Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

...in the past 12 months the highest paid actor was Harrison Ford, coming in at just a shade under $65 mil. Like Byrnes, someone feels like its a good idea to keep trotting this guy out and putting him in the lineup.

Below is the Forbes list of Hollywood’s Top-Earning Actors top 10:

1. Harrison Ford: $65 million
2. Adam Sandler: $55 million
3. Will Smith: $45 million
4. Eddie Murphy: $40 million
5. Nicolas Cage: $40 million
6. Tom Hanks: $35 million
7. Tom Cruise: $30 million
8. Jim Carrey: $28 million
9. Brad Pitt: $28 million
10. Johnny Depp: $27 million
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my all-time favorite movies have starred Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks (not together though). They are at the top of their industry and I would pay money to see them perform, so in my view they're not overpaid. If they were extras being paid leading man money, we'd have a Flipper situation on our hands.

FWIW, my 7 favorite Harrison Ford movies and 7 favorite Tom Hanks movies:

Ford
• Witness
• Air Force One
• Regarding Henry
• Clear and Present Danger
• The Fugitive
• Patriot Games
• Six Days Seven Nights

Hanks
• Saving Private Ryan
• Cast Away
• Forrest Gump
• The Green Mile
• Road to Perdition
• A League of Their Own
• Apollo 13
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up, Johnny Depp in "The Flipper Story"!
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Hanks
• Saving Private Ryan
• Cast Away
• Forrest Gump
• The Green Mile
• Road to Perdition
• A League of Their Own
• Apollo 13

No top 7 list would be complete without The 'Burbs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Some of my all-time favorite movies have starred Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks (not together though). They are at the top of their industry and I would pay money to see them perform, so in my view they're not overpaid. If they were extras being paid leading man money, we'd have a Flipper situation on our hands.

FWIW, my 7 favorite Harrison Ford movies and 7 favorite Tom Hanks movies:

Ford
• Witness
• Air Force One
• Regarding Henry
• Clear and Present Danger
• The Fugitive
• Patriot Games
• Six Days Seven Nights

Hanks
• Saving Private Ryan
• Cast Away
• Forrest Gump
• The Green Mile
• Road to Perdition
• A League of Their Own
• Apollo 13

no star wars no indy?
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
... If they were extras being paid leading man money, we'd have a Flipper situation on our hands.

Since Flipper is a 4th outfielder, a more apt movie comparison would be giving leading man salary to a supporting character actor.

If I could think of an average one, I'd name one... but most of the ones I know off the top of my head are extremely TALENTED actors... and thus don't qualify as metaphor for Flipper.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone from the cast of Friends would work.

Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is Ford and Hanks are good at what they do.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

David B wrote:
...in the past 12 months the highest paid actor was Harrison Ford, coming in at just a shade under $65 mil. Like Byrnes, someone feels like its a good idea to keep trotting this guy out and putting him in the lineup.

Below is the Forbes list of Hollywood’s Top-Earning Actors top 10:

1. Harrison Ford: $65 million
2. Adam Sandler: $55 million
3. Will Smith: $45 million
4. Eddie Murphy: $40 million
5. Nicolas Cage: $40 million
6. Tom Hanks: $35 million
7. Tom Cruise: $30 million
8. Jim Carrey: $28 million
9. Brad Pitt: $28 million
10. Johnny Depp: $27 million

How many of these actors made a movie last year that wasn't:

1. Sequel
2. Remake
3. Generic Hollywood movie

Nicolas Cage drives me nuts. He makes the worst movies and he keeps getting paid. These overblown salaries are the reason it costs $80 to take a family to the movies.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the irony of an Eric Byrnes thread getting hijacked.

Quote:
Nicolas Cage drives me nuts. He makes the worst movies and he keeps getting paid.

Agreed. He went straight downhill after Valley Girl.

TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
matt wrote:
Nicolas Cage drives me nuts. He makes the worst movies and he keeps getting paid.

Agreed. He went straight downhill after Valley Girl.

True that. In addition, Nick's never had the ability to dive unnecessarily for balls that can be caught standing up, do full somersaults while throwing balls back into the infield, regularly dive into first base on infield ground balls, dive 5 feet short of bases on attempted stolen bases, and yet do the most perfect flying nun while popping out -- all for the discounted price of $30 million.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

My take...

1. Harrison Ford: (Is to acting what Ken Griffey Jr is to baseball)
2. Adam Sandler: (I don't get him. I've never gotten him)
3. Will Smith: (Has some definite talent, but doesn't always choose the best roles)
4. Eddie Murphy: (Has become a cliche)
5. Nicolas Cage: (The Eric Byrnes of this list--more affect than talent)
6. Tom Hanks: (Haven't cared much for a lot of his recent stuff, but had a Hall of Fame worthy stretch earlier in his career)
7. Tom Cruise: (Surprises me every now and then, but it's hard for me to see him on the screen and not think "That's Tom Cruise")
8. Jim Carrey: (Has two basic roles--His more understated one can be effective. His zany one is a bore)
9. Brad Pitt: (I don't always like his films, but I think he has talent)
10. Johnny Depp: (The most talented, versatile actor on this list)
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

The name that surprises me on the list is Eddie Murphy, who hasn't had a hit in forever. I think Daddy Day Care was the last vehicle for him to make it past $100m [I'm not counting Dreamgirls]. So how in hell is he still making $40m? To extend the baseball metaphor, it's like a player who sucked for five years *still* getting a ridiculous free-agent contract. I can't stand Sandler or Carrey, but at least they are capable of putting butts on cinema seats now and again.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
The name that surprises me on the list is Eddie Murphy, who hasn't had a hit in forever.

I can't think of any Eddie Murphy films I've liked since 48 Hours .... totally baffled how he's demanding bucks with all the flops he currently ensures.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
The name that surprises me on the list is Eddie Murphy, who hasn't had a hit in forever. I think Daddy Day Care was the last vehicle for him to make it past $100m [I'm not counting Dreamgirls]. So how in hell is he still making $40m? To extend the baseball metaphor, it's like a player who sucked for five years *still* getting a ridiculous free-agent contract. I can't stand Sandler or Carrey, but at least they are capable of putting butts on cinema seats now and again.

Eddie's movies make money. They usually make money by the truckload. Checking wikipedia he's had a couple of bombs but most of the time his movies perform well. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most are crap but the industry doesn't give a crap about quality as long as it makes money.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that list reflect only current movies, or does it include royalties from past movies, too? If so, Eddie's probably still making a killing from Beverly Hills Cop and 48 Hours TV reruns. And I'm sure the kiddies like Nutty Professor DVDs and such.

But there are several people on that list that I just can't stomach. Adam Sandler's only decent movie was Happy Gilmore, Tom Cruise is a caricature, and Cage can't act (although I did like the first National Treasure--but that's because I'm a history nerd, and the chick was hot). Carrey's schtick is old, Pitt doesn't impress me in the slightest, and Depp--well, he's just weird (talented maybe, but he does some of the oddest roles).
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
AZ SnakePit
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

matt wrote:
AZ SnakePit wrote:

Eddie's movies make money. They usually make money by the truckload. Checking wikipedia he's had a couple of bombs but most of the time his movies perform well.

Really?
Eddie Murphy Box Office Returns
Since summer 2000, the only genuine Murphy vehicle [where he was not a supporting character] to break $100m was Daddy Day Care, and that only just did it at $104m. On the other hand, there have been a number of total bombs, such as Pluto Nash and Meet Dave.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
matt wrote:
AZ SnakePit wrote:

Eddie's movies make money. They usually make money by the truckload. Checking wikipedia he's had a couple of bombs but most of the time his movies perform well.

Really?
Since summer 2000, the only genuine Murphy vehicle [where he was not a supporting character] to break $100m was Daddy Day Care, and that only just did it at $104m. On the other hand, there have been a number of total bombs, such as Pluto Nash and Meet Dave.

Yeah, but you have to look at the production cost too, specifically of those movies where he dresses up in the fat suits and plays half the characters (I thought there were a couple in a series but Norbit is the only one from the list I remember).

Those movies all bombed critically, but Norbit for example, took in $95M dollars, which probably made the studio a lot of money when you have Eddie Murphy playing half the characters, and you aren't wasting money on things like a script and director.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:

Those movies all bombed critically, but Norbit for example, took in $95M dollars, which probably made the studio a lot of money when you have Eddie Murphy playing half the characters, and you aren't wasting money on things like a script and director.

Granted, a hiring a name director for Norbit would be a waste of money, but click on that link to see the full cast and crew for the film... and you'll see that such a schlock Hollywood produced vehicle requires a TON of collaborating "talent."

You may cut down on the number of stars to cast by having Murphy play multiple characters, but then you have to add a lot of special effects artists and make up dudes... and a HUGE number of off screen production people to put this trash together.

This is nothing along the lines of what more indie filmmakers do without the financial resources of big studios.
csktech
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
AZ SnakePit wrote:
The name that surprises me on the list is Eddie Murphy, who hasn't had a hit in forever.

I can't think of any Eddie Murphy films I've liked since 48 Hours .... totally baffled how he's demanding bucks with all the flops he currently ensures.

Im with you on this one with one exception, I did like him voicing Donkey in Shrek

Boycott Maple.... Real Men Use Ash

"And they give you cash, Which is just as good as money..." Yogi
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:

Granted, a hiring a name director for Norbit would be a waste of money, but click on that link to see the full cast and crew for the film... and you'll see that such a schlock Hollywood produced vehicle requires a TON of collaborating "talent."

You may cut down on the number of stars to cast by having Murphy play multiple characters, but then you have to add a lot of special effects artists and make up dudes... and a HUGE number of off screen production people to put this trash together.

This is nothing along the lines of what more indie filmmakers do without the financial resources of big studios.

I know, I was just being an asshole.

What I should have focused on more is the "family-friendly" aspect of his recent movies and the fact that those types of movies, ino matter how awful they are, are good bets to make their money back, as I'm sure Norbit did and then some, even with all the Razzies and bad reviews.

I was hanging out with friends and we got to talking about the "Night at the Museum" sequel and I mentioned I couldn't believe that they green-lit a sequel to that awful movie, and my friend said his kid saw it twice in the theatre, owns the DVD, and went and saw the sequel on the opening weekend.

So the reason a lot of people on this board probably don't like Eddie Murphy's recent movies is because they are geared toward 7th and 8th graders and aren't meant to be movies that are critically acclaimed...or even for adults.

Also, while the Shrek movies may not have been Eddie Murphy vehicles that he starred in, I am sure he got a hefty paycheck for them that played a part in him making this list.

Finally, I have to disagree on Nick Cage...sort of. It seems like when I watch one of his movies, it is either one of the best movies I have seen or one of the worst - there's no in between.

Adaptation, Lord of War, The Weather Man, Matchstick Men, Bringing out the Dead, Leaving Las Vegas, and of course Raising Arizona, are amongst my favorite all-time movies.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So you think Eric Byrnes is overpaid... Reply with quote

AZ SnakePit wrote:
matt wrote:
AZ SnakePit wrote:

Really?

Those are box office only (probably domestic too). You also forgot the Doolitle and Nutty Professor movies. Supporting characters or not he still usually plays a large role and get paid a shitload for the role. Overall, if you check Wikipedia's numbers they are much larger and also give budgets for comparison.

He's one of those people that Disney and Hollywood think of as a safe bet that if he's a part of the movie it will do well an the numbers back it up. Do you think Mulan would have made over $300 million without Eddie playing the silly sidekick? Would Shrek have been the same without him as the Donkey? He should get just as much credit as the leads in those movies.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't say this, but I like a number of movies with Nicholas Cage... Embarassed

In no particular order:
Raising Arizona
Guarding Tess
Ghostrider
(OK, yes, it's dumb. I still enjoyed it! Also just found out there's a sequel on its way...Shocked)
The National Treasure movies
Windtalkers

Dewberry
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
I probably shouldn't say this, but I like a number of movies with Nicholas Cage... Embarassed

In no particular order:
Raising Arizona
Guarding Tess
Ghostrider
(OK, yes, it's dumb. I still enjoyed it! Also just found out there's a sequel on its way...Shocked)
The National Treasure movies
Windtalkers

I'm a little ashamed you guys didn't mention one of the greatest movies ever made Leaving Las Vegas
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB lists 61 movies for Cage, and I've seen 4. But then again, not much of a movie person.

I don't even remember him being in Fast Times, but, then again, how many 15 yo boys remember anything after seeing Phoene Cates' rack?

Saw Peggy Sue Got Married. Blah.

Saw Gone In Sixty Seconds. While the Cage remake was a better movie, as far as production and all that, it was a remake...and didn't even follow the concept of the original.

Saw Wild At Heart. Let's just say it was a wierd movie. But then most Lynch offerings are.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: