Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What are you reading?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Lets start a readers thread. It is a good way to hear about new and old books. I am a big reader. I will read just about anything.

I am currently reading The Ruins by Scott Smith. A horror story set in Mexico. I am not to far in but so far I like it.

Recently finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was a story about a father and son in a post apocalyptic US. It was well written but pretty depressing.
Also read Blood Meridian about the Mexican Indian wars. Also by Cormac McCarthy. It was uber violent if you are into that.

Odd Thomas by dean Koonts was good junk food for the brain. As simplistic as the story was I was tricked at the end. I was a little embarrassed because I should have seen the ending coming a mile away.

Any way there are a few book reviews for you. I think it would be cool for everyone to contribute. I have been turned on to some really good books this way. So lets here it. Bring me your westerns,science fiction, horror, classics, political, religious, sports, biography, non fiction etc.......
XB3
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading "Kill Me" by Stephen White. It started slow, but the last 100 pages kept me up last night.

From Publishers Weekly: "Bestseller White (Missing Persons) takes an endlessly debatable question—at what point would a decline in your quality of life cause you to want to end your life?—and leverages it into a clever, absorbing thriller. The anonymous narrator is in his prime, a happily married father of a young girl given to high-risk sports. An assortment of grim fates and a near-escape of his own make him consider the question. A shadowy group called Death Angel Inc. contracts to guarantee that if the life of the "insured" should reach a certain agreed-upon level, they will terminate that life. Fascinated and impressed by the Death Angels' knowledge and reach, he eventually negotiates terms with them. This Faustian bargain doesn't take long to reveal its dark side, and White pays almost equal attention to the philosophical and the physical as his hero has to both approach the conditions that would trigger his contract's death clause yet remain healthy enough to fight back. Some finely scripted action scenes build to a telegraphed ending that weakens the book only slightly. (Mar.)"

Currently reading "The Rising Tide" by Jeff Shaara.
DBaxPwnAll
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work I am reading a series by Steven Brust, titled the Jhereg, or some know then as the Vlad taltos series. He is one of my favorite authors by far.

At home I am readin The Simarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien (or I guess I should say Christopher Tolkien) Love the lord of the rings, and the Hobbit, but not to thrilled with this one so far. I read it a long time ago, and didn't much care for it, but I thought I might try it again, since I am older and wiser.....well older anyway lol
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baseball forum that dosen't suck, of course. Razz Don't read a whole lot lately during baseball season, but have the newest Koontz 'Odd Thomas' book ready to go. Fun reading stuff that Koontz guy. The ending of the first 'Odd Thomas' book should have been transperant, but....I'm hesistant to comment because it would be too big a give away for anyone interested in reading the book.

The character is interesting, but in the sequel books I'm just not as moved. Koontz for the longest time didn't do sequel books. I think there were definitely some characters in some of his other work that screamed to have a sequel, but him choosing Odd and Christopher Snow as the only two characters to write follow up books is rather odd, pun unintended.

My favorite Koontz book is 'Lightning.' Come up with a plausable sequal to that book, and it's a blockbuster. Any woman arming herself with serious heat, even illegal, and a 'guardian angel' to boot is my kind of lady. Laughing
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz wrote:
The baseball forum that dosen't suck, of course. Razz Don't read a whole lot lately during baseball season, but have the newest Koontz 'Odd Thomas' book ready to go. Fun reading stuff that Koontz guy. The ending of the first 'Odd Thomas' book should have been transperant, but....I'm hesistant to comment because it would be too big a give away for anyone interested in reading the book.

The character is interesting, but in the sequel books I'm just not as moved. Koontz for the longest time didn't do sequel books. I think there were definitely some characters in some of his other work that screamed to have a sequel, but him choosing Odd and Christopher Snow as the only two characters to write follow up books is rather odd, pun unintended.

My favorite Koontz book is 'Lightning.' Come up with a plausable sequal to that book, and it's a blockbuster. Any woman arming herself with serious heat, even illegal, and a 'guardian angel' to boot is my kind of lady. Laughing

I did not realize there were sequel books. I will have to look into that. You are correct about the ending of the first one but I fell for it hook line and sinker.
jeninboston
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Azalea by Anchee Min - I actually thought this was a novel when I bought it, but it is a memoir. Very interesting story thus far of a woman growing up in China, beginning as a wholehearted Maoist and (at least at the point I have gotten to) coming to distrust the system - the last hundred pages I've read were her disillusioning experiences working in a labor camp/farm - while still wanting to believe in the philosophy behind it. I've got a ways to go still, and I am very curious to see where her thinking winds up in the end.
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Driaz wrote:

I did not realize there were sequel books. I will have to look into that. You are correct about the ending of the first one but I fell for it hook line and sinker.

Yeah, me too. Embarassed Laughing

The others are 'Forever Odd', 'Brother Odd', and his newest one that I haven't read yet, 'Odd Hours.'
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a new book I found about Edward Abbey called "Postcards from Ed"

Some funny stuff. Lots of letters to editors that he wrote to various publications.

On Deck is one of his books I havent read "The Fools Progress" which I hear is really good.

His book Desert Solitare is I think my all time favorite book.

And Im still waiting for Hollywood to make the "Monkey Wrench Gang" into a movie Wink
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the constant industry journals and of course Arizona Highways magazine, some of the books I've read in 2008 include a couple of Tom Clancy books, the last two Bourne books (The Bourne Betrayal by Eric Van Lustbader was the better of the two), The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, I Was Right on Time by Buck O'Neil, and Baseball: A Literary Anthology edited by Nicholas Dawidoff.

Three books sitting in my on deck circle are Aztec by Gary Jennings, Duty, Honor, Victory: America's Athletes in Wordl War II by Gary Bloomfield, and October 1964 by David Halbertstam.
Dre
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading is something I'm trying to get myself back into, havent done much of it for the past decade

That said, I'm basically reading all baseball/sports books

Recently read:

Joe Posnanski - The Soul of Baseball
Sam Walker - FantasyLand
One Magical Sunday - Mickelson
Inside Delta Force - Eric Haney

Almost done with

Time Bandit by the Hillstrand brothers... off Discovery Channel Deadliest Catch

Crazy 08 - Cait Murphy
xjwheelr
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Storm of Swords by George R R Martin

Very good series (have posted about it here before).
B. O. N. D.
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... surprised I've read so many of the books mentioned on here!

You can't go wrong with Cormac McCarthy. "Blood Meridian" was my favorite and IMHO his best writing.

J. R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is quite awesome. If you like that it is MANDATORY for you to read Glen Cook's "Black Company" series, as well as his new "Instrumentalities of the Night" series.

I've spent the last couple of years reading pulp and noir fiction-- and collecting the real deals-- so if anyone has any interest, I can point you to some incredible authors: Cornell Woolrich (also known as William Irish), Gil Brewer, Day Keene, Jim Thompson, Paul Cain, etc. etc.

I read A LOT, so here are a few stand-outs over the last months:

• The Bad & The Beautiful: Hollywood in the '50s by Sam Kashner
• The Tucson Murders by John Gillmore
• Night Has a Thousand Eyes by Cornell Woolrich
* The Fabulous Clip Joint by Frederic Brown
• The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson
• Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson
• Women by Charles Bukowski
• Ask the Dust by John Fante

Gah... I gotta get ready for work.

Anyway, the Tucson Murders is a non-fiction work. I am collecting press clippings, old photos, etc. relating to the crimes. If anyone was around back then ('60s Tucson) and has any anecdotes or memorabilia, please PM me. Especially if you knew or knew someone who knew Charles Schmid Jr.
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get around to (maybe this weekend when we go to the library) I'm going to re-read the Hobbit and the LOTR. I read the series once somewhere between 12-14. I loved the movies and I recently watched the extended editions of the trilogy over a weekend. It made me think that it would be great to revisit the books and see what I missed when I originally read them.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:

Some funny stuff. Lots of letters to editors that he wrote to various publications.

On Deck is one of his books I havent read "The Fools Progress" which I hear is really good.

And Im still waiting for Hollywood to make the "Monkey Wrench Gang" into a movie Wink

Desert Solitare is definately in my top 10. I love that book. Edward Abbey was the man!
A friend of mine bought some property in the Tucson mountains. When he bought it a local was talking to him about how Abbey and his buddies spent many nights on the property around a campfire drinking. I do a lot of bush wacking through the Tucson mountains and I often think about Abbey walking those same hills.
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hurry Down Sunshine" by Michael Greenberg. It was a book my wife just finished. I got curious seeing how disturbed she had been by the book so I picked it up and once I started I couldn't put it down until I got to the last page.

It's a memoir about the extraordinary summer when the author's daughter at the age of 15 was struck mad. The story covered the entire journey of how this girl, her family and psychiatrist dealt with this devastating mental illness. If you're a parent, this mesmerizing memoir would send chills down your spine and it would make you get down to your knees praying to God that nothing of this sort would ever happen to your children.
THE SHADOW
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

Desert Solitare is definately in my top 10. I love that book. Edward Abbey was the man!
A friend of mine bought some property in the Tucson mountains. When he bought it a local was talking to him about how Abbey and his buddies spent many nights on the property around a campfire drinking. I do a lot of bush wacking through the Tucson mountains and I often think about Abbey walking those same hills.

One of these winters Im going to take the JEEP out and drive the Devils Highway. Abbey walked the damn thing Shocked

I also think thats where they burried him. Abbey was one of a kind. Love reading his stuff.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE SHADOW wrote:
Prosopis wrote:
THE SHADOW wrote:

One of these winters Im going to take the JEEP out and drive the Devils Highway. Abbey walked the damn thing Shocked

I also think thats where they burried him. Abbey was one of a kind. Love reading his stuff.

Send me a pm if you dont mind company. I will bring beer,salt, and a knife. Smile
I would love to do that.
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
Send me a pm if you dont mind company. I will bring beer,salt, and a knife. Smile

I'm not riding any buses with you.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAP wrote:
Prosopis wrote:

The knife is for rabbits. We will get hungry you know.
Driaz
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prosopis wrote:
TAP wrote:
Prosopis wrote:

I'm kinda drunk but I think he might have been referring to some of your expressed desires on the shuttle bus from Tucson up to the game. It was a while ago, and I hope I'm not confusing you with another Tucson guy. Embarassed
DBWS08
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in the middle of "Boom!" by Tom Brokaw. My dad gave it to me because it's a book about his generation, "the class of 1968". Hillary Clinton called it "the generation produced by the greatest generation".

It's interesting to see how the members of the babyboom generation have gone from the crazy and chaotic sixties to the individual entrepreneurship of today and the huge impact on our lives.

While admiring the babyboom generation, I'm now more convinced than ever that it's the next generation's turn to take control of our country. While admiring John McCain for his many achievements, he's simply way too old for the job; he's two generations late.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driaz wrote:
Prosopis wrote:
TAP wrote:
Prosopis wrote:

I'm kinda drunk but I think he might have been referring to some of your expressed desires on the shuttle bus from Tucson up to the game. It was a while ago, and I hope I'm not confusing you with another Tucson guy. Embarassed

You are confusing me with someone else. I thought he was making a reference to the guy that beheaded that kid on the bus.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost done with the ruins. I am wondering how it is going to end? I have about 60 pages left and I suspect I will finish it tommorrow.

I started Blaze by Richard Bachman (Stephen King pseudonym)
So far I like it. I like the tribute to Of Mice and Men that he has going on so far.
Craig from Az
A-Ball Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a non-fiction guy. I recently finished "A Distant Mirror: The Calamatous 14th Century" by Barbara Tuchman. It was decent, but not great. Not nearly as good as her history of WW1: "The Guns of August". I'm currently reading William Manchester's "The Last Lion", a biography of Winston Churchill. Churchill's life is incredible - you wouldn't think one person could possibly cram so much into a single lifetime. And I'm only up to WW1 so far.

Previous books that I HIGHLY recommend:

Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond. A geographical explanation for why Europeans ended up dominating the world. LOTS of stuff in this book I didn't know. The book gets a little repetitive at the end, but the first 2/3 of the book as is good as it gets.

The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins. Natural selection in action. Fascinating book.

Genome, by Matt Ridley. A description of some of the activities in the human genome, in 23 chapters. Very enlightening.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze started well but faded quickly. In the end I have to say I did not like it much. I did enjoy the nod to Of Mice and Men.

I am now reading Walking (The ultimate exercise for optimal health) by Andrew Weil and Mark Fenton.

I am also reading the fourth book of the Chronicles of Narnia. I forget the name of it. I had my kids reading these books and I was reading them so we would have something to talk about. I think I am the only one reading them though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: