Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck
 
 Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
P90x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Are you keeping up with the diet programs? I've read through the nutrition guide and I'm surprised by the amount of calories it says I should eat. I weigh 205 and that puts me at the 3000 calorie/day diet. I decided that since being at 198 brings you down to the level 2 diet I'd go with that. It is still a lot of calories.

My son-in-law, who was already in incredible shape before he started this program, dropped about 20 lbs almost instantly. I'm sure the high calorie recommendation is to support the huge amount of calorie burnoff from the exercise program.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to try the Insanity workout. I have ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. I decided on Insanity because it appears a bit more cardio based than p90x, and I don't want the program to interfere with my normal weight training (I know it will, but hopefully a little less than it appears to me that p90x would).

I am starting out in pretty good shape, so I am hoping this program, along with following the diet guidelines, will give me a fun challenge and help me kick up a notch.

It will be interesting to see how it differs from p90x. I will post some details as it goes along. I am expecting it to totally kill me. lol

Unlike Matt, my goals are purely aesthetic. I don't care if I feel like total crap as long as I am shredded when the program is over. Very Happy

And to back up what TAP is saying, when you exercise like these programs require, you can eat tremendous calorie loads and still lose weight. You have to be careful not to under eat, or you will destroy your muscle mass quickly. It can be surprising how much food is required to keep the strength up.
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread'll work... Shocked Laughing

Dating site for beautiful people expels 'fatties' after holiday weight gain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3: Shoulders and Arms plus ABRipperX

I was only able to make it through the shoulders and arms in the morning, the kids needed extra attention this morning and I ran out of time (I figured it would have been a bad idea to skip breakfast and showering in lieu of finishing the abs program). Therefore, I have to do the abripper tonight after work.

Sore as hell after the first two days. I spent most of yesterday really hungry and really tired. I've portioned out my meals pretty well and I'm completely full after each one but it still is a less than what the plan says I should be eating. Luckily I was doing field work and was able to go home after just over a half day. It really sucked having to climb nearly a 30 foot 1:1 slope three or four times with tired legs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Day 3: Shoulders and Arms plus ABRipperX

I was only able to make it through the shoulders and arms in the morning, the kids needed extra attention this morning and I ran out of time (I figured it would have been a bad idea to skip breakfast and showering in lieu of finishing the abs program). Therefore, I have to do the abripper tonight after work.

Sore as hell after the first two days. I spent most of yesterday really hungry and really tired. I've portioned out my meals pretty well and I'm completely full after each one but it still is a less than what the plan says I should be eating. Luckily I was doing field work and was able to go home after just over a half day. It really sucked having to climb nearly a 30 foot 1:1 slope three or four times with tired legs.


I tend to separate my main workout from ab ripper as well. I fee like if I workout, eat some food, then do abs after I put the kids to bed (and eat again), I have more energy than if I go right in to the ab routine.

Arms and Shoulders is fun, probably the easiest of the lifting workouts.

Just wait till you do legs and back. Shocked
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 2251
Location: Colorado Springs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
matt wrote:
Day 3: Shoulders and Arms plus ABRipperX

I was only able to make it through the shoulders and arms in the morning, the kids needed extra attention this morning and I ran out of time (I figured it would have been a bad idea to skip breakfast and showering in lieu of finishing the abs program). Therefore, I have to do the abripper tonight after work.

Sore as hell after the first two days. I spent most of yesterday really hungry and really tired. I've portioned out my meals pretty well and I'm completely full after each one but it still is a less than what the plan says I should be eating. Luckily I was doing field work and was able to go home after just over a half day. It really sucked having to climb nearly a 30 foot 1:1 slope three or four times with tired legs.


I tend to separate my main workout from ab ripper as well. I fee like if I workout, eat some food, then do abs after I put the kids to bed (and eat again), I have more energy than if I go right in to the ab routine.

Arms and Shoulders is fun, probably the easiest of the lifting workouts.

Just wait till you do legs and back. Shocked



When I first started I was doing ABripper right after my workouts and b/c of this my AB workout sucked. I never got through it. So, I started doing my AB workout first and then doing the rest of the workout. That worked much better for me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 1 complete!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Smile
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I started the Insanity workout. I took the fitness test, which took only 20 minutes or so. Basically, the fitness test appears to be designed to humiliate you by having you compare your results to the impossibly fit trainers doing the work on screen. The fitness test is done every two weeks, and the program runs six days per week with Sundays as rest days. The total program duration is 63 days. The second month is apparently much harder than the first, and there is a transition week between the first and second month.

The fitness test is a series of eight plyometric exercises that test various strength modalities throughout the body. There are no weights involved. All of the resistance is provided by your own body. Each test lasted one minute, and then there was a 45 second rest period until the next exercise started. There is a warmup and cool-down stretch as well.

I managed to finish everything, but needless to say, I probably was lucky to do half as many reps as the on-screen exemplars. I had to stop here and there during a couple of tests because I wimped out and couldn't take the burn. Very Happy I am not as sore as I would have expected, but my legs are somewhat burned out.

According to my watch, my average heart rate was 155, and the calories burned was about 290. Not as severe as I had expected, but perhaps my conditioning kept me from working as hard as I would have liked. I didn't record the warm up or the cooldown.

I also started the Insanity diet about 5 days ago. I suspect it is similar to what is recommended by P90X in that it focuses on proper balance of fat, carbs and protein, elmination of processed sugar and frequent consumption of small meals. The guide put me at only 2750 calories per day to maintain weight, and I suspect that is going to be low (43 yrs old, 6'2, 182 lbs). I will see what happens to my weight after week 1.
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us updated. I decided Insanity probably wasn't for me, since it seems more tailored toward losing fat, and I didn't want to lose the strength I have gained in P90x. However I am still intrigued by the intensity of the program and would like to know what kind of results you get.
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've completed two weeks. No changes to overall weight yet but I feel better and I swear I can see some results. I never did get around to taking any pictures though....

I did the first two weeks of Legs and Back without a pull up bar. Instead of pullups I substituted some other exercises. I'm going to consider the first two weeks as a training run and restart from Day 1 today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
Please keep us updated. I decided Insanity probably wasn't for me, since it seems more tailored toward losing fat, and I didn't want to lose the strength I have gained in P90x. However I am still intrigued by the intensity of the program and would like to know what kind of results you get.


I will. I have seen some people online describing a p90x/Insanity hybrid that they have developed to take advantage of what I guess is a more intense cardio environment in Insanity while still utilizing the strength training programs of p90x. That might be an option for you, if the Insanity program is something you are at all interested in.
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 2251
Location: Colorado Springs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I've completed two weeks. No changes to overall weight yet but I feel better and I swear I can see some results. I never did get around to taking any pictures though....

I did the first two weeks of Legs and Back without a pull up bar. Instead of pullups I substituted some other exercises. I'm going to consider the first two weeks as a training run and restart from Day 1 today.


Before pics are nice to have to look back on. But I do suggest you do the measurements so you can see the difference. When you start putting on muscle your weight will deceive you and you will think you aren't making progress when you are gaining muscle weight and losing fat at the same time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week one of insanity in the books. I have now done all month one dvds once except abs, which doesn't appear for a couple of more weeks. I have done one of the programs twice.

The first time through, while hard, didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. I felt like I was mostly keeping up, and my overall heart rate was not as high as I had hoped. When I repeated the program yesterday, I found it much more challenging. I think what happened is that the second time through, I didn't have to rest as much, and my intensity was much better--both because I was more familiar with what we were doing and also because I probably gained a little conditioning this week. At any rate, yesterday I was pretty much dead at the end, and I still have a lot of improvement to go in a couple of sections. Thus, I think insanity works well for high intensity cardio.

The program is a mixture of interval training, stretching, and pure cardio. Two of the days are more interval training, while one of the days is pure cardio. Every Thursday is a recovery workout, which is much slower and much more focused on stretching and giving the burn to whatever muscle he is torturing. Sundays are off days.

I will photograph and weight tomorrow to see if there have been any visialbe changes or reductions in weight. The next fitness test is still one week off, but I suspect that will show some improvement, since I definitely improved on some of the exercises from the beginning to the end of the week.

I have been following the diet pretty closely, which is amazing for me. Other than one slice of birthday cake at a family birthday party, I kept away from processed sugar all week and ate a majority of my foods from the "approved" groups. My macro nutrition was pretty close fo goal as well--by that I mean total calories and split of carb, protein and fat.

For the week, I burned about 300 calories in the fitness test, 600 calories on day 2 with an avg. hr of 150, 515 on day 3 with an avg. heartrate of about 140, 200 on day four with an avg. heartrate of 118, 550 on day 5 with an average hr of 145, and 650 on day 6 with an avg. hr of 155.

Scale says I lost 2.5 pounds in the first week eating 2750 calories per day. I don't really think I look like I lost that much week, so I want to go one more week and see what it looks like before adjusting my diet.
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have now finished two weeks of Insanity. I took a fit test tonight for the first time since I started. I improved at least 20% on all of the exercises measured in the fit test, and I doubled a couple of them (can't remember why I sucked so bad in the initial fit test). I have lost about 1/2" off my waist and perhaps three pounds.

The program continues to be tough, and I have yet to keep up with the entirety of any program, but I seem to be getting some benefit out of it. Oh yeah, my diet has been very strict since I started, which I'm sure has a lot to do with the decreasing waist size, too.
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After restarting the program two weeks in, I'm in my recovery week (finally). I'm feeling results and I think I can see a difference in several areas already. I can't tell if I've had much weight loss because when I weighed myself at the start I was at 210 but it was in the afternoon with full clothes on. Today I was at 201 before I got in the shower.

Legs and back destroy me each time, but I have improved. I did half of the one leg wall squats. The day after each L&B workout I've been extremely sore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting week 4 of Insanity today...
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
After restarting the program two weeks in, I'm in my recovery week (finally). I'm feeling results and I think I can see a difference in several areas already. I can't tell if I've had much weight loss because when I weighed myself at the start I was at 210 but it was in the afternoon with full clothes on. Today I was at 201 before I got in the shower.

Legs and back destroy me each time, but I have improved. I did half of the one leg wall squats. The day after each L&B workout I've been extremely sore.


L&B is hell. In a way it's almost worse than plyo, but they're neck-in-neck for sure. I got to the point where I could do both wall squats all the way through (depending on the day and the position of my feet relative to the wall, maybe needed a 2-3 second break in the middle). At first I sucked at them, so you will get better.

The worst is when you're supposed to do step back lunges and side lunges back-to-back. ugh...

Hang in there!
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 10330
Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my annual physical this week!!!!!!!!

YIKES!!!

well lets say i have gained 10 lbs per year over the last 2 years.......

NOT A CHANCE I GAIN 10 LBS IN 2010!!! GOT TO GET MY TUBBY ASS MOVING


so im think of using this, sounds like it works..... we will see
_________________
win the series make the playoffs
series record to date 11-19-3
april 11-12 | may 9-20 | june 11-16
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
got my annual physical this week!!!!!!!!

YIKES!!!

well lets say i have gained 10 lbs per year over the last 2 years.......

NOT A CHANCE I GAIN 10 LBS IN 2010!!! GOT TO GET MY TUBBY ASS MOVING


so im think of using this, sounds like it works..... we will see


It works. Like anything, it's all about what you put into it.
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys know that one of the guys in the Plyo workout is Erik Stolhanske (Super Troopers) and that he has a prosthetic leg?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Did you guys know that one of the guys in the Plyo workout is Erik Stolhanske (Super Troopers) and that he has a prosthetic leg?


I knew he had a prosthetic but I haven't seen Super Troopers, didn't know he was an actor. Cool.
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hank
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 1569
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an anecdote that makes me feel good about the whole Insanity thing. I am finishing up week 4, and I have lost maybe 2 or 3 pounds, but my waist has gone down enough that I am using loops on belts I have never before used. Still, I didn't really think I looked a lot different.

I had lunch today with a woman I had not seen in a couple of months, and as I approached, she gasped and said, "OMG, it's working. Your waist is so thin." So Insanity plus really strict diet appears to be having a positive effect!
_________________
2010 Gameday Thread Record: 1-0
2010 In Stadium Record: 4-5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome Hank. I've lost less than 10 lbs also but I can really see changes everywhere.

So I'm feeling great, stronger, energetic and I did Chest, Shoulders & Triceps today and it made me feel so weak. The exercises with weights were fine, I used less weight than I could have since it was my first time but all those push ups kill me.

Tony's plyo push up, are you freaking kidding me?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence


Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 1181

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
That's awesome Hank. I've lost less than 10 lbs also but I can really see changes everywhere.

So I'm feeling great, stronger, energetic and I did Chest, Shoulders & Triceps today and it made me feel so weak. The exercises with weights were fine, I used less weight than I could have since it was my first time but all those push ups kill me.

Tony's plyo push up, are you freaking kidding me?


Congrats on making it to Phase 2! Smile

Yeah, Tony's complete airborne plyo pushup is just off the hizzy. I have no idea how he maintains that level of energy thoughout the workout.

I finished a few weeks ago but haven' t gotten around to posting my final pictures (photobucket is a pain). Will do it soon.
_________________
"Mr. President...while I am impressed with your Renaissance Man-level of knowledge in a plethora of subjects, may I humbly say: That’s great. Just fix the economy!”
- Jon Stewart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



visitors since April 13, 2006.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group