Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2010 MLB Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach, I'm done. I don't really care about following the rest. WAAAAAAAY TOO LONG.

Leads/ties blown by the Diamondbacks bullpen in '10: 31
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Jdub wrote:
D'Backs' 10th pick: Kawika Emsley-Pai Catcher

Fixed.

Laughing

He is an interesting story in that he was supposed to go to University of Texas after his sr year in high school but because of surgery to his back he missed his sr year. He went to a local community college and im guessing the Dbacks saw what Texas saw in him before his injury.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like really like our 13th round pick. Kevin Ziomek is 6'3 190lbs projectable left hander pitcher with good stuff and decent command and generally a very good projectable HS pitcher.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Ach, I'm done. I don't really care about following the rest. WAAAAAAAY TOO LONG.

It might be a bit long but i like the draft and follow it to the end because little gems can be sustained right through the draft.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice upside pick taken by the Dbacks in the 14th round, taking young toolsy HS outfielder Ty Linton who was projected in top 100 by multiple publications.

Im not sure if he is related to Ollie Linton the outfielder in our farm system.
amit
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Another nice upside pick taken by the Dbacks in the 14th round, taking young toolsy HS outfielder Ty Linton who was projected in top 100 by multiple publications.

He's also a very good football player, and was recruited to play linebacker/safety for UNC. I think he slipped because he may decide to go to college for two sports.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:

He's also a very good football player, and was recruited to play linebacker/safety for UNC. I think he slipped because he may decide to go to college for two sports.

I had a feeling his slipping must've had something to do with a commitment to college and with his 6'3 210 playing football was a possibility also. Because we dont have many tough signs we may be able to sign him though.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we start the Colon jokes now...

Colon Ready to go

Embarassed Laughing
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like this guy the Dbacks have just picked in the 23rd round, Roberto Padila a 6'3 180lbs Left handed pitcher out of junior college who is a nice projectable kid with average stuff and command at the moment, not bad for a 23 rd pick
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Can we start the Colon jokes now...

Colon Ready to go

Embarassed Laughing

Laughing
I read a comment somewhere from a reds fan. They said "First Alonso, then Chapman, now Grandal...I think they're taking this reds thing a bit too seriously."

And did you know we drafted Michael Hur? Son of none other than Ben Hur.
(Seriously his father's name)
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly the guy we picked with our 11th rd pick SS Michael Freeman from Clemson is a guy we also drafted last year in the 36th round.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just drafted Ryan Zimmerman in the 30th Round!!!!

Oh wait this guy is a pitcher from Northwestern State Smile
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:

Have you been listening to the draft all day (well, evening/night for you)? I'd have a headache by now...

Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:

Have you been listening to the draft all day (well, evening/night for you)? I'd have a headache by now...

I was listening for the first 15 rounds or so but after that ive just been checking in on all the picks. Its a bit long i know but i like knowing what players i liked were picked and where and more importantly what players we can expect to see in our farm system soon.

I think today was an okay day with a few really good high upside pitchers in Bradley, Greene, Perry, Ziomek and above all Robby Rowland who i think could be the start of this draft for us. But we also got some iffy picks with quite a few modest college bats that wont do anything and overused college pitchers.

Overall i think its been a disappointing draft in general but all it needs is two or three of these players to be really good and it can be termed a good draft in years to come.
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:

I was listening for the first 15 rounds or so but after that ive just been checking in on all the picks. Its a bit long i know but i like knowing what players i liked were picked and where and more importantly what players we can expect to see in our farm system soon.

I think today was an okay day with a few really good high upside pitchers in Bradley, Greene, Perry, Ziomek and above all Robby Rowland who i think could be the start of this draft for us. But we also got some iffy picks with quite a few modest college bats that wont do anything and overused college pitchers.

Overall i think its been a disappointing draft in general but all it needs is two or three of these players to be really good and it can be termed a good draft in years to come.

Man, don't know how some people listen to the whole draft.
I'd blow my brains out around the 20th round.

Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are some good value picks in there and I agree that you have to wait and see how some of these guys develop, but there's no denying they tanked the first rounds of this draft. It's so disappointing. I can only hope that a couple of these guys better their expectations.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:
Jdub wrote:
Colt-Back wrote:

Man, don't know how some people listen to the whole draft.
I'd blow my brains out around the 20th round.

Laughing

It can be tiring and a tad boring but i love the draft and the opportunity to see the next generation of baseball stars get selected. I dip in and out of it throughout the 50 rounds but dont listen to the whole thing.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it too. I would watch every second if i could. Every second.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

I would too. I don't know 99.999% of the people they are talking about, but it's just fascinating...

Also, I may have listened to most of it, had the talking heads at the start not ruined it by constantly talking over the conference call, then pausing after they are done talking...
Jdub
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:

I'd love it if they did the analysis throughout the draft.
Except they don't, so it gets mind numbing once they cut out to the conference call after the fifth round.

Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

I would too. I don't know 99.999% of the people they are talking about, but it's just fascinating...

Also, I may have listened to most of it, had the talking heads at the start not ruined it by constantly talking over the conference call, then pausing after they are done talking...

That was definetely annoying at the start when the analysts of MLB.com were talking over the conference call and having to wait for the pick to come up on the draft tracker, it just accentuates the tension and is not cool.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of our picks so far on day three im really high on two of them. Our 38th rounder is a very talented defensive catcher Matt Roberts from Graham HS in NC. He was projected to be a top 10 round pick so will be a tough sign away from UNC.

The other guy i like is RHP Konnor Wade from Chaparral HS in Scottsdale who is a strong bodied pitcher with room for development and very promising stuff and he too would be a tough sign away from UofA.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLaw

Quote:
Arizona Diamondbacks:
The Diamondbacks took mostly slot (or below-slot, I suppose) guys, including their Day 1 selection of Barrett Loux. Second-rounder J.R. Bradley is a prep righty with a solid to average fastball and perhaps the best control of any high school pitcher in the draft. Kevin Munson has a chance to be a good late-game reliever -- maybe more setup man than closer -- and isn't too far from the big leagues. The Diamondbacks rolled the dice on three tough signs, Vandy commit Kevin Ziomek, TCU commit Tyler Green (93 to 96 mph and a good athlete), and UNC commit Ty Linton.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=5264675
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
KLaw

Quote:
Arizona Diamondbacks:
The Diamondbacks took mostly slot (or below-slot, I suppose) guys, including their Day 1 selection of Barrett Loux. Second-rounder J.R. Bradley is a prep righty with a solid to average fastball and perhaps the best control of any high school pitcher in the draft. Kevin Munson has a chance to be a good late-game reliever -- maybe more setup man than closer -- and isn't too far from the big leagues. The Diamondbacks rolled the dice on three tough signs, Vandy commit Kevin Ziomek, TCU commit Tyler Green (93 to 96 mph and a good athlete), and UNC commit Ty Linton.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=5264675

To be fair to the dbacks this strategy of going slot or below slot for most of the picks and then hopefully going over slot for some high upside tough to sign picks makes a lot of sense. This way you create savings early on that can be used as extra incentive to sign players with tough commitments like Ty Linton. It should be very interesting this year to see who the Dbacks actually end up signing.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Dre wrote:
KLaw

Quote:
Arizona Diamondbacks:

To be fair to the dbacks this strategy of going slot or below slot for most of the picks and then hopefully going over slot for some high upside tough to sign picks makes a lot of sense. This way you create savings early on that can be used as extra incentive to sign players with tough commitments like Ty Linton. It should be very interesting this year to see who the Dbacks actually end up signing.

So, with the draft concluded, does this strategy they pulled off make the "EPIC FAIL" attitude that polluted this thread seem a little reactionary? Or is it fair to justify the posts rejecting their picks?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: