Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
Manny has a 20M option for next year. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. Will LA try to void it? Will they welcome him back like nothing happened?

Hell get "quietly released" ala Kendrick style Rolling Eyes

Giambi Pettitte and other didn't get released so don't assume Manny will

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeninboston
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Dodgers just free up $8 million to spend on other salary? Or do they have to spend all that on image-restoring marketing initiatives?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterx wrote:
Justin wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
Manny has a 20M option for next year. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. Will LA try to void it? Will they welcome him back like nothing happened?

Hell get "quietly released" ala Kendrick style Rolling Eyes

Giambi Pettitte and other didn't get released so don't assume Manny will

Do I have to write SARCASM every time I post? This has gotten old.

Last edited by Justin on Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeninboston wrote:
Did the Dodgers just free up $8 million to spend on other salary? Or do they have to spend all that on image-restoring marketing initiatives?

Neyer goes with the Manny getting suspended is good for the organiztion approach

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sweetspot/0-2-32/MannyLand-takes-50-games-off.html

Quote:
You know what's really interesting about all of this? Manny's suspension might be a good thing for the Dodgers. At the moment, they've got a huge lead in the National League West, and it's not at all apparent that anyone else in the division is going to finish appreciably over .500. So the Dodgers can live without Manny for 50 games and they're going to save nearly $8 million in salary and Manny figures to be exceptionally well-rested for the second half of the season and (presumably) the postseason.

I don't mean to suggest that today's news is welcome, or should cause jumps for joy anywhere (except perhaps in Phoenix and San Francisco). The sky, though, is not falling.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilcoop3k wrote:
Does anyone know if Sildenafil citrate is a banned drug in baseball?

Well it does help to get better wood on the ball. Laughing
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-ramirezsuspension050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Looks like Manny wasn't quite manly in the bedroom
bwonger06
Oops! Blocked by Moorad! Back to Reno!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-ramirezsuspension050709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I just heard from ESPN's first and 10 that he tested positive for something that boost testosterone after a cycle of steroid (i think it was called htc?).

EDIT: Nevermind... it is called HCG per ESPN.
jaronson86
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article isn't fully correct. He was using a WOMEN's fertility drug. It is commonly used to cover up steroids. It will be interesting to see how he tries to wiggle out of this because it will come out exactly what he was using, my guess is HGH.
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilcoop3k wrote:
Does anyone know if Sildenafil citrate is a banned drug in baseball?

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/info/cba.jsp

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeninboston wrote:

Did anyone see that there were only 31K at the game against the DBacks the other day, that was also a history-making game?

For all the talk about how bad D-backs fans are, that was pretty unimpressive for LA.

I think McCourt pockets that money.
DouXer4ouR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a surprise, 50 games is plenty of time for the D-Backs to try to get on top of the West.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DouXer4ouR wrote:
Well this is a surprise, 50 games is plenty of time for the D-Backs to try to get on top of the West.

With Haren, Upton, Davis, Reynolds, Lopez, Ojeda, Scherzer, and Garland. Who plays the other positions?
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DouXer4ouR wrote:

not as much time as you think... you figure if the wheels fall off for the Dodgers... worst case scenario, they go 20-30

I haven't seen this DBacks team capable of going 30-20, 29-21, or 28-22 to get back in it, especially without Webb.

It certainly opens up the race a bit... but we're gonna have to start winning to get back in this thing. Even then, there's 80 Mannyful games left after that.
Deadman
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeninboston wrote:
Deadman wrote:
jeninboston wrote:
The official announcement that's expected later today will tell us what drug(s) he tested positive for, yes? Or does that always just come out through leaks and the rumor mill?

Edit: wait, I guess it has to be steroids if first offense is a 50-game suspension. So never mind.

no it doesnt, it just has to be any substance banned under the substance abuse policy
Really? That's what I get for turning to Wikipedia, which says first offense for other prohibited substances is 15-30 day suspension or up to $10k fine; it would have to be a second offense (which is punished with a 30-90 day suspension/fine up to $50k) to suspend him 50. But a positive steroid test is a 50 day suspension for 1st offense.

so youre one of the few that believe wikipedia? lol
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
DouXer4ouR wrote:

With Haren, Upton, Davis, Reynolds, Lopez, Ojeda, Scherzer, and Garland. Who plays the other positions?

Well Drew is coming back, we need his bat and defense, Webb will be back before then, we need his arm, and CY is gonna have to get it going.
sb24ws2005
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosoxhater wrote:
MLB Network keeps making the point that this aspect of it is getting so old. The CBA is clear on what is banned, the team doctors should be looking over anything that a private doctor prescribes a player. The idea that he didn't know or that he trusted his personal doctor and didn't think to run it past team doctors seems disingenuous at best.

Absolutely agree.
Ghost of Lewis Grizzard
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate False Hope Rally for the Diamondbacks here.

Without Manny, the Dodgers are still better than the Diamondbacks unfortunately.
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLB Players Association comment

"The Players Association stands behind Manny and will continue to support him in any way we can."

Translated: "We told Manny's union rep the date of his drug test. We're not sure how Manny screwed this up, but we did everything in our power to help him clean up beforehand and not get caught."
Lilcoop3k
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is, doctors in this country anyway. would not normally prescribe that drug unless it was specifically asked for by the patient or there was some underlying testosterone problem, which by the looks of him there doesnt seem to be one apparent. I also doubt very much that he suffers from hypoestrogen. But the effects on this drug if used in a certain way can be used to your advantage, but in the end would increase your risk of cancer. So either this doctor was an absolute idiot or manny is covering something up.

Dre wrote:

moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DouXer4ouR wrote:

meh.... That was the pre-season theory when pundits looked at the April schedule with all those home games.
DouXer4ouR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
DouXer4ouR wrote:

meh.... That was the pre-season theory when pundits looked at the April schedule with all those home games.

Maybe so, but I really don't think the D-Backs will play this bad all season long. I think we will get it together at some point and start climbing up the standings. I hope we are playing our worse baseball of the year now, and get it out of the way, then gain some momentum and start winning consistently.
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny would have found a way to take 25 games off in the middle of the season anyway (just like he found a way to miss most of spring training, bail on the Red Sox, etc). Plus he would have loafed for at least half of the remaining 25, so the net loss to the Dodgers isn't as big as it first seems.
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TAP wrote:

Quote:
Gorfo57 wrote:
Just read the article from Fox.

Quote:
"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players' union.

"Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons."

FOX Sports

Pretty surprising that the Dodgers front office didn't do something as minor as following up the outcome of a player visiting a doctor outside of the organization and maybe running the prescription against the banned substance list.

Every cheater has a cover story. Dentist made me do it; I thought it was vitamin B12; it was the culture and I only did it for a short time; the list goes on and on.

Its total bullshit TAP. The best excuse he could come up with on short notice. He should have limited his press release to an apology. The more he opens his mouth the deeper the lie begins to run.

I can't remember who posted it, but if he tested positive in Spring Training why wasn't a suspension applied right then and there? This runs much deeper than what's broken the surface so far. It wouldn't surprise me that the entire situation that led to Manny's move to LA had nothing to do with contract and more to do with being dirty in Boston.

This is right there with BALCO and Bonds-a-Roni the San Francisco Cheat.
"It was flax seed oil."

And where was Manny's wife when he went to this Dr in Miami for the hot lay he had lined up on the road? So that he could perform.

LOL Its all total bullshit!
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha the Dr was in Florida just like Mattys dentist Wink

He took some womens drug didnt he know he could have just taken a Fruit Smoothie from Jack n Box?
Wink Laughing

How sad is it for baseball when Jose Canseco is right again Rolling Eyes
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace: "Byrnes needs some love" Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: