Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Giants Rotation: 3 CY winners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Giants Rotation: 3 CY winners Reply with quote

Lots of hype starting to mount in SF surrounding their rotation. In this article, they take a different spin on the roation, how it affects the selection of final roster spots.

Quote:
For now, signs are mixed. Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito both have worked six innings, a promising development. Matt Cain's Cactus League high is 5 2/3 innings, but he threw 90 pitches in his five-inning effort Tuesday against Arizona, showing decent arm strength. They have the wherewithal to pitch into the seventh inning and beyond. But the Giants also must consider their histories of accumulating inflated pitch counts, which inevitably shortens outings.

The Giants will watch Randy Johnson and Jonathan Sanchez carefully in their final two exhibition starts. Given Johnson's age (45), San Francisco shouldn't expect him to consume enormous quantities of innings. He lasted beyond six innings 13 times in 30 starts last season. Sanchez accomplished that feat 10 times in 29 starts. Moreover, neither Johnson, who skipped a turn due to biceps tendinitis, nor Sanchez, who couldn't build his pitch-count stamina while participating for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic, has reached five innings this spring. Johnson admitted that when he makes his next start Sunday, he'll "have to get back to where I need to be, which is four or five innings."

Hence, the Giants have used various relievers in multiple-inning stints, since they lack a true "long reliever" who easily can work three innings or more when a starter departs early. It's obvious that the Giants are sincerely trying to make an 11-man staff work, at least until the first extra-inning marathon or double-digit outburst by an opponent taxes the bullpen and necessitates adding a reliever.

Giants MLB

It would be extremely interesting if Randy has enough of a positive influence on Matt Cain that he breaks out this year and *gasp* should become a 4th CY winner on their rotation.
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With their offense, RJ will probably lead the team in hitting...
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesertKnight wrote:
With their offense, RJ will probably lead the team in hitting...

... just don't slide.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a pic of the chalk drawing on the infield dirt that Damian Miller (I think...) drew after RJ fell rounding 1st? TAPs post made that come immediately to mind. Laughing
DesertKnight
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
Anyone have a pic of the chalk drawing on the infield dirt that Damian Miller (I think...) drew after RJ fell rounding 1st? TAPs post made that come immediately to mind. Laughing

I was just looking for that! It was Grace who drew it, if I remember correctly.
...for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. (xkcd #556)
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I think TAP was referring to a fateful slide into 3rd base that may have tweaked his back.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorfo57 wrote:
Yeah, but I think TAP was referring to a fateful slide into 3rd base that may have tweaked his back.

that be it
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy looked pretty healthy in the 1st tonight at SF. 2 ks and a high fly to short CF.
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson gets win No. 297 for Giants

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—Randy Johnson yielded four hits and struck out nine over seven scoreless innings in his 297th career victory, leading the surging San Francisco Giants past the Colorado Rockies 3-2 Friday night.

Johnson (2-2) struck out the first five Rockies he faced and retired the first 11 overall in his second straight dominant home start for the Giants, who moved above .500 for the first time since April 9 with their ninth win in 12 games.

San Francisco’s bullpen nearly blew this one, however. Chris Iannetta homered to lead off the eighth, and Todd Helton added a run-scoring infield single before Giants closer Brian Wilson struck out Ryan Spilborghs with the bases loaded.

Wilson then pitched the ninth for his sixth save in seven chances.
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson gets win No. 298 for Giants

SAN FRANCISCO -- Randy Johnson struck out nine in his 298th career victory, and Randy Winn had three hits and scored three runs in the San Francisco Giants' 11-7 win over the Washington Nationals on Monday night.

Ryan Zimmerman extended his hitting streak to 29 games and went 4 for 5 with two homers for the Nationals, including a three-run shot in the ninth.

Zimmerman also hit a solo shot in the sixth off the 6-foot-10 Johnson (3-3), who yielded eight hits and four runs while outdueling 6-foot-9 Daniel Cabrera in the tallest pitching matchup in baseball history.

Johnson, San Francisco's 45-year-old left-hander, threw five strong innings before fading in the sixth after a long, chilly stroll around the basepaths while the Giants drew five consecutive walks and scored five unearned runs in their eighth straight victory over Washington.
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krukow talking about Zimmerman now.

"Right now his swing is perfect. He doesn't have a 2 pitch hole in it."

Talking about the opposite field HR he slammed over the wall in RF in the 9th. Krukow saying it might have been done by maybe 20 hitters over the past 10 years in SF.

He had a hell of a night at the plate. 4-5 2 HRs 4 RBIs. I'd say he looked locked in tonight. Hitting streak at 29 games.

Only Pete Rose(44) and Geroge Brett(30) have longer streaks for 3rd basemen. He's on a pretty impressive list right now.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannabe was smart enough to trade for him... Laughing
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson gets win No. 299 for Giants

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Randy Johnson earned his 299th victory with six impressive innings, yielding three hits and one run in the San Francisco Giants' 6-3 win over the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday night.

Johnson (4-4) retired the Braves' first nine hitters and 15 of the first 16 in a performance reminiscent of the Big Unit in his inimitable prime, although the 45-year-old left-hander has less power and more precision these days.

The five-time Cy Young Award winner struck out five to run his career total to 4,843, second-most in baseball history. He didn't walk a batter and allowed his only run on Casey Kotchman's RBI single in the sixth, which he finished by striking out Chipper Jones for the third time.

Johnson likely will get his first chance to become the 24th major leaguer with 300 victories next Wednesday at Washington.
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy reflected on his previous start in Seattle to begin a post game interview, mentioning he went into the Seattle start focusing on trying not to overthrow and work both sides of the plate. He said tonight he was looking to build off that start and to work both sides of the plate. He said he felt he made 2 bad pitches tonight, one being the single to Kotchman that cut the lead to 2-1.

He praised the offense and singled out Burriss and Rowand for key hits. He complemented Molina for calling a good game. Gave him credit for calling for a high fastball that he got Chipper Jones to chase for his 2nd K of the night, noting that with 1 out a sac fly would have scored the runner at 3rd. Randy considered that a key at bat.

He talked about the importance of the offense tonight. That with this team, you know the pitching is going to be there. When you can get the offense and pitching on the same page the same night its nice.

When asked if the magnitude of pitching for win 300 has hit him yet, he said it hasn't really. He mentioned that winning the World Series in Arizona was similar. That it took several days before it sunk in. He thought getting 300 will probably be the same. He said it would be nice to get #300 at home in front of ownership and fans, but those things are out of his control.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorfo57 wrote:
Randy reflected on his previous start in Seattle to begin a post game interview,

He said it would be nice to get #300 at home in front of ownership and fans, but those things are out of his control.

Do you think he was talking about us? It might just happen here. Shocked

Where's Jerry Laughing
David B
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way things are set up right now, Johnson won't get a start in the Arizona series. His next three starts will be at Washington, at Florida, and at home vs Oakland.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David B wrote:
The way things are set up right now, Johnson won't get a start in the Arizona series. His next three starts will be at Washington, at Florida, and at home vs Oakland.

my bet
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you watched it. Now that the recap includes a few quotes here it is.

Big Unit goes six strong for rain-soaked 300th win despite lengthy delays

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The emotions finally flowed for Randy Johnson when the final out was made.

A hug for his son, who was serving as batboy. Hugs for every teammate, plus a really big one for his manager. The game ball presented to his wife as his three daughters beamed with pride. A news conference that lasted a half-hour from a player who usually doesn't have much to say. Someone even spotted a smile.

The Big Unit admits he can come across as surly, and he did his best over the past few weeks to downplay his pursuit of 300 wins. Once he got there -- with a steady, six-inning performance in the San Francisco Giants' 5-1 victory over the Washington Nationals on Thursday -- he was free to express that, yes, it really is a big deal.

"I think it kind of hit me when I walked on the field," Johnson said. "It's a long-range achievement. It's not a one-game or a one-year achievement, it's a career achievement. Who knows how many teammates I've had over my 21 years, but they had a great deal to do with my success. I'm going to think about this for a long time."

Quote:
"I get more gratification out of that because of the way I'm doing it now than the way I did it 10 years ago," Johnson said.

ESPN

Also for some clips of parts of the 2 post game interviews:

csnbayarea

2 parts of the Giants post game with Krukow. 4 parts of the media post game interview. So far
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson gets win No. 300 for Giants

WASHINGTON -- Randy Johnson would have been excused Thursday night if he wanted to let down his guard a little, loosen or lighten up, or just plain relax.

Instead, he remained the quintessential Big Unit -- figuratively keep his foot on the competitive accelerator -- in the aftermath of securing his 300th career victory in the San Francisco Giants' 5-1 decision over the Washington Nationals in the first game of a doubleheader.

Johnson, who no-hit Washington for four innings and ultimately allowed an unearned run and two hits in six innings, flashed his sense of humor in a postgame news conference. But even his gags carried a hint of the fire that drove him to this point and still stokes him.

"It sounds funny, but I've played 21, 22 years, I'm 45 and I've come upon 300 wins, and I'm thinking, 'I only have 211 more to catch Cy Young,'" Johnson said, prompting laughter.

Unless Johnson finds a time machine that fits his 6-foot-10 frame and reclaims some of his youth, he's no threat to catch Young, baseball's all-time leading winner. Nevertheless, Johnson's list of accomplishments is enviable, and it grew longer with his latest triumph.

He not only became the 24th Major Leaguer to ascend to the 300-win level but also established himself as the sixth left-hander in that group.

He's the first pitcher to win his 300th game on his first try since Tom Seaver, then with the Chicago White Sox, did so in August 1985. The next six -- Phil Niekro, Don Sutton, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine -- needed multiple attempts.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Johnson also became the second-oldest pitcher to reach the 300 mark -- behind only Niekro, who achieved the feat when he was 46 years and 188 days old on Oct. 6, 1985. Johnson is 45 years and 267 days old.
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giants rotation had a heck of a series against Oakland.

Lincecum, Johnson, and Cain combined for 25 IP giving up 3 earned runs.
Lincecum shut out the A's on Friday night. Matt Cain just went to 9-1 throwing a complete game after giving up a 1st inning HR to Jack Cust in a 7-1 win for the sweep at SF.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY SANCHES! YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PERFECTO GOING THRU 7?? NO PRESSURE! ON THAT PERFECT GAME! PERFECT GAMES ARE GOOD YOU KNOW!

(the last LHP and the last in the Majors was RJ in 04...)
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 and 1/3 in the books and Juan Uribe goes down as the guy that makes an error to break the perfect game up. No hitter still.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no hitter thru 8
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 down
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaping catch at the wall by Aaron Rowand...2 down.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: