Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2010 MLB Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: 2010 MLB Draft Reply with quote

Klaw looks ahead

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2009/insider/news/story?id=4253106

Quote:

The 2010 draft class isn't as stacked right now as the 2011 draft appears to be -- the latter group includes cover kid Bryce Harper as well as Sonny Gray, Alex Meyer, Hector Rendon, Gerrit Cole and Danny Hultzen. What 2010 really lacks is a clear No. 1 candidate. I could see any of at least a dozen names ending up on top of the board next June.

Quote:
College bats

Top names: Bryce Brentz (OF, Middle Tennessee State); Christian Colon (SS, Cal State Fullerton); Derek Dietrich (SS/3B, Georgia Tech); Yasmani Grandal (C, Miami); Josh Rutledge (SS, Alabama); Ross Wilson (3B, Alabama); Blake Forsythe (C, Tennessee); Leon Landry (OF, LSU); Andy Wilkins (1B, Arkansas); Micah Gibbs (C, LSU).

Quote:
College arms

Top names: Anthony Ranaudo (RHP, LSU); Justin Grimm (RHP, Georgia); Drew Pomeranz (LHP, Ole Miss); Nick Tepesch (RHP, Missouri); Matt Harvey (RHP, UNC); Kevin Rhoderick (RHP, Oregon State); Josh Osich (LHP, Oregon State); Kyle Blair (RHP, San Diego); Chris Hernandez (LHP, Miami); Brandon Workman (RHP, Texas); Chad Bettis (RHP, Texas Tech); Alex Wimmers (RHP, Ohio State).

Quote:
High school bats

Top names: Trey Griffin (OF, Martin Luther King HS, Stockbridge, Ga.); Austin Wilson (Harvard-Westlake School, Los Angeles); Kris Bryant (SS/3B, Bonanza HS, Las Vegas); Krey Bratsen (OF, Bryan HS, Texas); Nick Castellanos (3B, Archbishop McCarthy HS, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.); Yordy Cabrera (SS/RHP, Lakeland HS, Fla.); Reggie Golden (Wetumpka HS, Ala.); Taylor Lindsay (OF, Desert Mountain HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.); Marcus Littlewood (SS, Pineview HS, St. George, Utah).

Quote:
High school arms

Top names: A.J. Cole (RHP, Oveido HS, Fla.); Jameson Taillon (RHP, The Woodlands HS, Spring, Texas); Stetson Allie, (RHP/SS, St. Edward HS, Cleveland); Zach Lee (RHP, McKinney HS, Texas); Justin O'Connor (RHP/SS, Cowan HS, Ind.); Kevin Gausman (RHP, Grandview HS, Aurora, Colo.); Rudy Acosta (RHP, Mount Miguel HS, San Diego); Cam Bedrosian (RHP, East Coweta HS, Sharpsburg, Ga.).
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 MLB Draft Reply with quote

Dre wrote:

Quote:
High school bats

Top names: Trey Griffin (OF, Martin Luther King HS, Stockbridge, Ga.); Austin Wilson (Harvard-Westlake School, Los Angeles); Kris Bryant (SS/3B, Bonanza HS, Las Vegas); Krey Bratsen (OF, Bryan HS, Texas); Nick Castellanos (3B, Archbishop McCarthy HS, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.); Yordy Cabrera (SS/RHP, Lakeland HS, Fla.); Reggie Golden (Wetumpka HS, Ala.); Taylor Lindsay (OF, Desert Mountain HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.); Marcus Littlewood (SS, Pineview HS, St. George, Utah).

MLB drafts keep getting more and more surreal. First some kid named Harper becomes the first hyped superstar that's ever actually been younger than me, and now a guy I go to school with is one of K-Law's "Top Names" Laughing

Guess I gotta find more time to catch more Varsity Wolves games this season. Maybe do a bit of scouting on a guy I already know for the Diamondbacks Wink
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until the "younger than you" list gets longer than the "older than you" list. I'm at the point now where the list of MLB'ers older than me is growing very short. I hear it's a sobering day when there are no players older than you. I'm hoping Tim Wakefield pitches until he's 60.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio Franco was the last to go on my "older than" list.
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geezers Laughing btw i'm 30 so i'm getting up there also Sad

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow and I was whining about Justin Upton being younger than me Laughing
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a gem from theonion for you guys. Laughing

Middle-Age Center Provides Safe, Positive Place For Fortysomethings To Go After Work
Roadrunner
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryce Harper enrolls in a Nevada JC....

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/48018907.html
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:

Wow.
Now there's a reason to want the top pick in 2010!
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

Wow.
Now there's a reason to want the top pick in 2010!

Nationals are already setting aside cash for another record breaking bonus
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryce Harper would be the only reason I'd be OK with finishing towards the bottom -- if not last -- this year.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tom_verducci/06/16/bryce.harper/index.html?eref=sihpT1
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely start the fire-sale... We can catch DC!
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the South Park episode where both teams try to lose.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just the bottom 15 teams in the NBA each season...
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on yahoo sports that Boras is going to be his agent.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
I read on yahoo sports that Boras is going to be his agent.

I believe you are right, im pretty sure Boras is going to be his agent.

I dont think we are gonna catch the Nats, no matter how much worse we get, as the Nats are on another level of sucktitude that we might not be able to reach. They are currently 16-42 and are on pace for a 42-120 record and tough we maybe the NL West equivalent of the Nats i just dont see us coming near that type of record.

However we are the second worst team in baseball right now and if do get the second pick next year there might a minute chance that Harper might be there Surprised . OK hear me out first. The Nats are gonna spend a record bonus on signing Strasburg this year, something that might total a third of their normal budget. You'll have to imagine it will cost a similar amount if not more then that to potentially sign Harper next year which could be too much for them. Here's where we come in Very Happy ! . If we get rid of some salary in the form of moving Garland, Davis, Lopez, Tracy etc and dont spend much in the offseason we just might create a draft budget that might snag Harper if he ever fell. If this scenario comes true, you'll have the guy who you can re-build this ball-club around with further talent in the minors and the likes of Haren, Parker, Scherzer and Upton to complete the team

I know this highly impropable, largely because Bryce Harper is probably the biggest cant miss talent so far and the Nats would get slated everywhere and lose the last few fans they have if they did not draft him. However we can only live in hope because this team sure is not giving us much else.

One thing is undoubtable, we have to start selling now.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great, but my only concern is...assuming it takes Harper 2-3 years to reach the Majors, by then Upton will already have used 5 years of club control. Would that be before his arbitration years? Or would some of that include his arbitration years? Im asking because wouldnt that leave us with only a couple years window before Upton leaves for FA? The Haren deal would only have 2 years left (I think) too.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Thats great, but my only concern is...assuming it takes Harper 2-3 years to reach the Majors, by then Upton will already have used 5 years of club control. Would that be before his arbitration years? Or would some of that include his arbitration years? Im asking because wouldnt that leave us with only a couple years window before Upton leaves for FA? The Haren deal would only have 2 years left (I think) too.

To be honest i was only speculating, Justin, but if the case scenario that i created above would come true you would hope that a team with that talent i.e Harper, Haren, Scherzer, Parker, Upton etc would be really competitive and would make the likes of Upton, Haren etc consider signing extension with the club. This would obviously include the clubs revenues increasing regularly to afford the extensions of these players which is plausible with the type of success that COULD come with club being succesful for a number of years. Also the above scenario would hope that the likes of Borchering (if he signs), Davdison and Pollock also becoming valuable contributors.

Like i said before the scenario has too many variables to even be considered plausible so at the end of the day its just speculation at the moment.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far all the hype has been a bit about Bryce Harper but there is another a Super Stud prospect that is getting overlooked in this and that is the beast that is Jameson Taillon. The big Texas right-hander has star quality written all over him and he could be easily be the second pick behind Harper next season.

Taillon (i believe it is pronounced TAY-on) apparently has a great pitchers build, standing at 6'7 and weighing in at 230 with an electric whip like arm. and has tremendous stuff already. He is already sitting in at around 94-96 which has very good life on it, combined with a downright nasty change-up that according to some scouts is almost spike like. To go with this he already has an above average buckling curveball with sharp late break.

Taillon has an awesome arm to go with very good good command of all his pitches and a prototypical stud pitchers build and delivery. I remember reading last fall that he was already being touted about as the number #1 pick in the 2010 draft, but Harper's availability with the GED saga, Taillon could now be the consensus number #2 pick behind Harper. This is another tremendous reason to hope that we sell the likes of Garland, Davis, Lopez etc so that we can cement a a top 2 pick so that we at least get a great shot at the best pitcher in next years draft.

Jameson Taillon could just be the next stud of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Padres seem to be angling for that #2 pick already...
Their camp fire sale started with Gerut and Hairston.
It'll turn into a full blown sage brush fire soon...

Jeff Moorad may think the world of his players,
but he sure as hell doesn't want to pay them squat
unless he pays them to do squat (cue: El Flipperino)
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AFLAC All-American Game just ended from out in San Diego. Daron and Craig Biggio were out there calling the game, and it was a lot of fun. Couple of my half-asleep notes:

- Bryce Harper's got a cannon for an arm, but that full-throttle swing of his did him no good today. He looked overpowered and fooled by the top HS pitching competition, and it really made me start to wonder if he would be able to keep such a violent swing like the one he touts as he moves up levels.

- Jameson Taillon is the real deal. It's too bad that the game works like an All-Star Game and he only pitched two innings, because he had the entire East lineup handcuffed. He's very very special.

- Kaleb Cowart has an absolutely vicious arm out at the hot corner. He's one heck of a pitcher and an even better hitter, judging by his HS stats from last year, and is now one of the guys I'm really going to be looking at. Also a switch-hitter, getting him in the '10 draft might complement this year's pick of Borchering quite well, although I know Bobby would prefer to stay at 3B than move over to 1st.

- Tony Wolters, who won the game MVP and has a verbal agreement to play for the USD Toreros, looks like a (slightly) taller David Eckstein out there. Has a good shot at being one of those fun scrappy guys everyone loves seeing play ball.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
The AFLAC All-American Game just ended from out in San Diego. Daron and Craig Biggio were out there calling the game, and it was a lot of fun. Couple of my half-asleep notes:

- Bryce Harper's got a cannon for an arm, but that full-throttle swing of his did him no good today. He looked overpowered and fooled by the top HS pitching competition, and it really made me start to wonder if he would be able to keep such a violent swing like the one he touts as he moves up levels.

- Jameson Taillon is the real deal. It's too bad that the game works like an All-Star Game and he only pitched two innings, because he had the entire East lineup handcuffed. He's very very special.

- Kaleb Cowart has an absolutely vicious arm out at the hot corner. He's one heck of a pitcher and an even better hitter, judging by his HS stats from last year, and is now one of the guys I'm really going to be looking at. Also a switch-hitter, getting him in the '10 draft might complement this year's pick of Borchering quite well, although I know Bobby would prefer to stay at 3B than move over to 1st.

- Tony Wolters, who won the game MVP and has a verbal agreement to play for the USD Toreros, looks like a (slightly) taller David Eckstein out there. Has a good shot at being one of those fun scrappy guys everyone loves seeing play ball.

I saw a couple of Harpers swings. Not a fan - based on those couple swings.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:

Anybody else here think that Taillon has a lot of similarities to Stephen Strasburg in terms of body, wind-up and delivery?

It could just be me but have look at the following two videos and see if any of you think that there is a similarity there.

Jameson Taillon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-tqBvBFj0

Stephen Strasburg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4COcLZgmFyk&feature=related

Dont they look quite similar?

BTW the more i see that Taillon the more the guy is looking like a beast. He seems to have just about everything you could ever want in a big power pitcher. We could be seeing the development of a really special player here.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taillon has more of a Dan Haren-esque lift, and Strasburg hesitates toward the plate a little bit, and how he produces the velo he does is beyond me, b/c he's frankly always a tick late when he plants his front foot. As a result, he looks like much more of an arm-thrower than Taillon -- who, by the way, throws a much easier 96-97 -- which makes me wonder about Strasburg's arm durability.

They generally are pretty similar, though. Not much of tall-and-fall guys; more in the style of bucking the knee to level out immediately after lift and throwing through a flat plane, as opposed to a falling plane. Taillon could probably utilize a falling plane better than Strasburg can, as Taillon just seems considerably taller on the hill, despite being only a few inches taller than Stras.

What I find amazing is that Taillon looks and produces at levels similar to Strasburg, and he's only 18. When Strasburg was 18, he was (evidently) overweight and just another righty with a fastball sitting in the 90's. It'll be interesting to see from here on out...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: