Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Scott Turow's new novel, Innocent. It's a new novel about an old story, remember Presumed Innocent? It's 20 years later and Rusty Sabich (Harrison Ford in the movie) again got charged for murder, it's a page turner and can't-wait-to-get-to-the-end kind of courtroom drama.
azdbackmouse
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Not bad for a King novel and it has one of the better beginnings for a novel of his. It's very long but reads fast.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azdbackmouse wrote:
I'm reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Not bad for a King novel and it has one of the better beginnings for a novel of his. It's very long but reads fast.

I enjoyed it but like some of his others the ending did not thrill me. Great characters in the story though. He has a new one coming out this month about a base ball player I am looking forward to.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/blockade_billy/
tucsondbacksfan
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished "Whatever Makes you Happy" by William Sutcliff. It's about 3 mothers who devise a plan to spend a week with their 30+ yr old sons with no notice. Lots of dynamics and reality in this.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now reading "No" by David Walsh, it's a book about why kids of all ages need to hear the word no and how parents can say it without guilt.

I have two toddlers and one is adopted, we're having a hard time saying no to the adopted one even though my goal is to be able to say that I don't remember which one is adopted, I find there is a difference when it comes to trying to discipline the children.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished two of Dave Ramsey's books. They were good reads if you have trouble with finances/budgeting. I am really bad at that. I dont understand why that is not taught at a high school level. I am really worried about my kids and their basic knowledge of money which is probably zero. As my knowledge is right next to zero I dont feel I can teach them properly. I guess the trick is to stay out of debt and pay cash for everything other then a mortgage.

Also finished Just Play Ball by Joe Garagiola which was very enjoyable. I finished it last night while watching the game. Funny he was talking about the same stuff I was reading last night. I would love to watch a game with him. I thought it was funny last night when Sut thought Young was going to steal second and Joe gave him a hard time asking why would you think that. (I think it was Young on first?)
Anyway I have all kinds of new things to look at when I go to my next game thanks to that book.

I am off to the library to find some new stuff. Very Happy
CDETTU
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Dull Roar by Henry Rollins right now.

&

Just finished, Under and Alone by Billy McQueen.. Great book I couldn't put it down. A true story of an ATF agent (Billy) going undercover to join the Mongols MC.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDETTU wrote:
Just finished, Under and Alone by Billy McQueen.. Great book I couldn't put it down. A true story of an ATF agent (Billy) going undercover to join the Mongols MC.

Thanks for the tip - sounds like a good read! Please tell me it's not like this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102984/
CDETTU
AA Prospect

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! no boz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFj8RfFhuLw
Guitar Salad
Everyday Player

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
I just finished two of Dave Ramsey's books. They were good reads if you have trouble with finances/budgeting. I am really bad at that. I dont understand why that is not taught at a high school level. I am really worried about my kids and their basic knowledge of money which is probably zero. As my knowledge is right next to zero I dont feel I can teach them properly. I guess the trick is to stay out of debt and pay cash for everything other then a mortgage.

I've read Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace. They're the reason I paid off my car in November and have no debt in my life. I could have done without all the spiritual stuff in the books, but I know that's part of Dave's shtick. Because I read that book, I was able to pay cash for my car repairs this week. I didn't like to have to foot a $350 bill, but I'm not stressed about parting with the money. I would have been if I hadn't stuck with my plan to get rid of my debt.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Salad wrote:
Prosopis wrote:

I've read Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace. They're the reason I paid off my car in November and have no debt in my life. I could have done without all the spiritual stuff in the books, but I know that's part of Dave's shtick. Because I read that book, I was able to pay cash for my car repairs this week. I didn't like to have to foot a $350 bill, but I'm not stressed about parting with the money. I would have been if I hadn't stuck with my plan to get rid of my debt.

Yeah I like his plan. Its pretty much common sense but when it comes to money I dont have a lot of common sense. The spiritual stuff did not bother me but to be honest I skipped most of that.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet for my Pillow
From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie

Good read so far. This is one of the two books that the HBO miniseries The Pacific was based on.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:

What bugs me about Dave Ramsey is the two things he constantly preaches: (1) Do not use credit cards. (2) Pay off the mortgage.

First of all, I travel a lot, no only for business but for fun, how in the world do I make reservations for hotels and cars without using a credit card? Also, sometimes, I have to pay a huge bill for a business transaction which will then be reimbursed back to me later on, how do you do things like that without a credit card? Am I supposed to carry a shitload of cash at all times?

Secondly, about home ownerships, I'm sure most of us begin with a little starter home and move on up to a bigger and better one as our wages increase and lifestyles improve. But, according to Dave Ramsey's plan, we should all live and die in our starter homes.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading south of the border after this homestand so I hit the bookstore last night and picked up a baseball book for some beach reading.

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Heyhurst.

Anyone here read it? With our bullpen problems I thought it would make a good read. Maybe JB can borrow it when Im thru. Wink
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished "Not without Hope" by Nick Schuyler, a true story about two NFL players and their two pals who went for a fishing trip 75 miles off shore and two days later only Nick Schuyler survived the ordeal.

It's a must-read for anyone who likes sailing, reading about the little mistakes those four guys made can be a life saver for someone. If you know someone who loves deep sea fishing, give him/her this book.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBWS08 wrote:
I just finished "Not without Hope" by Nick Schuyler, a true story about two NFL players and their two pals who went for a fishing trip 75 miles off shore and two days later only Nick Schuyler survived the ordeal.

It's a must-read for anyone who likes sailing, reading about the little mistakes those four guys made can be a life saver for someone. If you know someone who loves deep sea fishing, give him/her this book.

Too soon. Crying or Very sad
misterx
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

signed up for audible.com and been listing to Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Dbacks bullpen PEDS for the other team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 30 pages into Blockade Billy by Stephen King. So far a good baseball tale. It is pretty short I will probly finish it this weekend.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Blockade Billy. Interesting baseball tale but I see many flaws with it. It should have been in a book of short stories. I ordered it thinking it was a full novel. It has a second story in it called Morality which I read about a year ago. I think it was in Esquire magazine.
I feel a little ripped off by S King. Crying or Very sad
Unless you are one of those fans who has to have every book I would just read it in Barnes and Noble. It is really short.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Helmet for my Pillow
From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie

Good read so far. This is one of the two books that the HBO miniseries The Pacific was based on.

Finished this today. Good book. I teared up some at the end. War is bad. Crying or Very sad
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Passage by Justin Cronin

100 pages in and I like it quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/0345504968
azdbackmouse
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like scifi/horror I have to recommend these two books: "Infected" and "Contagious" by Scott Sigler.
Read "Infected"first... omg! I wanted to put my hands over my eyes as I read. Hard to put down and horrifying.
"Contagious" is the continuation of the story.
I can't even think what to tell you about the story that wouldn't give away too much... think maybe of a modern day Andromeda Strain with very nasty aliens.
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azdbackmouse wrote:
If you like scifi/horror I have to recommend these two books: "Infected" and "Contagious" by Scott Sigler.
Read "Infected"first... omg! I wanted to put my hands over my eyes as I read. Hard to put down and horrifying.
"Contagious" is the continuation of the story.
I can't even think what to tell you about the story that wouldn't give away too much... think maybe of a modern day Andromeda Strain with very nasty aliens.

I will put these in my que.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Heading south of the border after this homestand so I hit the bookstore last night and picked up a baseball book for some beach reading.

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Heyhurst.

Anyone here read it? With our bullpen problems I thought it would make a good read. Maybe JB can borrow it when Im thru. Wink

Finished this and its one of the best baseball books Ive read in a long long time.

This one makes you cry one chapter and laugh out loud the next.

Great job get this one your will enjoy it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: