Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo4net wrote:
Grace: "Byrnes needs some love" Rolling Eyes

Then let him return to the place known for the Summer of Love in '67
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out all day, and this is the first I've heard of this! I'M LOVING IT!! Not just for the good-for-DBacks/bad-for-Dodgers angle, but because my FIL--a lifelong Dodger fan--is coming over tonight! This is gonna be fun!
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
I've been out all day, and this is the first I've heard of this! I'M LOVING IT!! Not just for the good-for-DBacks/bad-for-Dodgers angle, but because my FIL--a lifelong Dodger fan--is coming over tonight! This is gonna be fun!

Don't say something you'll later regret! Unless, of course, you don't want to stay married! Very Happy
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny better go see a real Dr. Soon. Shocked

It is difficult to imagine what "condition" Manny Ramirez was being treated for that required this peculiar hormonal agent that is going to cost him a reported $7.5M in salary benefits from the Dodgers (likely to eventually be made up by the doctor's malpractice insurance carrier). It is also impossible to imagine that this was not a malicious attempt to circumvent MLB's banned drug policy. The only source of this agent being found in a male's urine is a hormone producing germ cell tumor (e.g., testicular cancer). Manny: you better get an alfa-fetoprotein serum level and see a real doctor for a complete genital exam and testicular ultrasound.

http://www.mlbnewsonline.com/
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a kick out of reading Dodger Blues right now. Talk about overreacting:

Quote:
KazIshii'sFracturedSkull wrote:

this is the worst news i have ever woken up to, worst than 9/11

Quote:
Giants fan in exile wrote:

BREAKING NEWS - Los Angeles, CA

The fires in Santa Barbara have mysteriously spread into the Greater Los Angeles on Thursday, despite the fact that the prevailing winds are blowing in the opposite direction.

Further investigation has revealed that the fires are a result of scores of Dodger fans burning their Manny Ramirez jerseys.

No word yet if Ramirez's trademark dreadlocks have caught fire.

I'm just glad there's no obscenity blocker on Firefox, or every other word would be blacked out!
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
Dewberry
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The MLBPA was initially opposed to random steroid testing, claiming it to be a violation of the privacy of players. However, after enormous negative publicity surrounding the alleged or actual involvement of several star players in the BALCO steroid scandal, the players dropped their opposition to a steroid testing program and developed a consensus that favored testing. Under pressure from US Congress which had threatened to pass a law if the MLB's drug policy was not strengthened, the baseball union agreed in 2005 to a stricter policy that would include 50-game, 100-game, and lifetime suspensions.[5]

IMO the union let everyone down. someone has to protect the players from themselves.

i like the suspension,no excuses
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers will welcome back Manny

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers management, initially "sick" and "saddened" with the stunning early Thursday morning news that Manny Ramirez had been suspended 50 games for taking performance-enhancing drugs, stressed that he will be welcomed back after his time is served.

"Who hasn't done something we wish we hadn't done?" asked Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. "Had he dismissed it or acted like it was somebody else's fault, I'd have a hard time with it. He took ownership of what transpired. That speaks to the man. Admit your mistake in a public forum, that's not easy to do."
bosoxhater
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo4net wrote:
Dodgers will welcome back Manny

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers management, initially "sick" and "saddened" with the stunning early Thursday morning news that Manny Ramirez had been suspended 50 games for taking performance-enhancing drugs, stressed that he will be welcomed back after his time is served.

"Who hasn't done something we wish we hadn't done?" asked Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. "Had he dismissed it or acted like it was somebody else's fault, I'd have a hard time with it. He took ownership of what transpired. That speaks to the man. Admit your mistake in a public forum, that's not easy to do."

Wha??? His statement blamed a doctor and then griped that the "policy" made it his responsibility.

I'm not saying that they should or should not welcome him back, but let's not praise the guy for giving the same type of BS excuse that everybody gives in these situations.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought: Since Manny could return by July 3, he could start the All-Star Game, right?
TSWINDERS
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile Dodgers just blew a 6-run lead against the nats
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this suspension is the largest (money wise) ever. Anyone know?
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XB3 wrote:

I'd guess yes
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
Here's a thought: Since Manny could return by July 3, he could start the All-Star Game, right?

Yes...
Chris24YoungFan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XB3 wrote:

The way his contract is structured Manny will lose the money over the course of 4 years. I think FOX said LA will get back 2.7 mil this season.
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
Deadman wrote:
at this point, anyone can beat Washington. hell, a little league team can be the Nationals, theyre THAT bad

Will be interested to see what you post about our Dbacks when they lose at least one of the three games this weekend then... Wink

With the Dbacks about to lose to the "little league" Nationals team for the 2nd consecutive night.... what say you now, Deadman??
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Jenkins / San Francisco Chronicle today wrote:
For Giants fans reveling in the Dodgers' misfortune, it's delightful enough to watch Manny Ramirez draw a 50-game drug suspension. As for Ramirez' pathetically weak stance since then -- that's pure gravy.

The first thing Man-Ram had to do, after the bad news came down, was walk into the Dodger clubhouse. He needed to have a private talk with manager Joe Torre, then stand before his teammates and let them know, "Hey, I screwed up big-time, but I'll be back in July. You guys keep it together, know that I'm behind you, and we'll kick some butt when I get back."

Instead, nothing. Word came down yesterday that Dodger owner Frank McCourt is furious not only over the suspension, but Manny's virtual disappearance. I can see where Ramirez would be embarrassed. He was caught for using a women's fertility drug, for cryin' out loud. That's not only a sure sign of someone coming off a steroid cycle, but someone who needs to restore his manhood. But humiliation isn't an excuse when you have an obligation to your teammates.

"I don't think addressing the team is necessary," said Torre, and there's another sad installment of this saga. One of the game's most respected managers is forced into a lie.
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
He was caught for using a women's fertility drug, for cryin' out loud.

So now we can call him Wo-Man-Ram?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XB3 wrote:
TAP wrote:
He was caught for using a women's fertility drug, for cryin' out loud.

So now we can call him Wo-Man-Ram?

To bad the Giants didnt land him, then he could have become pregnant!
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty interesting panel discussion at ESPN for those that may have missed it. Its included with the following article.

ESPN
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld:

Manny Ramirez-OF-Dodgers May. 12 - 10:24 am et

According to the L.A. Times, Manny Ramirez abruptly dropped an appeal of his 50-game suspension after realizing that Major League Baseball had his medical records.
The records showed his prescription of human chorionic gonadotrophin, a substance banned by MLB policy. Teams are required to release medical records under the league's new performance-enhancing drug prevention program and Manny was basically cornered. He hasn't spoken publicly since the punishment was levied.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090514

Quote:
Those Manny Ramirez one-liners were flying this week, so here come the best of the late-night Manny quips:

Third prize: From Jay Leno: "Manny Ramirez got some good news over the weekend. It seems he has taken so many female hormones, he can now legally celebrate Mother's Day."

Second prize: From David Letterman: "The Dodgers are saying they became suspicious a couple of weeks ago when Manny missed a game because he had to go to a Lamaze class."

First prize: From Jay Leno: "Manny Ramirez is being suspended for 50 games for taking a banned substance believed to be a woman's fertility drug. While some people are calling it a suspension, Manny's calling it maternity leave."

Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest on Manny.
bryantee
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
The latest on Manny.

Poor guy. Sad
Dewberry
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manny apologizes to teammates
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewberry wrote:
manny apologizes to teammates

"I'm really really sorry I got caught."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: