Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jon Garland clears waivers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Jon Garland clears waivers Reply with quote

Jon Paul Morosi / foxsports.com this morning wrote:
Diamondbacks right-hander Jon Garland has cleared trade waivers, three major-league sources told FOXSports.com on Wednesday night.

Garland is among the best starters currently available on the trade market, one source said. That pool is relatively small, because it generally includes high-salaried pitchers on teams that are already out of contention.

Garland is 6-11 with a 4.42 ERA in 25 starts with Arizona this year. Despite his statistics, he has some appeal because of his postseason experience with the White Sox in 2005. He has a 3.60 ERA in six starts after the All-Star break.

The size of his contract likely kept other teams from claiming him on waivers, and it could prevent him from being dealt.

Garland is earning $6.25 million this year, with a $10 million mutual option for 2010. He will receive a $2.5 million buyout if the team's share of the option is declined.

So, at this point, there's a minimum of $4 million left on his deal. Many teams are wary of adding that much money this late in a season.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no tears shed here.....

wonder if teams would offer the dbacks just $$ relief...like the brew tried with DD49

doubt there will be much coming back for him
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can pay part of that $4M, if someone will give us decent prospects. But I'm not even sure he'll get the $2.5M buyout, because unless the market has permanently changed, a one year deal at $10M for a league average starter isn't excessive or risky, so the claiming team may opt to keep him and he might even opt out hoping for a multiyear deal, reducing the buyout to $1M.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thing is, the DBacks can wait until August 31st to see if a team loses a starter or becomes desperate.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Nice thing is, the DBacks can wait until August 31st to see if a team loses a starter or becomes desperate.

Cards could be a candidate since they seem to be desperately looking for a fungible 5th starter... and NOW hoping John Smoltz will be the guy. If the NL Central race is close at the end of the month, they might deal...
older fart
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

Cards could be a candidate since they seem to be desperately looking for a fungible 5th starter... and NOW hoping John Smoltz will be the guy. If the NL Central race is close at the end of the month, they might deal...

I would say the Dodgers are even more desperate. I'd take a flyer on Smoltz before Padilla.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I can't win as many games," said Garland, who has six victories. "I won 14 last year, and it didn't seem like anybody wanted to talk to me. I don't see how I'm putting myself in a better situation.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2009/08/20/20090820spt-dbnotebook.html

sounds to me he will look to extend this stay into 2010.

after all he just said he wont even sniff anything close to that money

EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Quote:
"I can't win as many games," said Garland, who has six victories. "I won 14 last year, and it didn't seem like anybody wanted to talk to me. I don't see how I'm putting myself in a better situation.

Sounds as if Jon-Boy should become an advocate for the use of metrics other than W-L for pitchers... Either that, or he was hoping to land a Russ Ortiz-style contract based on his W-L record...
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Quote:

Sounds as if Jon-Boy should become an advocate for the use of metrics other than W-L for pitchers... Either that, or he was hoping to land a Russ Ortiz-style contract based on his W-L record...

he is really really starting to rub me the wrong way

TAP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm not going to say my true feelings about some of the stuff that went on [during the off-season], because I definitely feel there were some things going on."
Jon Garland on March 31, 2009 on why he didn't get better offers during the offseason

Responds Mike Penner from the LA Times: "What was going on? A depressed economy, for one, coupled with an inflated earned-run average down the stretch. Potential bidders probably noticed Garland's ERA in his last 14 starts with the Angels: 6.58."

"I will vote to have [the roof] closed every time I'm out there."
Jon Garland on April 15, 2009 after surrendering seven runs on seven hits and five walks in 3 2/3 innings pitched.

"When I came in and sat down and went over the three runs they had scored, um, I give them maybe one, um, but WE gave them the other two, um, flat out."
Jon Garland on July 22, 2009 after losing to the Rockies, with the "WE" being his teammates.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

older fart wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

I would say the Dodgers are even more desperate. I'd take a flyer on Smoltz before Padilla.

From all the talk I saw on Cards' broadcast last night, they are perfectly happy to have Smoltz aboard... and two of the players apparently lobbied to get him there: Wainwright and DeRosa. Chris Carpenter also seems to be very happy to have a pitcher of Smoltz's stature around to talk shop... so much of the TV broadcaster hype is about Smoltz's intangibles. (Garland doesn't have anything like this for the Cards)
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
so much of the TV broadcaster hype is about Smoltz's intangibles. (Garland doesn't have anything like this for the Cards)

Garland has intangibles.

Unfortunately, most (if not all) are undesirable.

Given the choice of, "Davis or Garland?", that's a no-brainer: Doug Davis.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
so much of the TV broadcaster hype is about Smoltz's intangibles. (Garland doesn't have anything like this for the Cards)

Garland has intangibles.

I'll take C

Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:

Garland has intangibles.

I'll take C

How about Option J?
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:

Garland has intangibles.

I'll take C

How about Option J?

A healthy CJ will do
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

I'll take C

How about Option J?

A healthy CJ will do

Bada-BOOM! Laughing
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As good as DD has been for us, I'll take Garland going forward.

And I also think JG will choose to pick up that option. The waivers/trade deadline displayed just how in-demand his services are and that W-L record is obviously concerning to Garland, also. He shouldn't be too confident regarding his ability to garner a better deal than the $10.25 he has on the table. Further, that's not exactly pocket change and he gets to go into FA an extra year away from the economic shit storm.

So Garland shouldn't be too upset about the deal he has here and he makes more $ if he accepts, but we don't.

Why should we go with JG over DD?

A) Age 30 vs Age 34 season

2) 1-yr option vs 3-yr deal

D) Garland has been "blown up" in 5 of his 25 starts this season; Davis has been "blown up" in 7 of his 26 starts.

IV) Davis' BAbip is almost 40 points lower than last season, and would the 2nd lowest BAbip of his career; the WHIP would be the 3rd lowest of his career; the ERA+ would be the 3rd highest of his career. All of this screams a guy that is pitching out his ass in a contract year.

My fear is that we'll be locked into another 3yrs/$30M for a DD that will be a shittier version of his Age 30-33 self.

And if JG wants a contract extension, we should wish him well and send him on his way, too.
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Russo / nybaseballdigest.com today wrote:
Our source in Tampa informed us Tuesday night that the Yankees have been trying to make a deal with the DBack for starting pitcher Jon Garland. Garland would be additional back-up for the back end of a rotation which includes the inconsistent Joba Chamberlain, Sergio Mitre and Chad Guadin. Many in the Yankees organization feel that a veteran like Garland would be the perfect addition to the rotation, especially since Chamberlain, who has struggled of late, has but a hand full of starts left in the season. .

Our source told us: “Cashman is not satisfied to just give away games every 4th or 5th day. He’s still looking to add depth, and Garland would do just that.”

Several teams, including the Rockies, have also expressed interest in the 6′6″ right hander. Garland, who has already cleared waivers, is currently 7-11 with a 4.48 ERA.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Our source in Tampa informed us Tuesday night that the Yankees have been trying to make a deal with the DBack for starting pitcher Jon Garland. Garland would be additional back-up for the back end of a rotation which includes the inconsistent Joba Chamberlain, Sergio Mitre and Chad Guadin. Many in the Yankees organization feel that a veteran like Garland would be the perfect addition to the rotation, especially since Chamberlain, who has struggled of late, has but a hand full of starts left in the season. .

Our source told us: “Cashman is not satisfied to just give away games every 4th or 5th day. He’s still looking to add depth, and Garland would do just that.”

Several teams, including the Rockies, have also expressed interest in the 6′6″ right hander. Garland, who has already cleared waivers, is currently 7-11 with a 4.48 ERA.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
TAP wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

x2

It'd be nice to get something for him.
older fart
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Salad wrote:

x2

Best news I've read all week
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect better than a replacement level player.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Don't expect better than a replacement level player.

there is a great butcher in the new yankee stadium....

ill take 10 lbs and some cole slaw on the side

levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Salad wrote:

x2

don't get your hopes up
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audacity.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: