Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index Diamondbacks Bullpen
The baseball forum that doesn't suck

Home       News Feed 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Qualls [and EVERY other Reliever] BLOWS with Runners ON/RISP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think those assessments are probably a bit harsh. From my experience and interaction with them, there are always aspects of all this I haven't thought of, or just didn't have the right information. BUT......there are times when something sure seems obvious and it can be frustrating. I have voiced plenty of frustration over the years. Cool
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:

Even though he has had some bad luck in 2008, making the numbers probably look worse than he has actually pitched, Chad Qualls has clearly been BELOW AVERAGE at preventing inherited runners from scoring.

If you ran this earlier in the year when Qualls is our best option in the bullpen, he's probably in the top 20 for the last 3 years. This analysis is biased a little from recent events. When you look at any player on a streak, hot or cold, you will likely be biased to overweight the recent streak. Chipper Jones isn't a .370 hitter.

Maybe Chad has lost it, but I think heading into this season you would not have been concerned about his ability to prevent inherited runners from scoring. Oh, and Valverde keeps finishing below Qualls on these rankings. Again, I don't think JB blew this one even if the results weren't what we hoped for. Where we blew it was in our outfield choices.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
BUT......there are times when something sure seems obvious and it can be frustrating. I have voiced plenty of frustration over the years. Cool

You too, Brutus? Laughing

See, if they had hired me last year, I would've told them to trade Eric Byrnes at the July deadline for pitching or prospects and give the LF job to Hairston.

And then they would've fired me. End of story.

Code:

Eric Byrnes batting from career game #760 (Jul 31, 2007) to game #812 (Sep 29, 2007)

G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
  53 231 205  38  49  9  1  5  23  18   2  26   6   1   1   9  23  1  .239  .317  .366  .683

Code:

Scott Hairston batting from career game #204 (Jul 31, 2007) to game #232 (Oct 1, 2007)

G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
  29  93  85  16  25  5  1  8  20   7   0  17   0   0   1   0   0  0  .294  .344  .659 1.003

Nobody in the Dbacks front office would listen to me.
Or give me even a penny for my ideas.
Because I haven't played this game Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, we're better off this way
By doing what they've been doing with EB, SH, CQ, the Dbacks have provided endless entertainment to me

It's like watching a train wreck over and over and over
tmar
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe I'm not intending to be harsh, but it really seems like a lot of anti-establishment & against the stats, decisions seem to either take place or continue to take place due to someone's "gut" feelings.

I get the feeling that they are overly relient upon everyone doing their job or the right thing all the time and fail to ask the hard questions or force changes when due.

I'm ok with the team giving the manager the ability to run the team but if they keep doing the "wrong" thing over and over, shouldn't someone be guiding them into trying a more logical direction?

Shouldn't answers like "he's due" or "he's just been a little unlucky" get a bit stale after the 10th time they're offered up?
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
If you ran this earlier in the year when Qualls is our best option in the bullpen, he's probably in the top 20 for the last 3 years. This analysis is biased a little from recent events. When you look at any player on a streak, hot or cold, you will likely be biased to overweight the recent streak. Chipper Jones isn't a .370 hitter.

This is completely incorrect, and in fact, ass backwards. The bias is on your part by overrating a hot streak in April.

If you just look at his numbers for 2005 thru 2007 you find that he ranks 30th out of 44

Link

So before he was even traded here, for the previous 3 seasons, i.e., a decent sized sample, he ranked below avg in percentage of In R. Sc.

He had a hot two weeks in April, and everyone overrated him. Then he more or less reverted to what is for him normal over his next 37 appearances.

You tell me what is more accurate......all of 2005,6, & 7, and his most recent 37 appearances, or overrating him based on a 12 game hot streak in April.

I await your retraction of the accusation of Bias.
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
Maybe Chad has lost it, but I think heading into this season you would not have been concerned about his ability to prevent inherited runners from scoring. Oh, and Valverde keeps finishing below Qualls on these rankings. Again, I don't think JB blew this one even if the results weren't what we hoped for. Where we blew it was in our outfield choices.

Oh...and to address this as well....

I was not rehashing the trade....I was directly addressing what I believe to be the best way to utilize Qualls going forward. So the above point is an irellevent response to my post.
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoewizard wrote:
ValueArb wrote:

This is completely incorrect, and in fact, ass backwards. The bias is on your part by overrating a hot streak in April.

If you just look at his numbers for 2005 thru 2007 you find that he ranks 30th out of 44

Link

So before he was even traded here, for the previous 3 seasons, i.e., a decent sized sample, he ranked below avg in percentage of In R. Sc.

He had a hot two weeks in April, and everyone overrated him. Then he more or less reverted to what is for him normal over his next 37 appearances.

You tell me what is more accurate......all of 2005,6, & 7, and his most recent 37 appearances, or overrating him based on a 12 game hot streak in April.

If I retract my statement of bias can I accuse you of being pedantic instead?

I should have thrown out the fancy term "reversion to the mean" instead of using recency bias. But it doesn't really matter because you were right and my assumptions were wrong. Is that enough of an apology or are you going to force me to grovel:(?
shoewizard
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groveling works too. Laughing

Sorry...I knew I should have thrown in an emoticon. I was teasing with that retraction part. But there was NOTHING Pedantic or Trivial about either my initial post, OR my response to your inaccurate and ill thought out response.

It goes to the heart of the matter actually. While Dahlian, and perhaps you to a lesser extent, have pretty much accused others of being too reactionary regarding Qualls problems, you both have missed the forest from the trees.

APRIL WAS THE ANOMALY. The sooner, you, Dahlian, and the D Backs realize that, the better off we all will be.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
More interesting stuff about Qualls

In his career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=quallch01&year=c

High Leverage situations: 496 PA, 19 HR, 0.813 OPS Against
Med Leverage situations: 364 PA, 8 HR, 0.637 OPS Against
Low Leverage situations: 461 PA, 5 HR, 0.599 OPS Against

In 2008

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=quallch01&year=2008

High Leverage situations: 59 PA, 2 HR, 0.739 OPS Against
Med Leverage situations: 43 PA, 0 HR, 0.431 OPS Against
Low Leverage situations: 48 PA, 0 HR, 0.532 OPS Against

If he looks like a choker and smells like a choker...

Update, 2009 stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=quallch01&year=2009&t=p#lever

High Leverage situations: 62 PA, 12 R, 2 HR, 0.756 OPS Against
Med Leverage situations: 25 PA, 3 R, 1 HR, 0.960 OPS Against
Low Leverage situations: 42 PA, 3 R, 0 HR, 0.548 OPS Against

Sounds like we've got a closer who excels under pressure
Wink
TAP
"Personality of a thumb-tack" - E Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who blew today's save? Wink
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/phillies-scouted-chad-qualls.html

Phillies scouted Chad Qualls
ValueArb
Veteran Presence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, after trading one of our best relievers, we trade our best from this glittering pen? The cries for Pena will be echoed a thousandfold...
True fans sense a special pain from an owner too cheap to ever field a competitive team, and smile when the idiot GM lackey trades for a crappy starter because his teammates scored lots of runs and held most of his leads.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
oh no, after trading one of our best relievers, we trade our best from this glittering pen? The cries for Pena will be echoed a thousandfold...

Qualls will be pretty damn expensive next year, once he has 30+ saves to his resume. Even if he's not traded now, I expect the Dbacks will shop him around in the offseason...
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a look at the usual suspects. BA/OBP/OPS against by leverage

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/wpa.shtml

Quote:
Leverage Index

Within a season, there are plays that are more pivotal than others. We attempt to quantify these plays with a stat called leverage index (LI). LI looks at the possible changes in win probability in a give situation and situations where dramatic swings in win probability are possible (runner on second late in a tie game) have higher LI's than situations where there can be no large change in win probability (late innings of a 12-run blowout).

The stat is normalized so that on average the leverage is 1.00. In tense situations, the leverage is higher than 1.00 (up to about 10) and in low-tension situations the leverage is between 0 and 1.0.

Qualls, career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=quallch01&year=Career&t=p

High Lev, .263/.318/.425/.743 OPSA
Med Lev, .258/.317/.378/.695 OPSA
Low Lev, .235/.296/.324/.620 OPSA

Howry, career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=howrybo01&year=Career&t=p

High Lev, .262/.328/.407/.735 OPSA
Med Lev, .225/.303/.385/.689 OPSA
Low Lev, .236/.288/.389/.677 OPSA

Heilman, career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=heilmaa01&year=Career&t=p

High Lev, .288/.389/.450/.839 OPSA Shocked
Med Lev, .262/.341/.409/.749 OPSA
Low Lev, .210/.280/.330/.610 OPSA

AJ: Look man, you don't know what it's like - I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And I'm not out of order! You're out of order! The whole freaking system is out of order! You want the truth? You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! 'Cause when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do!! Forget it man, it's Chinatown!!!

Levski: AJ, don't ever use Heilman in meaningful situations again!!

AJ (sheepishly): Yes, sir.
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Taking a look at the usual suspects. BA/OBP/OPS against by leverage

http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/wpa.shtml

Quote:
Leverage Index

Within a season, there are plays that are more pivotal than others. We attempt to quantify these plays with a stat called leverage index (LI). LI looks at the possible changes in win probability in a give situation and situations where dramatic swings in win probability are possible (runner on second late in a tie game) have higher LI's than situations where there can be no large change in win probability (late innings of a 12-run blowout).

The stat is normalized so that on average the leverage is 1.00. In tense situations, the leverage is higher than 1.00 (up to about 10) and in low-tension situations the leverage is between 0 and 1.0.

Qualls, career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=quallch01&year=Career&t=p

High Lev, .263/.318/.425/.743 OPSA
Med Lev, .258/.317/.378/.695 OPSA
Low Lev, .235/.296/.324/.620 OPSA

Howry, career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=howrybo01&year=Career&t=p

High Lev, .262/.328/.407/.735 OPSA
Med Lev, .225/.303/.385/.689 OPSA
Low Lev, .236/.288/.389/.677 OPSA

Heilman, career

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=heilmaa01&year=Career&t=p

High Lev, .288/.389/.450/.839 OPSA Shocked
Med Lev, .262/.341/.409/.749 OPSA
Low Lev, .210/.280/.330/.610 OPSA

AJ: Look man, you don't know what it's like - I'm the one out there every day putting his ass on the line. And I'm not out of order! You're out of order! The whole freaking system is out of order! You want the truth? You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! 'Cause when you reach over and put your hand into a pile of goo that was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do!! Forget it man, it's Chinatown!!!

Levski: AJ, don't ever use Heilman in meaningful situations again!!

AJ (sheepishly): Yes, sir.

Now that right there is funny, Laughing
Prosopis
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueArb wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
ValueArb wrote:

Link

If I retract my statement of bias can I accuse you of being pedantic instead?

I should have thrown out the fancy term "reversion to the mean" instead of using recency bias. But it doesn't really matter because you were right and my assumptions were wrong. Is that enough of an apology or are you going to force me to grovel:(?

I am good with groveling. Just kidding
I dont know about all of these numbers but i do know that Qualls does not look good and has rarely looked good. Something needs to be done and should have been done a while ago.
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of everything, Qualls really seems to have lost his stuff this year. Whether it's the knee or the nerves, the drop in velocity and the general crapitation of his stuff is painfully obvious to everyone...
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
On top of everything, Qualls really seems to have lost his stuff this year. Whether it's the knee or the nerves, the drop in velocity and the general crapitation of his stuff is painfully obvious to everyone...

maybe he just needs a tall catcher Wink
moviegeekjn
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:

It's bad when the "best" that Sutton and Grace have to say about Qualls is that he "says the right things" in the post game mortems.
NJ-DBACKS-FAN
Number Retired

Location: At 25/73 CY24 will make me drop my pants. count down: 8 hr 10 rbi to go

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

It's bad when the "best" that Sutton and Grace have to say about Qualls is that he "says the right things" in the post game mortems.

atleast we wont get a "Chad S.T.F.U." thread Wink
july 7-17 | aug |sept/oct

im getting close to getting on the blow it up bus Sad
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

Dont tempt him Laughing
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

Dont tempt him Laughing

Well, Chad has been quiet, give him credit
Justin
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levski wrote:
Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

Dont tempt him Laughing

Unless you count the sound of the ball making solid contact after he pitches it...
matt
Face of the Franchise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
levski wrote:
Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
moviegeekjn wrote:
levski wrote:

Dont tempt him Laughing

Unless you count the sound of the ball making solid contact after he pitches it...

I lol'd
levski
Number Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/81905
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Diamondbacks Bullpen Forum Index -> Team News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: