Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2009 South Bend Silver Hawks thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: 2009 South Bend Silver Hawks thread Reply with quote

OurSportsCentral.com this morning wrote:
SOUTH BEND, IN - The Arizona Diamondbacks and South Bend Silver Hawks have announced that Mark Haley will return as skipper of the Silver Hawks for the 2009 season. Haley enters his sixth year as a minor league skipper and fifth year with the Silver Hawks.

Last season, Haley led the Silver Hawks to a second half Eastern Division title and Midwest League Championship appearance. The Silver Hawks finished the 2008 regular season with a record of 76-63. The full coaching staff will return for the 2009 season.
RDD
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very excited to have Hales back.

Also, Erik Sabel. Almost all of our pitchers performed well last year. Let's see if Sabes can keep it rolling.

A side note, I am currently undecided on whether I will continue working for the Hawks next year. If I do not work for the team, I doubt that I will have the tidbits of inside info that I usually am able to share here.
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatUTalkinAboutWillus? I noticed under the Internships, they are looking for a PA Announcer... is Coke going to be there? I vied for a position but decision making kept getting moved back.

I opted not to get season tickets this year as I have no idea where I will be once the season starts, my current job assignment ends the end of this week. If I'm not working in/around South Bend, there may be a chance I may only be a weekend fan.

Dave

RDD wrote:
A side note, I am currently undecided on whether I will continue working for the Hawks next year. If I do not work for the team, I doubt that I will have the tidbits of inside info that I usually am able to share here.

RDD
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time investment is really getting to me. The extra cash used to be nice, but with my new job, it isn't as vital as it was when I started out there. Now, if I want to go to a couple of games a week, my budget isn't so tight that I need to work there.

I think I will offer to substitute, as I can fill any of the 5 pressbox duties without training, and that way I can still be around the ballpark, as I enjoy the people there, but not miss every second day of my family's life.

As far as I know, Coke will still be the PA guy most of the time, but there might be a handful of games that he doesnt do. Kinda like the end of the season last year.

The internship posting I saw is for the Marketing and Promotions intern (a post formerly held by Mia, I think you know her). Probably no actual PA announcing has to be done by the intern. This person assists with the gameday personnel that fall in the Marketing department (Hawks squad, Swoop, and press box). I think that with good people, it takes an all-new pressbox crew about a half a season to "get it", if all of the people are quality. Once they get to the point where they really understand what they need to do, the marketing intern doesn't need to deal with the pressbox guys much.

Once a pressbox crew gets into their second season of doing the job, they really make the marketing intern's life easier I think, because they are almost completely hands-off and can even bail the intern out some.

Wow, quite the simple post got long. Anyhow, that is that. Dave, I dropped the myspace page, but you can still text me if you ever need anything.

Hope to see you in the spring sometime. I might be in the pressbox, I might be a part-time resident in 105 too.
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for Dave, and anyone else that likes my Hawks insider info that I come up with here and there...

I will be back with the Hawks pressbox staff in '09. I wont be working every single game like I did last year, but I am still shooting for 75% of the home games. Working all of them is just too draining with a regular 9-5 and a wife and two small kids to take care of.
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the late response, I couldn't figure out my password. Good to have you back! I see Mia has been promoted to Employee, Kirk called me and told me they are not hiring any employee positions for 2009 so... I'm out.

Due to the job situation, I have no idea what I will be doing in regards to games. if I work in Warsaw or Fort Wayne, chances are, I won't be going to too many games.

As long as we can pass the new Bylaws, I will probably be running a "Take 'Em Out To The Ball Park" promotion through the booster club in which we take charities out to a game. I'm pushing that but if that does not come to fruition, I will probably just attend a few games... HOWEVER... the hawks website was just updates, 140 games will be broadcast on the radio! so... I can stay tuned in.

Dave

RDD wrote:
An update for Dave, and anyone else that likes my Hawks insider info that I come up with here and there...

I will be back with the Hawks pressbox staff in '09. I wont be working every single game like I did last year, but I am still shooting for 75% of the home games. Working all of them is just too draining with a regular 9-5 and a wife and two small kids to take care of.

TAP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro / The Arizona Republic Friday night wrote:
RHP Trevor Hardenís first start was a mixed bag. He took the loss, giving up three runs on eight hits. But you have to like his zero walks and eight strikeouts in five innings.
DaveK
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitching looks good despite the 0-3 start.

I'll post more later when I am settled in... heading to Chicago tonight.

Dave
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro / The Arizona Republic tonight wrote:
LHP Wade Miley gave up two runs (one earned) in five innings in his first start as a professional. Miley was a supplemental first round pick last season, No. 43 overall, out of Southeastern Louisiana. In that same game, DH Alfredo Marte and SS Rey Navarro each had two hits. On Saturday, Marte had two more hits Ė two of South Bendís four hits in a 5-0 loss.
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro / The Arizona Republic tonight wrote:
Keep an eye on:

Alfredo Marte, Alberto Diaz & Isaias Asencio: Itís often not the easiest transition for Latin position players to shift into their first full season and thatís especially true when theyíre coming to a cold weather environment like South Bend. So the Diamondbacks will show patience with this trio, knowing that any or all have the ability to have a breakout season.

Trevor Harden: After putting together the most eye-opening debut of the í08 draft class, heíll open the season at the top of the South Bend rotation. Harden throws his fastball at 89-92 and he also features a plus changeup and a curveball.

Wade Miley: The club wasnít as aggressive with Miley as it was with Bryan Shaw, who also is a college pitcher from last yearís draft class but will start the year in Visalia. The club has Miley working on refining his delivery and wants him to be in position to have some success. If that happens, the team wonít hesitate to move him.

Sleepers:

Ryan Cook: Before last season at USC, some saw him going in the top five or six rounds. But he posted a 5.11 ERA and the Diamondbacks selected in the 27th round then tracked his progress after the draft in a college summer league. They decided he was worth going over-slot to sign. He has tools that are indicative of a power pitcher, including a fastball that sits 91-92 mph and touches 95 with heavy sink. He also has a slider and a change-up.

Ryan Babineau: The Diamondbacks love his catch-and-throw skills and say he has a good idea of how to call a game. Though his offensive game is well behind his defense, the club believes he has some potential with the bat.
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Piecoro / The Arizona Republic today wrote:
The Silver Hawks could scratch across only two runs in support of LHP Wade Miley, who had pretty solid results: 5 2/3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 7 K. Great Lakes won on a walkoff single in the bottom of the ninth.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Nick Piecoro / The Arizona Republic wrote:
The Silver Hawks could scratch across only two runs in support of LHP Wade Miley,

Finally! A pitcher in the farm system is being prepared for what will likely be his fate if/when he makes it to the Show!

Laughing
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld.com today wrote:
19-year-old Reynaldo Navarro doubled twice and tripled Wednesday for low Single-A South Bend.

The Diamondbacks like Navarro a lot, but they couldn't have been expecting a whole lot from him in his full-season debut after he hit .254/.303/.343 in the Pioneer League the last two years. Surprisingly, he's off to a .343/.395/.486 start through 35 at-bats. Navarro is a switch-hitter with pretty good speed. The Diamondbacks will keep him at shortstop for now, but it's possible that he'll be their second baseman someday.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
19-year-old Reynaldo Navarro doubled twice and tripled Wednesday for low Single-A South Bend.

The Diamondbacks like Navarro a lot, but they couldn't have been expecting a whole lot from him in his full-season debut after he hit .254/.303/.343 in the Pioneer League the last two years. Surprisingly, he's off to a .343/.395/.486 start through 35 at-bats. Navarro is a switch-hitter with pretty good speed. The Diamondbacks will keep him at shortstop for now, but it's possible that he'll be their second baseman someday.

wouldn't you want to keep your GOOD defensive shortstop at... well, shortstop?
TAP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
TAP wrote:

Maybe Josh thinks Drew will extend?
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Hawks Sweep Lugnuts in Doubleheader
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
levski wrote:
TAP wrote:

And that negates my point how?
TAP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
TAP wrote:
levski wrote:
TAP wrote:

If Drew were to sign a lengthy extension, would you then move Drew to 2nd or trade Navarro when Navarro's ready for the show? Not likely that Drew's extending, but stranger things have happened.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
levski wrote:
TAP wrote:
levski wrote:
TAP wrote:

If Drew were to sign a lengthy extension, would you then move Drew to 2nd or trade Navarro when Navarro's ready for the show? Not likely that Drew's extending, but stranger things have happened.

I'd have the better defensive shortstop play at shortstop
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld.com tonight wrote:
Trevor Harden tossed a seven-inning shutout in the first game of low Single-A South Bend's doubleheader on Tuesday.

Harden is looking like a steal after being drafted in the 14th round out of New Mexico Junior College last year. Because of his excellent command, he could have a career as a third or fourth starter in the majors. He could progress to high-A ball before much longer.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Rotoworld.com tonight wrote:
Trevor Harden tossed a seven-inning shutout in the first game of low Single-A South Bend's doubleheader on Tuesday.

Harden is looking like a steal after being drafted in the 14th round out of New Mexico Junior College last year. Because of his excellent command, he could have a career as a third or fourth starter in the majors. He could progress to high-A ball before much longer.

I had Harden pegged as a sleeper coming into this season. Am pulling for him.

Would be nice to have Haren and Harden in the rotation one day Laughing
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Would be nice to have Haren and Harden in the rotation one day Laughing

It's less amazing than you think. Just ask Billy Beane Wink
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jarrod's older brother Justin Parker's numbers so far this season in South Bend?!

Not too shabby...
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
DaveK
AAA Stud

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
How about Jarrod's older brother Justin Parker's numbers so far this season in South Bend?!

Not too shabby...

Where is RDD?
Before I answer your questions, let me just add that I was on the Radio with Owen Serey "Voice of the Silver Hawks" for two whole innings Tuesday evening. It was a blast. We discussed some of the moves, how AJ Hinch was adding his personal touch to the team. I mentioned that I thought Gerardo Parra was one of the guys who should be moved up (and off air I mentioned the crowded outfield situation) BOOM- Parra moved up that very night. I never knew AJ listened to the Silver Hawks games.

The Trevor Harden move was surprising, well, we have come to expect that anyone who is 5-1 will be moved up quickly. But it was surprising as his Dad came to watch him pitch, he got in Saturday night? and they had to leave Sunday!

Justin Parker just had a hitting streak come to an end, he's been awesome. I asked his parents if they had any more sons! Brendan Duffy reminds me of Joey Side (2007) as he has crashed into the same spots in the fence as Side did.

Rey Navarro- I haven't seen a solid glove from him. It could be that it is early in the season, who knows.

Ramon Ramirez has had a hot bat, a surprising hot bat.

Daniel Vasquez- his era is high but he looks sharp.

Ryan Cook is looking good as a starting pitcher.

The last few years we got off to slow starts in South Bend, we have been a 2nd half team. This year we are off to a decent start, 8-2 I believe on the current home stand. I know there are many things that can happen and the biggest of which are player moves but I think we have a great team here in South Bend.

Dave
RDD
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am around Dave. Just haven't had a lot to add.

You pretty much hit the high notes, but I have to say that Trevor Harden being moved up was not much of a surprise. Bryan Augenstein moving from AA to the Majors created a domino effect of guys moving up to fill starting rotations.

Parker missed several days with the flu during the middle of that streak, making it even more impressive.

Navarro comes as advertised. He makes some really spectacular plays with the glove, but kicks some routine ones.

The biggest reason to believe that we might be a second half team this year is that the Dbacks have 5 of the top 35 picks in the draft this June. Add 2 dominant bats and a top-end pitcher to this team, and we are gonna be real tough.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: