Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck
 
 Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2009 Top Dbacks prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have something positive to share regarding the Webb contract extension talks?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Do you have something positive to share regarding the Webb contract extension talks?


I'm just waiting for the next Jonathan Maurer diatribe over at TalkingChop...
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to the Dbacks top 10 list on BA is broken
It worked earlier, but now it doesn't

It appears that BA posted the DBacks top 10 list by mistake
It wasn't supposed to be posted until Jan 28th
So they took it down
Instead, the Rockies top 10 have been posted on the site
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilJuan
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 13940
Location: The carpark outside Milliways

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
The link to the Dbacks top 10 list on BA is broken
It worked earlier, but now it doesn't

It appears that BA posted the DBacks top 10 list by mistake
It wasn't supposed to be posted until Jan 28th
So they took it down


Even so, you heard it here first -- at "The Baseball Forum that doesn't Suck!" Laughing
_________________
New Regime: SOS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 5485

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that BA has both Parker and Scherzer's upside ranked above Haren.
_________________
The Original Wannabe Sheriff
2010 SHERIFF HR TICKER: 24
2010 SHERIFF RBI TICKER: 64
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA's list of Dbacks top 10 prospects is up again

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2009/267467.html
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaveK
AAA Stud


Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 69
Location: Osceola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
BA's list of Dbacks top 10 prospects is up again

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2009/267467.html


I have some mixed feelings on some of these.

Daniel Schlereth #3? While I think the kid has a freaky awesome arm, at the same time I am concerned about the health of his arm long term. Coincidentally, he's not even listed in any of the "Best Tools" categories. His Curve ball buckles knees better than Cesar Valdez. (Maybe they only give that to Starters?)

Jarrod Parker #1- Talked to his Dad a few times. Despite the fact I think he's Major League material, I still know he has some fine tuning to do.

Cesar Valdez #7 - Like the seasons, he starts off cold, gets hot and then cools off again. He's got quality stuff and I would definitely say he is top 10.

Colin Cowgill #9? - He had a sweet swing in Yakima but lost it in South Bend. The Cove was about 20'? deeper than Yakima... I'm not comfortable seeing him in the top 10 at this point.

Fastest Baserunner Ollie Linton- This was a shock. The guy is fast, I will give them that. There were times when I figured he should take off and steal a base but Haley never gave him the signal. Haley is not the type of manager who is that aggressive. 14 stolen bases, Caught 7 times (Missoula and South Bend) and a few base running lapses during his stay in South Bend... Although he may be the "fastest baserunner", he needs some work on base running. He's probably not going to get that in South Bend. He definitely covers ground in the outfield, he had some amazing catches and he's a really nice guy as well.

Dave
_________________
http://www.myspace.com/sbsilverhawks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200901293781428&c_id=ari

Interview with Schlereth
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Interesting fact about Hallberg: he was born in Saudi Arabia

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Mark%20Hallberg&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=506912

Great plate discipline as well. Maybe he's the Answer...


Go on a little winter vacation and I miss all this talk about my BOY! Wink
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveK wrote:
levski wrote:
BA's list of Dbacks top 10 prospects is up again

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2009/267467.html


I have some mixed feelings on some of these.

Daniel Schlereth #3? While I think the kid has a freaky awesome arm, at the same time I am concerned about the health of his arm long term. Coincidentally, he's not even listed in any of the "Best Tools" categories. His Curve ball buckles knees better than Cesar Valdez. (Maybe they only give that to Starters?)

Jarrod Parker #1- Talked to his Dad a few times. Despite the fact I think he's Major League material, I still know he has some fine tuning to do.

Cesar Valdez #7 - Like the seasons, he starts off cold, gets hot and then cools off again. He's got quality stuff and I would definitely say he is top 10.

Colin Cowgill #9? - He had a sweet swing in Yakima but lost it in South Bend. The Cove was about 20'? deeper than Yakima... I'm not comfortable seeing him in the top 10 at this point.

Fastest Baserunner Ollie Linton- This was a shock. The guy is fast, I will give them that. There were times when I figured he should take off and steal a base but Haley never gave him the signal. Haley is not the type of manager who is that aggressive. 14 stolen bases, Caught 7 times (Missoula and South Bend) and a few base running lapses during his stay in South Bend... Although he may be the "fastest baserunner", he needs some work on base running. He's probably not going to get that in South Bend. He definitely covers ground in the outfield, he had some amazing catches and he's a really nice guy as well.

Dave

AZ Snakepit: Fans are already looking forward to the arrival of people like Schlereth, Parker, Parra in the majors. Can you pick out a prospect who has maybe flown under the radar a little bit, but who is exciting the front office?

Josh Byrnes: Last year's breakout candidate, who maybe twelve months ago, we wouldn't have been talking about as a pretty solid prospect, but turned himself into that, is probably Cesar Valdez. He pitched very well in the Cal. league, which is a hard league to pitch in. He acclimated well to Double-A, though his season numbers were stained a bit by his last start or two, when he was a little tired. He's a great kid, he's a very good strike-thrower and he has a devastating change-up. To repeat the theme, it's hard to find starting pitchers, and Cesar Valdez has made himself a starting pitcher prospect.


From the Josh Byrnes interview on azsnakepit.com
(given 2/5/09, posted today)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oden
Hall of Famer


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 3622
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NL-only roto team wishes you hadn't posted that.
_________________
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 25953

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
My NL-only roto team wishes you hadn't posted that.

whoops Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oden
Hall of Famer


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 3622
Location: Gilbert, AZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. D-backs minor leaguers are generally overrated in our roto league, much like in life.
_________________
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oden wrote:
No worries. D-backs minor leaguers are generally overrated in our roto league, much like in life.


I like your attitude.

[Note to self: trade with Oden]
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 8878
Location: Marana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Oden wrote:
No worries. D-backs minor leaguers are generally overrated in our roto league, much like in life.


I like your attitude.

[Note to self: trade with Oden]


Maybe theyll turn into the next Morneau of Hunter Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
misterx
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 8523
Location: do you really care

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldstein has his top 100 out here are the dbacks
32. Jarrod Parker, RHP, Diamondbacks
89. Daniel Schlereth, LHP, Diamondbacks
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8506
_________________


Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7171

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
levski wrote:
Interesting fact about Hallberg: he was born in Saudi Arabia

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Mark%20Hallberg&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=506912

Great plate discipline as well. Maybe he's the Answer...


Go on a little winter vacation and I miss all this talk about my BOY! Wink


My boy didnt go on vacation he went to the Hawaian Winter League where he hit .362/423/.483 with 3 HR's, 31 RBI's and get this he was the League MVP!

Sounds like his thumb is all better Wink
_________________
I'm no longer a sellout!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dre
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 05 Jan 2007
Posts: 5179
Location: RVA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick weighs in on Vazquez

Quote:
When Esmerling Vasquez was asked this morning if he is excited for this season, he rolled his eyes a little and exhaled. He didnt really need to say anything to get his answer across.

Im very excited, he said. I feel better much than last year.

For Vasquez, 2008 was nothing short of a disaster. A year before, he was the best success story in the Diamondbacks system, gaining the attention of the organization and turning himself into a bona fide starting pitching prospect. His change-up was said to be the best in the organization, and his fastball at times reached the mid-90s. He had real promise.


More at the link

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/46484
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
dbacks watcher
Journeyman


Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 327

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball America has posted their top 100 prospects. Jarrod Parker is #29 and Gerrado Parra is #88. They are the only Diamondbacks on the list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacks watcher wrote:
Baseball America has posted their top 100 prospects. Jarrod Parker is #29 and Gerrado Parra is #88. They are the only Diamondbacks on the list.


re-posting from primer
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/baseball_america_top_100_prospects/

Quote:

Dbacks prospects in the top 100, if you can take the Haren trade back

9: Brett Anderson
29: Jarrod Parker
55: Aaron Cunningham
76: Chris Carter
88: Gerardo Parra

And they would've still had Carlos Quentin, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith
Haren is a damn good pitcher--but the Dbacks paid through their noses for him


_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dre
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 05 Jan 2007
Posts: 5179
Location: RVA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

Quote:

Dbacks prospects in the top 100, if you can take the Haren trade back

9: Brett Anderson
29: Jarrod Parker
55: Aaron Cunningham
76: Chris Carter
88: Gerardo Parra

And they would've still had Carlos Quentin, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith
Haren is a damn good pitcher--but the Dbacks paid through their noses for him



one or the other... not both Quentin and Carter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
levski wrote:

Quote:

Dbacks prospects in the top 100, if you can take the Haren trade back

9: Brett Anderson
29: Jarrod Parker
55: Aaron Cunningham
76: Chris Carter
88: Gerardo Parra

And they would've still had Carlos Quentin, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith
Haren is a damn good pitcher--but the Dbacks paid through their noses for him



one or the other... not both Quentin and Carter


details... Laughing
_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt
Face of the Franchise


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 7391

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame the loss of Quentin on the Haren trade. Q was gone, the mechanism that got him out is irrelevant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/winter-baseball/winter-wonders/2009/267688.html

Quote:

All Winter League Team

Travis Blackley, lhp, Diamondbacks: Blackley parlayed a successful trip to Mexico into a trip to the World Baseball Classic and a spring invite from the Diamondbacks.
Key stats: 55 Ks, 19 BB in 63 2⁄3 IP

Juan Gutierrez, rhp, Diamondbacks: Traded by the Astros in December 2007 and then only 5-11, 6.09 at Triple-A Tucson, Gutierrez bounced back in the Venezuelan League, leading the league in strikeouts and ranking second in ERA.
Key stats: 5-2, 2.63 with 56 Ks in 65 IP

Gerardo Parra, of, Diamondbacks: Scouts wonder if he'll hit for power at the higher levels, but Parra showed better power in Venezuela, leading the league in doubles (20) while hitting .329/.404/.504.
Key stats: 7 HRs, 36 Ks, 31 BB

_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
levski
Number Retired


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 17727

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25202

Quote:
Frank, chicago: Mr. Callis, what kind of prospect is Trevor Harden?

SportsNation Jim Callis: There are a lot of Trevor Harden and Pat Venditte questions today . . . Harden might have wound up as Miami's closer if he hadn't signed with ARizona. He had a great debut and has a plus fastball and a promising slider. I think he's a reliever in the long run.

_________________
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first call promising." Cyril Connolly, 'Enemies of Promise'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



visitors since April 13, 2006.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group