Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2009 Mobile Baybears Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, but FWIW I've never once said that the players are in fact mailing it in. I said, in my opinion, that it simply LOOKS and SEEMS like they are mailing it in, based on the performances I've seen the last several home games. I'm not calling any players out because I can't say for sure that they are. A month and a half ago they were one of the teams to beat in the Southern League. Coughlin goes down with an injury, some minor callups/send downs are made, nothing hugely significant, and now they are playing terrible. I can't explain it. Not a whole lot has changed aside from Coughlin, but almost all of them are slumping, it's either an extreme coincidence that they have mostly all gone cold or they are just a demoralized team that is letting the constant losing get to them. They are much much better than they are right now, but for some reason they just can't shake it, and like I said earlier, I think it starts with the coaching staff and the need for more discipline in the players' work ethics.
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baybears win tonight in Birmingham and stop 10 game losing streak. The lineup looked like Hector pulled it out of a hat in an effort to stop the streak. Rahl went 4 for 5 batting 9th with a triple and 3 singles 2 rbi a run scored and 1 stolen base.
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever works. Bottom half of the lineup looks like he switched the middle of the order with the bottom of the order. Whatever it was that lit a fire under their asses, it worked. It's good to see the bats come alive like that, the bottom (which is typically the middle) of the lineup really tore it up. It's also good to see Enright give a really strong outing.

If that's what it takes to win games, keep the lineup Laughing
dbacks watcher
Journeyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan

it would be interesting to have you actually talk to the players and share your observation that they are mailing it in. i'm sure they could comment on your quote about lighting a fire under their asses.
Ncaldback
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks watcher said:
Quote:

Logan

it would be interesting to have you actually talk to the players and share your observation that they are mailing it in. i'm sure they could comment on your quote about lighting a fire under their asses.

I'd really like that...someone who has been with the team less than half the season telling any of these ballplayers there that it "looks" or "seems" like they are mailing it in! As for lighting a fire in their collective asses...Doubt that HDLC tried to do that. These players all want to win.

But Logan, if you choose to engage with the players, if your not a big guy, pick one of the littler ones...for safety sake... Smile
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that no matter how many times I try to explain my statements, you both will keep harping on "mailing it in", so I won't even bother. Sorry I even brought it up to begin with, I'll refrain from posting any more opinions about the BayBears
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice work fellas. Rolling Eyes
Ncaldback
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan:

My responses are only my opinions, based on 5 years watching 90 percent of these players. I do understand that you are giving your "perceptions."

My last post was tongue-in-cheek (note the smiley emoticon). If I offended, I apologize. Don't stop posting because of a difference of opinion! While I don't agree with your opinion, perhaps others do. At least the board benefits from "wonderous variety" (a phrase that I believe I am stealing from a Morgan Freeman movie).

Believe me, in my limited posts when I got crosswise with guys like Levski and others...I got toasted!!!
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's understandable, but I just want to go on record that I never specifically called anyone out for mailing it in. It was merely metaphorical for the way it seemed like they were playing.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ncaldback wrote:

Believe me, in my limited posts when I got crosswise with guys like Levski and others...I got toasted!!!

We toast because we love!!! Laughing Embarassed
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game last night was a heartbreaker. The BayBears were playing really well, they just fell victim to a couple of bad pitches that put the game out of reach.

Thomas Layne started for the BB. He didn't have much overpowering stuff, basically threw a fastball/sinker-change combo. His fastball/sinker sat in the mid-80's and his changeup was low high 70's. Not very powerful, but he worked his pitches well and he came out with a nice linescore. I think a lack of scouting (as he's relatively new to AA) helped him out a bit, but he seemed to control his pitches well. He was pulled on account of his pitch count, I would assume. He was at about 90 pitches when he was pulled, which is unfortunate.

They brought Josh Ellis in, who has an awesome slider, and he was doing well. They were up 2-1 before Drew Anderson hit one of the biggest home runs that Hank Aaron Stadium has probably ever seen. He just missed his spot and threw a fastball belt high inside right in his wheelhouse and he cranked it. Tied the game at 2. Oh yeah, the BB got their 2nd run on a Mark Hallberg home run, which was his only hit, but it was an important one. He's still hitting the ball really well (.317 last 10 games)

Ellis got in some trouble and they brought in Jordan Norberto to try and clean it up and he made a mess of things. He immediately gave up 2 runs to make it 4-2 Stars and eventually got out of the inning. One of those runs was credited to Ellis, bringing his ERA up to 2.20.

Norberto stayed in for the 9th and immediately K'd 2 batters, looking like he found his groove, then he hit a batter and that was followed up with a home run by Lorenzo Cain that put it out of reach, 6-3. The BB got a run in the bottom of the 9th. Rahl took 2nd and 3rd uncontested after raching base on a walk to start the inning and scored on a ground out. But that's all they wrote.

All in all, it was a good game for the Bears. Ciriaco is hitting the ball really well lately, he's pushing that AVG up to .300 slowly but surely. He made an amazing diving stop in the grass between 3B/SS and threw the runner out. His defense is stellar, he also stole a base early in the game to give him 30 on the season. On that stolen base Evan Frey stole home. Sort of a bonehead play on the Stars part, try and throw out Ciriaco with the other speedster on 3B. Baybears took advantage of that, good baserunning.

Really the biggest let down was Norberto, who is erratic since his callup. He'll go 2 innings with no ER and 3 K's in one appearance and give up 4 runs in one inning the next. In his last 10 appearances he's thrown 12.2 innings, given up 14 H, 12 ER, 10 BB, but he's struck out 16 batters. He's got good K potential but he has terrible command at this point. The home run he gave up to Cain was served up on a silver platter... high 80's fastball, thigh high, right over the center of the plate. That's his caveat, he'll bury himself deep in the count and try and work his way back by getting his fastball over the plate, and most times it's right in the happy zone. He's got lots of potential, but it's a roller coaster ride watching him pitch. You never know if he'll stike out the side or give up a healthy serving of taters.

But yeah, Ellis' outing I'd chalk up to just not havin a feel for his pitches tonight. He's usually next to unhittable. When his slider is on it should have a cape attached to it cause it's f'n super, it just glides over the plate and looks effortless and hitters can barely touch it. Last night though he lost control of his pitches bit which caused him to try and get a FB over the plate to Anderson who made him pay.

Overall, they look like a completely different team since the last home stand. The difference is night and day, they're hitting the ball, they're playing great defense, they're making strides on the base paths, they looked really good, they just fell victim to some bad pitches that the Stars drove into the seats to put the game out of reach. Would've liked to see Layne stay in there, despite his lack of overpowering stuff, but he was throwing really well despite 4 walks, and the Stars just looked baffled at the plate. It's a shame he had to get pulled, if he had stuck it out for another innings I think the outcome would've been a little different.

Oh well, I'm optimistic for tonight's game. Razz
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fairly comprehensive report. Thanks!

How ironic is it that both the Diamondbacks and the BayBears were both close games, fell behind late, and sort of "rallied" to both lose 6-4? Shocked

Cue the Twilight Zone theme, please...
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilJuan wrote:
That's a fairly comprehensive report. ...

Ya but he left the part out about my guy Hallbergs Homerun Shocked
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
That's a fairly comprehensive report. ...

Ya but he left the part out about my guy Hallbergs Homerun Shocked

You missed this part?

Logan wrote:
Oh yeah, the BB got their 2nd run on a Mark Hallberg home run, which was his only hit, but it was an important one. He's still hitting the ball really well (.317 last 10 games)

Very Happy
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
You missed this part?

Logan wrote:
Oh yeah, the BB got their 2nd run on a Mark Hallberg home run, which was his only hit, but it was an important one. He's still hitting the ball really well (.317 last 10 games)

Very Happy

Go easy on him. He has to stand out in the sun for long periods of time, and it's obviously taking its toll! Wink Laughing
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brain is fried right now. Laughing

Great job logan Wink
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was a game we all like to see. BayBears won 7-1 last night. Wes Roemeer was lights out... 7IP 4H 0ER 5K. Great night for him and the BayBears all around.

Marcus Hallberg extended his hitting streak to 15 games with a single in the 6th inning after drawing a walk and getting hit by a pitch in his first two AB's. Ciriaco and Sosa each followed up Hallberg's hit with a pair of RBI singles to put the Bears up 3-0.

They left Roemer in to pitch through the 7th and left after 107 pitch count. I kind of wish they had left Layne in to get to 100 the night before, I think the Bears would've had a better chance at winning that one if they had. But yeah, they pulled him after 7 and Septimo came in and gave us a scare and allowed a run to score, but it ended up being useless for the Stars as the Bears put a 4 spot up in the 8th.

Evan Frey drew a walk and immediately stole 2B on a questionable call. I personally thought he was gunned but I'm guessing they got a bad tag on him and he slid in under it, they had him pegged by a mile but somehow he was called safe, must've been some quality sliding on Frey's part ot get around the tag somehow. But it was all for naught since Frey got caught stealing third the next pitch. I thought right there the game would go to the wire in the 9th since that sorta sucked the air out of the potential rally, but the Bears responded in a big way.

Hallberg hit a line drive single, and they caught a break on an error the next play (which was later overturned and gave Ciriaco a single... was totally an error though) putting runners at 1st and 2nd with one out and Ricardo Sosa hit a liner for a double scoring both Hallberg and Ciriaco. That was then followed up by a Bryan Byrne double that scored Sosa. Mercado then drew a walk and Hankerd followed up by hitting an RBI single. Rahl and Clifford then both got outs the next two at bats but the damage was done The Stars couldn't muster up any more runs against Stange who shut the door.

That's the recap. As for the performances... Roemer wound up hitting Michael Garciaparra. Whether it was in retaliation for them hitting Hallberg or not I'm not sure, but I thought benches were gonna clear. Both sides were warned, no more shenanigans ensued. But yeah Roemer had his stuff working tonight. Whenever he got in a jam he would get big outs to get him out of trouble, usually in the form of a a couple infield pop ups.

Mercado picked off a runner at first in the first inning after a 0-1 pitch. Mercado really seems like he has a leadership quality about him when he's on the field, almost Varitek-esque.

Hallberg is still on a roll hitting in 15 straight. If he keeps up this pace it wouldn't shock me if he gets called up in September (just my opinion). He's really just hitting damn near everything. When you're on fire, you're on fire, and he's most definitely on fire.

Big game for Sosa, too. 3 RBI, 1 on a two out bloop single and 2 on a 1 out double to start the scoring in the 8th. Before the team was slumping, Sosa really had a knack for coming up with big hits. While they were in their funk he just looked confused at the plate, but he looks just like he did when I first got here, like he knows the score and he goes up to the plate with the intent to drive in runs like it's his mission more so than it's his option.

Overall the team is just playing extremely good right now. I know their record over the past several games doesn't suggest it, but the way they've played over the last two games of this homestand compared to the last two games f the last homestand is like night and day. It's like a "Who is this team and what have they done with the BayBears?" kind of situation. They are looking really really good. Unfortunately their magic number right now is 10 till they get eliminated from their playoff chances. They'd pretty much have to win damn near all of their games while the teams ahead of them lose most of theirs in order to make the playoffs. The way they're playing it wouldn't surprise me if they make a run at it on their end, but the chances of the whole situation working out for them is slim.

Anyways, Torra is slated to go tonight, hopefully he's not gonna put out a result like his last home start, which was terrifyingly bad. The offense seems to have put it together though, should be interesting to watch Smile
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great updates logan... thanks so much.
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem. I'd post them after the game, but we only have night games left and most of the time we have to show up at 9AM and we usually get out by 11PM so we're working 14 our shifts a lot of the time. When we come in at noon we're still working 11 hour shifts more or less, so we're all beat by the end of the game, lol
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the same from the boys last night. Torra was sharp through 7 giving up 1 and Evan Frey had a late inning 2-rbi triple to put the game out of reach.

Also Hallberg extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a 1st inning double.

Pretty much everything I've said about the team the past two games remains true, they are like a team reborn and they look tough to beat. It's a shame they have a minuscule chance of making the playoffs, because the team we've been watching the past few days would be tough to beat. They are playing inspired baseball, coming up with big hits in the late innings and getting key outs when they need them while making solid plays in the field to save runs. I'm telling you they look great right now.

Torra's outing was superb. No walks, one earned run, 6 strikeouts in 7 innings. It definitely was better than his previous home outing, to say the least (knocked around for 12 runs, 7 earned). His stuff was really good, and despite his fastball only being clocked around 88-89 most of the night, he struck some guys out on it and it looks way faster than the radar indicated... looked (and sounded) more like 92-94 in that range somewhere.

Ciriaco went 1-for-1 as a pinch hitter and as a result bumoed his AVG up to .297 and put himself in the 9th place in the Southern League batting average race. Desmond Jennings' AVG will eventually be null and void since he's in AAA now so he's essentially 8th in the SL. It just keeps rising. We're fully expecting him to finish at .300 or better before the season is over, he's been hitting the ball really well, especially since Hector had moved him to the 3-spot (mostly out of necessity due to Coughlin's injury and Hallberg's hot streak). Ciriaco looks like he has the frame to develop a little more power than he's been putting out over the course of his career, but I'm sure he's being conditioned to be a lead off type hitter because of his position and speed.

Either way they've just been playing extremely well. They're really fun to watch right now. Tonight might be a little rocky since Cody Evans is starting, but the offense has been fantastic lately so it could be a high scoring affair on both ends, tonight. It'd be nice to see Evans have a good outing though, he's struggled a lot this season and with the recent string of success the rest of the BayBears seem to be having it'd suck to see him struggle some more.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
Also Hallberg extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a 1st inning double. .

The kid is on fire right now. Would love to see what he can do here in September Wink
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real quick blurb...

Cody Evans had a spectacular outing... 5 innings 0 earned runs. The BayBears won 1-0 on the strength of their pitching. They scored the run via sac fly, so it was the complete opposite of my prediction, lol.

Mark Hallberg extended his hitting streak to 17 games, Shadow Smile

Roque Mercedes pitched two innings and didn't give up a run which was great because he was doing really bad. The pitching has just been other worldly this homestand. Kudos to the staff and also to Dan Carlson the pitching coach.

Oh, and Evan Frey likes to cuss a lot when he gets frustrated with himself Smile
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan wrote:
Real quick blurb...

Mark Hallberg extended his hitting streak to 17 games, Shadow Smile

Like I said kid is on FIRE Wink
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streak is over Sad
Logan
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan Byrne should not be placed at 3B. For some reason Hector keeps putting him at 3B to help rest Sosa. I'm guessing Byrne is the only other player on the team with 3B experience, because they keep putting him there whenever Sosa doesn't play. You can tell Byrne is not meant for 3B. I think the last 3 times he was placed there at home, he made at least one error each time, costly errors at that. I know it's probably to give Sosa some rest, but Byrne just isn't meant for 3B.

I bring this up because things were going relatively well last night before we gave up some errors and then the pitchers lost as little control as a result.

Augenstein looked really good. Gave up an early run, but for the most part was good. He made Mike Stanton look silly twice. Then they brought in Cody Evans in relief and he ended up giving up a home run to Klosterman. He didn't miss his spot, Klosterman just got osme good wood pon it and hit it just over the wall. Evans caught a break against Stanton though. He left a hanging breaking ball right down the middle and he just got under it and popped it up, luckily. He took a big hack at it, if he hit the sweet spot that would've gone a mile.

Stanton got the best of Septimo though. Septimo didn't have it last night. Stanton hit an effortless looking 2-run triple. Septimo grooved a FB low and down the middle and Stanton smoked it... hit the bottom of the right center field wall. That was followed up by a Scott Cousins triple that he threw in the exact same spot Stanton got his. Septimo was bad last night. They brought him in with 2 outs and he promptly gave up a walk, 2 triples, and a single before getting the third out... gave up 4 runs.

Also, this brought their tragic number to 0. With that loss we are officially out of the playoff race Sad

Oh, and Mike Stanton is a mammoth. Walked by him by the visitors clubhouse when he was wearing his under armour training gear... the kid is jacked... 6'5" 210... pure muscle. He's going to crush the majors whenever he's ready. The triple he torched that hitthe bottom of the wall out near center field looked like a love tap
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: