Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
props to Derrick Hall and the Diamondbacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Hope you had a great birthday Mr Hall!

x2!!
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day late, but Happy Birthday none the less!
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Belated Happy Birthday to Derrick!
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays boston globe lists

Larry Lucchino
Andy MacPhail
Bob DuPuy
Rob Manfred

As names to replace Bud Boy after 2012.

Where the hell is DH's name? I want baseball to move forward not backwards with these tired old dinosaur names.

The globe says the owners are going to let Buddy boy make the pick.

Sad really.

Crying or Very sad
Oden
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Joe Jr either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Todays boston globe lists

Larry Lucchino
Andy MacPhail
Bob DuPuy
Rob Manfred

As names to replace Bud Boy after 2012.

Where the hell is DH's name? I want baseball to move forward not backwards with these tired old dinosaur names.

The globe says the owners are going to let Buddy boy make the pick.

Sad really.

Crying or Very sad

The guy who once turned down Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada for (I think) David Wells? Laughing Theres a link/thread to that somewhere here, the trade was in 1995. Anyone remmeber what Im talking about?

edit- looked into it, apparently it was Jim Bowden that turned it down. Oh well.
Chris24YoungFan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move by Hall tonight..

Someone fouled a ball off back behind the plate (forget the player) and it hit someone and I think hurt them?...Derrick immediately went up to see if the person was alright and then went back down, got a game ball and gave it to the person.

Derrick Hall is the best.
dhall
Team President and CEO

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bloody lip on that one! I always fear the worst. Thanks.
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris24YoungFan wrote:
Good move by Hall tonight..

Someone fouled a ball off back behind the plate (forget the player) and it hit someone and I think hurt them?...Derrick immediately went up to see if the person was alright and then went back down, got a game ball and gave it to the person.

Derrick Hall is the best.

I saw that last night! He got up to make sure everything was all right immediately, and like you said went down to the dbacks dugout to get a ball to give to the injured fan. I also noticed him get up once or twice to eye in the direction of a foul ball to make sure no one else got hurt, great work on behalf of our President Smile
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always scary to see those balls flaming towards someone...
several years ago I had a near miss at TEP on the first row above the dugout. It went whizzing by right in front of my face. That close there is very little reaction time-
Good response DH!!
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I support DH in most of the moves he's made for the Club - besides the spring training debacle Wink - if there is an organization-wide review as he states it, is it solely the ownership group reviewing his performance? What are the criteria for a job-well-done? Keeping the organizational train on the tracks? Avoiding personal issues making their way to the newspapers?

He's been a great public face for the org, at least in Maricopa, and he's good on the in-game interviews, says all the right things, etc., but for the new uni's, improvement in "ballpark experience", and average ticket prices at or near the bottom of the league, the highest attendance we've had under his watch ranked 15th in the league, coming off a divisional crown in 2008, and it's trending downward.

As John Wooden said, "Never mistake activity for achievement."
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did DHall have to do with the team's firings today? Does he have a respected voice with the owners, or is he just their face/puppet?
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
How much did DHall have to do with the team's firings today? Does he have a respected voice with the owners, or is he just their face/puppet?

I don't know if he's their puppet but he can surely suck it right now.
Otacon
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Team president Derrick Hall called the dismissals "a first and major step in the re-evaluation of our team."

By the looks of it, he had some to a lot of input.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for Gibby this would feel like a tailspin...
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who really knows? DHall is an excellent face for the organization, and understands how to market and sell the team. It sure had to be frustrating to sell the product that was out there. Does DHall realize that the primary problem isn't the FO, or Webb's injury, or the players, but that ridiculous payroll for a team that is in a pretty big media market?

My guess is this is Kendrick all the way. He's got a history of meddling in places where he doesn't have a clue. When West Virginia's prima donna coach Rich Rodriguez demanded a new contract, Ken intervened to get him one. When Rich-Rod pushed for control over things (allowing players to keep and sell textbooks, game passes to boosters, his own web-site) that would have exposed the university to possible NCAA violations, Ken jumped in and said that the University should just let this great coach do what ever he wanted, as they were lucky to have Rich.

When the univerisity said no, Rich jumped ship to Michigan, and Ken ripped the university for lack of leadership. Then he ripped their hire of a popular assistant coach, Bill Stewart, calling him "over-matched" and expressing his fear for the future of the program.

Bill Stewart is 19-8 in 2 years, has won 2, and lost 1 bowl game, without any NCAA investigations of his program.

At Michigan, Rich Rodriguez is 8-16 in 2 years. He has 25 point home losses to conference teams each year, no bowl games and is 1-5 vs. Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan State. His one groundbreaking accomplishment is leading the the team to the first major NCAA violations in the program's history, admitted to by the school itself. And to top it off, the NCAA has opened an investigation into Rich's tenure at West Virginia.

Ken Kendrick is an idiot, not qualified to run a taco stand.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, Josh... Wink
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: something was rotten in Denmark. I don't think it's Kendrick.

(Paid for by the Coalition to Not Blame Kendrick)
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:

Don't misconstrue me as blaming Kendrick for the NCAA violations, just for being a clueless, arrogant guy who thinks he knows how to pick football coaches. He is now applying that same mixture of no fear and arrogance to trying to find some mediocre MLB exec dumb enough to take his sorry GM offer.
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otacon wrote:
"Team president Derrick Hall called the dismissals "a first and major step in the re-evaluation of our team."

By the looks of it, he had some to a lot of input.

So it's the blind leading the blind?
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
B. O. N. D. wrote:

Don't misconstrue me as blaming Kendrick for the NCAA violations, just for being a clueless, arrogant guy who thinks he knows how to pick football coaches. He is now applying that same mixture of no fear and arrogance to trying to find some mediocre MLB exec dumb enough to take his sorry GM offer.

I'll take it. And since we're discussing it, half of the "improvements to ballpark experience" were suggestions I've been advocating for years, UPTOWN just being the most recent example of a ballpark improvement idea that was borrowed from somebody else without giving credit to the source.

I've long supported DHall and several of the improvements since his promotion, but what is he really contributing to the team? He just conducted a severley detrimental move to the organizations foundation, only excusable if it was a move to save his job as well, but how admirable is that?
Bobster
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it doesn't matter how man "improvements to ballpark experience" you make if the team stinks.

"wow, we really stunk tonight, i can't believe we gave we gave up 4 runs in the 8th to blow that lead - but wow! did you see the giant-headed diamondbacks legends race?!! that made it all worthwhile!"
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro wrote:
The thing about firing Byrnes is, you can point to a half-dozen moves that didnít work out, point to the win-loss record, and you have your justification for the decision. But I donít think thatís why he got fired. I think it came down to the fact that his relationship with President/CEO Derrick Hall had become entirely unmanageable.

dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro wrote:
*Would any of this have happened if Brandon Webb hadnít gotten hurt? Would Bob Melvin still be the manager? I really donít think Webbís name gets mentioned nearly enough when we talk about whatís gone wrong with this team. This is a guy who, from 2006-2008, was every bit as good as C.C. Sabathia and Johan Santana in those same years. He basically was what Ubaldo Jimenez is today. And where would the Rockies be without Jimenez? Theyíre 15-1 when Ubaldo starts and 26-36 in games started by everybody else.

Exactly. JB and Hinch were fired by DHall because the team couldn't absorb the loss of their best SP.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro wrote:
Hall said Friday he regrets not having engaged Byrnes earlier upon becoming CEO.

"I think I could have spent more time with Josh," he said. "Unfortunately, the way we were set up before, that was the way that we were structured, the way we practiced our business. It was awkward and uncomfortable for me. That's no one's fault but mine. I think Josh certainly wanted me to be a part of it, to listen more and learn more from them and ask the right questions, challenge them."

I imagine DHall told JB to fire his manager, JB told him that wasn't the position of the baseball operations department, and that was that.

Aside from the embarrassment of the Club CEO's inability to identify or resolve organizational structure issues that limited his own ability to interact with other departments, I think it is bad form to publicly speculate to the local newspaper on the thoughts/wishes of the guy you just fired. Particularly after just admitting to professional short-comings that apparently had as much to do with the reasons for the termination as anything.

This bad season just got worse.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: