Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2009 MLB Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: 2009 MLB Draft Reply with quote

Jack Magruder / East Valley Tribune wrote:
D-Backs could restock minors with '09 picks

The D-Backs could have as many as nine of the top 75 or so picks in next June's draft because of the large number of free agents they are likely to lose this winter.

"The possibility of extra picks will be important as we rebuild depth in our farm system," D-Backs general manager Josh Byrnes said.

Dunn, Orlando Hudson, Brandon Lyon and Juan Cruz will be free agents after this season, and it is possible that none will return next year with the bump in salaries built into the free agency system.

Although the rankings will not be finalized until the end of the season, it appears certain that Dunn, Hudson and Lyon will be Type A free agents, the classification for players who are in the top 20 percent at their position.

Cruz is more likely a Type B, although he could pitch his way to Type A.

That is where the D-Backs' harvest comes in.

Teams that lose free agents are awarded draft picks as compensation, as long as the team that loses the player offers him arbitration.

A team that loses a Type A free agent receives the first-round pick from the team that signed the free agent, plus a supplemental pick between the first and second rounds.

A Type B free agent returns a supplemental pick.

So if all the D-Backs' free agents work elsewhere in 2009, Arizona will have its picks in the first two rounds plus as many as three other first-round picks.

If the signing team's pick is in the top 15, however, it is protected, and the D-Backs would get their next highest draft pick.

They also could get four more supplemental picks.

The downside of taking that many players early in the draft is the potential cost, but the major league office has implemented a slotting procedure that it strongly encourages teams to follow and makes it more affordable.

The D-Backs spent $1.33 million on their first-round pick this season, Daniel Schlereth, the 26th player selected overall.

A mid-range first rounder cost $1.6 million, and the supplemental picks averaged about $950,000.

link
baldmaga
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my beef with FA compensation.

Why is it that the top 15 picks are protected, and if a horrible team signs a player, the pick becomes a 2nd rounder?

Why can't, for example, if the team with the 7th overall pick signs a Type A Free Agent, the draft order be arranged ...4, 5, 6, 7a, 7b, 8, 9...etc.

Almost seems unfair, especially when a failed draft pick from the previous season nets a pick in the same slot. (this rule makes a bit more sense)
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about the amateur draft is fair
It's as arbitrary as any other crappy rule in baseball
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLaw

Quote:
Jonathan (Tampa, FL): The D-Backs could end up with 9 of the first 75 picks in next year's draft due to free agents walking. With that many picks do you see them going for signability guys or probability guys who will sign for slot since they have so many picks? What would you do in that scenario? They can rebuild the farm system in no time.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:22 PM ET ) I'd mix it up - you don't have to go all in one direction. Line up the players on the board in order of ability, take the best guy available with each pick, and as you go if you realize you're spending too much, then you can start dialing down towards the best guy who'll take slot. That's the rare "battlefield decision" a team should make in the draft room.

I had asked a similar question that never got posted... so I'm glad to see someone else's sneak through.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link to a site that shows what each slot is worth monetarily? It's a joke far as I know because a team is not bound to the slot value. They may catch hell from the commi$$ioner but legally, there's nothing that can stop a team from not adhering to slot value.
Far as I know, but then i always realize that someone may know something I don't.
TheDesertSurfer
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Nothing about the amateur draft is fair
It's as arbitrary as any other crappy rule in baseball

Another crappy thing is that it doesn't include Latins. Scouts from teams can scour the Caribbean looking for prospects and sign as many as they want on the spot.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Keith Law, 2009 draft is pretty shallow talent wise. Maybe not the luckiest of years to have a bunch of extra picks

Quote:
Q 5)As of now, would the 2009 Draft be classified as high on talent or low on talent? Where is the 2009 Draft deepest? Shallowest?

Low on talent. Iíve been in involved in some capacity in eight drafts (including 2009), and this might be the lightest draft in terms of high-end (first round) talent. Itís shallowest in bats, especially up the middle. Itís deepest in college starters.

Also, this hand grenade:

Quote:
Q 4) How do you think the MLB could improve the draft?

Depends on the goal. Letís not mince words: The draft is an anticompetitive, anti-player mechanism designed to screw 18- and 21-year-old kids out of millions of dollars on behalf of the billionaires who own MLB teams. It is simply disgusting, and I am nauseated whenever I read an article that states or implies that these kids should be willing to play for peanuts.

The draft isnít going away, of course, so fixing the existing system would include allowing the trading of picks, eliminating the free agent compensation system, cutting the draft to 20 rounds, and allowing players to come out after any year of college (as opposed to requiring them to complete three years or turn 21). The three-year rule is supposed to protect college baseball, but when Tim Murphy throws 144 pitches in late May for UCLA, does college baseball really deserve MLBís protection?

Link
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of that. First, they need to make the top five picks a lottery to avoid teams tanking to get the top pick. Then they need to take away the rule that allows a team to have the same pick next year if they can't come to an agreement. I also agree on the age issues.
MWS
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the only thing that seems fair is to allow free agent drafting.

Yes, you would have a team like the Yankees and Red Sox overspend on top talent for example of a player like Aaron Crow or Tim Beckham ( 15 to 20 million) but they couldn't substain that kind of spending every year because the teams cant do it now with International Players right now.

You would see some years where a club only signed 5 to 8 players at 50 million and then 15 to 20 the next year at 30 million.

It would also make scouting that much more important.

Also, the talent level itself on the field in the minors would go up because teams would pretty much not need organizational type guys because players would be getting replaced quicker.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWS hit on a key point : Such a system would probably result in a cutback of minor league teams/players. Organizations would just not need that many teams and players.

The top amateur players would make more money, but there would be far fewer "longshots" getting a chance to play minor league baseball and making it to the majors, or career minor leaguers getting their first cup of coffee when they are in their late 20's.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I like to identify a sophomore college player who's still below the radar and see how he does, at the draft and after the draft.

For the 2006 draft, I had my eye on Evan Longoria. I remember having debates with people here that Longoria was a much better guy to go after than Luke Hochevar (the seeming favorite of posters here). Of course, Evan went too high for the Dbacks to have a shot. And that's a shame.

For the 2007 draft, I was focused on Todd Frazier. Frazier went to Cinci in the supplemental round and isn't having Evan's amazing rise through the system, but I think he'll be a quality major league hitter on day. We may see him in Cinci in September of 2009, if not sooner.

For the 2008 draft, I got lazy and didn't pick anyone. There were guys I looked at, but no one I followed for a year before the draft. Got lazy, I guess.

So, for the 2009 draft, I'd started keeping an eye on Grant Green, SS, USC a couple of months back. I thought he might be a secret... and then I just saw Keith Law's blog (from about a month ago, to boot)

insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3536311&searchName=law_keith

So so much for that...
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
So, for the 2009 draft, I'd started keeping an eye on Grant Green, SS, USC a couple of months back. I thought he might be a secret... and then I just saw Keith Law's blog (from about a month ago, to boot)

So so much for that...

Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Keith in the same room at the same time.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
levski wrote:

So so much for that...

Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Keith in the same room at the same time.

Really? You missed the ass-whooping he administered on this board? Or you think I have a split personality disorder?
TAP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
TAP wrote:
levski wrote:

So so much for that...

Really? You missed the ass-whooping he administered on this board? Or you think I have a split personality disorder?

The voices are different but the suspicions remain.

Of couse I kid. We all witnessed that brutal administration of virtual corporal punishment while we shuddered at its raw and unabated viciousness.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

More info on Green from BA

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/summer-scene/summer-stock/2008/266640.html

Also, a site that updates the rankings of players for the 2009 draft

http://draftinfo.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/updated-2009-mlb-draft-prospects-1-20/
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
MWS hit on a key point : Such a system would probably result in a cutback of minor league teams/players. Organizations would just not need that many teams and players.

The top amateur players would make more money, but there would be far fewer "longshots" getting a chance to play minor league baseball and making it to the majors, or career minor leaguers getting their first cup of coffee when they are in their late 20's.

I doubt it would make a huge difference. It's so difficult to predict how young players would turn out that I think organizations would still sign lots of minor league free agents and stock their farm systems hoping to find a lottery ticket. My guess is we lose 10- 20% of the farm system, but probably not more. I say this because it doesn't seem we need to run this big a farm system now, but do. It's not being driven solely by how many draft picks we sign.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend sent me this link

http://camdendepot.com/blog/depotblog/blog.html

Grant Green is by far the best hitter in the draft.
Unfortunately, he'll be long gone by the time the Dbacks draft...
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
A friend sent me this link

http://camdendepot.com/blog/depotblog/blog.html

Grant Green is by far the best hitter in the draft.
Unfortunately, he'll be long gone by the time the Dbacks draft...

Matt Davidson doesn't sound so bad... best hitting, power and defense of any 3B prospect...

for the record, this link contains that blog's complete rankings to-date.
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
SheriffWannaBe
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another link I found has Daniel Webb ranked 21...

Crying or Very sad Why didn't we sign him when we had the chance?
2010 SHERIFF SB TICKER: 5
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheriffWannaBe wrote:

I find that ranking specious. I don't think he has pitched since the draft, and there were plenty of question marks about him on draft day. Color me skeptical
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
SheriffWannaBe wrote:

I find that ranking specious. I don't think he has pitched since the draft, and there were plenty of question marks about him on draft day. Color me skeptical

yeah, he was widely ranked #25-40 before this year's draft so this just seems like the general x amount of players ahead of him are gone now so let's move this kid up type of move.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bobby, NY: How is the 2009 Draft shaping up compared to the previous 2 or 3?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:23 PM ET ) Thin at the top right now. HS bats aren't there. HS arms aren't much better. College SP is a pretty deep group with a strong front 4-6 guys.
Aaron
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Every year I like to identify a sophomore college player who's still below the radar and see how he does, at the draft and after the draft.

For the 2006 draft, I had my eye on Evan Longoria. I remember having debates with people here that Longoria was a much better guy to go after than Luke Hochevar (the seeming favorite of posters here). Of course, Evan went too high for the Dbacks to have a shot. And that's a shame.

Yeah, I can attest to Levski's claims here. I used to post a little more back then than I do now. And I was one of the people arguing with Levski about this. Longoria's stock seemed to be wholly based on his Cape Cod performance as his college number (IIRC) were fairly unimpressive up to that point. And nobody at BA had anything better to say about him than "solid albeit below All-Star type." So yeah, Levski got my attention with that pick in retrospect.

I was pulling hard for the D-backs to take Scherzer in that draft incidentally. I liked Scherzer more than Lincecum even, so shows what I know.
Colt-Back
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

this is my first post and i must admit i am still new to game that is baseball so please dont be too critical if my posts and in particular questions seem simple.

In regard to the draft i have been reading that this draft is not as deep as the previous years and that we may not benefit as much with all the picks we have. from what i have read though the class is pretty deep in college pitchers and catchers in general. with our farm system having lost a lot of its talent in particular pitching surely this draft could still be very good in repopulating our farm system with very good college pitchers and at the same hopefully mix in some as yet unproven players of all calibre's? i understand it might still be to early to tell, but i guess the real question im asking is with quite a bit being written about the shallowness of this draft will it still fulfill the priority needs of this farm sysem, considering the large number of top order picks we will potentially have?
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt-Back wrote:
Hi all,

this is my first post and i must admit i am still new to game that is baseball so please dont be too critical if my posts and in particular questions seem simple.

Welcome to the Diamondbacks Bullpen! Very Happy

Don't worry about your questions being "simple." This is a great place to learn, and there a lot of people here who are good teachers.

When you get the chance, go to the "Anything Goes" forum, and look for the thread entitled, "Hello, my name is..." When you get there, tell us a little bit about yourself, and browse through to find out something about the rest of us.

Again, welcome to the list!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Farm Implements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: