Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2009 Mobile Baybears Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
When does Mobile's season end? If anyone is going to get called up it would be after the season.

On another note, the last baseball America named Ciriaco as the best defensive ss and best arm in the Southern League.

The same day as everyone else. Sept. 7
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave out the seasonal awards last night before the game...

Best Defense: Mark Hallberg
Best Offense: Ricardo Sosa
Community Service: Matt Torra
Best Pitcher: Barry Enright
MVP: Pedro Ciriaco

The award for defense was based on Hallberg's low error total at 2B as well as his ability to play around the infield in a pinch. Plus I think since Ciriaco got the MVP we didn't want to give him two awards. A Hallberg/Ciriaco middle infield is something any pitcher should love though, they make a good double play tandem.

Also, two nights ago Evan Frey came a home run away from hitting for the cycle. In his last at bat he grounded out to end the game
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These awards are not truly reflective of who had the better seasons. Torra's numbers were better than Enright's as he won his tenth game last night and was ranked in the top 5 in most categories in the Southern league. Hallberg did not have the lowest number of errors on the team Rahl did and he made a great catch in right center last night to robb a hit and a run from Montgomery. Ciriaco had the highest batting average and stolen base total but his power numbers and rbi left much to be desired. Offensive player to Sosa was a joke as many players had better years.

Who voted or determined these awards?
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Hallberg Laughing
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks watcher wrote:
Who voted or determined these awards?

They drew the names out of a hat?

Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were simply front office awards, not organizational awards. The Dacks brass were not responsible for these. Wayne Randazzo, our broadcaster, was a prime source of the awards considerations. It was him and several other front office peoples. He's probably the only guy not on the team who watched every game this year, so he had the best opinion on who should've gotten what.

Also like I said, they probably gave awards to guys like Hallberg and Sosa even though there were better options (i.e. Ciriaco) because they didn't want to give out multiple awards to one person
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Randazzo obviously never bothered to look at the statistics when he named his favorite players.
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're taking these way too seriously, and I think Wayne and the rest of the voters made solid decisions. Keep in mind these are also crowd pleaser awards, if you tell the crowd which consists of casual baseball fans you selected a guy as best offensive player for having the best OPS and leading the team in slugging percentage it might not come off as well as saying the guy who led the team in HR and RBI was our best offensive player.
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Rico Brogna Reply with quote

The NY Times ran an article about Brogna on the 25th that stated he expects to be named the manager of the Mobile Baybears for next year.

Rico has been a scout and most recently the field coordinator for thr Diamondbacks minor league system.

This is good news for those who have watched the ineptness of the current manager of the Baybears.
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is no BayBears thread for this year, thought this would be the best place to put this...

Went to the game yesterday, my first BayBears game since I moved to the DEEP SOUTH.

Wade Miley pitched, gave up an unearned run and five hits, and of the five, had maybe two hard hits off of him in 8 innings. I think he could've gone 9, but his pitch count must've been high. I think he could be in consideration soon to make the big leagues. Not this year, and maybe not next, but he just made a ton of these guys look silly. In the 8th, he struck out a guy on a pitch so nasty, it wasn't even funny to see the poor guy try to swing at it. And apparently his AA numbers are stellar so far. I'd like to see him keep this pace up for sure.

Liked what I saw from Evan Frey, Collin Cowgill, and Bryan Byrne. Byrne had an error at first, but outside of that, he looked pretty solid there. Cowgill has some good bat speed, and had a few hits.

Ollie Linton is a guy who I was very surprised to find out about. I haven't heard of him, yet he walks up with a .313 batting average, over .400 OBP, and gets a hit, shows speed on the basepaths, and easily threw a guy out stretching a single into a double. The throw looked easier to make than Gerardo Parra makes them look.

Overall, the experience was pretty fun, typical minor league promotions every ten seconds.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: