Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. I am not sure if I like it yet.
I am also reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This one is interesting. It reminds me of Stephen King's Running Man. It is not as good as Running Man but it is not bad.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Hunger Games and I liked it. I stopped reading Gone Away World.
I finally got Cutting For Stone. I am only into it about 50 pages but so far so good.
chrispk9
Oops! Blocked by Moorad! Back to Reno!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In throwback mode, reading Alistair McLean's "Guns Of Navarone"
Read it as a kid, found it at a pizza joint here in EP that also has a
paperback book exchange inside.
Gonna have to find the movie, Peck, Niven and Quinn and also
Richard Harris.
I remember it as a great movie.
We shall see.
EvilJuan
Number Retired

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islands of Storm, by James Charles Roy.

It's about three small islands off the northwest coast of Ireland; primarily history, but more...
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Handmaid's Tale

Adding the above on Bonds rec.

I am really liking Cutting for Stone.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting for Stone was very good. I reccomend it. I am now reading Sacred Clowns by Tony Hillerman. I am slowly moving through that series.
Just ordered Under the Dome by Stephen King. I cant wait to get my hands on that. Smile
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone reading Sarah Palin's "memoir"? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the Dome arrived today. It is over 1,000 pages. I am giddy with excitement.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting around to reading October 1964 by David Halberstam. The first two chapters provide fascinating insight into the Cardinals and Yankees organizational mindset in the late '50s and early '60s.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Under the Dome by S King. I enjoyed it but I have some questions about it. I dont want to spoil anything but has anyone else read this yet?

I have four books on order from the library. I will see what arrives first.
chrispk9
Oops! Blocked by Moorad! Back to Reno!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Born To Run"
A running book that appeals to non runners. (like me)
Really entertaining, reads like a novel.
Showcases the Tarahumara of the Copper Canyon.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Just getting around to reading October 1964 by David Halberstam. The first two chapters provide fascinating insight into the Cardinals and Yankees organizational mindset in the late '50s and early '60s.

Halberstam one of the all time greats. The Best and Brightest one of the best books of all time. His Breaks of the Game still ranks as one of my favorite sports books of all time. All his baseball books are great too.

Got to drive him around phoenix for a book tour once. Was a nice guy too.
deweyniner
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
So, anyone reading Sarah Palin's "memoir"? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

EDIT: Good thing I hadn't bought it yet, or I'd have wasted my money. Thanks Sarah. Good bye, Sarah. /EDIT.

But I'm probably going to read 'The Coming Insurrection' first.

Last edited by deweyniner on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Beating the Reaper. A real quick,easy,quirky, read. It is about a doctor who is a mafia hit man. It was fun.
I am still waiting on Columbine from the library.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
I finally got Cutting For Stone. I am only into it about 50 pages but so far so good.

I chose Cutting for Stone for my bookclub based on the thread here. By all means finish it- it is a great book. Most of the books I read have female protagonists, so this was a welcome change. I even prepared Doro Wat (even with the injera bread supplied by the Ethiopian food restaurant here for my club to try- it was yummy. My family loved it, so I will make it again.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tucsondbacksfan wrote:
Prosopis wrote:

I chose Cutting for Stone for my bookclub based on the thread here. By all means finish it- it is a great book. Most of the books I read have female protagonists, so this was a welcome change. I even prepared Doro Wat (even with the injera bread supplied by the Ethiopian food restaurant here for my club to try- it was yummy. My family loved it, so I will make it again.

I finished it a while back. I agree it is a very good book.
bcpkron06
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this thread and wanted to add a bit to it. I am a major reader as well, I attempt to keep up with my significant other, but she seems as though she can read a book a day, it is insane!

Anyways. I just finished Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, which was fantastic!

And right now I'm reading a book called, The Morning Show Murders which is actually by Al Roker (yes that Al Roker) and Dick Lochte. My mother purchased it for me during Christmas, and it actually is quite entertaining thus far.

I love reading horror/thriller/mystery books and anything to do with religion.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcpkron06 wrote:

And right now I'm reading a book called, The Morning Show Murders which is actually by Al Roker (yes that Al Roker) and Dick Lochte. My mother purchased it for me during Christmas, and it actually is quite entertaining thus far.

I remember when the news came out about Al Roker's book, I was like who in the world would read that cheesy novel? Glad to hear it's actually quite good. Sorry, Mr. Roker.

Oh, I also apologize to the admin for creating another "What are you reading?" thread, I did vaguely remember there was one about books, but didn't scroll down far enough to find it.

Oh, about the book "Game Change", has anyone read it? I'm not even at halfway point yet but I'm curious about something. In the prologue, it ended with the following sentence:

"Indeed, for Obama and Clinton, the confusion was deeper still: they had no clue that their tale was a love story - or that it had been all along." Huh? A love story? I don't get it. What are they talking about?
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Cutting for Stone was very good. I reccomend it. I am now reading Sacred Clowns by Tony Hillerman. I am slowly moving through that series.
Just ordered Under the Dome by Stephen King. I cant wait to get my hands on that. Smile

I enjoyed Cutting for Stone as well. It was good to read a story that had a male protagonist for a change. My book club is full of nurses and one doc and none of them had ever heard of that saying before.

I am currently reading "The Healing of America: A Guide to Better, Cheaper and Fairer Health Care" by T.R. Reid. He compares the health care systems of the major industrialized countries (good and bad) as well as ours. Our system doesn't fare well over all compared to many others such as Japan or France, all things considered. Interesting reading if you're so inclined.
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBWS08 wrote:
bcpkron06 wrote:

I remember when the news came out about Al Roker's book, I was like who in the world would read that cheesy novel? Glad to hear it's actually quite good. Sorry, Mr. Roker.

Oh, I also apologize to the admin for creating another "What are you reading?" thread, I did vaguely remember there was one about books, but didn't scroll down far enough to find it.

Oh, about the book "Game Change", has anyone read it? I'm not even at halfway point yet but I'm curious about something. In the prologue, it ended with the following sentence:

"Indeed, for Obama and Clinton, the confusion was deeper still: they had no clue that their tale was a love story - or that it had been all along." Huh? A love story? I don't get it. What are they talking about?

I don't know but you have me intrigued...
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tucsondbacksfan wrote:

I promise I'll come back to let you know when I'm done with the book, still only halfway through.

Hey, got a question for you guys, do you stay with one book until you're done or are you like me, go for two at the same time?

The other book I'm reading right now is The Good Life by Jay McInerney. My wife just finished it and said she really enjoyed it. I picked it up and got hooked immediately.
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a philosophy and Hemingway kick lately.

I read this article and had to find a book by E. M. Cioran. Ended-up paying $30 here in a bookstore for an out-of-print copy of for A Short History Of Decay. An amazing book, but it turns-out I could've gotten another publishing on Amazon.com for $5. Embarassed

I'm also reading "The Sun Also Rises" and "A Moveable Feast", both by Hemingway, whom I've sadly neglected all these years. I'm really getting a strong desire to spend time in Paris because of these books.

After baseball season, of course. Smile
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBWS08 wrote:
tucsondbacksfan wrote:

I promise I'll come back to let you know when I'm done with the book, still only halfway through.

Hey, got a question for you guys, do you stay with one book until you're done or are you like me, go for two at the same time?

The other book I'm reading right now is The Good Life by Jay McInerney. My wife just finished it and said she really enjoyed it. I picked it up and got hooked immediately.

I typically have more than one going at a time- but it depends on how much free time I have. Drives my hubby nuts- he thinks reading should be linear and singular- one at a time. Course he's not a big reader so what does he know??? Laughing Wink
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. O. N. D. wrote:
I've been on a philosophy and Hemingway kick lately.

I read this article and had to find a book by E. M. Cioran. Ended-up paying $30 here in a bookstore for an out-of-print copy of for A Short History Of Decay. An amazing book, but it turns-out I could've gotten another publishing on Amazon.com for $5. Embarassed

I'm also reading "The Sun Also Rises" and "A Moveable Feast", both by Hemingway, whom I've sadly neglected all these years. I'm really getting a strong desire to spend time in Paris because of these books.

After baseball season, of course. Smile

I have most of those classics in my "library" but no matter how I tell myself that it's time to reread some of them, when the time comes for a new book, I always go for a NEW book.

As for Amazon, it's my favorite one-site-shopping, I download songs, buy books and cd's, kiddie toys, dog toys, and all my Christmas shopping too. Here in Seattle a lot of people use Amazon for groceries too, you go online to select what you want and they deliver to your front door the next day.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished "Game Change", if you plan to read it, don't read any further... otherwise, scroll down...

The so-called "love story" between Obama and Hillary is not at all a "love story" but a human story. In the end, after all said and done, they became two human beings who simply couldn't help to admire each other, especially Obama, he went against his brain trust to go after Hillary to be his Secretary of State because he thought she was the best person for the job and he needed her and literally begged her to join him.

Oh, one tidbit about John McCain, I hated him for choosing Sarah Palin as this running mate with no regards to putting such a person one heartbeat away from presidency if elected, but deep down I'd always had a lot of respect for him as a person, but not anymore, not after reading about this incident.

In one meeting during the campaign, he became angry because his wife, Cindy, had interrupted him. He had both middle fingers raised and extended and let out a stream of "Fuck you, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!" I simply can't fathom how any decent man could treat his wife of 30 years like that, there is no excuse for that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: