Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Snyder/Montero Chronicles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:
I was never a believer in Montero behind the plate, I think the only reason he was left a starter is because he had a good left-handed bat. In 2009, the Diamondbacks should have attempted to convert Montero into a 1st baseman and wait until Snyder came back to health so they could use him behind the dish the same time Miggy was in the lineup.

I've always joked that a good offensive catcher is called a first baseman.

If they are that good at the plate, I don't think you should risk the wear and tear on their knees and back and everywhere else that catching ever 4 out of 5 days puts on someone.

I am amazed that Joe Mauer is still catching with the Twins after the amount of money that they gave him. It seems like a huge risk to them, but they have the DH spot too so they can get his bat in the lineup without making him catch.

It is just too demanding a position for a $100+million dollar investment, IMHO.

Step into Mike Piazza's office please.

(ok I know he sucked defensively, I jusut feel like being a smartass)
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:
I was never a believer in Montero behind the plate, I think the only reason he was left a starter is because he had a good left-handed bat. In 2009, the Diamondbacks should have attempted to convert Montero into a 1st baseman and wait until Snyder came back to health so they could use him behind the dish the same time Miggy was in the lineup.

I've always joked that a good offensive catcher is called a first baseman.

If they are that good at the plate, I don't think you should risk the wear and tear on their knees and back and everywhere else that catching ever 4 out of 5 days puts on someone.

I am amazed that Joe Mauer is still catching with the Twins after the amount of money that they gave him. It seems like a huge risk to them, but they have the DH spot too so they can get his bat in the lineup without making him catch.

It is just too demanding a position for a $100+million dollar investment, IMHO.

A catcher is valuable because he's a catcher. If you move him to first base, his value significantly decreases.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trKOR wrote:

A catcher is valuable because he's a catcher. If you move him to first base, his value significantly decreases.

Not to mention the number of passed balls will dramatically increase
stu
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
trKOR wrote:

Not to mention the number of passed balls will dramatically increase

Casey Stengel used to say that catcher was the most important position because otherwise you'd spend the game chasing balls.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont look now.... but CS19 looks like he is returning the favor on MM26... Wink
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit Tracker had the HR last night at 453ft
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Is there even a possibility that Snyder could take the job from Montero no matter what he does?

I thought Snyder's organizational advocate was fired last May.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Hit Tracker had the HR last night at 453ft

quickest off the bat so far on the season at 121 MPH edging out Heyward
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Is there even a possibility that Snyder could take the job from Montero no matter what he does?

if this team wants to win, you'd have to believe so

said it before, say it again... I'd rather move Montero if we HAVE to move one of them
dirtygary
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of them are playing well enough to deserve the job, and precedent is set that you can lose your job to injury. But Montero is cheaper (for now), and the GM obviously wants him to be the guy, so I'm expecting Montero to receive far better treatment by the Org in regaining his position than Snyder did.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:
Both of them are playing well enough to deserve the job, and precedent is set that you can lose your job to injury. But Montero is cheaper (for now), and the GM obviously wants him to be the guy, so I'm expecting Montero to receive far better treatment by the Org in regaining his position than Snyder did.

Well, for now, they should both get time based on matchups - which is really the best situation in the short term.

long term - selling high on somebody for once wouldnt be a bad idea - so if snyder has to go to BOS or NYY or wherever - now is the time to get alot in return.
Zephon
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advocate selling high on Snyder. Montero is a stud, and we have a bevy of solid catching prospects hitting well right now in Sean Coughlin, Konrad Schmidt, Rossmel Perez.

This is a chance to get a couple solid ams or restock the farm a bit.
Smokey
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One team that badly needs offense and has a huge hole at catcher and has young bullpen arms to spare that are just about ready for the majors is Seattle. Snyder for Shawn Kelley and Josh Fields would be nice--although probably a little too nice.
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth Noting

Quote:
Arizona catcher Chris Snyder has now played 215 consecutive games without an error. It's the third-longest streak in Major League history, behind Mike Redmond, who's at 248 and counting, and Mike Matheny (252)...

shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on track record, Montero usually needs a little time to get going. He needs reps. When playing part time, he was up and down. When he broke his finger in winter ball and missed spring and came back in May of 2008, he took a couple months to heat up.

My guess is he does not bounce off the trainers table with his surgically repaired knee and just jump into a groove. He'll probably need a fair amount of time to get going once he actually makes it back to the active roster.

If I am right about that, and Snyder is still healthy and hitting at the time Montero comes back, then the team will probably play the hot hand from that point forward. Just my guess.
YBC-Dog
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephon wrote:
I advocate selling high on Snyder. Montero is a stud, and we have a bevy of solid catching prospects hitting well right now in Sean Coughlin, Konrad Schmidt, Rossmel Perez.

Can you really "sell high" on Snyder? I think this is a case of fans of a team valuing a player more than other teams do.

If you wanted to sell high, wouldn't you trade Montero right now while his value has peaked?

IMO, very few teams are going to give you anything of value for a catcher with only 2 years left on their contract coming off back surgery who are still owed $10M over the next couple years.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtygary wrote:

isnt that how CS19 lost it in the first place?

qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Zephon wrote:

Can you really "sell high" on Snyder? I think this is a case of fans of a team valuing a player more than other teams do.

If you wanted to sell high, wouldn't you trade Montero right now while his value has peaked?

IMO, very few teams are going to give you anything of value for a catcher with only 2 years left on their contract coming off back surgery who are still owed $10M over the next couple years.

Maybe. Who knows. I think teams are more likely to trade for Snyder now vs in the preseason when they had no proof he could recover and play consistantly. In a couple months, he will have hopefully proven that.

Still - no one is saying he should be given away.
dbacks_Nation
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBC-Dog wrote:
Zephon wrote:

I really won't mind trading Miggy, I think Snyder is a huge piece of this team and he's been good to us for all of these years. Realistically, Snyder and Montero are very close in age so that shouldn't be too much of a factor in who to keep or not. Dealing one of them means we lose a great backup catcher, but we can gain some bullpen support.
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks_Nation wrote:
YBC-Dog wrote:
Zephon wrote:

I really won't mind trading Miggy, I think Snyder is a huge piece of this team and he's been good to us for all of these years. Realistically, Snyder and Montero are very close in age so that shouldn't be too much of a factor in who to keep or not. Dealing one of them means we lose a great backup catcher, but we can gain some bullpen support.

Nah, of the two - Montero is less expensive.
FatLeprechaun
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should just hold on to both of them. We've tried to trade Montero and Snyder in recent years but haven't been able to get fair value in return. Let's have the mentality of holding on to both. The burden is on other teams to come to us with an attractive offer.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatLeprechaun wrote:
I think we should just hold on to both of them. We've tried to trade Montero and Snyder in recent years but haven't been able to get fair value in return. Let's have the mentality of holding on to both. The burden is on other teams to come to us with an attractive offer.

The reason we couldn't get fair value for Snyder is because other teams read this board and saw what you had to say about Snyder and devalued him. Laughing
jimbo4net
Play by Play Man

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montero jogs on field for first time since injury
Quote:
ATLANTA -- Patience is hard to come by these days for Miguel Montero. The D-backs catcher is anxious to get back on the field after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, which he injured April 11.

Friday marked another step forward for Montero, as he jogged on the field for the first time since the injury. "It was just an easy jog," he said. "Did some side-to-sides, jogged a little backwards. It feels really good, actually. Obviously, it was just at a nice and easy pace, but it was nice to get out there."

Montero said he will take batting practice on the field for the first time Monday in Florida, and he hopes by the time the D-backs go on their next road trip (May 25-June 2) that he will be able to head out on a Minor League rehab assignment.

baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montero had an RBI single last night, and went 1-4 on the night. But most importantly, he caught all 9 innings.

I'd have to imagine they should be ready to call him up for this series. And at the very latest for the start of the AL road-trip, where he could play DH.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldmaga wrote:
Montero had an RBI single last night, and went 1-4 on the night. But most importantly, he caught all 9 innings.

I'd have to imagine they should be ready to call him up for this series. And at the very latest for the start of the AL road-trip, where he could play DH.

assume all is well, no set backs, no swelling.... i would think he is on the roster for BOS and DET....

hester go down? or do you keep hester as a safety net for a little while?

does not help CS19 has become ICE COLD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: