Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
P90x
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: P90x Reply with quote

So...I started last night (only the non-weight training sections for now, until my gear comes in from ebay; still going to the gym on lifting days). Did the plyometrics last night. Holy mother....that is one crazy fit 45 year old dude. I should clarify - I did half of the plyometrics routine and stopped because I felt like I might drop dead in my living room.

Looking forward to 3 months of it. Confused
DouXer4ouR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have p90x and it is pretty intense, it keeps you ripped tho, but watch out for the yoga if your doing that, that is painful beyond belief. Good work outs tho.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey XJ! So you did PLYO for the first time huh? Prepare to be able to do nothing without pain for the next 3 weeks! But stick with it...it's very rewarding! Good luck!
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah, plyo sucked hard. My buddy that turned me on to it was in the AF and he said P90x is the hardest thing he's done since Basic Training, and it's pretty close. After doing plyo I don't doubt it.

Did Yoga last night and although it wasn't near as hard as plyo, those warrior poses bring fire upon the quads.

Thanks for the encouragement! In January I'll post my before and after pics.

Last edited by xjwheelr on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son-in-law, who spent 5 years in the Marine Corps, started the P90x workouts earlier this year and swears by them. He says the muscle confusion from the varied workouts is the key.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey XJ...im on week 2. We will finish within a week from each other. This is my 2nd try....i broke my back in week 5 last time (not p90x related).
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Hey XJ...im on week 2. We will finish within a week from each other. This is my 2nd try....i broke my back in week 5 last time (not p90x related).

ouch!

Actually, I am not counting this week as week 1, because I have not yet received my pull-up bar and bands from ebay and am kind of doing a hybrid workout. Hopefully my stuff will arrive early next week and that will start the clock.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

ouch!

Actually, I am not counting this week as week 1, because I have not yet received my pull-up bar and bands from ebay and am kind of doing a hybrid workout. Hopefully my stuff will arrive early next week and that will start the clock.

That's actually a good plan. I learned from the first time that I needed a week 0 to just kind of get my body ready. I did week "0" at about 65% so it wouldn't be as bad as a shock to my body. I was still very sore tho for week 1.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your interested...or need motivation. Go to youtube and search for p90x results. Razz
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
If your interested...or need motivation. Go to youtube and search for p90x results. Razz

Will do.
I have heard it is expensive and I am afraid to see the cost.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Will do.

Hey Prosopis....it's not very expensive. It's $120 on the beachbody web site and you'll be able to get by with a cheap pullup bar and some bands. Or you can spend more money and get some dumbbells. Also, check out craigslist...you can find a lot of P90X stuff on there for much cheaper.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ...you are about a week into it...how is it going?
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Prosopis wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Will do.

Hey Prosopis....it's not very expensive. It's $120 on the beachbody web site and you'll be able to get by with a cheap pullup bar and some bands. Or you can spend more money and get some dumbbells. Also, check out craigslist...you can find a lot of P90X stuff on there for much cheaper.

Thanks I will look into it.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
XJ...you are about a week into it...how is it going?

Going pretty well. I decided I am going to add a week to Phase I mainly because I feel like this first week was a little shaky. Overall though I am pleased with the willpower I have had.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, phase 1 is over (30 days). I had good results. I figured I would share since there were a couple people interested in the program.

*185lbs to 169lbs.
-3" off the beer gut.
-3% body fat.
-1.5" off hips
+1/8" to both arms.
+1" to left thigh.
+1/2" to right thigh (thighs measure the same now).

I expect some time during phase 2 or 3 the weight will start going up b/c at some point soon I won't have any more fat to lose.

The diet is still a challenge. Not that i'm cheating...im eating the right foods. I'm just not eating enough yet. I am doing much better though. My appetite has increased more and more every week due to the physical activity. Need to eat more to build the muscle faster!
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go DBHP! Got an update?

I just started Phase 3 and I gotta say, the difference between my day 30 and Day 60 pics are night and day compared to Day 30 and Day zero. Phase 2 is where the fat loss really kicked in. I will post my Day zero, D30 and D60 pics if I can remember when I get home. Then in 5 weeks I'll upload my 90 day (final) pics.

So far I've lost about 11-12 pounds and close to 2 inches off my waist. Unfortunately I didn't take any measurements when I started so I'm just estimating the inches based on the way my jeans fit. The 12 pounds sounds a little underwhelming, but I only weight 150 (now), so it's all relative. The love handles are almost gone, and I'm starting to see some abs (in the right light, humidity, and lunar position Wink ).

My pullups are getting much better too. The first time I saw a corncob pullup I thought, "Shocked you want me to do what?"

Plyo still kicks my arse.
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great XJ!

I've been off the program since Thanksgiving. I decided to separate from the Air Force and have dedicated all my time to job hunting. I statred terminal leave on Monday and started my new job yesterday....so, on Monday im going to hit the X again. It's addicting after seeing all the results so I can't wait to get started again.
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised...

Day 0:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Day 60:

Pic 1

Pic 2

And no...P90x does not make your chest hair fall out; I shaved Smile Cool
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont let Jillian see those pics Laughing
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the lean program today, doing the core synergistics. Pretty tough workout. CardioX tomorrow! I feel great right now.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
I started the lean program today, doing the core synergistics. Pretty tough workout. CardioX tomorrow! I feel great right now.

For the Classic program, Core Synergistics is part of the "recovery" weeks. I actually find that workout to be pretty demanding aerobically, probably 2nd only to plyo. The thing where you act like you're lunging to pick up a weight and then put it on a shelf really gets the blood pounding.

I have not done Cardio X because Plyo is used in its place in the Classic. I think it is a mixture of Kenpo, Plyo, and other stuff though.

Good luck! Be sure to take some before pics (don't need to share them, just for yourself). I'm so glad I did, just to see the progress.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjwheelr wrote:
matt wrote:

For the Classic program, Core Synergistics is part of the "recovery" weeks. I actually find that workout to be pretty demanding aerobically, probably 2nd only to plyo. The thing where you act like you're lunging to pick up a weight and then put it on a shelf really gets the blood pounding.

I have not done Cardio X because Plyo is used in its place in the Classic. I think it is a mixture of Kenpo, Plyo, and other stuff though.

Good luck! Be sure to take some before pics (don't need to share them, just for yourself). I'm so glad I did, just to see the progress.

I'm one out of shape MF''r so by that time I was pretty burnt. I kept with every exercise though, even if I had to go slow or do things to make it easier. My primary goal is to feel in shape again. Appearances, although a nice benefit are secondary to me.

Are you keeping up with the diet programs? I've read through the nutrition guide and I'm surprised by the amount of calories it says I should eat. I weigh 205 and that puts me at the 3000 calorie/day diet. I decided that since being at 198 brings you down to the level 2 diet I'd go with that. It is still a lot of calories.

I'm planning on using the nutrition plan as a general guide and make my way through it do develop something that works for me. I don't think I'll take as much dairy as it recommends but I'll try. I do pretty well on veggies already and I'll definitely increase my fruit intake. It isn't all that different than what I currently eat (hence me weighing 200 lbs). The main things I see are spreading meals out (I've usually only eaten lunch and dinner), lowering the amount of carbs, using less fats, and cutting out the crap I snack on (which I've been in the process of recently anyways).

I got a 40lb adjustable dumbbell set for $20. It has 4x 5lb and 4 x 7.5 lb. Therefore you can get 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 lb dumbbells (although some combinations only allow you to have one instead of both). I won't be able to get the pull up bar till later in the month so I'll have to substitute something else when those come up.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Prosopis wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:

Will do.

The place where they will get you is if you start buying the supplements, bars, protein powders, or buy workout gear through them at a premium price.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
xjwheelr wrote:
matt wrote:

I'm one out of shape MF''r so by that time I was pretty burnt. I kept with every exercise though, even if I had to go slow or do things to make it easier. My primary goal is to feel in shape again. Appearances, although a nice benefit are secondary to me.

Are you keeping up with the diet programs? I've read through the nutrition guide and I'm surprised by the amount of calories it says I should eat. I weigh 205 and that puts me at the 3000 calorie/day diet. I decided that since being at 198 brings you down to the level 2 diet I'd go with that. It is still a lot of calories.

I'm planning on using the nutrition plan as a general guide and make my way through it do develop something that works for me. I don't think I'll take as much dairy as it recommends but I'll try. I do pretty well on veggies already and I'll definitely increase my fruit intake. It isn't all that different than what I currently eat (hence me weighing 200 lbs). The main things I see are spreading meals out (I've usually only eaten lunch and dinner), lowering the amount of carbs, using less fats, and cutting out the crap I snack on (which I've been in the process of recently anyways).

I got a 40lb adjustable dumbbell set for $20. It has 4x 5lb and 4 x 7.5 lb. Therefore you can get 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 lb dumbbells (although some combinations only allow you to have one instead of both). I won't be able to get the pull up bar till later in the month so I'll have to substitute something else when those come up.

I have followed the basic guidelines, and used the calorie equation as a starting point. However, like you, I ended up taking in less calories than it suggested after you add on the extra 600 or whatever it is to account for what you burn during the workouts. I was around 1500-1700 a day during Phases 1 and 2, but I only weighed about 160 when I started. Now that I've started Phase 3, I have noticed that I am more hungry and am taking in closer to 2000 calories a day. Hopefully this means that my body is starting to build more muscle.

Basically, in Phase 1 I tried to keep the carbs very low, proteins high. 3000 calories might be ok for you if you follow this principle, because it will keep your blood sugar from spiking, which in turn causes high insulin levels and fat storage. I would *definitely* eat breakfast, and actually shoot for 5-6 meals a day. That's honestly the biggest thing, other than watching how many bad cards you eat, that helps in keeping the fat off.

The carb intake in Phase 3 is crazy high, and is meant to help build muscle faster. However I still have fat I'd like to lose so I am sticking with more of a Phase 2 eating style (moderate balance of carbs and protein).

Best advice I can give on the workouts: don't be afraid to hit pause. I still do - a lot. Especially on the strength training days, because otherwise it becomes more of a cardio circuit and you end up sacrificing strength gains.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: