Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Brandon Allen
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Brandon Allen Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/60955

Whitesell optioned.
Roadrunner
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brandon Allen to the show! Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/60955

Whitesell optioned.

Excellent news!
Sonmething to get excited about now. I also think that Allen is from Texas so maybe his family can make the trip to Houston.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... can't wait to see this kid play today!
Tucson DBacks Fan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitesell´s poor performance helped hasten the call up, no doubt.
TAP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucson DBacks Fan wrote:
Whitesell´s poor performance helped hasten the call up, no doubt.

I don't think so. If it was just a matter of dumping Whitesell, there are any number of others that could have been called up to fill a roster spot. This is a direct response to Allen's performance since the trade.

Tony who?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt in my mind that Whitesells suckitude hastened Allens being called up. If Allen has a great month and a half, well good luck Whitesell you had a chance and you just took a big steaming crap on the first base bag.

Last edited by Justin on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a full year at Tucson Josh hit 328/425/568 and people were clamoring for him. My guess is that Reno is a better hitter's park because it is about 2,000 feet higher. How soon they forget.

I try not to make offensive posts about anyone (except for their baseball or analytical skills). I would especially observe this policy when we know that a player's wife reads this board. One (Lev excepted) should be able to get their point across without being rude.
TAP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
I try not to make offensive posts about anyone (except for their baseball or analytical skills). I would especially observe this policy when we know that a player's wife reads this board. One (Lev excepted) should be able to get their point across without being rude.

I agree.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitesell is not the first guy who tore the cover off the ball in AAA but failed to produce in the big leagues, nor will he be the last.

His numbers justified calling him up and giving him a shot. The opportunity was there for him, and, for whatever reason, he couldn't make the grade. I don't fault the FO for giving him a look-see; and it's too bad he couldn't hit major league pitching the way he hit AAA pitchers.

Good luck, Josh, wherever that may be.

Oh, and here's hoping that Brandon Allen is not the next Josh Whitesell...
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - good luck to both Allen and Whitesell!
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

x2

I'm excited to see how Allen will do, but wish the best for Whitesell as well.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

x2

x3
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
Driaz wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

x2

x3

I am in full agreement (for once!)
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said before - i thought whitesell could do it. I still dont think we have seen enough ABs - with consistant PT - but Major league ABs arent given out easily.

Fact is - he wasnt doin it - and Allen deserves a shot. I hope he makes the most of it.
Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit surprised whitesell didn't stick. He had a good month in june(?), and hasn't really hit since then. I'm excited to see brandon allen on the big league club though.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

142 PA's say we still don't know yet what Whitesell can do. Congrats to Allen on his promotion and very first MLB hit.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitesell still managed to stay above league average in OBP. He just couldn't get on base safely with a hit. Maybe the A's will take him for 3 prospects. Laughing
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted, but FanGraphs had this on Allen last week.

Quote:

First base has been a sore spot for the Arizona Diamondbacks organization for quite some time – especially in terms of power productions – and 2009 has been no different. The position has seen a number of players attempt to secure the full-time job but no one has been able to provide even league-average offense. The road to first base is littered with players such as Chad Tracy, Josh Whitesell, and Tony Clark.

The organization will now give rookie Brandon Allen a shot at the job. The big, sturdy prospect was acquired from the Chicago White Sox back on July 7. The American League club received reliever Tony Pena in return. Allen is actually the second first-base prospect that the club has received from Chicago in the past 24 months. The Diamondbacks dealt outfielder Carlos Quentin to the White Sox on Dec. 3, 2007 in exchange for Chris Carter. Carter spent only 11 days in the organization, though, before he was flipped to Oakland in the Dan Haren deal. Still with the Athletics organization, Carter is currently hitting .335/.434/.570 with 65 extra-base hits and 98 RBI in 481 double-A at-bats at the age of 22.

It’s a shame that the Diamondbacks organization was unable to hold on to Carter, but Allen represents another intriguing first-base prospect. The 23-year-old was originally selected out of a Texas high school in the fifth round of the 2004 amateur draft. It took about three seasons for him to get his feet underneath him. His career began to take off with a solid low-A ball season in 2007. Allen then followed that up with a monster year that saw him slam 29 homers between high-A and double-A.

This year, Allen began the season back in double-A. Although his power numbers were supressed a bit in Birmingham (His ISO dropped from .200+ to .162), the slugger hit for a higher average, he trimmed about 6% off his K rate (to 19.5%) and he continued to take a healthy number of walks. Once traded to the Arizona organization, Allen’s power returned and he slammed 12 homers in 142 triple-A at-bats (.324 ISO). He also maintained his improved batting average and plate rates. Although the left-handed hitter has struggled against southpaws in the past, he hit .317 against them in the minors this season and did not embarrass himself last year, either.

Allen is bound to have some ups and downs throughout the final weeks of the 2009 season, but he represents the best in-house option at the first-base position in 2010. With a little patience, he could become an above-average power source for the club. The power output would be a welcomed sight, as the club has only had two seasons in which its first basemen topped 20 home runs in its 12-year history: 1998, Travis Lee (22 homers) and 2005, Tony Clark (30) and Chad Tracy (27), although the latter also spent 51 games in the outfield.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/allen-brings-the-power-back
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Allen is now tied for 2nd on the all-time diamondbacks 2009 first base Home Run list. and by year end he has a good chance of being in first place.

Player ABs HR
Tracy 242 6
Allen 80 4
Clarke 66 4
Whitesell 108 1

His monster .753 OPS has brought Diamondback 2009 1B OPS all the way up to .717.

Clearly, those who thought Brandon could be a huge upgrade at first for the Dbacks are being proven right. Wink
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry, but i must admit

when he hit that out last night, i thought to myself..... it id nice to have a 1b that can do that...
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
True fans sense a special joy during the great times lesser fans cannot, earned loyally through the bloody worst.

Really like your sig...

Caused flashback from yesterday when a casual fan movie usher noticed my Dbacks polo and remarked "What has happened to our poor Diamondbacks?" .... and then looked at me like I was insane when I told her that I was hopeful for the future and looking forward to this team "long term"
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro / The Arizona Republic tonight wrote:
When Brandon Allen reports to the Arizona Fall League shortly after the season, Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch would like to see his slugging first baseman refine his two-strike approach.

In his month-plus in the majors, Allen has shown he has legitimate power potential and the ability to work a count. But he also has shown a penchant to swing and miss at a tremendous rate.

In 110 plate appearances, Allen has 38 strikeouts, which translates into a 34.6 percent rate, higher than the 33.1 percent rate of teammate Mark Reynolds, baseball's two-time strikeout king.

Hinch said he would like to see Allen "not panic so much with two strikes."

"I think he gets in-between pitches," Hinch said. "He worries about the breaking ball with two strikes and gets a little jumpy with the fastball."

Only five of Allen's 38 strikeouts were called third strikes. Hinch believes Allen's at-bats typically are pretty good until he gets to two strikes. His ability to make a pitcher work is evidenced by his average of 4.45 pitches per plate appearance.

"His strike-zone judgment is actually pretty good and he gets himself into a lot of good counts," Hinch said. "I think that over time that will allow him to be a better two-strike hitter."
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Brandon Allen show you?

"Enough to be intrigued but not enough to lock it down. He obviously dominated Triple-A and showed that he has power here and can play defense. At this point in his career, there’s some holes that he’s going to need to close up. He’ll play in the fall league. Again, with as much roster flexibility as we have, if it is Conor Jackson or Rusty Ryal or others to account for first base, he’ll be in the mix to compete, but he’ll certainly have to earn his job and earn his playing time."

- Josh Byrnes this afternoon
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

"Enough to be intrigued but not enough to lock it down. He obviously dominated Triple-A and showed that he has power here and can play defense. At this point in his career, there’s some holes that he’s going to need to close up. He’ll play in the fall league. Again, with as much roster flexibility as we have, if it is Conor Jackson or Rusty Ryal or others to account for first base, he’ll be in the mix to compete, but he’ll certainly have to earn his job and earn his playing time."

as he should, but i would have to say, i will be Shocked if he does not open in april as the starting 1b.... josh gave up a pen guy that was under contract for afew years for this guy.... he will play
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
TAP wrote:

as he should, but i would have to say, i will be Shocked if he does not open in april as the starting 1b.... josh gave up a pen guy that was under contract for afew years for this guy.... he will play

Or get flipped for a pen guy under contract for a few years...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: