Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2009 MLB Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see this analysis from Baseball Prspectus posted yet, forgive me if it was.

Quote:
16. Arizona Diamondbacks
Pick: Bobby Borchering, 3B, Bishop Verot HS (FL)
KG Says: "Arizona takes Borchering at 16. He wants a little more money than this, but nothing crazy. A ton of heat in the last two weeks, and could end up being a great pick here. Really like this pick, John Hart gets it right that the defense could be an issue at third. That said, his bat, with the ability to hit for average and power from both sides of the plate, is impressive."
Read more about Borchering here.

17. Arizona Diamondbacks
Pick: A.J. Pollock, OF, Notre Dame
KG Says: "D'backs go with Pollock at 17, which for me is a significant surprise. He must of really had a killer workout for them, because other teams that he worked out for this week dinged him a bit as he showed much less power than expected."
Quotable: "For once, tonight, MLB Network hits the nail on the head with Pollock: this is a Cape Cod League-driven pick. Pollock did his job and performed well this season, but he made his name in the Cape. Pollock hit .377/.455/.556 in a league notoriously impossible on hitters. There's not a ton of upside here, but the list of hitters the played that well in the Cape and didn't perform in pro ball is awfully short."—Bryan Smith
Read more about Pollock here.

The last part of the quote on Pollock is very reassuring.
LINK
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Frank Curreri and found this on CBS Sports.

Notice the comment box beneath Player Analysis on the right side of the page Laughing
Its even dated this January.

I also noticed on his MiLB Page that although the backround shows the Aces it says, "Status: Free Agent"

Confused I was thinking that it could be a possibility that he was released preseason similar to what happened to A.J.
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the heck was I when we took Patrick Schuster?!

I LOVE this kid! I'm super super stoked about Mr. No-Hitter.
Hopefully we can sign him away from college!
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
Where the heck was I when we took Patrick Schuster?!

I LOVE this kid! I'm super super stoked about Mr. No-Hitter.
Hopefully we can sign him away from college!

Wow, Dbacks drafted that kid? Sweet.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underway again today

31st round Keith Cantwell RHP Seton Hall
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32nd

William Harvil RHP UGA

big kid 6'5" 230
Smokey
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trKOR wrote:
I didn't see this analysis from Baseball Prspectus posted yet, forgive me if it was.

Quote:
16. Arizona Diamondbacks
Pick: Bobby Borchering, 3B, Bishop Verot HS (FL)
KG Says: "Arizona takes Borchering at 16. He wants a little more money than this, but nothing crazy. A ton of heat in the last two weeks, and could end up being a great pick here. Really like this pick, John Hart gets it right that the defense could be an issue at third. That said, his bat, with the ability to hit for average and power from both sides of the plate, is impressive."
Read more about Borchering here.

17. Arizona Diamondbacks
Pick: A.J. Pollock, OF, Notre Dame
KG Says: "D'backs go with Pollock at 17, which for me is a significant surprise. He must of really had a killer workout for them, because other teams that he worked out for this week dinged him a bit as he showed much less power than expected."
Quotable: "For once, tonight, MLB Network hits the nail on the head with Pollock: this is a Cape Cod League-driven pick. Pollock did his job and performed well this season, but he made his name in the Cape. Pollock hit .377/.455/.556 in a league notoriously impossible on hitters. There's not a ton of upside here, but the list of hitters the played that well in the Cape and didn't perform in pro ball is awfully short."—Bryan Smith
Read more about Pollock here.

The last part of the quote on Pollock is very reassuring.
LINK

Also reassuring on our 3rd round pick Marc Krauss:

http://www.crescent-news.com/news/article/4139881

Quote:
MONUMENT BEACH, Mass. -- Former Patrick Henry High School standout and current Ohio University Bobcat Marc Krauss has made quite an impression this summer in the prestigious Cape Cod League.

"I got sent up here on temporary contract," explained Krauss. "A lot of kids that play in the College World Series need players to fill in for them while they're in Omaha. I was one of those guys and a lot of times those guys get sent home. Luckily I was able to get on a different team that needed an outfielder, which was Bourne. I was able to get a permanent contract from them once they saw me play."

Krauss ranks second in the Cape going into the all-star break with a .389 average. He's also just one RBI off the league-lead with 28 knocked in while leading the Cape in on-base percentage (.500). He's also third in slugging percentage at .567.

"It's definitely a pitchers' league," explained Krauss. "A lot of pitchers can bring it with the fastball. I've focused on trying to have a short swing instead of a long swing so I could make contact, because they (pitchers) are going to supply the power with their speed. I've just been trying to stay compact and have a short swing and also making sure I swing at good pitches. It's been staying disciplined and staying within myself and it's been working so far."
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1195

Quote:
Mitchell High lefthander Patrick Schuster—he of the four consecutive no-hitters this spring—finally gets drafted, by the Diamondbacks. Schuster has some funk in his delivery, but throws in the upper 80s to low 90s with a good breaking ball and finds ways to miss bats. This is lower than Schuster was expected to go based on talent, so it’s likely he’ll head to Florida, as part of their strong recruiting class.

Ron B
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'backs just drafted a kid who didn't go to school...Trevon Prince, a 6'7" 249 lb LHP from California.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just logged any interesting picks so far?

i notice we have just drafted our bullpen coach's son, Tim Sherlock.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow muhammad ali's son has just gone to the Angels as a catcher, i figured he'd take boxing but then again he might have excelled in baseball more.
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick says,
D-Backs' high picks will likely sign soon

Quote:
The club's second- and third-highest picks - Notre Dame outfielder A.J. Pollock and Yucaipa (Calif.) High third baseman Matt Davidson - appear close to signing.

Though no one is saying they have agreed to terms, there are indications that both players will sign soon.

"We're on the same page," said Nez Balelo, who is serving as Davidson's adviser. "I wouldn't say that we have a done deal, but we feel extremely comfortable with the Diamondbacks that we're going to get it done."

SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. No one's been drafted from my HS yet, which is unusual, as we were the #1 seed for our division going into the playoffs this year.

Still a little while to go...
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an FYI

Daniel Webb was picked by Toronto at pick #550 Round 18
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:
just an FYI

thanks i missed that pick and was still wondering if he was around Confused
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Dre wrote:
just an FYI

thanks i missed that pick and was still wondering if he was around Confused

poor kid could've taken AZ's offer last year and be set for awhile... instead he goes to JC and sucks and now will get 5-10% of what he was offered last year if he decides to sign.

Round 49 just wrapping up, 1 to go
trKOR
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan Sharpley? Confused Didn't he QB for Notre Dame a couple of years ago?
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else hoping strasburg wont sign - so we can draft him next year? Wink Laughing
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qudjy1 wrote:
Anyone else hoping strasburg wont sign - so we can draft him next year? Wink Laughing

Nah. Bryce Harper will get his GED next May Wink
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the full list of picks on the Dbacks mlb.com site

http://tinyurl.com/lm2yxk
qudjy1
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

Nah. Bryce Harper will get his GED next May Wink

Ah... good point. Another reason to sell now.
JoshByrnesWhenIPee
MLB Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local story on Bobby Borchering:

Quote:
At Alva Middle School, Borchering’s science projects included researching the effectiveness of baseball bats at different prices. He qualified for state with that project, concluding that cost matters less than having the right bat for your body type. He also conducted an experiment involving strobe lights and a batter’s ability to anticipate the paths of curveballs without actually seeing them. That one earned him a couple of hundred dollars in scholarship money.

“I think, as a baseball player, you have to be a little bit nuts about the game,” Borchering said.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090607/HSS03/90606036/1010/sports
kris
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Arizona would not have taken Owings 41st overall if it didn't think he would sign. It is likely that Owings and the Diamondbacks will come to an agreement and he will bypass college.

"We are supposed to start talking after I get done playing this weekend," Owings said. "It's going to take a lot of money to get me to sign, but I hope we can work something out.

"I'm fortunate to be signed with South Carolina, but I hope things go in my favor so I can be a Diamondback."

Owings did not mention an asking price but the Chicago Cubs gave the 41st overall pick in 2008 a $906,000 signing bonus, while the Diamondbacks gave their 43rd overall selection $877,000 to sign

http://www.thesunnews.com/sports/story/937056.html
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:
Matt Davidson!

I love this pick.

Sports 620 KTAR this afternoon wrote:
The Diamondbacks Saturday came to terms with infielder Matt Davidson, a supplemental first round pick and the 35th selection overall in the 2009 MLB Draft.

Davidson, 18, was drafted out of high school in Yucaipa, CA. He hit .553 with 11 HR and 45 RBI as a senior.

The newest D-back had signed a letter of intent to play baseball at the University of Southern California, but instead opted to begin his pro career.

"Definitely going 35 overall, I'm ready to go play and so excited about it," he Davidson said.

Davidson, who said his natural position is third base, is likely to start his career with the Yakima Bears, the D-backs' single-A affiliate.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:

Sports 620 KTAR this afternoon wrote:
The Diamondbacks Saturday came to terms with infielder Matt Davidson, a supplemental first round pick and the 35th selection overall in the 2009 MLB Draft.

Davidson, 18, was drafted out of high school in Yucaipa, CA. He hit .553 with 11 HR and 45 RBI as a senior.

The newest D-back had signed a letter of intent to play baseball at the University of Southern California, but instead opted to begin his pro career.

"Definitely going 35 overall, I'm ready to go play and so excited about it," he Davidson said.

Davidson, who said his natural position is third base, is likely to start his career with the Yakima Bears, the D-backs' single-A affiliate.

That's great news, this kid is an exciting pick and could be the future 1B/3B of the franchise so to get him signed up this quickly is a good sign. His early words are also encouraging as he sounds like a great kid with a great attitude who wants to start his career straightaway. Now lets get Borchering signed up to fill that other spot in the corner infield. A.J. Pollock has already indicated that he wants to sign so if we can get him signed up as well we might have our top three picks signed before the all-star break.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: