Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jon Garland clears waivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If worse comes to worse, it's one year of service time. Unless Abreu is injured now, which he isn't, even paying $2.5M for him is likely going to work out great. Good prospects are worth a great more than $2.5M, even missing a year of service time.

And if we get the Dodgers to give us some cash/players to make up for it, then more power to us. In fact I wonder how much we really care, and if it's just an attempt to exploit Colletti getting caught with his pants down.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
Smokey
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that in the MLB bylaws there must be some procedure for resolving differences between teams when something like this happens, maybe through the commissioners' office. I just tried to find them on google, but couldn't--anybody know where they are?
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
If worse comes to worse, it's one year of service time. Unless Abreu is injured now, which he isn't, even paying $2.5M for him is likely going to work out great. Good prospects are worth a great more than $2.5M, even missing a year of service time.

It's not a year of service time, its only enough to qualify him as a Super Two. We still get the same amount of control over him, just four years of arb instead of three. The way I see it, if he doesn't live up to anything, he won't make much in arb, no harm done. If he becomes something and makes a bunch in arb, who cares? We got something for a month of nothing.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
ValueArb wrote:

It's not a year of service time, its only enough to qualify him as a Super Two. We still get the same amount of control over him, just four years of arb instead of three. The way I see it, if he doesn't live up to anything, he won't make much in arb, no harm done. If he becomes something and makes a bunch in arb, who cares? We got something for a month of nothing.

What you said more clearly.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JG 5-1 2.15 ERA in his last 7 starts for LA. Shocked

And we still dont know whats going on with the trade? Evil or Very Mad
coolwater
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

JG just not fit in Chasefield Cool
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

Garland has only made 5 starts for LA.
2 against the Dbacks, who suck.
2 against the Pirates, who suck.
1 against the Giants, who suck.
Let's hold off on the fellation.

You only hope that Garland has a couple of decent starts in the playoffs so the Dodgers pick up his option for 10.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

Starters wins don't mean much in most cases, and even less when they are pitching in front the National Leagues most efficent defense, and being carried by the National Leagues 2nd or 3rd best offense. And as Levski said, pitching against the dregs of the league in those starts.

Jon's also given up 4 unearned runs in 33 innings. Pitchers have a lot of responsibility for "unearned" runs (see Schilling, Curt HOF Case) and that's a very high rate to give them up. So his RA is 3.00 per 9 innings with the Dodgers, and FanGraphs says his FIP has dropped from 4.61 to 3.6 since moving, both pretty good, but again the competition wasn't.

I think he's just the same Jon Garland, maybe a little more motivated, but still a league average innings eater and over-all jerk that some DBacks fans under-rated while he was here. He's a nice fit for the Dodgers where he doesn't have to throw tantrums over missed defensive plays, or pout on the bench waiting for his team-mates to put runs on the board..
kris
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its official now.
D-Backs get INF Abreu from Dodgers

Quote:

"Tony is a switch hitter with the ability to play many infield positions and can swing the bat," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said. "He certainly will be involved in the competition for second base and add depth and flexibility to our roster."

http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/mlbnews.asp?articleID=265996
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:
Its official now.
D-Backs get INF Abreu from Dodgers

Quote:

"Tony is a switch hitter with the ability to play many infield positions and can swing the bat," Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes said. "He certainly will be involved in the competition for second base and add depth and flexibility to our roster."

http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/mlbnews.asp?articleID=265996

Good Trade - and it seems as though the days of service thing has been settled - so thats good too. (LINK)

Quote:
A settlement was reached in which Abreu received an additional 30 days service credit and the difference in salary between his Minor League and Major League rate, a baseball source said.

Really - getting anything of use back for a guy who was sunk cost has to be a bonus - and here is a guy who might actually start at 2B. Pretty damn good trade.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garland left off Dodgers NLCS roster...

(from rotoworld)

Garland was caught on the wrong end of a numbers crunch. You can forgive him for his disappointment after he went 3-2 with a 2.72 ERA after being acquired from Arizona. Hiroki Kuroda's quick recovery from a herniated disk in his neck pushed Garland from the roster. "I know it came down to Kuroda's health," said Garland. "It wasn't a surprise. I'm a pretty smart guy. I absolutely want to be playing. I don't take it happily. I want to be part of this and it's a tough one to take."
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:

(from rotoworld)

Garland was caught on the wrong end of a numbers crunch. You can forgive him for his disappointment after he went 3-2 with a 2.72 ERA after being acquired from Arizona. Hiroki Kuroda's quick recovery from a herniated disk in his neck pushed Garland from the roster. "I know it came down to Kuroda's health," said Garland. "It wasn't a surprise. I'm a pretty smart guy. I absolutely want to be playing. I don't take it happily. I want to be part of this and it's a tough one to take."

It's Upton's fault.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
David B wrote:

(from rotoworld)

It's Upton's fault.

They need to close the roof at Dodger Stadium.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So really - thats a pretty crappy trade for LA - even WITH garlands surprisingly good performance for them down the stretch.
bosoxhater
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

It's Upton's fault.

Jusstin wrote:

They need to close the roof at Dodger Stadium.

LOL

I certainly don't miss his attitude.
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers pass on Garland's 2010 option
Righty becomes free agent after $10 million not picked up
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Quote:
Garland is entitled to receive a $2.5 million buyout, which will be paid by the Arizona Diamondbacks as part of the terms of the trade that sent Garland to the Dodgers for infielder Tony Abreu on Aug. 31.

I hope Abreu is really worth it...
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
TAP wrote:

Quote:
Garland is entitled to receive a $2.5 million buyout, which will be paid by the Arizona Diamondbacks as part of the terms of the trade that sent Garland to the Dodgers for infielder Tony Abreu on Aug. 31.

Why? We would have paid Jon Garland that $2.5M whether we kept him or not (because the Dodgers probably wouldn't have traded for him if we didnt).
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
levski wrote:
TAP wrote:

Quote:

Why? We would have paid Jon Garland that $2.5M whether we kept him or not (because the Dodgers probably wouldn't have traded for him if we didnt).

Oh, I just hope he really is worth it...
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Abreu through 14 games and 60 PAs in winter ball:

.259/.295/.345
.640 OPS
2BB/14K

Tony's from the Dominican. Maybe playing at home is a distraction for him, as he put up far better numbers playing minor league ball in 2009 (excepting the BB/K ratio which was bad there too).
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

.259/.295/.345
.640 OPS
2BB/14K

Tony's from the Dominican. Maybe playing at home is a distraction for him, as he put up far better numbers playing minor league ball in 2009 (excepting the BB/K ratio which was bad there too).

Nah, he just sucks...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

.259/.295/.345
.640 OPS
2BB/14K

Brain-dead Caribbean swinging at slop?! Embarassed
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
TAP wrote:

.259/.295/.345
.640 OPS
2BB/14K

Nah, he just sucks...

60 PAs is all you need to make a determination....
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
baldmaga wrote:
TAP wrote:

.259/.295/.345
.640 OPS
2BB/14K

Nah, he just sucks...

60 PAs is all you need to make a determination....

Better than 59
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...here we are approaching the half way point in the season.

Garland through 16 starts wit SD still has a 3.13 ERA, 116 ERA+, 1.311 WHIP and a 8-5 record. Since trading him, in 22 starts, 134 IP he is 11-7, with a 3.03 ERA. BUT he has given up 12 unearned runs, so he certainly hasn't been as good as his ERA.

Meanwhile, in 94 PA's so far this year, Abreu has ONE walk, Zero HR, and a 53 OPS+. .261/.266/.326

(0 for 3 today and down to .253 BA as of this typing)

It's a small samples size...yada yada yada.....but the guy is exactly who he has always been........a guy who NEVER EVER walks and is completely dependent on BABIP to put up a good line. League avg BABIP for a guy like Abreu is death. He needs to be putting up a .330-.350 BABIP to be useful. He's currently at .304 He's been really unlucky on ground balls...just 4 for 42, .095 BABIP. Avg is usually somewhere around .230. But on the flip side, he's got well above avg babip on LD and FB. Hence the league avg mark.

The irony is he's not really first pitch hacking. His First Pitch Swing Percentage is 23%, well below his career avg of 28% and league avg 27%.

Anyway.......back when this trade was made, I like it. I thought we got decent value for a guy we didn't want to spend money on. In hindsight, the option Money for Garland would have been well worth his production, IF we could have gotten that production level out of him here......which we probably wouldn't have.

Abreu has so far failed to improve or develop his ability to work a walk and become less dependent on BABIP to maintain a good OBP. Not surprising, considerng his age, makeup, and minor league track record. Too bad....as with this level of "plate discipline", he is nothing more than an Alex Cintron wannabe.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: