Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jeff Kent takes on Vin Scully

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Jeff Kent takes on Vin Scully Reply with quote

T.J. Simers / Los Angeles Times wrote:
This is one fight Jeff Kent isn't going to win

He's been cantankerous all week -- like that's different than any other week, but he's really been Jeff Kent ornery and then some -- peeved at anyone who might suggest he's doing better because Manny Ramirez is hitting behind him in the lineup.

It's obvious, though, everyone noticing it, Kent going into Saturday night's game hitting .500 behind Ramirez, Vin Scully mentioning it during each broadcast.

"Vin Scully talks too much," Kent said.

Ran that by Scully. He had nothing to say.

Next week, I presume, Kent will go after the Pope.

Now how would Kent know what Scully is saying? If he's playing second base, the consummate pro that he is, why is he listening to the TV or radio? How do we know he doesn't have Scully and Charley Steiner mixed up?

Then who has the problem?

"Scully is making the same point everyone else is making," I said. "He says the stats indicate you are having success hitting behind Ramirez -- tell me that isn't the case."

"It's so pathetic," he said. "You guys write about things happening in a week's time. That's why we don't like you. Baseball is a six-month game."

That might work if everyone was writing for their high school annual.

"What did I hit last year? Without Manny? How do you explain that? What's my career average? What will I be hitting at the end of this season?"

Kent hit .302 last season, a miracle, the best I can surmise.

"Manny was only hitting .300 in Boston with 20 home runs," Kent said, as a prelude to the sarcastic kicker. "And he's doing way better than that here -- so I'm helping Manny."

Some athletes motivate themselves by thinking someone is out to get them. Selecting Scully is certainly innovative.

"I've been here four years and I have never seen Vin Scully down here in the clubhouse," Kent said. "How does Vin Scully know me? How does Vin Scully know Derek Lowe?"

That prompted a whelp from Lowe, loud enough so maybe Scully might hear. "Don't get me in this one," he said. "Make it Brad Penny, or Russell Martin. Not me. I'm just sitting here watching the steeplechase. I'm not in this one."

The line grows longer. Manager Joe Torre also disagrees with Kent.

"I think it's helped him," Torre said, while aware this might draw a steely glare from Kent. "Jeff is a good enough hitter in his own right, and being a good hitter he has the patience to take advantage of a pitcher who doesn't want to walk the guy who bats ahead of Manny."

Martin couldn't handle the position ahead of Ramirez. "He didn't have the patience," Torre said, and so it's a compliment to Kent's skills as a hitter that he's being asked to bat third.

Tell that to the old donkey who won't budge on this one.

"Everyone says I'm hitting now because some guy says so on TV?" he says, and first time someone has ever called Scully "some guy."

link

For the record, Jeff Kent's number this season (Through July) before Manny joined the Dodgers:
.255/.307/.406
.713 OPS

Jeff Kent's numbers since Manny started playing for the Dodgers (August; 65 PA's):
.410/.446/.525
.971 OPS

His career a-hole ranking: off the charts
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard one anecdote from the Houston broadcasting team where Kent said that he wasn't in baseball to make any friends. When hearing that Jeff Bagwell remarked that Kent was doing a great job of that. Wink
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that such an upstanding human being like Kent needs defending but the guy has a career OPS of .856. A two week stretch with a .971 OPS is nothing new to him.

This pissant writer needs to check himself. Kent may be an asshole but he's a first ballot HOF.

T.J. Simers wrote:
Kent hit .302 last season, a miracle, the best I can surmise.

Eff you TJ. That "miracle" was a 121 OPS+, below his 123 OPS+ average.

The writer wants to take the position that lineup protection exists. If he knows half as much about his sport as he thinks he does he should know that it is debatable. But that's not how it works. Old guys get put on a pedestal because they've been around. Whatever.
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up on the T.J. attack too on Jeff's career. At this point I'd also agree Jeff's a 1st Ballot HOF'er. Whatever your view on lineup protection, there's no denying Jeff's hitting much better this year since Manny joined the team. Maybe Manny just inspired Jeff to wake up out of ego. Who knows.

When Jeff disses Vin and calls him "some guy on TV" however, he's simply showing his idiocy.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jeff probably subscribes to the thought that those who can, do. Those that can't, coach. Those that can't coach, call games. That's valid in it's own way.

My main problem is that this perpetuates the myth that someone is right because they have done it for a long time.

The truth is that he's hit a lot of singles in the past couple of weeks. He's making contact and finding holes. It's not like he's getting massive amounts of extra base hits like Manny is.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish he would make Manny wash his truck Laughing
Adam
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a Dodger game the other day and they were talking about this too. They mentioned that he must be sick of hearing that, after hearing it so much hitting in front of Bonds.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly i always thought vin talked to much during the broadcast also....

but a safe bet is that jeffy means that differently than i do......

ps
cant stand jeffy, cant wait for him to retire
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jeff Kent:
As you may or may not have noticed, the Diamondbacks are doing just fine without you because this organization does not need people like you. It matters not how great the numbers you might put up, you are the totally classless individual this organization has promised NEVER to wear the Sedona Red. I sincerely hope that the Dbacks I support will NEVER sign anyone like you, and go back on the promises that have made the great tradition that we now enjoy.
Sincerely,
The Desert Surfer
Ryan
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Kent at all as a person, obviously, but he certainly comes off as a gigantic tool.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent is right. Of course having Manny in the lineup helps. But the way Simers, Scully, and others are making it out to be, is that Kent was helpless without Manny, and thats ridiculous. Thats what he's objecting to.
TAP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
Kent is right. Of course having Manny in the lineup helps. But the way Simers, Scully, and others are making it out to be, is that Kent was helpless without Manny, and thats ridiculous. Thats what he's objecting to.

And just because you have baseball talent doesn't mean you have a clue about how to communicate effectively. Had Kent explained his concern in that manner, he would have made his point without attacking a legend.

No matter how much validity Jeff had in his concern, the only thing most people will remember from his chosen approach is that he's an @sshole.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

As a Kent owner in a NL keeper league, I agree with Scully
Kent sucked ass before Manny arrived in town
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that annoys me is that this is the standard media attack. The whole arguement is ignored and instead people get sucked into complaining that Kent called Scully 'some guy on TV' The LA Times was trolling and everyone took the bait.
Reggie Smith is my Hero
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers' record since Kent trashed Scully:

1-9
Chris24YoungFan
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Smith is my Hero wrote:
Dodgers' record since Kent trashed Scully:

1-9

Surly move.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that great clubhouse atmosphere the Dodgers have.
Gorfo57
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this fight on Celebrity Death Match
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record since he went on the DL and left the team 9-1.

He was going to join the team on the road and they told him to keep his veteran ass in LA and rehab there. Laughing
moondog
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin is simply one of the most decent guys in of all time.....besides being the best ever behind the mic (as voted by his peers). He's pure class and Jeff Kent is a friggin douche bag for even going there. Kent's a cancer. He is DEFINITELY NOT a first ballot hall of famer. He'll get in, but not on the first ballot. It would have been smarter for him to pick on some kid in a wheelchair.

The Dodgers are what, 11-1 since he left? We should only hope that he gets healthy in time to wreck the Dodgers clubhouse.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Rest of the West All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: