Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck
 
 Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tucson Toros
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Tucson Toros Reply with quote

Former Toronto Bluejays manager, Tim Johnson, has been named the first manager of the expansion Tucson Toros. They are an Independent Professional League Baseball team. Their season starts on May 21st, at Hi Corbett field in Tucson. (um...the Rockies are complaining that Hi Corbett needs renovations because its old..why choose that site, unless Zucker plans on renovating it).

Heres a quote from him that made me laugh.
Quote:
Zucker......His intensions are to return Tucson to the glory days of baseball when the ballpark was filled with enthusiastic fans.
Rolling Eyes


Site I got the info from: http://emol.org/tucsontoros/

Official Site: http://www.tucsontoros.com/
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
misterx
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 8523
Location: do you really care

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for him as long as there is no more war stories
_________________


Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 8062
Location: San Francisco

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Tucson.

I'm so glad I didn't move down there as planned. I love the city, but losing the Sidewinders and now Spring Training probably, I would be HATING it. Toros will be sorta cool and all buuuuut... Confused
_________________
Thank you, God, for Gibby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 765

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, if Tucson wouldn't support the AAA team of the Dbacks, why in the hell will they support an independent league team?
Because the baseball is better?
Because the atmosphere is going to be more excititng?

I hardly think so...
_________________
"There is NO crying in baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deweyniner
Everyday Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 663

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, folks might show up if they'd have advertised.


How come Zucker's advertising the Toros (I've heard more about the Toros in the past three months than I've heard of the Sidewinders in 4 years) and he didn't advertise the Sidewinders?
_________________
"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."--Thomas Paine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deweyniner wrote:

How come Zucker's advertising the Toros (I've heard more about the Toros in the past three months than I've heard of the Sidewinders in 4 years) and he didn't advertise the Sidewinders?


Ask Derrick Hall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
dirtygary
Hall of Famer


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 4760
Location: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sidewinders advertised all over. There is just a limited fan base for minor-league baseball there, AAA or IL.

Although the Toros weren't drawing well at Hi Corbett Field, changing the team name from Toros to Sidewinders when they moved to TEP was a mistake. It was like trying to build a whole new fan base, instead of building on the 30 years of the Toros being in the community.
_________________
Lute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deweyniner
Everyday Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 663

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
The Sidewinders advertised all over. There is just a limited fan base for minor-league baseball there, AAA or IL.

Although the Toros weren't drawing well at Hi Corbett Field, changing the team name from Toros to Sidewinders when they moved to TEP was a mistake. It was like trying to build a whole new fan base, instead of building on the 30 years of the Toros being in the community.


Let's face the facts. It's Tucson. If it doesn't have to do with the UofA, it's a hard sell.

I've lived here the last 4 years, and very rarely heard any advertising.

Then again, I'm not the kind of person that a baseball team needs to advertise to. I will find a game to go watch, when I have time.

With the Sidewinders gone, and the Toros 'moving' to Hi Corbett, and the White Sox departure for Goodyear, it sucks that there won't be the chance to watch future DBacks, but there is a silver lining.

With Reid Park still closed as of this moment to anyone other than the Rockies, the Sox departure has opened up the Kino South fields for the local amateurs. Normally, we can't get on there between October and the end of ST. With the Duke Wood Bat league now having games at the Kino South fields, it gets us off the city fields (Jesse Owens, Santa Rita, Palo Verde, Udall, Murrietta) and on to nicer fields.

Granted MABL/MSBL leagues don't start until ST is over, and those are normally at Kino North and South, so, that will be normal.

If Reid doesn't open up before the first week of April to City play, not sure where we're going to play then. Don't know what the City is going to do then. The majority of Kino Fields arent lighted.
_________________
"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."--Thomas Paine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think anyone actually cares, but Im updating this.

Ed Vosberg to be the pitching coach and Pete LaCock to be the hitting coach. The Toros schedule has been announced. First pitch will be at 7pm on May 21 against the Chico Outlaws.

KOLD
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 5271
Location: Sonoran desert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
I dont think anyone actually cares, but Im updating this.

Ed Vosberg to be the pitching coach and Pete LaCock to be the hitting coach. The Toros schedule has been announced. First pitch will be at 7pm on May 21 against the Chico Outlaws.

KOLD


I care. Thanks for the update.
_________________
I have become comfortably numb.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Justin wrote:
I dont think anyone actually cares, but Im updating this.

Ed Vosberg to be the pitching coach and Pete LaCock to be the hitting coach. The Toros schedule has been announced. First pitch will be at 7pm on May 21 against the Chico Outlaws.

KOLD


I care. Thanks for the update.

I think deep down inside, we all do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just happy Peter Marshalls son has a job Laughing
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Im just happy Peter Marshalls son has a job Laughing

I'll take Nanette Fabray in center square for the win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilJuan
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 13940
Location: The carpark outside Milliways

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Im just happy Peter Marshalls son has a job Laughing

I'll take Nanette Fabray in center square for the win.


Good one! Laughing
_________________
New Regime: SOS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having baseball in Tucson this week SUCKS!

Hit the Derby yesterday and had a nice $$$ day at the races in Sonoita today but what and I going to do the rest of the week?

Drink beer and hang out by the pool?
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 765

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you coulda gone to TEP anyway today- there was Jello Wrestlin'-
Wooooo Hooooooo!!!
Great use for the now abandoned ballpark- you know- Jello and Monster Truck rallies Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
_________________
"There is NO crying in baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Not having baseball in Tucson this week SUCKS!

Hit the Derby yesterday and had a nice $$$ day at the races in Sonoita today but what and I going to do the rest of the week?

Drink beer and hang out by the pool?


Hold on while I play a tune on the world's smallest violin for you... Laughing
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great use for the ballpark. Rolling Eyes

Ill be at opening day for the Toros game. And Im sure many more games to come. I would generally go to about twice as many Sidewinders games than I would Dbacks games. I know its independent (low A skilled players right?) league but still...
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Not having baseball in Tucson this week SUCKS!

Hit the Derby yesterday and had a nice $$$ day at the races in Sonoita today but what and I going to do the rest of the week?

Drink beer and hang out by the pool?

Hold on while I play a tune on the world's smallest violin for you... Laughing

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
levski wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
Not having baseball in Tucson this week SUCKS!

Hit the Derby yesterday and had a nice $$$ day at the races in Sonoita today but what and I going to do the rest of the week?

Drink beer and hang out by the pool?

Hold on while I play a tune on the world's smallest violin for you... Laughing




"Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you tonight."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXiKClqEJgU
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys keep those violins ready when the DBACKS are 10 back and its 120 degrees out at the old ballpark Wink
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
You guys keep those violins ready when the DBACKS are 10 back and its 120 degrees out at the old ballpark Wink

If AZ loses its 2 games in LA and 2 games in SD this week and LA then wins its 2 games against the Nationals, we'll be 10.5 games out and hosting the worst team in baseball - the Nationals - this weekend with forecast calling for above 100 temps. We'll keep the violins out for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:
You guys keep those violins ready when the DBACKS are 10 back and its 120 degrees out at the old ballpark Wink

If AZ loses its 2 games in LA and 2 games in SD this week and LA then wins its 2 games against the Nationals, we'll be 10.5 games out and hosting the worst team in baseball - the Nationals - this weekend with forecast calling for above 100 temps. We'll keep the violins out for you.


Ya but I got Augie, Augie, Augie, OY, OY, OY on the cover and they have fireworks on friday night, and nifty sportsbag giveaways on saturday night and you always have a chance to watch Flipper POP up and do a flip or two Wink
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preliminary 40 man roster was released by the Toros. Although this is incomplete for some reason.
http://www.tucsontoros.com/thetorose/roster/index.html

Jason Jacome and Emiliano Fruto are names that stand out.

The will be playing an exhibition schedule to get the 40 man down to a 22 man roster. Opening day is May 21.
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the roster again, no additions but 2 names I hadnt noticed before Dustin Yount (Any relation to Robin Yount?) and Mark Rosen (obviously a former dback farmhand).
_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4&feature=related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



visitors since April 13, 2006.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group