catcher is Omir Santos. OMIR SANTOS!

boy you guys dont know the half of it.... omar is getting killed on the radio!!! mets are a mess!!

and how he has a job is a crazy...

look at his face and listen to what comes out of his mouth.....

EMBARASSMENT TO THE METS 100%

http://web.sny.tv/media/video.jsp?content_id=7151175
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

"Just like anything else... just like anything else... just like anything else...
I'm talking in circles."

Gotta love a GM who identifies his set-up man as "the Japanese guy".
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

"Just like anything else... just like anything else... just like anything else...
I'm talking in circles."

Gotta love a GM who identifies his set-up man as "the Japanese guy".

mr. fred coupon oops... fred wilpon needs to see he is a joke and needs to get ride of him. he is not allowed to do interviews.... there is one from last year where he gave the "humm.. a..naaaahhhh hummm...a...naahhh" for about 20 minutes...

it is comicial

SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Los Mets, some news from KLaw:

KLaw on Twitter wrote:
Mets to lower cf wall by 8 feet. Also reducing distance between bases to 45 ft and allowing batters 7-9 to hit off a tee

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
Speaking of Los Mets, some news from KLaw:

KLaw on Twitter wrote:
Mets to lower cf wall by 8 feet. Also reducing distance between bases to 45 ft and allowing batters 7-9 to hit off a tee

not to turn this into a mets thread, but if you guys are looking to a good laugh log in www.wfan.com and click listen live.... pretty much from 6am-1pm 4 mets fans host (6-10 then 2 new guys 10-1) bash them. then fatcessa kills them all day long. he trys to play it off like he is not but he does! or 631 on direct tv and you can see his fat face.

the callers are the best! some let omar have it... all sad but good stuff...

fwiw 6-10am crew has boomer esiason

TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkdbacks wrote:
Came across this today, I don't think this has been discussed, and it's certainly the first I have heard about it. A tweet from Bob Nightengale:

Quote:
#mlb#reds Slugger Gary Sheffield might be a perfect fit for the Reds. He was on his way to D-backs until LaRoche signed his deal.

More from Bob Nightengale at USA TODAY last night...
Quote:
Gary Sheffield, working out all week with home run king Barry Bonds, left his Florida home Thursday to spend the NBA All-Star weekend in Dallas.

He met his future wife at the same event 12 years ago in New York. Now he hopes the All-Star festivities lead to a job.

Sheffield, 41, is among the free agents with an All-Star pedigree who remain unsigned.

Sheffield, with 509 career homers and 2,689 hits, has been representing himself. He has received offers, he says, but none to his liking. He thought the perfect fit was with the Arizona Diamondbacks, but as the team courted him, Adam LaRoche accepted a $5 million contract, leaving no room for Sheffield.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
nkdbacks wrote:
Came across this today, I don't think this has been discussed, and it's certainly the first I have heard about it. A tweet from Bob Nightengale:

Quote:
#mlb#reds Slugger Gary Sheffield might be a perfect fit for the Reds. He was on his way to D-backs until LaRoche signed his deal.

More from Bob Nightengale at USA TODAY last night...
Quote:
Gary Sheffield, working out all week with home run king Barry Bonds, left his Florida home Thursday to spend the NBA All-Star weekend in Dallas.

He met his future wife at the same event 12 years ago in New York. Now he hopes the All-Star festivities lead to a job.

Sheffield, 41, is among the free agents with an All-Star pedigree who remain unsigned.

Sheffield, with 509 career homers and 2,689 hits, has been representing himself. He has received offers, he says, but none to his liking. He thought the perfect fit was with the Arizona Diamondbacks, but as the team courted him, Adam LaRoche accepted a $5 million contract, leaving no room for Sheffield.

say it aint so bob...... say it aint so

B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting tidbits I ran across at mlbtraderumors.com:

Quote:
• Eduardo Salcedo, an 18-year-old infielder, could be cleared to sign with MLB teams sometime this week. If everything goes through, the D’Backs and Braves will be among the teams interested in signing him. The bidding could reach $2MM for the shortstop-third baseman.

• The D’Backs signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Socrates Abrito for $190K.

B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Some interesting tidbits I ran across at mlbtraderumors.com:

Quote:
• Eduardo Salcedo, an 18-year-old infielder, could be cleared to sign with MLB teams sometime this week. If everything goes through, the D’Backs and Braves will be among the teams interested in signing him. The bidding could reach $2MM for the shortstop-third baseman.

• The D’Backs signed 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Socrates Abrito for $190K.

From 2007:

Quote:
A few weeks ago, after Edward Salcedo burst upon the international scene as the ‘it’ guy, several media outlets reported the 16-year-old Dominican shortstop had signed with the Yankees. Then there were rumors he had signed with the Mariners. But in reality, Salcedo’s agent Scott Boras is still taking offers, and it appears the rumors of Salcedo signing were merely ploys to try to get other clubs to react with higher offers. So far, no one has met Boras’ asking price for Salcedo, rumored to be in the $3.5 million range.
Confused

Link

And this from 2008:

Quote:
What is Edward Salcedo's Status?
Does anyone have any information on the kid besides the few details Boras has let out?

Dominican: 16, 6'3, 190, ++Power, +AVG, ++Arm, +Speed, +Glove

He was alledged to have been signed by Cleveland (for $2.9M), but then there were rumors that is not true and the Yankees signed him. Anyone have any real credible information?
Confused

Link
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 baseball wise men vote the Dbacks as most improved NL team this offseason over at ESPN:

Quote:
But if you're looking for a dark horse, how about the Diamondbacks? Toss Edwin Jackson into a rotation with Dan Haren and a healthy Brandon Webb, and there might be no team in the league that can top that 1-2-3 array. Adam LaRoche, at $6 million for one year in that ballpark, could be a great signing. And Kelly Johnson, Bobby Howry, Ian Kennedy and Aaron Heilman provide useful inventory, if nothing else. Nobody is going to pick this team over the Rockies, Dodgers or Giants. But the D-backs sure did get a lot of votes in this survey.
Rolling Eyes

The Dodgers were voted the least improved NL team.

Link to Stark's article
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
20 baseball wise men vote the Dbacks as most improved NL team this offseason over at ESPN:

Quote:
But if you're looking for a dark horse, how about the Diamondbacks? Toss Edwin Jackson into a rotation with Dan Haren and a healthy Brandon Webb, and there might be no team in the league that can top that 1-2-3 array. Adam LaRoche, at $6 million for one year in that ballpark, could be a great signing. And Kelly Johnson, Bobby Howry, Ian Kennedy and Aaron Heilman provide useful inventory, if nothing else. Nobody is going to pick this team over the Rockies, Dodgers or Giants. But the D-backs sure did get a lot of votes in this survey.
Rolling Eyes

Link to Stark's article

but of those 20, no more than four voted for them
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:

Quote:
Rolling Eyes

Link to Stark's article

but of those 20, no more than four voted for them

Well, they are wise men. Confused
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're coming from a godawful season, you've got a lot of room for improvement.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Quote:

He's been brought in to perfect the Socratic farm system.
A heralded expert in NL Western philosophy.
If he injures himself, do we have a Socratic problem?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:
Quote:

If he injures himself, do we have a Socratic problem?

Only if you have him evaluated by the Mets medical staff.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski on Sun Dec 27, 2009 wrote:
Nick Johnson can make about $14.5m over 2 years if the Yanks pick up his option next year. And he gets to go to the defending champs and the team that drafted him. I don't think the dbacks stood a chance unless they offered him a Flipperian contract.

The Dbacks correctly decided they needed bullpen help, but how much does it help to add Heilman and Howry? Both have sucked in high leverage situations over the last few years, and the Dbacks bullpen was already bad in those last year. How many leads to the Dbacks project to have so Heilman and Howry can blow? I wonder how much stock the Dbacks put into the fact that Horrory is a local kid, and ignore the fact that Lou in Chi and then Bochy in SF wouldn't put Horrory in a meaningful game and situation? Seriously, only Giants fans should be thrilled by the prospect of seeing Horrory come in with a lead in the late innings.

Other thing is, who gets bumped off to AAA now? You have Qualls, Horrory, Heilman, Guttenberg, Boyer, Rosales, Vasquez, Zavada (am I forgetting someone?) so now one of Vasquez and Zavada would need to be sent down (only they have optins still). Won't be surprised if Zavada gets the short end of the stick. Of course, who knows if Qualls will be fully healthy to start the season.

The H+H gas can explosion has caught me by complete surprise...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski on Tue Dec 29, 2009 wrote:
Some Horrory trends your parents don't want you to know about

K/9 and xFIP trends over the last 4 years

Year, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
K/9, 8.33, 7.97, 7.51, 6.50
xFIP, 3.79, 4.16, 4.24, 4.95

I think I've seen this before

While we're at it...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I bump this? Yes I can! [Yeah, I think so.]
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an effective pen, this team would be in 1st place. What a punch to the gut to watch them blow winnable games night after night after night after night...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears Horrory blew another lead. It appears the answer to my question: How many leads to the Dbacks project to have so Heilman and Howry can blow? is "A hell of a lot"...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 40 of 41

Jump to: