Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Snyder/Montero Chronicles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep Hester only if a catcher is going to be used as the DH, just in case of course. But then again, I see no reason Augie Ojeda is still on the roster. I would assume if Roberts shows he has a pulse, and Abreu is ready to return, then Ojeda's days are numbered.
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Hinch say something about using Roberts as an emergency catcher?
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks_Nation wrote:
Didn't Hinch say something about using Roberts as an emergency catcher?

Last year? Yeah. I remember a game last year (in Seattle, I think) where Snyder started at DH, Montero C and Roberts 3B,
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLB text message wrote:
The D-backs reinstated C Miguel Montero (sprained right knee, torn meniscus) from the 15-day DL and optioned C John Hester to Triple! Reno
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
MLB text message wrote:
The D-backs reinstated C Miguel Montero (sprained right knee, torn meniscus) from the 15-day DL and optioned C John Hester to Triple! Reno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure this was in the game thread...

WOW - Miggy LIGHTING up Valverde... I like to see it... Some fire...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/06/18/20100618arizona-diamondbacks-drop-opener-detroit-tigers.html

Quote:
"He's a (bleeping) (bleep)," Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero said.

As he has been doing all year since signing as a free agent with Detroit in the off-season, Valverde slammed the door with authority in the ninth inning, needing just six pitches (all strikes) to retire the side in order.

And as always, he reacted emphatically to his success. After he struck out Montero with a splitter for the second out of the ninth, he bent down and hopped from the dirt of the mound to the grass.

"The way he acts, it's not right, you know?" Montero said. "You've got to be professional. I've always felt that way. And I've always told him. That's the way he is. I guess he thinks it's right. But I don't care."

Montero wants his message to get across to Valverde.

"You can write it down," he said. "I hope he reads it. . . .

"It's all right. We'll face him down the road at some point, and I guess I'm going to pimp it."

Montero got one more shot in at Valverde, who threw three consecutive splitters in the at-bat.

"I never suspected that," Montero said. "I didn't think he had that kind of brain to throw three splits in a row. It surprised me."

Shocked Laughing
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't hear him bitching when Jose was saving 47 games for us in 2007.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Didn't hear him bitching when Jose was saving 47 games for us in 2007.

Right. They were on the same team. Rolling Eyes Laughing
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Tell Montero he’s a freaking rookie and I can do whatever I want to,” Valverde said Sunday morning. “Tell him that. Put it in the papers. If he wants to do something, tell him to come to my locker and let me know.

“I never liked Montero,” he continued. “He’s a (bleeping) piece of (bleep).

D-Backs at Detroit: Nick Piecoro reports on a Miguel Montero-Jose Valverde verbal tiff turned nasty. http://tinyurl.com/27ko9m

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterx wrote:
“Tell Montero he’s a freaking rookie and I can do whatever I want to,” Valverde said Sunday morning. “Tell him that. Put it in the papers. If he wants to do something, tell him to come to my locker and let me know.

“I never liked Montero,” he continued. “He’s a (bleeping) piece of (bleep).

D-Backs at Detroit: Nick Piecoro reports on a Miguel Montero-Jose Valverde verbal tiff turned nasty. http://tinyurl.com/27ko9m

Shocked
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take 6 more years of control of Montero, if he is indeed still a rookie.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montero wrote:
"It doesn't matter if he's got eight years," Montero said. "I don't think he's got eight years because he got sent down seven or eight times. That really doesn't count. When you get sent down your major league service stops counting. He got called up in '02 and he got sent down in '02 and '03 and '04 and '05 and '06. I guess this year he was a free agent so that let me know he got six years. In four out of six years he's given up 100 runs a year. He's only had two good years in his career. So what? He's still a (bleep) to me."
jillian1
Everyday Diva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Montero wrote:
"It doesn't matter if he's got eight years," Montero said. "I don't think he's got eight years because he got sent down seven or eight times. That really doesn't count. When you get sent down your major league service stops counting. He got called up in '02 and he got sent down in '02 and '03 and '04 and '05 and '06. I guess this year he was a free agent so that let me know he got six years. In four out of six years he's given up 100 runs a year. He's only had two good years in his career. So what? He's still a (bleep) to me."

oh my!!!! wow,,how things can snowball!!

forgot to add,, there are divas in baseball???? looks like I'm not the only diva around here.. Laughing Laughing Pretty soon they'll both be demanding a fruit basket with diet pepsi instead of sunflower seeds and gatorade! Laughing
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so curious which "beeps" they used. Laughing
CoJackFan
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give props to Montero for showing some fire. I don't see anyone else doing so.
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if this all could be a big joke between the two of them. Maybe they're just pulling everyone's leg and they're really boys.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Burns says Peter Gammons reports that Jerry DiPoto called the Boston Red Sox this morning to see if a trade could be worked out for Chris Snyder.
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick lol
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the link to the story http://bit.ly/bJJ0sq

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BoSox could need Snyder next year more then they need him for the remainder of this season with Victor Martinez due back in a couple of weeks, but with them likely not resigning Marinez next year he'd be a very good fit for them next year.

Though they were not willing to deal him for Miggy in the 09 offseason i would ask for Michael Bowden considering his slightly disappointing season and the Red Sox having no spot for him in the rotation.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much authority Dipoto has, but extending Montero now would be a good move. He's Erubiel Durazo-lite.

Although I'm on the record as being against premature extensions in general, as well as supporting Snyder in the either/or scenario for the reason of being able to get more for Montero, Miguel has shown significant development in defense, poise, composure, and game management. Throw in the work ethic to recover from knee surgery, learn a second language, maintain his sweet hitting stroke, and the willingness to mix it up with opponents (Valverde, RMartin), and there could be a lot to be gained from extending him now and avoiding the potential arb cost of his break-out 25 HR/90 RBI season.

So lock him up now while his career trajectory is slightly mooted by his early "struggles" and he's hungry for some security.
ohdbacks
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to FanGraphs...Montero currently has the 45th highest trade value in all of baseball...interseting...

#45 – Miguel Montero, C, Arizona

Somewhat overlooked because he began the season on the DL, Montero has been a monster since returning to the line-up, carrying over last year’s success and then some. At 26, he’s a quality defensive catcher who can hit for power from the left side, and he’s become a more disciplined hitter as well. He now heads into the prime of his career as one of the best all around backstops in the game, and only his two remaining years of club control keep him this low on the list. Given the diminished salaries he’ll command and the value he will produce, however, he’s the kind of player that every team would covet.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Arb cost estimates for MM?

If he's at $2M this yr, a raise up to $3M-$3.5M for 2011 seems reasonable. Even though he's been mashing, he still missed a significant amount of time and won't accumulate the counting stats, nor does he have the career counting stats to warrant a larger increase.

Maybe a deal that goes:

2011: $3.5M
2012: $4.5M
2013: $6.5M
2014: $8.5M (Club Option, $1M buyout)
Total: 3yrs/$15.5M; 4yrs/$23M

For a guy that has made $3.5M total, a guaranteed $15M-$23M over the next 3-4 yrs has to sound pretty good. If he was at a different position, he may be compelled to risk it, play out his 2 more years, and go to FA. But one back injury between now and then, and he'll be lucky to get a fraction of that.

On the Club side, while the move is prematurely guaranteeing dollars to a risky position, there are no internal threats to his positional ranking within the system and it is highly likely that the Club will be negotiating arbitration salaries with him the next two years, and most likely wanting to retain his services afterward. If healthy, MM has shown potential to produce at a level that exceeds the contract, and will be viewed as a valuable player/contract to other clubs if the dbax need to get out of it.

I'm probably underestimating the dollar amounts that it would take to get a reasonable deal done, but MM has shown to be as good a bet as anybody we've developed at Catcher.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These types of deals always work out so well for us. Laughing

Seriously, because of the nature of catching, the wear and tear, injury probability, I'd go less guaranteed dollars or pass.
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the FO wouldn't argue with less guaranteed money...

The nature of the position was my primary source of trepidation. It's a position made to get injured. As an organizational strategy, I can't imagine guaranteeing big dollars to C's is at the top of the list. Maybe the Snyder deal was enough to scare the FO off from extending C's in the future, and you can't argue with 'em if that's the case.

I'd just be surprised if MM signed an extension that was less than $15M guaranteed, especially if 1 or 2 FA years are included.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: