Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cubs to shop Zambrano (& now Bradley) this offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Cubs to shop Zambrano (& now Bradley) this offseason Reply with quote

SportingNews.com this week wrote:
According to the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs will explore their trade options with righthander Carlos Zambrano this offseason. Zambrano, who has a full no-trade clause, signed a five-year, $91.5 million deal in August 2007 [contract also includes a 6th year $19.25M vesting player option].

Zambrano recently complained about some media scrutiny that stemmed from him playing softball on a scheduled day off during a rehab stint, telling the newspaper, "Maybe if I go to a different city next year, if I get traded, I can do what I want." Zambrano later said he was joking, but the club apparently is serious about trying to move him.

The Chicago Tribune reported the organization feels it can shed Zambrano's contract and get some quality players in return.

At 114 ERA+ in 2008 and 111 ERA+ in 2009, Zambrano's performance isn't close to matching his bloated pay. It is far better than Eric Byrnes' play vs. pay for his ridiculous contract signed the same month in 2007, but EB's contract dies a merciful death after next season. Zambrano's goes on and on and on.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zambrano only gets the recognition that he gets because he plays in Chicago. In just about any other city he's just a really good pitcher.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Zambrano only gets the recognition that he gets because he plays in Chicago. In just about any other city he's just a really good pitcher.

Some cUBS FANS i KNOW, ITS JUST HES A GOOD HITTING PITCHER. Rolling Eyes

Oops I accidently hit caps lock, to lazy to fix it. to bad.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:

2009 ERA+
161 Dan Haren
112 Doug Davis
111 Max Scherzer
111 Carlos Zambrano
105 Jon Garland

He'd have made a nice #4 starter for the Diamondbacks this year (on a 1-year contract for about half his current annual pay). Wink
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Zambrano will have company on the trading block:

Cubs Suspend Milton Bradley for the Rest of the Season

Quote:
The Chicago Cubs have suspended outfielder Milton Bradley for the remainder of the season, following comments he made to the Arlington Heights Daily Herald about there being too much negativity playing for the Cubs.

"Recently it's become intolerable to hear Milton talk about our great fans the way he has," general manger Jim Hendry told ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine. "We pride ourselves on having the greatest fans in baseball, so at this time we felt it was best for him to go home for the rest of the season."

Bradley has two years remaining on a three-year, $30 million contract that he signed as a free agent last offseason. Hendry said he didn't know if the relationship was "fixable."

...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cubs should suspend themselves.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EB for Milton?
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
EB for Milton?

plus $10M and we'll talk

Still an expensive 4th OF at that price
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
EB for Milton?

plus $10M and we'll talk

Only if the Cubs take all of Flipper's salary, and pay all of Bradley's. Even then, I'd turn around and trade MB at the earliest opportunity.

This is one potential trade we don't have to worry about.
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
TAP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
Dre wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
EB for Milton?

plus $10M and we'll talk

Only if the Cubs take all of Flipper's salary, and pay all of Bradley's. Even then, I'd turn around and trade MB at the earliest opportunity.

Rotowire.com today wrote:
The Cubs will try to unload Bradley during the offseason, but the bottom line is that they still owe him $20 million over the final two years of his contract. Perhaps taking on someone else's headache (Eric Byrnes?) could punch his ticket out of Chicago, but it looks like general manager Jim Hendry is going to take the cake on this one.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
DesertKnight wrote:
Dre wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
EB for Milton?

plus $10M and we'll talk

The Cubs will try to unload Bradley during the offseason, but the bottom line is that they still owe him $20 million over the final two years of his contract. Perhaps taking on someone else's headache (Eric Byrnes?) could punch his ticket out of Chicago, but it looks like general manager Jim Hendry is going to take the cake on this one.

NEVER...GOING...TO...HAPPEN.

Not even "organizational advocacy" could make JB trade what is now an $11M head-ache for a $21M head-case, no matter how much money the Cubs throw in.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this over at the Snakepit following Jim's article on Milton Bradley just as a fun Chase Field memory:

September 4, 2007... My seat was on the left field wall that night at Chase and Milton Bradley was playing LF for the Padres. With two out in the bottom of the 1st, Mark Reynolds hit a deep fly ball to the LF wall. After Milton caught it for the 3rd out, he turned around, looked me in the eye and started to toss the ball to me. Suddenly realizing that I was booing him, he stopped, walked a few steps toward CF and looked for someone else to give the ball. They were all booing him too, so I shouted out “Right here, Milton!” He turned back, looked me in the eye again, and softly tossed me the ball. He was okay in my book after that.

In the 5th inning of that same game with AZ up 5-1, Milton was called out on strikes. He dropped his bat, didn’t say a word, and just stood at home plate staring down Phil Cuzzi, the home plate umpire. After several seconds of the Bradley staredown, Cuzzie tossed him. Milton stared a few more seconds and then slowly turned away and left the field. It was as though Milton had his fill of that game and was ready to call it a night.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the "EB for Milton" idea in jest - because - indeed - it will never happen.

There are stretches in MBs career that he was one of the best players in baseball. He singlehandedly carried SD for 2 months a couple years ago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bradlmi01.shtml

You want a LHED bat to put between Reynolds and Upton? His OPS in 2007-2008 was 940 as a LHed batter. (Career 800 OPS, .371 OBP)

Really just depends on which Milton shows up.

Edit - and to me - if you tell me we could have MB for $10M over 2 years - i might think about it. (Assumes EB is being "cut" after this year, and AZ is eating that money.) Youd definately have to trade Jackson and Snyder at that point - but really - we were probably going to do that anyway.

Last edited by qudjy1 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously MB not a good match with the Cubs.

Despite his reputation for being a "head case," MB could possibly fit well with another team that had a different managerial style and tone than the Cubs.

NOT that the Cubs are inordinately "bad" in this aspect, but they likely don't suit his temperament.

Last Friday, I was watching the Cardinals feed for the Cubs game... and they had Jim Edmonds visiting the booth for an inning. He compared being on the Cubs with Cards, and actually DID enjoy both situations... and was actually surprised at the professional and respectful atmosphere he found with the Cubs when approaching upcoming series with the Cardinals.

He liked playing for both TLR and Lou, but found their managerial styles completely different, and there may be a clue of why MB didn't fit with Cubs. While Edmonds described TLR as very "hands on"... constantly talking with his players to check on how they were doing (including personal/family situations), he said that Lou hardly ever interacted with his players--very aloof from them and just expected them to do their jobs.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
I posted the "EB for Milton" idea in jest - because - indeed - it will never happen.

There are stretches in MBs career that he was one of the best players in baseball. He singlehandedly carried SD for 2 months a couple years ago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bradlmi01.shtml

You want a LHED bat to put between Reynolds and Upton? His OPS in 2007-2008 was 940 as a LHed batter. (Career 800 OPS, .371 OBP)

Really just depends on which Milton shows up.

Edit - and to me - if you tell me we could have MB for $10M over 2 years - i might think about it. (Assumes EB is being "cut" after this year, and AZ is eating that money.) Youd definately have to trade Jackson and Snyder at that point - but really - we were probably going to do that anyway.

Remember - EB is really making 11.7M this year - not 10.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
EB for Milton?

no thanks

milton seriously needs to seek help

every where he goes, he has issues......

there are afew factors with milton

1) fans - no matter what city
2) umps - all of them
3) milton - the common factor

NO F-ING WAY DO I WANT HIM IN CHASE

he my try to drown someone in the pool
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
TAP wrote:
DesertKnight wrote:
Dre wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
EB for Milton?

plus $10M and we'll talk

NEVER...GOING...TO...HAPPEN.

Not even "organizational advocacy" could make JB trade what is now an $11M head-ache for a $21M head-case, no matter how much money the Cubs throw in.

atleast EB22 does not have all the baggage milton has.....

unless they pay all of eb22 and miltons sal. than we DFA milton and get both costs off our hands..... Wink josh, try it..... Laughing

NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

Despite his reputation for being a "head case," MB could possibly fit well with another team that had a different managerial style and tone than the Cubs.

NOT that the Cubs are inordinately "bad" in this aspect, but they likely don't suit his temperament.

Last Friday, I was watching the Cardinals feed for the Cubs game... and they had Jim Edmonds visiting the booth for an inning. He compared being on the Cubs with Cards, and actually DID enjoy both situations... and was actually surprised at the professional and respectful atmosphere he found with the Cubs when approaching upcoming series with the Cardinals.

He liked playing for both TLR and Lou, but found their managerial styles completely different, and there may be a clue of why MB didn't fit with Cubs. While Edmonds described TLR as very "hands on"... constantly talking with his players to check on how they were doing (including personal/family situations), he said that Lou hardly ever interacted with his players--very aloof from them and just expected them to do their jobs.

i would agree with that, but he has had issues everywhere he has played....

can take the bear out of the woods, but you cant take the woods out of the bear

qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:

What were his issues in San Diego? Hitting too well?
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:

see him flip out on the ump and pop his acl?

yes i know it was not with the team or fans, but it is always something somewhere

TAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

see him flip out on the ump and pop his acl?

IIRC, that one was on the umpire who baited Milton with a racist epithet and that umpire was suspended for doing so.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever. Either way - the guy CAN hit. Its just a matter of him being on the field. How good would a rotation of Upton, Bradley, Young, Jackson, Parra be?

Choice is - EB at 11.7M for one year - or MB for 20M for 2 years. Yes, EB seems to be a good teammate, and Milton is well, unstable.

Vs Rhers = Drew, Parra, Upton, Bradley, reynolds, Montero, Allen, Abreu, Pitcher

Vs Lhers - Roberts, Drew, Upton, Bradley, Reynolds, Montero (Hester) Jackson, Young, pitcher.

I dont think its as obvious a no as it could be.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Either way - the guy CAN hit.

Which is what every team that's signed him in the past 10 years has said, only to let him go at the end of the year because he's unstable.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Which is what every team that's signed him in the past 10 years has said, only to let him go at the end of the year because he's unstable.

Well - if by "let go" you mean traded... Once for Andre Ethier, another for a AAA pitcher. Rangers signed him to a one year deal. Padres werent spending that kind of money on a FA outfielder.

Im not saying the guy is great - but what do you want for Eric Byrnes?
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
DesertKnight wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Well - if by "let go" you mean traded... Once for Andre Ethier, another for a AAA pitcher. Rangers signed him to a one year deal. Padres werent spending that kind of money on a FA outfielder.

Im not saying the guy is great - but what do you want for Eric Byrnes?

A couple bats, a few replacement cleats, maybe a new rosin bag....

Seriously, I'd take a single-A middle reliever--which is right up JB's alley. The objective isn't to get something good in return, it's a salary dump. Taking on a contract that's bigger than Flipper's is a step backward, not forward.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Major League Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: