Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
D-backs 2010 Top 10 Prospects
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
19braves77
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: D-backs 2010 Top 10 Prospects Reply with quote

Can't see BA's being much different:

1) Jarrod Parker
2) Brandon Allen
3) Daniel Schlereth
4) Bobby Borchering
5) Matt Davidson
6) A.J. Pollock
7) Chris Owings
8 ) Marc Krauss
9) Ryan Wheeler
10) Bryan Augenstein
Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give this thread a bump since i'm working on a top 30 prospect list. I rank hitters and pitchers separately, so i have a list of 15 hitters and 15 pitchers. Here's what my list for the hitters looks like right now:

1.Brandon Allen
2. Cole Gillespie
3. Bobby borchering
4. Ryan Wheeler
5. AJ Pollock
6.Marc Krauss
7.Pedro Ciriaco
8. Chris Owings
9. Collin Cowgill
10. Paul Goldschmidt
11. David Nick
12. Ollie Linton
13. Taylor Harbin
14. Matt Davidson
15. keon Broxton
Just outside the top 15/30 prospects 16. Matt Helm, 17. Rossmell Perez, 18. Reynaldo Navarro, 19. Mark Hallberg)

Does that list make sense? I could really use some help with the rankings.
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you arrived at that list or those rankings. What citeria did you use?

Hallberg had a terrible season and at least 2 or 3 Baybears out performed him in every category. Ciriaco did ok but Chris Rahl out hit him in several important categories including slg%, obp, and ops! Rahl in fact led the team in slugging and showed superior defense with only 1 error all season long.
Navarro, Perez, and Harbin all had lackluster seasons in lower level leagues. Linton had an average season at the plate in the best hitters league. Many D'back prospects have hit much higher and with more power while in the Cal league.

At the top of your list Gillespie deserves the 2 spot and maybe the 1st based on a great year at Reno! Allen also had a great year at Reno but struggled at the major league level and bombed in the AFL. Ciriaco also did not shine in the AFL.

Hard to evaluate Cowgil due to self inflicted injury and Helm played in very few games.

To recap Rahl should be on the list. Halberg Navarro, and Perez are so-so. Ciriaco is a little too high and Allen is suspect after leaving the Coors lite atmosphere of Reno. Gillespie would be my #1 right now.
Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a combination of stats, scouting reports, draft position(in borchering's case)... basically my criteria is the whole picture... Honestly i'm not the high on ciriaco, and i was thinking hallberg should be ranked higher. I've heard ciriaco plays great defense, and is starting to pick it up with the glove. He's probably the backup plan for SS or 2nd if there's a major injury. Rossmel and Reynaldo are pretty much honorable mentions due to their age and tools. Cole would be higher on my list if he was younger.

Rahl I'm not too high on.. he seemed to have petered out in AA there for a while... if I had him on my list of hitters, he would be in the honorable mention section, not top 20
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks watcher wrote:
Not sure how you arrived at that list or those rankings. What citeria did you use?

Hallberg had a terrible season and at least 2 or 3 Baybears out performed him in every category. Ciriaco did ok but Chris Rahl out hit him in several important categories including slg%, obp, and ops! Rahl in fact led the team in slugging and showed superior defense with only 1 error all season long.
Navarro, Perez, and Harbin all had lackluster seasons in lower level leagues. Linton had an average season at the plate in the best hitters league. Many D'back prospects have hit much higher and with more power while in the Cal league.

At the top of your list Gillespie deserves the 2 spot and maybe the 1st based on a great year at Reno! Allen also had a great year at Reno but struggled at the major league level and bombed in the AFL. Ciriaco also did not shine in the AFL.

Hard to evaluate Cowgil due to self inflicted injury and Helm played in very few games.

To recap Rahl should be on the list. Halberg Navarro, and Perez are so-so. Ciriaco is a little too high and Allen is suspect after leaving the Coors lite atmosphere of Reno. Gillespie would be my #1 right now.

Rahl played mainly right field (31 games in cf). It was his third year in the league (stunk in 2008). His 275/333/407 is not even close to being adequate for a corner outfielder (except maybe for JB who seems to relish a lack of power at the corners).

Admittedly, it is a tough league for hitters (770 lead the league for team OPS), but Rahl has not shown much (if anything at the plate--another Cape Cod draft pick?). At 25, I can see leaving him off prospect lists although our list is pretty sad.

Ciriaco has a great defensive rep. He was chosen by Baseball America as either the best defensive player or best defensive ss by Baseball America. He can't hit his way out of a wet paper bag, but if he could just draw some walks, he might be useful.

He has some speed and a good glove. However, as Mr. Rickey used to say, "shake a tree and a dozen speedy shortstops with good gloves fall out".
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahl should have been the everyday cf except for the force feeding of Evan Frey. Rahl is a better cf and hitter than Frey.
The former manager of the Baybears hit Rahl 8th the last month and a half of the season despite his leading the team in slugging. not much protection hitting in front of the pitcher. Check out minorleaguesplits.com to see how Rahl hit when they batted him 3rd (the same time that Mobile reeled off a winning streak)!
Rahl also was above .300 before being hit in the left wrist at Carolina in May and then played thru the injury due to roster problems.

The point is the list is weak but players should not be put on just based on reputation. The numbers must mean something when used to compare prospects. The Southern League is definately a tougher place to hit in than the Cal League and players who have so-so numbers in the Cal League will not do well at higher levels. Also players change from year to year. Some bad years are needed to affect change. Hallberg, Frey and Hankard struggled more tha Rahl and Ciriaco last year in AA. Linton only did average in a good Hitters league in High A. Those players in AA all excelled in High A not just did average.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge L. Ortiz / USA TODAY this morning wrote:
DIAMONDBACKS PROSPECT REPORT

RHP Jarrod Parker: The ninth pick in the 2007 draft had been so impressive in his two seasons in the minors with 212 strikeouts in 215 innings he was going to get a look as a rotation candidate in the spring. That was before Tommy John elbow surgery derailed those plans. His rehab is proceeding apace and Parker, 21, is still considered a future ace.

LHP Daniel Schlereth: Groomed as a late-inning reliever, Schlereth, 23, posted a 1.13 ERA and struck out 60 in 39⅔ minor league innings over parts of two seasons before getting called up. He needs to improve his command (15 walks, 5.89 ERA in 18⅓ innings with the D'backs), but he did strike out 22.

3B Bobby Borchering: The switch-hitting third baseman, taken with the 16th overall pick in the 2009 draft, is already drawing comparisons to Chipper Jones, which director of player development Mike Berger does not discourage. Borchering, 19, hit well in the Pioneer League playoffs and will probably start next year at low-A South Bend (Ind.).

1B Ryan Wheeler: Berger calls him "the most advanced hitter in our organization." Wheeler, 21, was picked in the fifth round of the 2009 draft and, despite playing in only 72 games, was named the organization's Minor League Player of the Year after batting .361 with a .462 on-base percentage and 41 RBI.

OF Keon Broxton: Berger raves about Broxton, 19, and his maturity. "He's got power and a feel for hitting the other way that's very advanced for his age," Berger says.
Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that TAP. I love hearing that Berger is as high on Broxton as I am.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball America has released its Top 10 Prospect lists for the NL West. Here's a look at the D-backs:

1. Jarrod Parker, RHP
2. Bobby Borchering, 3B
3. A.J. Pollock, OF
4. Brandon Allen, 1B
5. Daniel Schlereth, LHP
6. Chris Owings, SS
7. Mike Belfiore, LHP
8. Marc Krauss, OF
9. Ryan Wheeler, 1B
10. Collin Cowgill, OF

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, BA is more about upside. They will value a high A player who they think has potential to be a starter higher than a more polished and ready AAA player who they project as a backup.
19braves77
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody think these 2010 opening day assignments are accurate enough:

1. Jarrod Parker- Rehab in Arizona
2. Bobby Borchering- Sound Ben
3. A.J. Pollock- Mobile
4. Brandon Allen- Ari or Reno
5. Daniel Schlereth- Ari or Reno
6. Chris Owings- South Bend
7. Mike Belfiore- Visilia
8. Marc Krauss- Visilia
9. Ryan Wheeler- Mobile
10. Collin Cowgill- Mobile
Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems about right. Wheeler will probably start in High A though, but will definitely end up in mobile by the end of the year.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW no love for my guy Hallberg. While he did get off to a slow start last year he did heat up for the second half.

Dont give up on him yet. Wink
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Wheeler starts at Mobile. Visalia, with an a, is more likely IMO.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
WOW no love for my guy Hallberg. While he did get off to a slow start last year he did heat up for the second half.

Dont give up on him yet. Wink

I hate to be pessimistic, but a 3b/2b who hit 283/357/368!! in the Cal league and worse last year is not much of a prospect.

The good news is that his OBP was higher than his slugging last year. The bad news is his OBP was 325. (257/325/323)
jdeverehill
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19braves77 wrote:
Anybody think these 2010 opening day assignments are accurate enough:

1. Jarrod Parker- Rehab in Arizona
2. Bobby Borchering- Sound Ben
3. A.J. Pollock- Mobile
4. Brandon Allen- Ari or Reno
5. Daniel Schlereth- DETROIT
6. Chris Owings- South Bend
7. Mike Belfiore- Visilia
8. Marc Krauss- Visilia
9. Ryan Wheeler- Mobile
10. Collin Cowgill- Mobile

Fixed that for ya. Crying or Very sad
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2010/269226.html

Quote:
Given the strength of the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies, about the most the Diamondbacks can hope for in 2010 is to climb out of last place and finish ahead of the Padres.

Ouch.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at some the recent drafts (2007 and 2008 were abysmal) when I saw something interesting.

Check out the Dbacks 42nd round pick in 2007

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=franch_year&team_ID=ARI&year_ID=2007&draft_type=junreg
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=franch_year&team_ID=ARI&year_ID=2007&draft_type=junreg

Football it is.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
levski wrote:

Football it is.

Smart choice, in retrospect.

You wonder if another former ND wide receiver regrets his decision...
jdeverehill
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR also says we drafted Ian Kinsler in the 26th round in 2001. That's not correct, is it?
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd like to think that, but yes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdeverehill wrote:
BR also says we drafted Ian Kinsler in the 26th round in 2001. That's not correct, is it?

They also drafted him on 2000. He as at Central AZ CC then pairing as a dp combo with Scotty Hairston IIRC.
jdeverehill
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. I can't believe we missed signing him twice. He went 17th round in 2003, so I guess scouts around the league couldn't have been that high on him.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdeverehill wrote:
Ouch. I can't believe we missed signing him twice. He went 17th round in 2003, so I guess scouts around the league couldn't have been that high on him.

Kinsler was one of those nice surprises for the Rangers. I don't think anyone could have honestly predicted the success he's had.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: